• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHADES

Been thinking about selling my PS4 and tablet/laptop to go towards a gaming PC.

Sorry if this is frowned upon or anything but can someone check out this list and tell me if there are any obvious alterations (upgrades or downgrades welcome):
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sc6M4D

I'm looking for cost effectiveness but also something that will last a while. Also, is $218 the best price I'll find on a 4670k for a while? I'm not in a rush but trying to get the best pricing I can.

I'm seriously thinking about chopping in my PS4, camera, 5 games, 2 DS4's and getting a GTX 780 ti or R9 290.

You're not alone :)

Kal1138

Neo Member
I'm almost ready to start! The only thing missing is the GPU (GTX 780 Ti) which I should have tomorrow. I also got a Samsung 840 EVO 500 GB that I forgot to include in the picture.

M2PhXnn.jpg

I just wanted to quote myself and say I did it! So far everything is working correctly. I'm actually posting from the new PC now. I just need to install the GPU when it arrives tomorrow and do some more cable management.

Any user files (documents, pictures, etc) I should move from the SSD to one of my HDDs (and would changing the location of those from the properties be enough)? What should I and shouldn't I store to the SDD?

Anything I should check/test now that I have (almost) everything up and running? Also, should I overclock my 4790K (I have never done it)?

Thanks for any replies.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Its gonna be okay bro, just get a good cooler and OC that CPU. Its still a beast.

Good news! I overclocked my CPU to 4.0 GHz and I now get 3DMark of 9000 (up from 8865).

The GPU hasn't been overclocked and is still running at 947 MHz. The catalyst drivers seem wonky to me but I haven't boosted GPU speeds in years. I'm trying to understand what percentage to boost it by. Any suggestions? (My PSU is at 500W but pushes a lot of amps over the PCIE 8 pin connectors... I may have a tiny bit of breathing room -- LOL! The GPU package says it recommends 650W PSU... ain't nobody got time to listen to all that!).

mkenyon

Banned
Good news! I overclocked my CPU to 4.0 GHz and I now get 3DMark of 9000 (up from 8865).

The GPU hasn't been overclocked and is still running at 947 MHz. The catalyst drivers seem wonky to me but I haven't boosted GPU speeds in years. I'm trying to understand what percentage to boost it by. Any suggestions? (My PSU is at 500W but pushes a lot of amps over the PCIE 8 pin connectors... I may have a tiny bit of breathing room -- LOL! The GPU package says it recommends 650W PSU... ain't nobody got time to listen to all that!).
Use MSI Afterburner and increase core clock to 1050 or thereabouts. Should be stable. If not, scale back until it is.

If it is stable feel free to push further.
Any user files (documents, pictures, etc) I should move from the SSD to one of my HDDs (and would changing the location of those from the properties be enough)? What should I and shouldn't I store to the SDD?

Anything I should check/test now that I have (almost) everything up and running? Also, should I overclock my 4790K (I have never done it)?

Thanks for any replies.
Feel free to keep everything on the SSD that you want.

The stock frequency in games of the 4790K is 4.2GHz, which is pretty good. You'll not likely notice a difference at 4.6 GHz outside of a few games unless you run a 120Hz panel.

shandy706

If anyone is interested, I'm selling my GTX 660 Ti and a copy of Watch Dogs for the PC.

Galaxy GTX 660 Ti
Factory Overclocked
1344 CUDA Cores
2GB GDDR5

HERE in buy/sell/trade.

I don't want to cross post the whole thing, but I figure the PC guys may be interested. Pics at link.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Use MSI Afterburner and increase core clock to 1050 or thereabouts. Should be stable. If not, scale back until it is.

If it is stable feel free to push further.

OMG! Mkenyon, you're my new hero <3!!

I set the clock to 1050 and bumped my CPU to 4.2 because I saw you chatting about it to someone else and now my 3DMark is reporting an overall score of 9595.

It's saying I'm ahead of the curb on a stock Titain and stock 4770K so I'm totally fine with this. I'll leave it at these settings for a few weeks and see how it goes.

Thanks again for the tip :)

Anyone have any info on when the Enthoo Luxe might be released? It was announced back in January but Phanteks has been pretty quiet on when the case might be released. Really want the Luxe, but with parts of my new build coming in, I might just have to get the Pro.

Diablos

No one can advise me on my potential VRel issue that I screencapped a few pages back? :\

Anyway, I am finally thinking about building a new PC. I'd like my current build to at least last me through the summer, however (probably through the year unless my GPU dies, then forget it). Knowing me I'll drag my feet longer than I initially plan to. My 6300 is serving me well, but I really hate my motherboard's poor VRM design and I'd like to ditch it sooner than later. I could get a better board for it, but then I'd be paying $80-90 that could just go towards a new build... you know how it goes. I also do want a bit more power out of my CPU for future games. I was going to buy a PS4 but I figured I'd be better off waiting another year or so for that, as there aren't that many games. Better to build a more solid gaming PC.

I am looking at all the Core i5's on newegg... all 23 of them. Is there really that profound of a difference between them besides being Sandy Bridge or Haswell (and even then aren't the improvements in IPC minimal?) There's, at most, a $50 spread between the cheapest and most expensive i5's. Isn't this a bit excessive and ridiculous?

What about getting something like this Xeon instead of an i5? This is something I've been wanting to do for a long time. Everything I read says it is closer to i7 performance for the price of an i5. The model I linked to has hyperthreading, even. Pretty low TDP too.

Also when is DDR4 coming out? Fall, I think? I think it would be wise for me to wait for that especially to ensure for better performance out of future games, no?

appaws

Banned
I know this deal has already been brought up, but are the fans that come with the case PWM fans? How commonly are PWM fans used for water cooling?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...ffiliateID=lw9MynSeamY-WaQNXOnykJYdHdLbR63Icw

I don't think so. The PWM version has a different model number that ends in HP....

I think many water cooling people use separate fan controllers. The fan control options and connections offered on motherboards has in the past been pretty sucky. I think it is getting better recently, though. I just use a cheap NZXT fan controller that goes in an optical bay, and it does a good job for me.

jon_dojah

Banned
A friend of mine who's a casual pc gamer (mainly plays console) want to know whats the best card of these 2 as far as bang for the buck.

The first is a GeForce 630 GT 2GB that is on sale for $62 (normally $100):

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/pny-gef...-x16/5594282.p?id=1218668292998&skuId=5594282

Next, there is a GeForce 640 GT that is a 4GB card, on sale for $110 (normally $130):

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/evga-nv...card/7001073.p?id=1218820831603&skuId=7001073

Also what current games could he expect to play and at what settings?

A friend of mine who's a casual pc gamer (mainly plays console) want to know whats the best card of these 2 as far as bang for the buck.

The first is a GeForce 630 GT 2GB that is on sale for $62 (normally $100):

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/pny-gef...-x16/5594282.p?id=1218668292998&skuId=5594282

Next, there is a GeForce 640 GT that is a 4GB card, on sale for $110 (normally $130):

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/evga-nv...card/7001073.p?id=1218820831603&skuId=7001073

Also what current games could he expect to play and at what settings?

Around that price? Probably this... and it comes with 2 free games. It's considered to be about on par with consoles.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

The ones you posted both have slow DDR3 RAM, this one has much faster GDDR5 and is more powerful. I know FLOPs are a terrible way to explain this, but... here goes... The 640 is an ~ 415 GFLOP card, the 260X is around 1.9 TFLOPS (Almost 2000 GFLOPS)

That would be great if his mobo wasn't PCIe 1.0 only. :(

PCIe X16 1.0? or 1.1?

If he's going to be spending the same amount of money anyway, might as well get the better card... That way when the bug hits him and he upgrades his CPU/mobo he doesn't need to also buy a new graphics card.
To my knowledge any 3.0 card will still slot into a 1.0 mobo, you just lose some bandwidth.

Edit: Here's a video of someone playing with a 3.0 card connected to a 1.0 mobo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ig10UH6kn9I

Renekton

I am looking at all the Core i5's on newegg... all 23 of them. Is there really that profound of a difference between them besides being Sandy Bridge or Haswell (and even then aren't the improvements in IPC minimal?) There's, at most, a $50 spread between the cheapest and most expensive i5's. Isn't this a bit excessive and ridiculous?

What about getting something like this Xeon instead of an i5? This is something I've been wanting to do for a long time. Everything I read says it is closer to i7 performance for the price of an i5. The model I linked to has hyperthreading, even. Pretty low TDP too.

Also when is DDR4 coming out? Fall, I think? I think it would be wise for me to wait for that especially to ensure for better performance out of future games, no?
VREL: no idea

i5 differences: very small between models, though they add up enough, haswell is about 5-7% better IPC than IB on good conditions

Xeon: Overclocking is more difficult. If you're gaming, a 4690K seems like a better deal overall for similar price.

DDR4: Comes out for x99 and Haswell-e for slaughterhouse prices, and at the lowest 2133 clock. Dust will likely settle at 2016.

turcy

No one can advise me on my potential VRel issue that I screencapped a few pages back? :\

I'd never seen anything like this, so I googled around quickly and it's indicating that your GPU isn't getting the required voltage - I think somebody suggested it could be a PSU issue.

Didn't have time to look into it any further, sorry 'bout that. :/

thecheese

Hello Gaf, I'm going to be building my first computer and I'm seeking your advice. My main focus for this PC will be video editing, and also some light gaming. My budget is around $1200. What would you recommend?

Hello Gaf, I'm going to be building my first computer and I'm seeking your advice. My main focus for this PC will be video editing, and also some light gaming. My budget is around $1200. What would you recommend?

Probably "Excellent" in the OP with the upgraded CPU and 16 GBs of RAM.

But you could also save some money and go with the "Great" with upgraded CPU and 16 GBs of RAM. For video editing you should actually see an improvement with RAM speeds greater then 1600MHz. IIRC, the sweet spot for Haswell is 2133 CAS 10 for video editing.

teiresias

So just ordered:

CPU: i7-4790k
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK

Unexpectedly had to lay out some cash for some dental work today (not bad all things considering), and thought about it and decided, screw it, I was planning to do this upgrade for a few months, so one (or a few, there have been a few the past three weeks) unexpected expense wasn't going to throw me off track again.

I helped justify it since i was just replacing the mobo and cpu and wasn't building a whole system from scratch. Looks like I'll have something to do this weekend.

mkenyon

Banned

Anyway, I am finally thinking about building a new PC. I'd like my current build to at least last me through the summer, however (probably through the year unless my GPU dies, then forget it). Knowing me I'll drag my feet longer than I initially plan to. My 6300 is serving me well, but I really hate my motherboard's poor VRM design and I'd like to ditch it sooner than later. I could get a better board for it, but then I'd be paying $80-90 that could just go towards a new build... you know how it goes. I also do want a bit more power out of my CPU for future games. I was going to buy a PS4 but I figured I'd be better off waiting another year or so for that, as there aren't that many games. Better to build a more solid gaming PC.

The only i5s you can overclock are the 'K' versions. Outside of emulation, there isn't a huge difference between IVB and Haswell. If you're looking to bargain hunt, think about trying to score a Z77 board with a used 3570K.

Otherwise, 4670K/4690K is what you're looking for.

The Xeon is basically an i7, but you need to get specific motherboards for it.
I know this deal has already been brought up, but are the fans that come with the case PWM fans? How commonly are PWM fans used for water cooling?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...ffiliateID=lw9MynSeamY-WaQNXOnykJYdHdLbR63Icw
You'll find two camps with fan people. There are those who prefer PWM/fan control. Then there are those who prefer a nice quiet fan that they don't even have to think about. I personally fall into the latter camp. Those Cougars at 1200 RPM are extremely quiet.

Vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxuvMTftPdo

Compare that with really high end fans like the Noiseblocker eLoop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVfQpnhbe-M

Or Noctua NF-F12:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwT0mfr-YhY

Here's what Martin had to say about the fans at 1000-1200 RPM noise levels:

At this point I would call all the fans relatively the same. The Cougars, Noiseblocker, Noctua, GTs, Piranha, are all performing in that 36-39dBA and subjectively hard to tell much difference. This and slower speeds is where it just doesn’t make sense to spend a ton of money on fans. Cheaper value fans perform just as well as the expensive ones and the Gentle Typhoons also don’t really separate themselves much. I actually prefer the sleeved and HDB bearing type fans a little better in noise quality at these slower speeds. I would probably call it a tie between the Noiseblocker B12-3, Noctua NF-F12, and Cougar HDB as they seem to have a slightly smoother sound quality at these slower speeds.
They're great fans. Not the best, but do pretty much just as well as $25+ fans at 1200 RPM.
Anyone have any info on when the Enthoo Luxe might be released? It was announced back in January but Phanteks has been pretty quiet on when the case might be released. Really want the Luxe, but with parts of my new build coming in, I might just have to get the Pro.
I wish I knew. I'm waiting for info on the Evolv myself. Probably a few months.
Premiere or Vegas?

Diablos

The only i5s you can overclock are the 'K' versions. Outside of emulation, there isn't a huge difference between IVB and Haswell. If you're looking to bargain hunt, think about trying to score a Z77 board with a used 3570K.

Otherwise, 4670K/4690K is what you're looking for.

The Xeon is basically an i7, but you need to get specific motherboards for it.
Precisely why I want it. i5 price for i7 performance. How can I go wrong? Why get i5 anything if this is available (no, really)? As for the board... as long as it supports LGA 1155 it will do, I thought?

btw, did Intel ever fix their atrocious heatsink/fan? Because if I buy Intel I'd be running at stock for a LONG time. I could always carry over my TX3. I know it's still the same design but what I'm trying to get at is that hopefully it doesn't warp one's board anymore? I remember the one from my Q8200 *cringe*

Aren't all i5's good for emulation? I know I can get solid performance playing Xenoblade on my slightly OC'd 6300/GTX 660, even (at 1080p).

I wouldn't be needing to OC with any i5 I'm pretty sure -- unlike my 6300 where I get noticeable gains using OC Genie (which isn't a crazy OC by any stretch), even -- because the single-core performance is so lackluster.

mkenyon

Banned
Precisely why I want it. i5 price for i7 performance. How can I go wrong? Why get i5 anything if this is available (no, really)? As for the board... as long as it supports LGA 1155 it will do, I thought?

btw, did Intel ever fix their atrocious heatsink/fan? Because if I buy Intel I'd be running at stock for a LONG time. I could always carry over my TX3. I know it's still the same design but what I'm trying to get at is that hopefully it doesn't warp one's board anymore? I remember the one from my Q8200 *cringe*

Aren't all i5's good for emulation? I know I can get solid performance playing Xenoblade on my slightly OC'd 6300/GTX 660, even (at 1080p).

I wouldn't be needing to OC with any i5 I'm pretty sure -- unlike my 6300 where I get noticeable gains using OC Genie (which isn't a crazy OC by any stretch), even -- because the single-core performance is so lackluster.
IPC IPC IPC IPC.

Tons of games still benefit from higher clock speed. I know you dont think it makes a difference, but it really does. I swear it.
Premiere.
Basically you want a 4790K and probably a GTX 760 or 750 Ti. If you don't already have a NAS/RAID storage solution, then you'll need to account for that prior to figuring out the rest of the build.

I could be wrong but I think you need a board that specifically supports Xeons. I don't think any socket XXXX board will do. You're definitely going to pay more for them, and I don't think they support OCing the way a typical say Z97 board will.

Even the inexpensive Xeons are way more expensive than the comparative Core i5/7 chip. I mean a 2.4 ghz Sandy Bridge based Xeon is 300 bucks, and doesn't support Hyper Threading. I mean for 100 bucks less just on the CPU you can get a haswell based i5 that runs a full ghz faster. Just doesn't seem worth it for the Xeon IMHO. If you drop Xeon level prices on the chip you can get an i7 with hyper threading and a higher clock speed.

kharma45

I could be wrong but I think you need a board that specifically supports Xeons. I don't think any socket XXXX board will do. You're definitely going to pay more for them, and I don't think they support OCing the way a typical say Z97 board will.

Even the inexpensive Xeons are way more expensive than the comparative Core i5/7 chip. I mean a 2.4 ghz Sandy Bridge based Xeon is 300 bucks, and doesn't support Hyper Threading. I mean for 100 bucks less just on the CPU you can get a haswell based i5 that runs a full ghz faster. Just doesn't seem worth it for the Xeon IMHO. If you drop Xeon level prices on the chip you can get an i7 with hyper threading and a higher clock speed.

You're thinking on the wrong Xeon's. There are 1150 Xeon's out there that are priced at around i5 levels but offer i7 performance. They lack an iGPU though. CPUs like this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D697PEG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Staab

Got my new motherboard (AsRock Z97 Pro4), new case (Fractal Design Core 300), new PSU (CoolerMaster GM550W), new GPU (Asus R9 280X DirectCu II Top) and new processor (Pentium G3258) yesterday !
(I upgraded from an old Phenom X2 and HD 5770 - like a 5year old machine)

Unboxed after work and started working on the build :
everything went smoothly, installation was a pleasure although a bit stressful and cable management took some time, but it's all looking good !

Have yet to really test anything as I had to hit the sack after setting it up but it booted and recognized everything immediately (just booted up a game for 2mins and had like double the FPS as before- feels good).

Get hype for some testing tonight ! (Mostly overclocking the CPU, checking overall temps and stability)

So, anyone have experience RMA'ing with Gigabyte? How long is there turnaround usually? I sent my GPU there last week and 5 days ago they found nothing wrong with my card
...which i'm thrilled about...
and I haven't seen any updates to the RMA since 7/2. I don't know what protocol is...but I would imagine they send it back to me pretty quick if there was no work to be done.

Sorry for the repost, but I'm going on 6 days of nothing and getting a little anxious.

kiyomi

Might not be the best place to ask this but since yesterday when I first installed Windows 8.1, my new computer has developed an annoying habit.

Whenever I right click on the desktop, or in File Explorer, the spinning icon comes up for 4-5 seconds before showing the right-click menu. I had a look at Task Manager and stuff and I can't see anything that's hogging up resources and I can't find anything else unusual. What's up with it? It's super irritating because the rest of the computer feels so damn fast.

kennah

You have installed some software that adds a context menu extension. Figure out what shouldn't be in that menu and uninstall it.

If you have trouble figuring it out post a picture of your right clik menu.

kiyomi

You have installed some software that adds a context menu extension. Figure out what shouldn't be in that menu and uninstall it.

If you have trouble figuring it out post a picture of your right clik menu.

Yeah, I realised it was the Intel HD Control Panel. All sorted. Thanks though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom