• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rommel

My new computer comes tomorrow :)

I got lazy and had someone build my system lol

Case Annihilator (Corsair 650D)

Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming Motherboard

Processor Overclocked Intel i7-4790K (4 - 4.4GHz)

Memory Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133MHz DDR3

Power Supply Corsair AX1200 Modular Power Supply

Optical Drive 14X BD-RW Combo

Graphics Intel Integrated Graphics

Sound Cards Onboard Audio

HDD/SSD XIDAX Performance 512GB SSD

Cooling Corsair H60 H2O CPU Cooler

I sent them two 290x's to install crossfire . Saved about 600 buying and shipping doing that.

Amneisac

No red flags with any of this?

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Newegg - Masterpass)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Newegg - Google Wallet)
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case ($74.99 @ Tiger Direct)

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound 3.5 Grams

I bought a lot of this stuff with promotions like the $15 off $50 at newegg, and the 20% masterpass, etc. so the prices aren't really accurate, but I just want to make sure there are no compatibility issues. I'm going to reuse my old power supply and hard drives and stuff.

kharma45

No red flags with any of this?

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Newegg - Masterpass)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Newegg - Google Wallet)
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case ($74.99 @ Tiger Direct)

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound 3.5 Grams

I bought a lot of this stuff with promotions like the $15 off $50 at newegg, and the 20% masterpass, etc. so the prices aren't really accurate, but I just want to make sure there are no compatibility issues. I'm going to reuse my old power supply and hard drives and stuff.

You don't need the paste, the 212 comes with it's own.

thecheese

Probably "Excellent" in the OP with the upgraded CPU and 16 GBs of RAM.

But you could also save some money and go with the "Great" with upgraded CPU and 16 GBs of RAM. For video editing you should actually see an improvement with RAM speeds greater then 1600MHz. IIRC, the sweet spot for Haswell is 2133 CAS 10 for video editing.

Awesome, thank you.

Basically you want a 4790K and probably a GTX 760 or 750 Ti. If you don't already have a NAS/RAID storage solution, then you'll need to account for that prior to figuring out the rest of the build.

I wasn't planning on getting a NAS/RAID, why do you recommend that before starting the build? I'm not too familiar with them tbh.. I'm about to go to school for video editing and am looking for a capable system to work with for small projects for now, and possibly larger productions in the future.

Awesome, thank you.

I wasn't planning on getting a NAS/RAID, why do you recommend that before starting the build? I'm not too familiar with them tbh.. I'm about to go to school for video editing and am looking for a capable system to work with for small projects for now, and possibly larger productions in the future.

Data redundancy. If a hard drive dies you don't lose everything. Extra storage costs money so that needs to be factored into the build IOT stay within budget.

Smokey

Back from honeymoon and visiting the great state of Hawaii for a week. Not sure if anywhere else in the US can top it.

What have I missed? Is the Swift out yet? Mutes rage ban anybody? 800 series still slated for Q1 2016?

mkenyon

Banned
Awesome, thank you.

Alright, this is what I put together:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 V3 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($249.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($74.24 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Western Digital RE 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($145.50 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital RE 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($145.50 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair RM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1175.17
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

The two RE drives are enterprise quality. You can run them in RAID0 on your SATA 3GB controller. The Xeon is basically an i7, in terms of performance at the given frequency, and a lot less expensive. Fast memory + fast proc + solid start to storage = a system you can use for a loooooong time. It won't destroy games, but it will be a damn fine performer.
Back from honeymoon and visiting the great state of Hawaii for a week. Not sure if anywhere else in the US can top it.

What have I missed? Is the Swift out yet? Mutes rage ban anybody? 800 series still slated for Q1 2016?
Yeah, video review of the Swift up on OC3D. A number of written reviews out as well. Even a crap gamer like Tom Logan knows that 120/144Hz is the future. Love it.

800 series officially delayed until Nov 2015.

*edit*

Also, he just recently reviewed your 4K monitor, and he prefers the Swift in a big way.

Alright, this is what I put together:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 V3 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($249.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($74.24 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair RM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1175.17
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

The two RE drives are enterprise quality. You can run them in RAID0 on your SATA 3GB controller. The Xeon is basically an i7, in terms of performance at the given frequency, and a lot less expensive. Fast memory + fast proc + solid start to storage = a system you can use for a loooooong time. It won't destroy games, but it will be a damn fine performer.

Oh, I didn't even think about the Xeon, even after just researching because of this thread, lol.

Smokey

Yeah, video review of the Swift up on OC3D. A number of written reviews out as well. Even a crap gamer like Tom Logan knows that 120/144Hz is the future. Love it.

800 series officially delayed until Nov 2015.

*edit*

Also, he just recently reviewed your 4K monitor, and he prefers the Swift in a big way.

I played some 120hz BF4 before I left and I loved it as usual and decided I'm definitely getting the Swift when it drops. 1080p is just way to low for me now, and my 120hz monitors are long in the tooth. 2560x1440 + that response time should be great. I was hoping it wouldn't drop when I was away and it looks like it hasn't.

Still scheduled for July right no delays?

Alright, this Logisys case is starting the wear on me... and I've only been using it for a week.

Anyone had any experience with the Thermaltake Urban S1? I like the look. It says it has room for an optional front fan... is it beneath?

The Llama

Pretty sure my ATH-M50 headphones got lost, and since they were like 7 years old anyway I'm thinking about buying a new pair. Should I just get another pair of M50's or is there something better in that price range?

riflen

I have a ROG Swift pre-ordered. Stock is expected ~25th July here in the UK. Reviews look positive.

BigFwoosh

Got my 4690K overclocked to 4.5GHz last night, but I had to bump the voltage up to 1.275. Seems a little high just to hit 4.5. I tried 4.6GHz, but it wasn't stable at 1.3 volts and I'm reluctant to go much higher than that for such minimal gains.

The Llama

What do you have powering them?

Not so little. :p

Nothing, unfortunately. Been thinking about investing in a headphone amp too. Would like to keep the cost of both below $200. I usually use them with my Macbook Pro but I'll probably use them with my desktop now too.

Smokey

the little devil on Smokey's shoulder.

Ha.

I've been interested in it since it was announced because I am a monitor whore, but the constant delays turned me off of it for awhile. Looks like the end is in sight. As I mentioned, my current 120hz monitors are pretty outdated. This will be a good start to replace them.

I have a ROG Swift pre-ordered. Stock is expected ~25th July here in the UK. Reviews look positive.

Sucks that we can't pre order it over here. That thing is going to fly once it hits Newegg and Amazon.

mkenyon

Banned

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
So I'm not really sure if this is the place to put this but I'm not aware of a PC problems thread.

Basically, my USB ports have been randomly dying, maybe like one a week/every two weeks for a month or two now. Only way to get them back working is a reboot. Some googling tells me this could be my PSU/MOBO. Any ideas? Should I be looking at replacing parts?

Water

Pretty sure my ATH-M50 headphones got lost, and since they were like 7 years old anyway I'm thinking about buying a new pair. Should I just get another pair of M50's or is there something better in that price range?
When you post into that other thread or here, I think the main question is what kind of use cases you are looking at.

The ATH-M50s are designed as DJ headphones, so they have good sound isolation, can be packed into a (relatively) small space for transport, and have very powerful bass. At the same time, they literally and significantly hurt my head (from the top where the headband presses against the skull) and they have sweaty earpads. But if you've been happy with them for 7 years, the ergonomics are probably right for you. They are generally acknowledged to offer relatively poor soundstage, so your ability to tell sound direction and feel 3D presence is compromised.

For me Beyerdynamics DT880s have been awesome in every way. I think BD offers the DT770 closer to ATH-M50 price range, and they have the same ergonomics. Audio-Technica's own open phones, the ATH-AD700(X)s are frequently recommended. You can also always grab the best Sennheiser 5xx model your budget allows, and will likely not be disappointed. All of these are open or semi-open, so they don't isolate sound much. They also aren't designed to pack compactly.

XenoRaven

First off, I just want to thank everyone that helped me build my first PC. I'm pretty sure it was a little over 3 years ago which is crazy to think now.

Anyway, I just wanted a little bit of advice. My original build was a 2600K, 8 GB DDR3 2000 RAM, and 2x GTX 570s. One of my 570s doesn't work anymore so I've just been rocking the one. I've found SLI a little cumbersome so I'm planning on upgrading to just one really nice card. My intent with this upgrade is for this machine to last me several more years until I decide to build a new one. Right now I'm between waiting for the GTX 800's to come out, or getting a 780. Does anyone have any suggestions for a card?

mkenyon

Banned
780 is great and would be a huge appreciable upgrade from your 570, though not a huge gain over two 570s (when working properly).

The 290 would give you the same kind of performance for $100 less. No G-Sync though.

The 800 series should be a good bump over the 780, but there's no idea when it's out.

If you want something more right now, you could go for a 290 or 780, and then just sell it when you want to upgrade. I find this option to be very budget friendly, as it's pretty easy to offload a higher end card. You end up paying $100-200 out of pocket to keep with the newest high end stuff.

XenoRaven

780 is great and would be a huge appreciable upgrade from your 570, though not a huge gain over two 570s (when working properly).

The 290 would give you the same kind of performance for $100 less. No G-Sync though.

The 800 series should be a good bump over the 780, but there's no idea when it's out.

If you want something more right now, you could go for a 290 or 780, and then just sell it when you want to upgrade. I find this option to be very budget friendly, as it's pretty easy to offload a higher end card. You end up paying $100-200 out of pocket to keep with the newest high end stuff.
Where do you typically sell cards? Do you just find a friend or a guy on Craig's List or is there a more official channel I can use?

G-Sync is attractive to me, but I was under the impression you needed a specific monitor for that, which I don't have at this time.

NoRéN

Where do you typically sell cards? Do you just find a friend or a guy on Craig's List or is there a more official channel I can use?

G-Sync is attractive to me, but I was under the impression you needed a specific monitor for that, which I don't have at this time.

You can try the buy/sell thread here on GAF. Although, I've gotten the most for cards I've had for sale on craigslist.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
First off, I just want to thank everyone that helped me build my first PC. I'm pretty sure it was a little over 3 years ago which is crazy to think now.

Anyway, I just wanted a little bit of advice. My original build was a 2600K, 8 GB DDR3 2000 RAM, and 2x GTX 570s. One of my 570s doesn't work anymore so I've just been rocking the one. I've found SLI a little cumbersome so I'm planning on upgrading to just one really nice card. My intent with this upgrade is for this machine to last me several more years until I decide to build a new one. Right now I'm between waiting for the GTX 800's to come out, or getting a 780. Does anyone have any suggestions for a card?

I'd wait for the 780 Ti to drop in price closer to the 800 release. Unless of course price isn't an issue, in which case I'd get it now.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
Then you're golden! 780 Ti, specifically some of the OC models (the Gigabyte Windforce OC for example) are absolute beasts and pretty much the best mainstream cards in the market.

I've never actually used one

Branson

Alright a bit of pre emptive questions before I start my overclocking of a 2500k. This is one of the few things that intimidate me about PC upgrades as I have never done it and don't want to ruin my CPU.

First thing, this guide I have bookmarked(http://www.overclock.net/t/913294/step-by-step-overclocking-2500k-for-lamas#post_14399607) is what I'm going to base my overclocking off of. If anyone has any suggestions on others I would be glad to hear them.

Today the cooler I ordered off of amazon is going to arrive which is a hyper 212 evo and I was looking to get about 4.2-4.4ghz with that cooler. Will that be enough?

What kind of performance increase am I looking at from stock?

mkenyon

Banned
Alright a bit of pre emptive questions before I start my overclocking of a 2500k. This is one of the few things that intimidate me about PC upgrades as I have never done it and don't want to ruin my CPU.

First thing, this guide I have bookmarked(http://www.overclock.net/t/913294/step-by-step-overclocking-2500k-for-lamas#post_14399607) is what I'm going to base my overclocking off of. If anyone has any suggestions on others I would be glad to hear them.

Today the cooler I ordered off of amazon is going to arrive which is a hyper 212 evo and I was looking to get about 4.2-4.4ghz with that cooler. Will that be enough?

What kind of performance increase am I looking at from stock?
Depends on the game. Some will give you a direct linear benefit. Some will have zero benefit. Some in between.

In general, it ups your minimum frame time by quite a bit for a more solid frame rate and game experience.

NJDEN

Hello everyone, I have a few questions concerning water-cooling and monitors.

Firstly, is the Kraken X61 worth it? or should I just stick with the Kraken X41? I'm planing on overclocking my i5 3570k and I was just curious what kind of temperature improvements I'd see with the X61 vs the X41. I'm currently running an aftermarket air cooler.

Secondly, I'm looking at getting a new monitor and my original plan was to get an ASUS VG248QE and put a G-Sync unit in it later. My friend tells me that 1080 wouldn't be worth it and I should focus on saving for a 4k monitor (possibly something imported from Korea), but my issue with that is I'd loose out on the benefits of G-Sync unless I wanted to shell out the cash for a 4k monitor with G-Sync equipped. My question is which route should I take, buy the ASUS VG248QE and get G-Sync, buy a 4k monitor, or do something different? I currently only have a GTX 570, but I'm planing on jumping up to an 880 once Nvidia releases the Maxwell cards.

Another thing with the monitor... When something like Star Citizen comes out I'm guessing I wont be able to play it at 4k with settings maxed on an 880, but would I be able to do that on a 1080 monitor? I'd really like to see this game in all its glory, so would it be worth doing the 4k and a little less perfomance/graphical quality, or the 1080 with the game maxed or nearly maxed out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom