• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.
The difference isn't even as much as 5-10% from what I can tell from benchmarks. I just don't think there is a reason to get a 970 over a 290x at this point. If you really can't decide, why not wait until the 300 series drops in a few months? Not sure what your current setup is like though. I went from a 6950 to the r9 290 I bought yesterday, man it is night and day.

I have a GTX 670, before that I had a 6950. The jump between those two was not insane, maybe like 15-20%, but I felt like Nvidia drivers were much better at that point.

Seems like a 670 to either 290x or 970 will be a huge jump. Just hesitant to go back to AMD.

mkenyon

Banned
I have a GTX 670, before that I had a 6950. The jump between those two was not insane, maybe like 15-20%, but I felt like Nvidia drivers were much better at that point.

Seems like a 670 to either 290x or 970 will be a huge jump. Just hesitant to go back to AMD.
Unless you're hurting for performance currently, I'd say stick with the 670 for now, and wait a few months for the new AMD release.

longdi

Banned
The 5960x overclocked to 4.5ghz must be absolutely fkin beastly. Any of the Haswell-E CPUs would be.

Can I ask what CPU cooler and case you have?

Believe it or not, i am only using a simple Thermalright SA_IBE in a RV02 case.

Granted i dont do intensive P95 tests or even multiple UHD videos editing, but for my daily drivers, temps don't go past 65 degrees Celsius. One of my best purchase in years.

I am probably set till PS5 games appear.

Unless you're hurting for performance currently, I'd say stick with the 670 for now, and wait a few months for the new AMD release.

Only problem with doing that is the launch prices. I'm assuming a 390 will launch at $400 or so, which is a little too much.

reKon

Banned
I got more Amazon cash to burn. It's going to come down to buying a GTX 970 when the price drops or waiting until the end of the year if cards with 8 GB of memory come. The issue is that I'm never going to want to pay over $300 just for a video card...

RGM79

Granted i dont do intensive P95 tests or even multiple UHD videos editing, but for my daily drivers, temps don't go past 65 degrees Celsius. One of my best purchase in years.

The Silver Arrow IB-E is pretty much one of the best air coolers you can get, it's very believable.

Only problem with doing that is the launch prices. I'm assuming a 390 will launch at $400 or so, which is a little too much.

Well, he's not exactly telling you to buy a 380/380X/390/390X, it's more to see how Nvidia reacts and if the R9 290/290X will see even further price cuts.

mkenyon

Banned
Well, he's not exactly telling you to buy a 380/380X/390/390X, it's more to see how Nvidia reacts and if the R9 290/290X will see even further price cuts.
Yep. The rebadged 290X (would that be a 380?), would probably see a price reduction. NVIDIA would also be forced to lower prices on the 980/970. It's the back and forth we've seen since forever.

Otherwise, if getting something cheaper a few months ahead isn't something too horribly important to you (and I understand this, I bought a 780 Ti KPE with 970s/980s around the corner), then by all means.

pelican

New Mini-ITX build:

*Z97N GAMING-5 Gigabyte Mobo
*i5-4690k clocked @ 4.5ghz - cooled Corsair H100i
*16gb Corsair vengeance pro 2133mhz
*EVGA 980GTX Superclock boost @ GPU 1420/ memory 7010
*Corsair RM850 Gold Rate PSU
*Corsair Air 240 mini-itx case
*Monitor Benq 1440p (can't remember model)

hrnb.jpg

irnb.jpg

note - the missing mobo backplate, waiting for replacement (I bent it lol)

Unstable

Any suggestions for wireless keyboard, mouse, and headset for gaming? I'm gaming on my couch which is about 10 feet away from my PC.

mkenyon

Banned
Any suggestions for wireless keyboard, mouse, and headset for gaming? I'm gaming on my couch which is about 10 feet away from my PC.
Price range?

Immediate suggestion would be Sensei for wireless mouse.

There's some wireless mech keyboards, but I'm completely ignorant as to whether or not they work well.

For headset, Steelseries H Wireless. It's a great piece of kit, and can even be compared favorably to standard quality wired headsets despite the wireless connection.
The wibbly wobbly part?
Brought a smile to my face on an otherwise crazy afternoon. tyvm

Unstable

Price range?

Immediate suggestion would be Sensei for wireless mouse.

There's some wireless mech keyboards, but I'm completely ignorant as to whether or not they work well.

For headset, Steelseries H Wireless. It's a great piece of kit, and can even be compared favorably to standard quality wired headsets despite the wireless connection.

Brought a smile to my face on an otherwise crazy afternoon. tyvm

I was looking at the Sensei earlier. As a MMO player, I like my mice with a little more buttons. Nothing crazy like some MMO mice but I would like a tad more. For reference I use a G500s.

I was also looking at the headset, I'm glad the quality is comparable to wired headsets. How's mic quality and the battery life on it? I read the battery is only 10 hours, although it does come with a swap able battery pack.

My price range is whatever it takes to get all of my cables off of the living room floor =P.

So $500ish?

mkenyon

Banned
G700 is probably a good fit for you then. Logitech does good stuff with wireless devices given how many products they use that are wireless.

If you don't want a mech keyboard, I'd say just go to a local store and try typing on some of the nicer Logi wireless boards and see what you like in terms of feel. Lots of people really like the K750, and it has nice scissor switches.

Video for the Wireless H: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI-6uYPrWbQ

mkenyon

Banned
zomg, that's kind of a big deal.

Glad I still have a couple sticks lying around with the ISO ready to rock.

RIP Digitalriver ISOs :(

asdad123

So my brothers graphics card broke and I gave him my gtx 770 so now I need a new card. Don't have a ati or nvidia preference.

I can get a 290x for $290, a gtx 970 for $330, or a gtx 980 for $515. The gtx 980 is stretching my budget a lot. I'm going to be playing mainly at 2560x1440 but I do have a 4k tv I'd like to give it a go at once in a while for shits and giggles.

Is there anything wrong with going for the 290x?

rogue74

Alright guys, I have the upgrade bug.

Currently I am running an AMD Phenom II 965 system with a GTX 460. I will be reusing the case, power supply, and keeping my 1TB HD as mechanical storage. I am planning to upgrade with the following:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($241.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($106.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($63.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($106.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($344.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $849.92

Any feedback? The CPU/MB is a combo from Newegg.

I also have a 8GB of DDR3 1333 RAM. I'm assuming the upgrade to 1866 is worth it (or necessary)?

mkenyon

Banned
I'd imagine the TV is 30Hz at 4K? Dono if that's something you really want to try out on PC.

If it's one of the dual pane 4K panels (takes two images and puts them together side by side) AMD has historically had a hard time with those.

Otherwise, I'd say the 290X is *probably* the better bet.
I found this web site which has Windows ISOs: http://getintopc.com/softwares/oper...home-premium-free-download-iso-32-bit-64-bit/

Anyone care to give any valuable input?
My built in anti virus (aka brain control over right index finger) threw up alarms checking that out.
Alright guys, I have the upgrade bug.

Currently I am running an AMD Phenom II 965 system with a GTX 460. I will be reusing the case, power supply, and keeping my 1TB HD as mechanical storage. I am planning to upgrade with the following:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($241.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($106.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($63.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($106.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($344.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $849.92

Any feedback? The CPU/MB is a combo from Newegg.

I also have a 8GB of DDR3 1333 RAM. I'm assuming the upgrade to 1866 is worth it (or necessary)?
Speed increase on RAM is definitely not worth it. I'd reuse what you have, as long as it's 1.5V @ 1333.

Yeah, easily. That CPU will last several years. I'm planning to overclock a 5820k to 4ghz soon, my Noctua CPU fan should be sufficient.

You mean Air 540? 550D doesn't have a window.

In any case, I'd avoid cold cathodes. There's a large number of different LED options for you. I've used these in the instances I've had LED lighting and quite like them. They're really reliable, and if you stick with a few of the smaller strips, it doesn't get overly bright.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...047&cm_re=bitfenix_led-_-11-997-047-_-Product

Used on the backside of the motherboard tray here for ambient lighting:

Same concept here, but also with some single LEDs in the waterblocks and bridge:

Yeah soz I meant Corsair Air 540.

Thanks for the advice. Nice, that second image looks very cool and is what I'm looking for. I hadn't considered LEDs as I thought they added some small amount of heat to your internal temps.

A confession though: I ordered some cheapish white cold cathode light rods a little earlier. Gonna stick them inside and see if they are too bright for me or not.

reKon

Banned
I'd imagine the TV is 30Hz at 4K? Dono if that's something you really want to try out on PC.

If it's one of the dual pane 4K panels (takes two images and puts them together side by side) AMD has historically had a hard time with those.

My built in anti virus (aka brain control over right index finger) threw up alarms checking that out.

Speed increase on RAM is definitely not worth it. I'd reuse what you have, as long as it's 1.5V @ 1333.

I scanned the file, lol. It's fine. Check the comments section.

asdad123

It's a LG UB8500 that supports 4k 60hz via hdmi 2.0.

NoRéN

I've never stress tested my cpu. Used for over a year with no problems.

If I were to give OCCT a whirl, what temperatures should I expect from a i7 4770k and a hyper 212 evo?

Foxyone

I bought a pre-built Dell PC with some type of wireless chip; would it likely be a large improvement to get a PCI wifi adapter to use instead for gaming? If so, any suggestions on one to get?

RGM79

I scanned the file, lol. It's fine. Check the comments section.
AV and malware scanners aren't bulletproof, I highly recommend checking MD5 checksums to see if they match the official ISO checksum. Just because malware isn't detected doesn't mean it wasn't baked into the ISO.

I bought a pre-built Dell PC with some type of wireless chip; would it likely be a large improvement to get a PCI wifi adapter to use instead for gaming? If so, any suggestions on one to get?
Nope, it won't make much of a difference unless the wireless chipset that came with the prebuilt was really old or bottlenecked somehow (depends on the router and what speeds you're connecting at). The best way would be to have a wired connection.

So I have a 2500k OC'd at 3.9. I'm looking at new Intel CPUs and it seems like not much progress has been made over the past 4 years. Am I wrong in thinking this? Is there a major new chipset soonish?

RGM79

So I have a 2500k OC'd at 3.9. I'm looking at new Intel CPUs and it seems like not much progress has been made over the past 4 years. Am I wrong in thinking this? Is there a major new chipset soonish?
You could wait until Skylake CPUs and the new Z170 chipset come out sometime around September this year, but no, the venerable 2500K is still very potent, especially when overclocked. What CPU cooler do you have? A 2500K overclocked to 4.5GHz will still be good for a year or two longer.

Ocaholic did some tests and there's not a lot of difference in terms of performance.

You could wait until Skylake CPUs and the new Z170 chipset come out sometime around September this year, but no, the venerable 2500K is still very potent, especially when overclocked. What CPU cooler do you have? A 2500K overclocked to 4.5GHz will still be good for a year or two longer.

Ocaholic did some tests and there's not a lot of difference in terms of performance.

I did get a Hyper 212 EVO a couple years back after the original fan died.

And my OC is just a simple automatic one from the motherboard. Every time I try to manually do it, it always freezes up or BSOD. I dunno, I have such little confidence in trying it.

RGM79

I did get a Hyper 212 EVO a couple years back after the original fan died.

And my OC is just a simple automatic one from the motherboard. Every time I try to manually do it, it always freezes up or BSOD. I dunno, I have such little confidence in trying it.

If you don't mind trying again, there's the Overclock.net Sandy Bridge owner's thread for overclocking, contains lots of info for safe settings and etc. Or are you looking for something like a foolproof guide? It can vary according to what motherboard you have, I think. Lots of motherboards will perform the same but may have settings under different names, according to whatever the manufacturer likes to do.

hlhbk

Has anyone installed a gtx 980 on an Asus maximus vii hero? I can't seem to get it to install in the pcie slots because the back of the card is hitting the sata ports on the board? Is there a trick to this?

RGM79

Has anyone installed a gtx 980 on an Asus maximus vii hero? I can't seem to get it to install in the pcie slots because the back of the card is hitting the sata ports on the board? Is there a trick to this?

The card shouldn't be hanging low enough to interfere with parts of the motherboard. Are you sure you have the card slotted in and aligned properly with the back of the case?

Is there anything plugged into those SATA ports?

If you don't mind trying again, there's the Overclock.net Sandy Bridge owner's thread for overclocking, contains lots of info for safe settings and etc. Or are you looking for something like a foolproof guide? It can vary according to what motherboard you have, I think. Lots of motherboards will perform the same but may have settings under different names, according to whatever the manufacturer likes to do.

Thanks I'll take a look at that.

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah, def should not be hitting those at all. There should be a solid .25-.5" of clearance between the motherboard and card, which should not interfere with the SATA ports.

First time posting in here, and gonna be making my first PC in the next month with a friend who's built many in the past.

Just a quick question:

What are things I should consider when wanting to play games on high settings while streaming in HD on things like Twitch? Would I have to specifically beef processor/RAM/graphics/etc? Looking to spend around $1500 to make the tower.

I can piece together a machine myself on some site, so just looking for general advice with what I'm trying to achieve.

VoxPop

Decided to just full on get a new PC instead of upgrading bits and pieces.

Built my first PC via this thread and have been happy with it for the past 4 or so years. Its due for an upgrade. Although the initial Crucial 64GB SSD crapped out on me fairly quick so I'm hesitant on getting another Crucial one. I have an Intel 400GB SSD I got as a gift in my current rig so I might just move that. The 1x 8GB is incase I want to upgrade to more ram down the line. Needed a new monitor / keyboard / mouse as well so just threw that in there as well.

What do you guys think? Anything I should look to change?

Also if I don't end up giving my current rig to a family member, I'm considering just using the Corsair 650W PSU currently in here to save money. Just not sure if it fits.

The rest of the stuff is probably gonna go. (i5 2500K / GTX 570 / 2x 4GB G.Skill 1600 Ripjaws)

mkenyon

Banned
First time posting in here, and gonna be making my first PC in the next month with a friend who's built many in the past.

Just a quick question:

What are things I should consider when wanting to play games on high settings while streaming in HD on things like Twitch? Would I have to specifically beef processor/RAM/graphics/etc? Looking to spend around $1500 to make the tower.

I can piece together a machine myself on some site, so just looking for general advice with what I'm trying to achieve.
Your two options to have the least impact possible on your machine.

Option 1: Shadowplay/GameDVR streaming. Any Kepler/Maxwell NVIDIA card as well as the 290 and 290x can do this. It'll still be helpful to have separate storage devices for games and recording cache.

Option 2: Capture card in secondary PC that you use for streaming.

What do you current have in terms of desktop parts? You can turn pmuch anything into a streaming machine.
Decided to just full on get a new PC instead of upgrading bits and pieces.

Built my first PC via this thread and have been happy with it for the past 4 or so years. Its due for an upgrade. Although the initial Crucial 64GB SSD crapped out on me fairly quick so I'm hesitant on getting another Crucial one. I have an Intel 400GB SSD I got as a gift in my current rig so I might just move that. The 1x 8GB is incase I want to upgrade to more ram down the line. Needed a new monitor / keyboard / mouse as well so just threw that in there as well.

What do you guys think? Anything I should look to change?
I'd highly suggest waiting a few months for a new stream of high refresh rate 1440p monitors that are about to hit the market. They are coming in G-Sync, Freesync, or standard 144Hz varieties in IPS and AHVA. That's going to have a significant impact on the current pricing of a lot of displays, and I always try to preach the word of 120Hz/144Hz gaming. It's seriously phenomenal.

Also, I'd suggest a nice optical mouse over the Sensei. Short list of mice to look at:

- Zowie FK
- Zowie AM
- Zowie FK1
- Zowie EC1 CL
- Zowie EC1 eVo
- Zowie EC2 CL
- Zowie EC2 eVo
- Razer Deathadder 3G
- Razer Deathadder 3.5G
- Razer Deathadder 2013
- Razer Abyssus
- Logitech G400
- Logitech G400s
- Logitech G502
- Logitech G402
- Steelseries Kana V2
- Steelseries Rival
- Mionix Avoir 7000
- Cooler Master Storm Spawn
- Cooler master Storm Alcor
- Roccat Savu
- Roccat Kone Pure Optical
- Roccat Kone Pure Military
- Mad Catz R.A.T. 3
- Corsair M45
- Corsair Sabre Optical

Finally, I think the Das is horribly overpriced.

VoxPop

Your two options to have the least impact possible on your machine.

Option 1: Shadowplay/GameDVR streaming. Any Kepler/Maxwell NVIDIA card as well as the 290 and 290x can do this. It'll still be helpful to have separate storage devices for games and recording cache.

Option 2: Capture card in secondary PC that you use for streaming.

What do you current have in terms of desktop parts? You can turn pmuch anything into a streaming machine.

I'd highly suggest waiting a few months for a new stream of high refresh rate 1440p monitors that are about to hit the market. They are coming in G-Sync, Freesync, or standard 144Hz varieties in IPS and AHVA. That's going to have a significant impact on the current pricing of a lot of displays, and I always try to preach the word of 120Hz/144Hz gaming. It's seriously phenomenal.

Also, I'd suggest a nice optical mouse over the Sensei. Short list of mice to look at:

- Zowie FK
- Zowie AM
- Zowie FK1
- Zowie EC1 CL
- Zowie EC1 eVo
- Zowie EC2 CL
- Zowie EC2 eVo
- Razer Deathadder 3G
- Razer Deathadder 3.5G
- Razer Deathadder 2013
- Razer Abyssus
- Logitech G400
- Logitech G400s
- Logitech G502
- Logitech G402
- Steelseries Kana V2
- Steelseries Rival
- Mionix Avoir 7000
- Cooler Master Storm Spawn
- Cooler master Storm Alcor
- Roccat Savu
- Roccat Kone Pure Optical
- Roccat Kone Pure Military
- Mad Catz R.A.T. 3
- Corsair M45
- Corsair Sabre Optical

Finally, I think the Das is horribly overpriced.

Thanks! Will probably pick one of the mice you recommended instead. I was just enamored by the glowing SS logo :p

I was actually looking for that cheap rosewill keyboard in the OP but seems its out of stock everywhere. Just looking for a minimalist, quiet, chiclet styled keyboard.

Currently using the Mac keyboard since I run my rig as a Hackintosh / PC dual boot.

Also I'm not too savvy about monitors. I don't need incredible refresh rates or anything like that (or at least I don't think I do?) I don't game as much as I used to and when I do they are usually non intensive stuff like Dota / Diablo / WoW / etc. The 970 is just a safety net in case something I love does come out. But I do a lot of adobe work and design so I need something good for along those lines. I am using a horrible monitor right now and honestly most excited about the jump to 27" and 1440p. Any recommendations on what I should wait for?

mkenyon

Banned

hlhbk

I had a noob moment and got the 980 installed! Everything is powered up! Installing Windows! So excited! Thanks everyone for your help!

paolo11

New Mini-ITX build:

*Z97N GAMING-5 Gigabyte Mobo
*i5-4690k clocked @ 4.5ghz - cooled Corsair H100i
*16gb Corsair vengeance pro 2133mhz
*EVGA 980GTX Superclock boost @ GPU 1420/ memory 7010
*Corsair RM850 Gold Rate PSU
*Corsair Air 240 mini-itx case
*Monitor Benq 1440p (can't remember model)

hrnb.jpg

irnb.jpg

note - the missing mobo backplate, waiting for replacement (I bent it lol)

Nice. I have that case but SLI 980gtx.

VoxPop

One of these monitors:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8895/...uaranteed-120hz-and-a-mechanical-rgb-keyboard

http://www.blurbusters.com/benq-confirms-144hz-freesync/

http://www.blurbusters.com/asus-announces-mg279q-an-ips-120hz-monitor/

http://www.blurbusters.com/breaking-news-ips-144hz-coming/

That Monoprice should be right around $500, hopefully the ASUS isn't too much more either.

High refresh rate makes *everything* better. It's like my eyes being massaged.

That monoprice monitor and keyboard actually look pretty awesome! I guess I can wait! For the monitor at least.

VoxPop

If you want a chiclet style keyboard, check out the logitech K740/850 or something like that. Mech keyboards are loud.

I will probably keep the new rig as a dual boot Hackintosh as well. Will mostly will be recycling my Mac keyboard :p Thanks though!

wilflare

any good recommendations for
(1) Storage HDD - I need to replace my 640GB WD Black SATA2 and 1TB WD Green SATA2
(2) ext Reader for HDD/SSD - to help with backups etc

alright, so I am not really knowledgeable when it comes to CPU's. Right now I have an i5-3350p.

I am looking to get a new one and think I have come down to either an i7-4790k, or an i7-4820k. I am assuming either of these would be a major upgrade from what I have, would that be correct? I have tried to do a little bit of research between the two, which I think has lead me to believe the 4790k is better? Any guidance would be appreciated. Just seems strange because I can get the 4790 for cheaper than the 4820

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom