• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeth

I'd do an exchange, but plunk down the money on an order for a non-reference card. Reference 7970s are *really* loud.

*edit*

Goodness gracious, Microcenter doesn't have any non-reference 7970s.

I think I'm just "settling" with a Twin Frozr 680. The 4GB 680s they carry are reference as well.

edit: My Antec BP550w should be ok? Total system draw at load should be <400w. It's roughly the 1k build from OP, 3570k.

2San

So is there a difference in FPS between reference and non reference?
I imagine those with non-reference coolers being easier to overclock. If you don't overclock it should be the same performance wise. Though sometimes they do factory overclock it before selling(You can check the clock speeds in the specs list).

kennah

MSI Z77IA-E53

or

Asrock Z77E-ITX

or

Asus P8Z77-I

?

I like that the MSI and Asrock have a mSATA slot, but I'm more likely to use the 2xeSATA slots on the Asus sooner. I'll likely be using a Hyper 212 and doesn't the Asrock have compatibility problems with it? The MSI seems to be the same layout so I'm suspecting it'll be a problem there too.

mkenyon

Banned
I love AA. That's my biggest problem right now, I can't get enough. 1440p monitor is my next upgrade.
I'm not so sure 680 is a good bet with that in mind. If only microcenter had some non-reference cards....

What do you think about installing an aftermarket cooler?
So is there a difference in FPS between reference and non reference?
If there is a factory overclock, yeah. But, it's about noise and temps mostly.
MSI Z77IA-E53

or

Asrock Z77E-ITX

or

Asus P8Z77-I

?

I like that the MSI and Asrock have a mSATA slot, but I'm more likely to use the 2xeSATA slots on the Asus sooner. I'll likely be using a Hyper 212 and doesn't the Asrock have compatibility problems with it? The MSI seems to be the same layout so I'm suspecting it'll be a problem there too.
The major issue with these is that they interfere with a variety of aftermarket coolers. The Corsair H Series, for example, doesn't fit on the ASRock unless you cut out a bit of the backplate as it interferes with the mSATA slot. Tom's, IIRC, did a review of all the Z77 ITX boards, read that.

kami_sama

So, I can get the Gigabyte 7950 windforce for 292 euros, and a Sapphire one for 265.

It isn't worth the 30 euros (about $40) of difference, right?

kennah

The major issue with these is that they interfere with a variety of aftermarket coolers. The Corsair H Series, for example, doesn't fit on the ASRock unless you cut out a bit of the backplate as it interferes with the mSATA slot. Tom's, IIRC, did a review of all the Z77 ITX boards, read that.

Hmm... guess I'll go with the P8Z77 then and follow your SFF guide for the Prodigy.

cyen

I'm not so sure 680 is a good bet with that in mind. If only microcenter had some non-reference cards....

If there is a factory overclock, yeah. But, it's about noise and temps mostly.

I have a Asrock z77e-itx myself and the backplate of the Corsair H60/100 fits, just barelly but without any mods.

kennah

I have a Asrock z77e-itx myself and the backplate of the Corsair H60/100 fits, just barelly but without any mods.

It was your post that got me angsting about motherboards and looking at the ASRock :p Unfortunately, I have 3.5" hard drives, so I don't have room for a reservoir (since there is no point in watercooling the CPU and not the video card as well).

cyen

It was your post that got me angsting about motherboards and looking at the ASRock :p Unfortunately, I have 3.5" hard drives, so I don't have room for a reservoir (since there is no point in watercooling the CPU and not the video card as well).

If you remove the second HDD cage it still leaves you room for two HDD´s (or three, dont remember, but if you want can open the case to double check) and some space on the top the the cage for a reservoir.

kennah

If you remove the second HDD cage it still leaves you room for two HDD´s (or three, dont remember, but if you want can open the case to double check) and some space on the top the the cage for a reservoir.

Leaves room for two. I need to remove the top cage for the 670 anyway. I guess it would be possible to snug a reservoir in next to it.

This might be a dumb question - is there any reason I couldn't just set up two closed loop systems? One for the CPU and one for the video card? Like buy two H60s and just remove the cpu block on one and hook it up to the video card block.

I'm not going for insane overclocks, it's a living room computer so I'd like to have it be kinda quiet.

mkenyon

Banned
Oh really.... interesting.
Leaves room for two. I need to remove the top cage for the 670 anyway. I guess it would be possible to snug a reservoir in next to it.

This might be a dumb question - is there any reason I couldn't just set up two closed loop systems? One for the CPU and one for the video card? Like buy two H60s and just remove the cpu block on one and hook it up to the video card block.

I'm not going for insane overclocks, it's a living room computer so I'd like to have it be kinda quiet.
Get good case fans and a quiet GPU.

*edit* In my morning business, I forgot that I already sold you your GPU. Heh.

cyen

There´s no reason why u cant use two H60, but if u dont want some uber oc u can just get a card with a good stock cooler and youre good to go.

mkenyon

Banned
Well, if you want room for HDDs plus water cooling, you're barking up the wrong tree with ITX.

ITX water cooling leaves room for one or two SSDs.

kennah

Well, if you want room for HDDs plus water cooling, you're barking up the wrong tree with ITX.

ITX water cooling leaves room for one or two SSDs.
The Prodigy will actually fit 4x 2.5" drives with all cages removed. It is that awesome. (Two on the door panel and two mounted perpendicular to the psu) if I could afford it I would just pick up 2x 1tb 2.5" drives

Edit : and yeah the quiet gpu train has sailed :)

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah. Try mounting a 2.5" HDD directly to the chassis. That's the opposite of quiet.

Also, that side panel where you would mount some of the other ones needs to be cleaned up in order to make room for a reservoir.

Oyashiro

Hey dudes,

Ill try to keep this short. Never built a PC before, have always wanted to have a gaming PC and I think its about time to join the master race. I'll be selling my overpriced MacBook Air and putting some cash on top of whatever I get in order to buy a tablet and a new gaming PC. The PC will be used mostly for gaming (and emulators), some 720p/1080p movie watching, and... yeah, that's probably about it. Everything else Ill do on the tablet.

Your Current Specs: No specs whatsoever, I dont have a desktop. Here is what Im planning on going for, though. http://d.pr/i/5Q55
Budget: 400-550 (absolute max, would prefer to keep it around 500)
Main Use: Gaming: 5, Emulation (PS2/Wii) 4, Video Editing: 1, HD Streaming 3, 3D/Model work 0, General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback): 2.
Monitor Resolution: I will be plugging it in to my 40" 1080p TV through HDMI.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: I want to be able to play most (hopefully ALL) modern games at a minimum of medium settings. By modern games I mean Far Cry 3, Borderlands 2, Skyrim, and so on. Ideally, I'd like to be able to play things on high settings. FPS is pretty important to me, so a minimum of 30fps on modern games is a MUST.
When will you build?: Probably in April. So yeah, I can wait a few months to buy the parts.
Will you be overclocking?: I would assume so, yes.

Additional info: I would like to house all of this in one of those smaller, compact cases.

I'll take suggestions of better pricing for certain items, or anything in particular. I basically have no idea what Im doing.

Coming down to a decision on a gaming PC:

It's between an Alienware X51, with these key specs:

i5 3450 CPU
GTX 660 videocard
6GB Ram
1TB HD
$899

and an XPS 8500 Special Edition:
i7 3770
GTX 660 videocard
12GB RAM
2TB HD, 32GB SSD cache
blu-ray drive
$1078

I'm leaning towards the XPS, because all the extras/upgrades seem worth an extra $178. Thoughts?

i5 3450 CPU
GTX 660 videocard
6GB Ram
1TB HD
$899

i7 3770
GTX 660 videocard
12GB RAM
2TB HD, 32GB SSD cache
blu-ray drive
$1078

I'm leaning towards the XPS, because all the extras/upgrades seem worth an extra $178. Thoughts?

I will always tell someobdy to build their own but I think you have set your mind on this.
Get the XPS 8500 Special Edition.

garath

i5 3450 CPU
GTX 660 videocard
6GB Ram
1TB HD
$899

i7 3770
GTX 660 videocard
12GB RAM
2TB HD, 32GB SSD cache
blu-ray drive
$1078

If it's between those two, X51 all the way. Upgrade the 660 to a 660ti with the extra $178 if you can. You'll get a lot more out of it for gaming.

If it's between those two, X51 all the way. Upgrade the 660 to a 660ti with the extra $178 if you can. You'll get a lot more out of it for gaming.

Well, if I got the X51 with a standard card, it'd be significantly less, between $100-$150 less.

EDIT: I could get an X51 with i5, 8gb RAM, 1TB HD with a NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 640 1GB GDDR5 card for $783

Akai__

Well, if I got the X51 with a standard card, it'd be significantly less, between $100-$150 less.

EDIT: I could get an X51 with i5, 8gb RAM, 1TB HD with a NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 640 1GB GDDR5 card for $783

May I ask you, why you are not considering, to build your own PC?

The 660 in the X51 is basically a 660 Ti iirc.

Was just going to post this, too. Good, that I'm not the only one remembering this.

May I ask you, why you are not considering to build your own PC?

Was just going to post this, too. Good, that I'm not the only one remembering this.

Don't know how to, the extra $150ish isn't a big deal to me.

People I have spoken with say the few hours and stress getting everything right makes the bit extra worth it.

It is done!

iILW2bxMCudD2.png

Price in Euros. I wanted to go with the Gigabyte 7950 but the MSI version came with Crysis 3 and Bioshock Infinite.

Irobot82

i5 3450 CPU
GTX 660 videocard
6GB Ram
1TB HD
$899

i7 3770
GTX 660 videocard
12GB RAM
2TB HD, 32GB SSD cache
blu-ray drive
$1078

6GB and 12GB, doesn't that mean this ram isn't in DUAL channel? Are you sure you don't want to build? It's almost impossible to break stuff nowadays.

kennah

Don't know how to, the extra $150ish isn't a big deal to me.

People I have spoken with say the few hours and stress getting everything right makes the bit extra worth it.
There are great guides in this thread and we have helped more than a few gaffers through their first build. Where are you located?

dave_m123

Guys,

Do any of you now how to have the volume in windows go over its standard levels. Mine always seems to be quiet even when the volume is turned all the way up. Just wondering if there is a program or utility you can download to make it go to say 200% of its normal level.

mkenyon

Banned
^^^^^^^^
They're not, the CPU won't make a difference in 90% of all games.
400MHz difference between the two, which is not insubstantial. That'll make a difference in nearly 100% of all games. Some minor, others more so.

i5 3450 CPU
GTX 660 videocard
6GB Ram
1TB HD
$899

i7 3770
GTX 660 videocard
12GB RAM
2TB HD, 32GB SSD cache
blu-ray drive
$1078

The top is what I'd go with if you aren't dead set on always having the best performance. The major trade off with buying a pre built is that you lose out on 20-30% CPU performance due to the locked nature of pre-built BIOS.

Not trying to convince you, but just so you understand what you would otherwise have.

DTKT

Guys,

Do any of you now how to have the volume in windows go over its standard levels. Mine always seems to be quiet even when the volume is turned all the way up. Just wondering if there is a program or utility you can download to make it go to say 200% of its normal level.

Make sure that the application specific volume slider is also up. I have a weird issue where the main volume controller doesn't control the sliders for application and I need to turn those up too.

dave_m123

Make sure that the applocation specific volume slider is also up. I have a weird issue where the main volume controller doesn't control the sliders for application and I need to turn those up too.

Tried that and also tried enabling volume enhancement in the sound properties and nothing.

400MHz difference between the two, which is not insubstantial. That'll make a difference in nearly 100% of all games. Some minor, others more so.

The top is what I'd go with if you aren't dead set on always having the best performance. The major trade off with buying a pre built is that you lose out on 20-30% CPU performance due to the locked nature of pre-built BIOS.

Not trying to convince you, but just so you understand what you would otherwise have.

I have no idea what either one of those pictures means, other than it's something about Dota 2, haha.

appaws

Banned
Hello Greatest Thread on the planet. Quick couple questions

My Rig:
i5 3570k @ 4.2 (Fixed 1.080v)
Hyper 212
Gigabyte 7950
TX650M PSU
Corsair 400R

1. I have the 212 on my CPU, but I am wondering about going to something like an H100 or similar. My question is about how much an improvement can I expect performance and temp wise. I have a very gentle 4.2 on my 3570 now, with temps maxing at around 70C using IBT.

2. How is the Corsair 400R for liquid cooling?

mkenyon

Banned
1. The 212 should theoretically take it to the heat wall. Think about replacing the fan with two Corsar SP 120s, two Arctic Cooling F12s, or a pair of Swiftech Helix (es? is? what is plural of Helix?). Maybe a remount with different TIM if you are fighting for every degree possible. The heatwall will exist somewhere between 4.4-4.7 GHz.

Use Prime 95 Small FFT to determine max temp. IBT results are insular, in that, IBT is the only place where they exist. Even Small FFT is waaaay above anything you would get in gaming, but more realistic if you were to do something like encoding/ripping.

2. Liquid cooling as in an H100? At $100, I don't think it's worth it over the Define R4 or Arc Midi R2 (out this month). The Corsair C70 has also gone on sale for near that amount tons this month, might still be there. The C70 has much better build quality than the usual Corsair 'meh' quality.

*edit*

Oh, you already have it. It's not bad at all. Do a quick search on '400R 240mm radiator', but I think it should fit in the top just fine.

Zeth

Interesting. Aftermarket cooler never crossed my mind, any suggestions?

I don't know much about the performance differences between a single 680 vs 7970, most of the reviews/benchmarks I find are a year old. I have the Antec BP550 PSU, would a 7970 be ok on it?

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah, would be fine.

I will say, that as far as high resolution gaming goes, there isn't a whole lot of data to give a concrete stance on which card is better right now. I can tell you though, that the 7970 is a much more powerful card in terms of raw power. With some recent issues that were uncovered, AMD may have found the secret to giving that kind of smooth performance that people get with NVIDIA cards, and have already made some serious strides to get there.

From every way I look at it, the 680 seems very short lived. The 7970 has legs.

As far as coolers go, the Prolimatech MK-26 is famazing. Pair it with some nice 120mm high pressure fans, and you've got yourself an insanely quiet card with very low temps. With the overhead that exists on 7970s in terms of overclocking, that kind of cooler will allow you to unlock that potential witout having to pay the price in acoustics.

Zeth

Yeah, would be fine.

I will say, that as far as high resolution gaming goes, there isn't a whole lot of data to give a concrete stance on which card is better right now. I can tell you though, that the 7970 is a much more powerful card in terms of raw power. With some recent issues that were uncovered, AMD may have found the secret to giving that kind of smooth performance that people get with NVIDIA cards, and have already made some serious strides to get there.

From every way I look at it, the 680 seems very short lived. The 7970 has legs.

As far as coolers go, the Prolimatech MK-26 is famazing. Pair it with some nice 120mm high pressure fans, and you've got yourself an insanely quiet card with very low temps. With the overhead that exists on 7970s in terms of overclocking, that kind of cooler will allow you to unlock that potential witout having to pay the price in acoustics.

Re: high res gaming, it's something I might do in the future. For the time being (and probably the rest of the year) I'm at 1080P/60hz. For the cooler installation: It's not much more difficult than a 212 evo install is it? Should be fine with that. I am still considering NVidia though, these decisions are harder than the original build! I'll probably go to Microcenter tomorrow and decide in the store, feels old-fashioned, hah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom