• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calibus

Built my first PC today. Had some panic moments when I couldn't get the 20+4 PIN connector into my mobo and I freaked out over every little thing. Got some bruised fingers and some tired eyes but I did it. Haven't installed Windows yet but the BIOS is up and everything looks installed properly.

Only little thing I noticed is the CPU is turboing up to 3.9Ghz in the BIOS, shouldn't it not be doing that? What's up with it?

Thanks to everyone in this thread for giving me the belief to build. This thread is one of my favourites on GAF. You're all awesome.

Now I have 20 years of PC gaming to catch up on, a new control scheme to learn... can't wait!

Grats! We've all been there and it's a great feeling when it all finally comes together. Watch out though -- once you get the system building bug it never goes away.

EDIT: As for the mystery overclocking, chances are the turbo settings came pre-set on the motherboard from the manufacturer. Just keep an eye on the temperature (I highly recommend downloading Speccy) and you should be okay. If temp starts to creep up, install more fans in the case if possible.

Hawk269

Built my first PC today. Had some panic moments when I couldn't get the 20+4 PIN connector into my mobo and I freaked out over every little thing. Got some bruised fingers and some tired eyes but I did it. Haven't installed Windows yet but the BIOS is up and everything looks installed properly.

Only little thing I noticed is the CPU is turboing up to 3.9Ghz in the BIOS, shouldn't it not be doing that? What's up with it?

Thanks to everyone in this thread for giving me the belief to build. This thread is one of my favourites on GAF. You're all awesome.

Now I have 20 years of PC gaming to catch up on, a new control scheme to learn... can't wait!

Congrats! My first build, I was very worried that I would screw something up. For me the most challenging/hard part was putting the CPU in. As easy as it sounds, I was worried that I would screw that part up big time. That was a mere 2-3 years ago and now I do water builds for people and have come a long way. I owe a lot to some of the folks in this thread as a lot of folks here are very helpful.

Woffls

Just upgraded my 8800GT to a 750 Ti SC and the difference is insane, even on ageing hardware. I got an SSD as well (~500MB/s each way), but that's it. The other components are 4GB of PC6400 DDR2 and a Q6600.

I don't know how far I can push it, though, because all I've been playing is Just Cause 2 :p

kharma45

Just upgraded my 8800GT to a 750 Ti SC and the difference is insane, even on ageing hardware. I got an SSD as well (~500MB/s each way), but that's it. The other components are 4GB of PC6400 DDR2 and a Q6600.

I don't know how far I can push it, though, because all I've been playing is Just Cause 2 :p

If you haven't done so already you could OC the Q6600.

Aurarian

Is there a way to verify if those 290's from Amazon have the warranty? I'm definitely thinking of jumping on that since it'll save me 100 bucks or so.

Kaydan

Banned
PC GAF, at equal price and capacity should I go for the mx100 or m500? I'm aware the mx100 is the newer version but I read somewhere that the software of the m500 is more mature.

Help me choose!

Woffls

If you haven't done so already you could OC the Q6600.
Oh yeah, is there a lot of scope for overclocking a Q6600? I'll need to replace one of my case fans, but there's a decent amount of space in there for circulation. Mobo is a P5Ne-SLI.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Nope. Straight out of the box it didn't work and I'm running stock clocks. Tried using AB to give it more voltage and power, but to no avail.

Bought it used from someone who used it for mining. The 290 cards seem to suffer from a lot of the Black Screen issues.

Yep, this is the one. I'd probably advise anyone buying this that there's a chance they might stumble upon the black screen issue.

You might have been sold a poo-baron :( I have the exact same card, just new, and it works amazingly well aside from the issue with power and drivers which were both my fault and easily resolved. If you have a power supply that can drive it which most modern 450W+ PSU can (I'm running a 500W silent night PSU) then the card should work right out of the box.

The things that piss me off about this card unlike my EVGA cards is that there's no heavy metal plate on the back PCB of the card which exposes things to shorting or scratching that can destroy complex electronics in the most unpredictable ways. This card also feels like it puts out way more heat than my GTX 670 ever did (expected though) at full load and is also much louder.

Folks,

I just bought an XFX R9 270X. My PSU is a 650W unit with 2X 22A 12V rails and one 25A 12V rail. I figure it should be enough but I just get black screen and no POST when I boot. Am I wrong? I already exchanged one of them out and no joy...

Congrats!! I still remember building my first PC like 10 years ago. So nervous. Didn't post the first time I put it together and I almost freaked out. Finally realized my CPU Cooler wasn't sitting on the CPU right. Nothing like the sound of that first post beep. Welcome to PC gaming.

Dunbar

I finally got my case, and now I have everything I need to start building. I have the day off tomorrow so I plan to get started early in case I fuck something up and need to run out for a part. Are there any general build guides or tip sheets for in case something goes wrong? It's been 6+ years since I built a PC, and I doubt it's changed substantially, but I'd like to have something close to hand to troubleshoot if I need it.

I finally got my case, and now I have everything I need to start building. I have the day off tomorrow so I plan to get started early in case I fuck something up and need to run out for a part. Are there any general build guides or tip sheets for in case something goes wrong? It's been 6+ years since I built a PC, and I doubt it's changed substantially, but I'd like to have something close to hand to troubleshoot if I need it.

if anything it will be easier than you remember, but this video guide from newegg is pretty good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPIXAtNGGCw

Lime

You might have been sold a poo-baron :( I have the exact same card, just new, and it works amazingly well aside from the issue with power and drivers which were both my fault and easily resolved. If you have a power supply that can drive it which most modern 450W+ PSU can (I'm running a 500W silent night PSU) then the card should work right out of the box.

The things that piss me off about this card unlike my EVGA cards is that there's no heavy metal plate on the back PCB of the card which exposes things to shorting or scratching that can destroy complex electronics in the most unpredictable ways. This card also feels like it puts out way more heat than my GTX 670 ever did (expected though) at full load and is also much louder.

I'm going to see if I can RMA it. The dude sent me the receipt and looks like he bought it last january. I'll see what Gigabyte Support has to say. Thanks for all the suggestions!

ekgrey

Is there a way to verify if those 290's from Amazon have the warranty? I'm definitely thinking of jumping on that since it'll save me 100 bucks or so.

If you've got Prime, just order it and check yourself. Return if not. Free and so easy, especially with Warehouse Deals stuff I believe. I'd do that myself if I had the cash at this second (and probably will next payday if they're still up.)

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
What's the typical OC with the Z97 chips? Ie, with Z87 4.3-4.4 GHz was most common. I have coolers that easily could keep Sandy Bridge below 80C at 1.4V VCore if that helps.

Updating spec at work for custom PCs and I want to have an idea if it has improved much.

kennah

What's the typical OC with the Z97 chips? Ie, with Z87 4.3-4.4 GHz was most common. I have coolers that easily could keep Sandy Bridge below 80C at 1.4V VCore if that helps.

Updating spec at work for custom PCs and I want to have an idea if it has improved much.

Seems to be about the same. They're basically binned versions of the other chips with a slightly better heat transfer.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Videos in second post, troubleshooting also.
Folks,

I just bought an XFX R9 270X. My PSU is a 650W unit with 2X 22A 12V rails and one 25A 12V rail. I figure it should be enough but I just get black screen and no POST when I boot. Am I wrong? I already exchanged one of them out and no joy...
Should be way more than enough unless its some junk brand, what is it?

dear god my new PC is a beast. I get 110-120 fps on the Witcher 2 with everything maxed at 1920x1080. I get 55-60 FPS with everything maxed and ubersampling on. I used to get 25fps at 720p with all the settings turned down on my old rig. This is quite the step up for me.

In case anyone was wondering I upgraded from a Core 2 Duo E7300, a GTX 460 and 4 GB of RAM to a 4790k, a GTX 780 and 16 GB of RAM.

This is almost exactly the spec I'm upgrading from and to, except my previous processor was an i5 760. Can't wait to see the difference in specs!

I have an i5-760 and just upgraded from a gtx 480 and 6gb system ram to a gtx 780 3gb and 14gb system ram. I run the i5-760 at 3.6 ghz and have been debating whether to upgrade my cpu and mb to a i5-4690k. It would cost around $300-$400 to get the i5-4690k + mb but I dont know if I want to spend anymore atm especially as the i5-760 seems to hold up pretty well still.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Seems to be about the same. They're basically binned versions of the other chips with a slightly better heat transfer.

I was hoping for at least 4.4 GHz sustained on all 4 cores. I have run across some very stubborn Haswell chips that either won't obtain stability at 4.4 GHz and others that are stable at 4.6 GHz but over a few weeks will crash at low load.

Ok first time ever building a pc. How did I do GAF? I changed the price at the end to what I actually paid so don't bother trying to do math with the numbers posted as it wont make sense.

[PCPartPicker part list](http://pcpartpicker.com/p/DJwrRB) / [Price breakdown by merchant](http://pcpartpicker.com/p/DJwrRB/by_merchant/)

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
**CPU** | [Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80646i54690k) | $238.99 @ Amazon
**Motherboard** | [ASRock Fatal1ty Z97X Killer ATX LGA1150 Motherboard](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-fatal1tyz97xkiller) | $164.98 @ SuperBiiz
**Memory** | [Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/kingston-memory-khx1600c9d3k28gx) | $79.99 @ Amazon
**Storage** | [Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/western-digital-internal-hard-drive-wd10ezex) | $54.98 @ OutletPC
**Video Card** | [PowerColor Radeon R9 270X 2GB TurboDuo Video Card](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/powercolor-video-card-axr9270x2gbd5tdheoc) | $179.99 @ Newegg
**Case** | [Corsair SPEC-01 RED ATX Mid Tower Case](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-case-spec01redled) | $39.99 @ Newegg
**Power Supply** | [Antec 450W ATX Power Supply](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/antec-power-supply-vp450) | $37.99 @ Newegg
| | **Total**
| Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available | $715

zychi

Banned
Are there any motherboards that can handle a 7970, an avermedia capture card and a tv tuner card? I cant seem to find one with enough slots.

scogoth

Are there any motherboards that can handle a 7970, an avermedia capture card and a tv tuner card? I cant seem to find one with enough slots.

Any Z series ATX board, most H series ATX boards and some mATX boards. The 1x PCIe of the capture and tuner card can go into 1x 4x 8x or 16x slot.

Mascot

This is almost exactly the spec I'm upgrading from and to, except my previous processor was an i5 760. Can't wait to see the difference in specs!

Although I did wimp out of building it myself (maybe next time, but me managing to screw this current PC up somehow just by attempting to add some extra memory didn't fill me with the confidence to undertake an entire build from scratch!).

Built by the helpful folks at Scan, thanks to Water, Stubo, SHADES and anyone I've missed for the advice before I ordered!

I did end up changing the graphics card from an R9 290 at the last minute to a GTX 780 (wanted the Nvidia streaming features & PhysX, and Scan were doing a deal on the 6GB version making it only about 30 quid or so more expensive than the 3GB, so I jumped on that. Doubt I'll need 6GB for a long time if ever, but with the Watch_Dogs situation and chances of more games going current-gen only instead of cross-gen, I thought it was worth it for the little extra just to future proof for a little bit longer.

Final specs:

Case: Fractal Design Define R4
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97-HD3
CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K
CPU Cooler: Thermalright HR-02 Macho
Memory: 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Vengeance Pro, 2133MHz
GPU: 6GB MSI GTX780 TwinFrozr OC GAMING
PSU: 750W Corsair RM
SSD: 250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 7200rpm, 64MB Cache
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB DVD-RW
OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-Bit [Microsoft Windows 8.1 64Bit
Included stuff: WatchDogs, Acronis TrueImage

Supposedly being dispatched Thursday for delivery Friday - and I have Thursday until next Tuesday off work - can't wait!

I'm going to keep following this thread, as although I can't give as good advice as some in here, I enjoy reading the discussion and hopefully I'll learn from it and actually build something of my own next time!

What was the total cost? I'm looking to build something similar. UK.

BrumGB

Hey guys, apologies for the re-post but does anyone have any suggestions for a 24" 1080p monitor. 120hz not required as it'll mainly be used for console / medium PC gaming.

Ideally with 2xhdmi / 1hdmi + dvi, < 3 ms response (g2g)

My current shortlist is:
  1. BenQ - RL2455HM
  2. Asus - VN247H
  3. AOC - I2757FM

Will be using for gaming / some amateur photo editing.

Doomyan

Neo Member
Hy guys. Finished a build, I just want to share:

Case: Corsair 450D window
Motherboard: MSI z97 Gaming 5
CPU: Intel Core i5 4690
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2
Memory: Corsair 8GB DDR3-2133MHz Vengeance Pro
GPU: MSI GTX780 3GB GAMING
PSU: be quiet! 750W Power Zone
SSD: 256GB Crucial M550
Optical Drive: Pioneer BDR-209DBK Blu-ray

First buil that I've done alone. Everything seems to work perfectly.
My goal was a silent and powerful living room machine: achieved.

PaulLFC

What was the total cost? I'm looking to build something similar. UK.
Expensive! Around £1480, you could probably knock £100+ off if you build it yourself though, and another £40+ if you don't want a 6GB 780 and go with the 3GB version. PCPartPicker is showing ~£1330 if you build it yourself:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (£245.94 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright HR-02 Rev.A(BW) 73.6 CFM CPU Cooler (£37.49 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£81.44 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£126.19 @ Scan.co.uk)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£92.95 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£71.99 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 780 6GB TWIN FROZR Video Card (£440.14 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case (£58.74 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: Corsair RM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£83.70 @ Scan.co.uk)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer (£14.95 @ Amazon UK)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£79.59 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £1333.12
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Haven't spent that kind of money on a PC before, but I figured while I can at the moment I might as well, I might not be able to in the future depending on my situation so I might as well take the chance while I can!

Mascot

Expensive! Around £1480

Haven't spent that kind of money on a PC before, but I figured while I can at the moment I might as well, I might not be able to in the future depending on my situation so I might as well take the chance while I can!
What types of games will you be playing on it?
What were your goals?

PaulLFC

What types of games will you be playing on it?
What were your goals?
Most games apart from FPSs and paid-sub MMOs really (although I did buy Wolfenstein with it being made by ex-Starbreeze devs and I enjoyed their work on Chronicles of Riddick). I wasn't happy with the framerates I was getting on my current PC (Next Car Game slowed it to a crawl with effects even slightly above low settings).

My goal was to have a PC that could play the latest games at at least high settings at a decent framerate, and hopefully keep doing that for at least 3 years or so, if not longer. Silence was also a big goal, as my current PC sounds like a jet when any stress is put on the graphics card.

Mascot

Most games apart from FPSs and paid-sub MMOs really (although I did buy Wolfenstein with it being made by ex-Starbreeze devs and I enjoyed their work on Chronicles of Riddick). I wasn't happy with the framerates I was getting on my current PC (Next Car Game slowed it to a crawl with effects even slightly above low settings).

My goal was to have a PC that could play the latest games at at least high settings at a decent framerate, and hopefully keep doing that for at least 3 years or so, if not longer. Silence was also a big goal, as my current PC sounds like a jet when any stress is put on the graphics card.
Similar to me then, with a focus on racing games/sims.

SHADES

Although I did wimp out of building it myself (maybe next time, but me managing to screw this current PC up somehow just by attempting to add some extra memory didn't fill me with the confidence to undertake an entire build from scratch!).

Built by the helpful folks at Scan, thanks to Water, Stubo, SHADES and anyone I've missed for the advice before I ordered!

I did end up changing the graphics card from an R9 290 at the last minute to a GTX 780 (wanted the Nvidia streaming features & PhysX, and Scan were doing a deal on the 6GB version making it only about 30 quid or so more expensive than the 3GB, so I jumped on that. Doubt I'll need 6GB for a long time if ever, but with the Watch_Dogs situation and chances of more games going current-gen only instead of cross-gen, I thought it was worth it for the little extra just to future proof for a little bit longer.

Final specs:

Case: Fractal Design Define R4
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97-HD3
CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K
CPU Cooler: Thermalright HR-02 Macho
Memory: 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Vengeance Pro, 2133MHz
GPU: 6GB MSI GTX780 TwinFrozr OC GAMING
PSU: 750W Corsair RM
SSD: 250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 7200rpm, 64MB Cache
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB DVD-RW
OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-Bit [Microsoft Windows 8.1 64Bit
Included stuff: WatchDogs, Acronis TrueImage

Supposedly being dispatched Thursday for delivery Friday - and I have Thursday until next Tuesday off work - can't wait!

I'm going to keep following this thread, as although I can't give as good advice as some in here, I enjoy reading the discussion and hopefully I'll learn from it and actually build something of my own next time!

Hey Paul, thanks for the mention :) though all I did was try to reassure you how easy building is. Your final specs look awesome and I now have PC envy, enjoy your rig dude.

PS: nvm, just seen your about post.

Kal1138

Neo Member
I'm almost ready to start! The only thing missing is the GPU (GTX 780 Ti) which I should have tomorrow. I also got a Samsung 840 EVO 500 GB that I forgot to include in the picture.

M2PhXnn.jpg

PaulLFC

Hey Paul, thanks for the mention :) though all I did was try to reassure you how easy building is. Your final specs look awesome and I now have PC envy, enjoy your rig dude.

PS: nvm, just seen your about post.
Cheers! I decided what I'll do is when the new PC arrives and I set it up and all is well, I'm going to try taking apart my current PC (since it probably won't get much use) and then putting it back together, to see if I can learn more about how they're built. Might give me the confidence to build my own next time then!

Azzurri

Gold Member
I'm almost ready to start! The only thing missing is the GPU (GTX 780 Ti) which I should have tomorrow. I also got a Samsung 840 EVO 500 GB that I forgot to include in the picture.

M2PhXnn.jpg

That's one large case. but sexy. I've always liked Corsair products.

SHADES

Cheers! I decided what I'll do is when the new PC arrives and I set it up and all is well, I'm going to try taking apart my current PC (since it probably won't get much use) and then putting it back together, to see if I can learn more about how they're built. Might give me the confidence to build my own next time then!

Not a bad idea, but considering your new PC you'll have long forgotten anything you learn by the time building another one comes around :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom