• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koroviev

Alright well i guess it is time to start talking about getting a new PC.

This is the build I made. My budget is $600-700. I'd be using for gaming mainly, hopefully running games such as Gw2, Sc2, Dayz SA, etc. on Very High-Ultra at 60fps or preferably higher. I used a lot of the suggestions from the builds in the OP, but I'm not really sure on graphics cards. How does a GTX650 fair? Is a $150ish AMD card more worth it? Also does it matter that the motherboard has an onboard USB 3.0 header but the case doesn't have front panel USB 3.0 ports? Also I would be buying in the next few months, not right now, so consider that too.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated since... I think I kind of know what I'm doing (probably not). Thanks!

GTX 650 is lousy. Go with AMD if you're on a budget and don't need CUDA.

Koroviev

Recommendations?

Edit: Also, big difference between 1GB and 2GB cards?

I would pursue the 7850.

And the amount of VRAM you need depends on your resolution and your settings. If you're using a 1080p monitor and you're looking to implement various mods with AA and other effects, a 2GB card is the way to go.

Edit: Oh, and I was just looking over your build. Go with the 3570K. It's typically ~$220, so it doesn't make sense to pursue the Sandy Bridge model when the price difference is so negligible.

I would pursue the 7850.

Edit: Oh, and I was just looking over your build. Go with the 3570K. It's typically ~$220, so it doesn't make sense to pursue the Sandy Bridge model when the price difference is so negligible.

Is there a difference between manufacturers? Some have it for cheaper but I don't really see the difference.

And thanks I will do that!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
How is this deal for a power supply?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-020813-Index-_-PowerSupplies-_-17171067-L07A

I don't particularly need the upgrade, but my brother needs a PSU so I am going to give him my current 550w one. I might want to sli my gtx 670 in the future, so I am looking in the 650-750w range. I prefer modular, but I would not be against semi or non modular.
Seems alright enough. At least it's using proper caps. http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1304-page3.html
I don't know much about the OEM though.
Alright well i guess it is time to start talking about getting a new PC.

This is the build I made. My budget is $600-700. I'd be using for gaming mainly, hopefully running games such as Gw2, Sc2, Dayz SA, etc. on Very High-Ultra at 60fps or preferably higher. I used a lot of the suggestions from the builds in the OP, but I'm not really sure on graphics cards. How does a GTX650 fair? Is a $150ish AMD card more worth it? Also does it matter that the motherboard has an onboard USB 3.0 header but the case doesn't have front panel USB 3.0 ports? Also I would be buying in the next few months, not right now, so consider that too.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated since... I think I kind of know what I'm doing (probably not). Thanks!
7850 for graphics.
3570K on CPU
2x4GB of RAM. You want two sticks.
Recommendations?

Edit: Also, big difference between 1GB and 2GB cards?
Get 2GB
What's the single 7 series card equivalent to 2x6950s?
OC'd 7970

Koroviev

Is there a difference between manufacturers? Some have it for cheaper but I don't really see the difference.

And thanks I will do that!

Different cooling schemes, basically. Check reviews for non-reference cards. MSI and Gigabyte in particular have made great cards this generation.

appaws

Banned
1. The 212 should theoretically take it to the heat wall. Think about replacing the fan with two Corsar SP 120s, two Arctic Cooling F12s, or a pair of Swiftech Helix (es? is? what is plural of Helix?). Maybe a remount with different TIM if you are fighting for every degree possible. The heatwall will exist somewhere between 4.4-4.7 GHz.

Use Prime 95 Small FFT to determine max temp. IBT results are insular, in that, IBT is the only place where they exist. Even Small FFT is waaaay above anything you would get in gaming, but more realistic if you were to do something like encoding/ripping.

2. Liquid cooling as in an H100? At $100, I don't think it's worth it over the Define R4 or Arc Midi R2 (out this month). The Corsair C70 has also gone on sale for near that amount tons this month, might still be there. The C70 has much better build quality than the usual Corsair 'meh' quality.

*edit*

Oh, you already have it. It's not bad at all. Do a quick search on '400R 240mm radiator', but I think it should fit in the top just fine.

Thanks for the input. How long do you run Small FFTs for in Prime? How long does it take to "max" out the cpu temperature wise using it?

People's recommendations on the interwebs are all over the place as far as how to OC and how to test.

I think I have been being pretty conservative and maybe I can go up somewhat closer to the Ivy Bridge wall with just the 212.

Just put it at 4.5 @1.18v. Ran small FFT for 30 mins and temp maxed out at 78c.

ziadoz

Neo Member
I'm finally looking to get back into PC gaming after what feels like an eternity. Ideally I'd like to keep the final price below $1000 CAD: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/CZEu

I also had a couple of quick questions:

Should I spend more on a GPU? I could afford probably afford a GTX 660 or 7870. And are there any particular GPU brands I should be favouring or avoiding?

Is there any benefit to a GPU with more memory? I notice AMD cards can vary from 1-3GB for example.

Is it worth the extra cost for a motherboard with Crossfire/SLI so I can chuck in a second card in the future, or is better to just upgrade to a whole new card?

How is water cooling these days? I'd prefer an H60 instead over an EVO, but I've always been a bit nervous about having water around electronics.

I live in a pretty dry climate, is an anti static wrist strip worth having for the build? I've done builds in the past, but in a total different climate, but I never had to worry about static before.

Appreciate the help.

Koroviev

I'm finally looking to get back into PC gaming after what feels like an eternity. Ideally I'd like to keep the final price below $1000 CAD: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/CZEu

Should I spend more on a GPU? I could afford probably afford a GTX 660 or 7870. And are there any particular GPU brands I should be favouring or avoiding?

Is there any benefit to a GPU with more memory? I notice AMD cards can vary from 1-3GB for example.

Is it worth the extra cost for a motherboard with Crossfire/SLI so I can chuck in a second card in the future, or is better to just upgrade to a whole new card?

How is water cooling these days? I'd prefer an H60 instead over an EVO, but I've always been a bit nervous about having water around electronics.

I live in a pretty dry climate, is an anti static wrist strip worth having for the build? I've done builds in the past, but in a total different climate, but I never had to worry about static before.

Appreciate the help.

If you're going to spend ~$250, I would just go all the way and get the Gigabyte 7950 (3GB) for ~$300.

More VRAM means the ability to downsample, implement AA + mods, etc.

CF/SLI still have issues. Stick with one card unless you're hitting a wall in terms of graphics power.

The H60 is a closed-loop liquid cooler. There's no maintenance involved. Just install and you're on your merry way. Here's a video if you're nervous. Nothing to it.

Plug in the power cable and make sure the rocker switch is set to "0." Touch an uncoated/unpainted metal portion of the case and you're grounded. Pro tips include not shuffling across the floor in socks prior to touching components and avoiding building PCs during electrical storms.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

Appreciate the help.
7950. New cards are a ways away, you get some nice games. It'll last.
EVO will do fabulous. H60 looks nicer. Not a big difference because of the way Ivy behaves.
LK does SLI and xFire
Strap shouldn't be needed, just touch your psu/case every so often. Buy it if it makes you feel better.

lmpaler

So how bad is this micro stuttering problem with AMD 7000 series? As I plan on CFing 7950's on my build, I will be mildly upset to have this problem happen.

Well, after trying to figure out the ultimate setup, I opted to go with a 3 monitor nvidia surround setup using 3 21.5" IPS panels (Dell S2240M). The glass Dell's are just awesome looking in the color department. I found a 23" version to look at in person. I have no direct sunlight in my office, so reflections aren't a major concern, I just hope they don't reflect off EACHOTHER too much.

I went and looked at some displays again, and I just can not deal with the off angle color shifting of TN panels. 120hz or not, I couldn't bring myself to it.

I'm a skyrim player, not a quake live player. Dirt 3 looks like the best time ever on 3 monitors. Can't wait to try it out.

I really hope I made the right decision with 2 670's instead of 7950's. Micro stutter drives me absolutely nuts, and I'm going to be pissed if AMD gets their shit together with that ... seems like they're on their way. (I'll be happy for it's owners tho .. no hard feelings! I have a 4870!)

GAF, what's my weakest link?

MB: ASRock P67 PRO3
CPU: 2500k @ 4.1
GPU: 1 GB Twin Frozr 560 TI, core clock @ 975, shaders @ 1950
RAM: 2x4 GB 1.25V 1600 MHz G.Skill Sniper
PSU: OCZ ModXStream 700 W
SSD-OS: Vertex 2 40 GB
SSD-Other: Intel 120 GB
Sound: Xonar DG

Using a single 60 Hz, 1080p monitor. Thinking the GPU would be the potential bottleneck?

Needs more SSD.

Dammit GAF, you're making me want to upgrade. I'm thinking of upgrading the GPU. Wanting to spend $150-250. I think the 7850 2 GB is my best bet? Just worried it's too much of a side-grade from my 560 Ti 1 GB. Might just be better to hold out until the next iteration of cards and then see what $200-250 can get me.

Just noticed I can get a 7870 for $215 after rebate. Hmm.

Dammit GAF, you're making me want to upgrade. I'm thinking of upgrading the GPU. Wanting to spend $150-250. I think the 7850 2 GB is my best bet? Just worried it's too much of a side-grade from my 560 Ti 1 GB. Might just be better to hold out until the next iteration of cards and then see what $200-250 can get me.

You could get a 7870 for $230 after rebate: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007HYIRES/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Well I got a pretty similar build and I'm also planning on upgrading my GPU soon, probably to either a 7950 or a 670 whenever I see a good deal (I'm hoping around the time the Titan is released). My plan is to keep whatever I get until the new cards from nvidia/amd drop from their launch prices which should give me about a year of solid use. Just a thought

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

Hard cap? Used 7950.
Soft cap? New 7950.

ziadoz

Neo Member
If you're going to spend ~$250, I would just go all the way and get the Gigabyte 7950 (3GB) for ~$300.

More VRAM means the ability to downsample, implement AA + mods, etc.

CF/SLI still have issues. Stick with one card unless you're hitting a wall in terms of graphics power.

The H60 is a closed-loop liquid cooler. There's no maintenance involved. Just install and you're on your merry way. Here's a video if you're nervous. Nothing to it.

Plug in the power cable and make sure the rocker switch is set to "0." Touch an uncoated/unpainted metal portion of the case and you're grounded. Pro tips include not shuffling across the floor in socks prior to touching components and avoiding building PCs during electrical storms.

7950. New cards are a ways away, you get some nice games. It'll last.
EVO will do fabulous. H60 looks nicer. Not a big difference because of the way Ivy behaves.
LK does SLI and xFire
Strap shouldn't be needed, just touch your psu/case every so often. Buy it if it makes you feel better.

Thanks for the quick replies.

Gotcha, I'll forget about SLI/Crossfire support, it doesn't sound like it's worth the hassle.

You put my mind at ease about using a liquid cooler, but I think I'll go with EVO as it'll give me a little more money to put towards a 7950.

I think I'll grab an anti-static wrist stap just for peace of mind. I get a shock from just about every door handle and light switch I touch so I wouldn't want to risk it.

Koroviev

Thanks for the quick replies.

Gotcha, I'll forget about SLI/Crossfire support, it doesn't sound like it's worth the hassle.

You put my mind at ease about using a liquid cooler, but I think I'll go with EVO as it'll give me a little more money to put towards a 7950.

I think I'll grab an anti-static wrist stap just for peace of mind. I get a shock from just about every door handle and light switch I touch so I wouldn't want to risk it.

Wow, it didn't link the right video at all.

tbro777

Neo Member
Im thinking of building myself a computer, first time, but from what i've read doesn't seem that difficult.

Was curious to what people here think of going with an amd apu setup rather than a discrete graphics card. Was thinking of using an a8 5600k with 8GB ram. I don't need to play games on the highest settings, looking for medium to high settings at either 720p or 1080p and from what i've read seems like these apus seem to do a decent job of that.

So anyone here have a build using an apu? If so please share your thoughts

Irobot82

True....

http://secure.us.ncix.com/products/?sku=72914&promoid=1312

This work?

edit:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/598?vs=647

I put them together and they don't seem too different. Idk if its worth the 100 extra

If you're going this nVidia, I'd recommend the 670. The 660ti only has a 192bit bus width so it's memory controller works with an odd number. In the end, when using AA it breaks down performance very quickly. A 7870 XT would be a much better buy. But if you insist on nVidia try to get the 670

TX3 has very subpar performance cooling for the price. Any other rifle style cooler (Xigmatek, Zalman, EVO 212) will be better.

CX430W replaces the Seasonic built CX400W. The new 430 is a poor ~380W real substitute for that supply built on a different design from higher quality Corsair PSUs. The Antec 450 is cheap as dirt and works great (Also not really effective 450W, but it's better).

Case wise... I think you can do better, but maybe not given availability and pricing.

Ah alright I will look into the Evo 212 and Xigmatek and Zalman again, thank you! Honestly the main reason I went for a TX3 instead of the Evo 212 for myself was me watching Youtube installation videos from the 212 and I thought "Oh dear I will never manage to install this thing without breaking something..." and the TX3 had the default AMD mounting bracket :p

As for the PSU, I will look around for a Antec and see if I can find one somewhere else as my usual shops list "Delivery date unknown" for them :(

And if I can squeeze some more money out somewhere I would be willing to look for another case but he explicitly told me that the case should be a afterthought aslong as it cools "okay" and that I rather should add more power into the PC.

And since I want to get the order out today, lets simplify my main concern a bit, what would net him better performance on the long run: i5 + GTX 660 or Phenom II + GTX 660 Ti?

Most of my friends seem to opt for a i5 + GTX 660 and I believe them but you can never have too many opinions so please give me your opinions on this GAF as I have to place the order ideally in the next four hours!

BraXzy

Hey so my current set up isn't working out for me, I have my PC set up to my TV and I just sort of lie against some pillows at the end of my bed. It's comfy for movie/gaming uses but when I need to do work it makes me drowsy which is baaaad for productivity.

So I'm gonna get a set up in the corner on a desk.. Question is, what monitor do I get? I was looking at this one, anyone got it?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008DCLQ8C/

kennah

I would get that new seeing how dirty heatsinks can get. Then again, my last case was junk for airflow and being tighter on dust prevention.
It is coming from a friend who upgraded to water. I'm not too worried :)

Now if only the Prollimatech weren't so hard to find in Canada.

Salaadin

Looking at getting a new case. The OP is very well done. Practically everything I needed was there.

Ive narrowed down to 2 that I like:

-Coolermaster HAF XM looks to be pretty similar to the Antec 900 that I have now. Looks to be pretty damn cool.

-Fractal Design Define R4 is my favorite looks wise. Its so simple and sleek looking. I wonder about cooling though. Is it efficient enough? Im sure itll be fine but figured Id ask.
The SSD mounts in that thing look nice and cable management looks really good...which is the biggest problem with my Antec 900.

kennah

Looking at getting a new case. The OP is very well done. Practically everything I needed was there.

Ive narrowed down to 2 that I like:

-Coolermaster HAF XM looks to be pretty similar to the Antec 900 that I have now. Looks to be pretty damn cool.

-Fractal Design Define R4 is my favorite looks wise. Its so simple and sleek looking. I wonder about cooling though. Is it efficient enough? Im sure itll be fine but figured Id ask.
The SSD mounts in that thing look nice and cable management looks really good...which is the biggest problem with my Antec 900.

If it helps and you are in the States, the R4 is $80 right now at ncix. 90 with window

Salaadin

If it helps and you are in the States, the R4 is $80 right now at ncix. 90 with window

Oh damn. That does help.
The whole reason Im shopping now is to keep an eye out for deals before Im ready to build. Itd be foolish to let this one slip by. Ill make up my mind today. Thanks!

A part of me just wants to upgrade now. Im getting impatient.

DJ_Lae

What's the problem mentioned in the op with 2gb wd greens by the way? Newegg has a promo for them too ($84.99) right now.

They're fine as storage drives but I wouldn't go running any games off them.

I believe they run at 5400rpm as part of their ability to run cooler and quieter with less power draw (though to be honest the difference there is minor). I have a handful, two for storage and two in a NAS.

I donated my old computer to my parents since it's a lot faster than their old one. However, the graphics card is really loud (it's a crappy version with a single small fan). Can anyone recommend a good alternative that is silent and cheap? It will mostly be used to for browsing the internet and Microsoft Office, but my dad occasionally wants to try to play a game.

Current specs:
• CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 940 3 GHz
• GPU: ATI Radeon HD 4890
• RAM: 4GB
• SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB

A friend of mine is trying to get rid of a brand new ASUS Radeon HD7850 2GB DirectCU II so I could probably get that for a bit below market price. Would that be a waste of money? All forms of advice are appreciated.

They're fine as storage drives but I wouldn't go running any games off them.

I believe they run at 5400rpm as part of their ability to run cooler and quieter with less power draw (though to be honest the difference there is minor). I have a handful, two for storage and two in a NAS.

I have one of these as my main Steam drive, plus an SSD for my frequently-played games, and honestly I can't tell the difference between the hard drive and the SSD for 90% of my games. The write speed isn't great, but the read speed is totally fine for most games (IIRC it's comparable to the 1TB Caviar Blacks that everyone was picking up a couple years ago).

Zeth

In a choice between gigabyte wind force and msi twin frozr, which 680 do you choose? Have the msi in hands right now because I liked my previous twin frozr, but i don't see a huge difference between the two.

Edit: Frozr it is. Please excuse this panicked post from my phone.

Shambles

I donated my old computer to my parents since it's a lot faster than their old one. However, the graphics card is really loud (it's a crappy version with a single small fan). Can anyone recommend a good alternative that is silent and cheap? It will mostly be used to for browsing the internet and Microsoft Office, but my dad occasionally wants to try to play a game.

Current specs:
• CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 940 3 GHz
• GPU: ATI Radeon HD 4890
• RAM: 4GB
• SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB

A friend of mine is trying to get rid of a brand new ASUS Radeon HD7850 2GB DirectCU II so I could probably get that for a bit below market price. Would that be a waste of money? All forms of advice are appreciated.

I have found the 7750 in my HTPC to be surprising capable as far as gaming goes. Even though on paper it wasn't supposed to be that much stronger than the 4870 it replaced it felt like a massive upgrade in both framerate and frame smoothness. It also does not require any PCIE power connections (Not that that's a problem if you already have a 4890 in there). Specifically what games does your dad play?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom