• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Addnan

If I'm planning to overclock my I5 4690k and I have the Hyper 212 am I going to be fine with basic thermal paste? I haven't bought it yet but I didn't know if there was much difference in a $5 tube and a $10-$15 tube.
Just use the stuff that comes with it

LilJoka

I'm having second thoughts about the Storm Enforcer case with it being an old one and seemingly now discontinued, with places just selling off old stock, so I'm looking for something different. I honestly can't really find something that suits what I'm after though.

I have seen this one,
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showp...lCaVFsuNB37R8pHhXNdJl_Kf01JZKi5w5EhoCrezw_wcB
Anyone know anything about it? The one thing putting me off about it is that it doesn't have any 2.5" drive bays for SSDs.

For reference, the rest of the spec is,

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£167.50 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-GAMING 7 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£119.96 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£133.03 @ More Computers)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£122.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£53.94 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (£269.94 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£87.60 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/RSBS DVD/CD Writer (£11.89 @ CCL Computers)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£71.60 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £1038.45
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

As best I can tell, everything should fit comfortably and have room for a good CPU cooler.

Ideally I don't want to spend more than £80 on the case really. Mid-Tower would be preferred over Full Tower

Are you really going to SLI?
Why not just sell the GPU and buy the next best thing? I went from GTX 780 to GTX 970 for £50 after 1.5years. If i wanted to SLI my 780 it would of cost me £230. For £450 i could of just sold the 780, add in the £230 and got a GTX 980. SLI makes no sense unless you do it now imo. The inconsistant frame times, poor driver profiles, delayed SLI profiles and generally inconsistent scaling means it isnt a great experience. Theres also more noise and heat produced with SLI.

LilJoka

My bios is not seeing it, even though I enabled USB boot and plugged it into a USB 2.0 port on the back :(

Edit: tried a different card reader no luck.

Edit 2: When I downloaded the Windows 8 ISO from here after the download was complete the same utility asked me if I want to create bootable media to install Windows, which I let it do. Now I want to try the Windows USB/DVD Download Utility to do it but I don't know where the ISO was downloaded :\

Edit 3: Apparently it didn't create an ISO... it's a bunch of folders and files. Ugh... worst user experience ever :p

Creating ISO now. Hope this works.

Edit 4: Nope. Fuck this. I'm pulling out the DVD burner...

The tool you used originally downloads the ISO, prepares the USB to be bootable, then extracts the ISO to the USB drive - hence you see the files and folders. That should have worked.

If you can get hold of the Win 8 ISO, and then use the old Win 7 USB tool from microsoft, that should work too.

appaws

Banned
I'm having second thoughts about the Storm Enforcer case with it being an old one and seemingly now discontinued, with places just selling off old stock, so I'm looking for something different. I honestly can't really find something that suits what I'm after though.

I have seen this one,
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showp...lCaVFsuNB37R8pHhXNdJl_Kf01JZKi5w5EhoCrezw_wcB
Anyone know anything about it? The one thing putting me off about it is that it doesn't have any 2.5" drive bays for SSDs.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-GAMING 7 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£119.96 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£133.03 @ More Computers)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£122.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£53.94 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (£269.94 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£87.60 @ Amazon UK)

As best I can tell, everything should fit comfortably and have room for a good CPU cooler.

Ideally I don't want to spend more than £80 on the case really. Mid-Tower would be preferred over Full Tower

There are a lot of good cases. Look at the OP. Look at video reviews on the Hardware Canucks Youtube channel.

My current personal favs are the NZXT S340 on the lower price end. The Fractal R5 looks amazing, especially for a quiet build. The two chamber design of the Corsair Air 540 will make everything look amazing. It also has good air flow.

RM8

Guys, I'm in somewhat of a dilemma. I'm absolutely in the market for a real gaming PC (I've been gaming on a toaster for a while), something I can actually upgrade unlike my current "all in one" PC. But then next year I'm going to be abroad for at least 6 months and I'd really, really benefit from a laptop :( I'm not sure what to do, I think it'd be best to buy a beefy laptop and then finally build a PC once it starts to fall behind in a couple of years. What's a good gaming PC that will let me play Street Fighter V effortlessly in the future? It'd be cool if I could use a separate monitor to use it as a "desktop" PC as well.

EGG

Neo Member
Hey I'm going to be shipping my computer across the continent (SF to Ottawa) and I was looking for shipping advice. I'm doing it this week. The case is a node 804 and I have is original box to make shipping easier. Thanks!

(if you need more info let me know)
Do i just fill it with the shipping popcorn?

Lockon

I just tested my power supply with the paperclip test...I don't see/feel/hear the fan spin...so this might be it. I'm going to get it check at a local shop anyway just to make sure it's the only thing that busted. I hope they don't charge absurd price though.

So I bought my stuffs from newegg, I can get it replace right? I never have to return anything I bought from internet before...lol.

LilJoka

Yeah, bubble wrap, shipping popcorn, any bits of spare foam. Tape it up real good, maybe even parcel wrap the whole box.

Maybe a good idea to remove the CPU heatsink and GPU, take those in your luggage.

Lagamorph

There are a lot of good cases. Look at the OP. Look at video reviews on the Hardware Canucks Youtube channel.

My current personal favs are the NZXT S340 on the lower price end. The Fractal R5 looks amazing, especially for a quiet build. The two chamber design of the Corsair Air 540 will make everything look amazing. It also has good air flow.

I did have a look at the ones in the OP but they were all a bit....dull.

Momentary

Banned
I wish there were more "modern" contemporary console-like ITX cases like the ML07B.

81Y8S3xePRL._SL1500_.jpg

But I feel this case is just lacking. It's also missing dust filters like the RVZ-01 comes with. I guess they can be ordered separately, but internally I feel like there could be more offered. For one, there are a few cards like the 980 Classified and the Matrix that can't fit in there. Seeing as how this is something that's new I guess will see more progress for the form factor in the next year. I really wish digital storm would offer their console ITX case for sale. I feel like that's the best one on the market.

LilJoka

I wish there were more "modern" contemporary console-like ITX cases like the ML07B.

But I feel this case is just lacking. It's also missing dust filters like the RVZ-01 comes with. I guess they can be ordered separately, but internally I feel like there could be more offered. For one, there are a few cards like the 980 Classified and the Matrix that can't fit in there. Seeing as how this is something that's new I guess will see more progress for the form factor in the next year. I really wish digital storm would offer their console ITX case for sale. I feel like that's the best one on the market.

Silverstone FTZ01, just waiting for release though =(
Fractal Design Node 605 for people who can fit that size in their home theatre.

Crub

How do I know if something is off with my CPU? I get better performance in Dolphin and Higan by not letting them run on the first core. In Higan's case it goes from being unplayable with heavy slow-downs and framedrops, to running flawlessly.

I've ran Intel's Processor Diagnostic Tool and it says everything is fine.

Gruso

If you can get some solid pieces of thick styrofoam to pack around it, do that (in addition to all the other padding & wrapping you can do). Once it's packed, ask yourself if it would survive being dropped or kicked. Because that's what's going to happen to it.

As LilJoka said, I would take CPU & GPU as hand luggage. Then fill the case interior with packing peanuts or even crumpled newspaper, to provide shock absorption for any components still inside. Then close the case and encase it in styrofoam / other packing material, and finally box it and fill all the gaps with more packing material.

Sounds over the top, but trust me, no one gives a shit what's in your package. Expect the worst treatment.

commissar

Hey all,

Looking at upgrading a PC - i5 2500K @ Stock 3.3 with 8GB RAM and a 2GB Radeon HD 6970.
Its main use is gaming and this is choking a bit.

So:

If I overclock the 2500K to 4.something and just upgrade the GPU to say a 4GB GTX 970, will this remain relatively futureproof or will I also need to upgrade the CPU? RAM still ok at 8GB?

Basically want 1080p @ 60hz with high/ultra quality for pretty games on CryEngine and Unreal 4. Maybe even the next Assassin's Creed and GTAV, not that we know the required specs yet. Frostbite & Witcher 3 would be nice too :]

Thanks for the help!

There should be one entirely made of aluminum at this point.

appaws

Banned

Haha, your taste is opposite from mine I guess. I like the really plain, monolithic sort of case. There are a lot out there that are more blinged out.

Maybe you should have a look at the Phanteks cases, they have some LEDs on the outside to jazz them up. There is also the NZXT H440 that comes in several different multi-color combinations.

There is also the quite nice Corsair 780T, which comes in a nice yellow...but that is a full tower.

RGM79

I have seen this one,

That Aerocool case looks fine for the features. You can install 2.5" drives in the 3.5" bays. According to this review, the 3.5" hard drive trays include screw holes to secure 2.5" drives.

Hi all, i'm currently saving money for my new rig (at the moment I saved about 1000 euro), looking at the OP i would like to build something like Haz's excellent or enthusiast builds.

I just don't know when would be the right time to upgrade, and from those builds what is necessary for gaming and what is not, my pc is 7 y.o. and i was thinking of doing it before witcher 3 release, but it now got pushed back to may.
I have a q6600 with a gtx 550 ti which are not the best things around, but i have no hurry, so what do you all think?
Black Friday sales less than a few weeks ago would have been an OK time to buy. Maybe wait until Christmas/Boxing sales to buy parts?

If I'm planning to overclock my I5 4690k and I have the Hyper 212 am I going to be fine with basic thermal paste? I haven't bought it yet but I didn't know if there was much difference in a $5 tube and a $10-$15 tube.

You'll be fine with the tube that came with the heatsink. The differences between the higher end stuff and average thermal paste generally amounts to 5 degrees C or less.

Guys, I'm in somewhat of a dilemma. I'm absolutely in the market for a real gaming PC (I've been gaming on a toaster for a while), something I can actually upgrade unlike my current "all in one" PC. But then next year I'm going to be abroad for at least 6 months and I'd really, really benefit from a laptop :( I'm not sure what to do, I think it'd be best to buy a beefy laptop and then finally build a PC once it starts to fall behind in a couple of years. What's a good gaming PC that will let me play Street Fighter V effortlessly in the future? It'd be cool if I could use a separate monitor to use it as a "desktop" PC as well.

The requirements for SF5 are unknown. I don't imagine it will be that stressful for most hardware, though. Pretty much any laptop made in the last 10 years has some form of video output, usually HDMI, VGA or displayport.

What's your budget for a laptop?

RGM79

Cooler Master HAF, some Antec gaming models, and NZXT cases might be more up your alley.

How do I know if something is off with my CPU? I get better performance in Dolphin and Higan by not letting them run on the first core. In Higan's case it goes from being unplayable with heavy slow-downs and framedrops, to running flawlessly.

I've ran Intel's Processor Diagnostic Tool and it says everything is fine.
What are you using to tell the program not to run on the first core? Task manager affinity settings?

Hey all,

Looking at upgrading a PC - i5 2500K @ Stock 3.3 with 8GB RAM and a 2GB Radeon HD 6970.

So:

If I overclock the 2500K to 4.something and just upgrade the GPU to say a 4GB GTX 970, will this remain relatively futureproof or will I also need to upgrade the CPU? RAM still ok at 8GB?

Basically want 1080p @ 60hz with high/ultra quality for pretty games on CryEngine and Unreal 4. Maybe even the next Assassin's Creed and GTAV, not that we know the required specs yet. Frostbite & Witcher 3 would be nice too :]

Thanks for the help!

Your processor is definitely still great. An overclock will let it keep up with the latest games. If you see high RAM usage, then you could get more RAM. Start a game and run other things in the background like a web browser with lots of tabs and/or video playing. If you hit 80%, then an upgrade could be in order.

But yes, a graphics card upgrade will benefit you the most. A GTX 970 would be great if it was in your budget.

Lunar15

What's the preferred CPU cooler around here for a i7-4790k? Picked up an Enthoo Luxe, so I have ample space for a radiator.

I see that the guide in the OP shows H105 for a liquid cooler, but just wanted to check and see if that's still recommended. I'm willing to spend, as long as it's not over $150 or something crazy like that.

appaws

Banned
What's the preferred CPU cooler around here for a i7-4790k? Picked up an Enthoo Luxe, so I have ample space for a radiator.

I see that the guide in the OP shows H105 for a liquid cooler, but just wanted to check and see if that's still recommended. I'm willing to spend, as long as it's not over $150 or something crazy like that.

It really depends. Are you sure you want to go with an AIO water cooler...? Or maybe higher end air, like one of the Noctua coolers.

Just remember that there is no performance advantage to an AIO over air. It's all about looks. Unless we are talking about one of the really great Swiftech units which are actually MUCH better than the typical AIO.

Lunar15

It really depends. Are you sure you want to go with an AIO water cooler...maybe higher end air, like one of the Noctua coolers.

Just remember that there is no performance advantage to an AIO over air. It's all about looks. Unless we are talking about one of the really great Swiftech units which are actually MUCH better than the typical AIO.

See, this is why I ask. I didn't know that there's no real performance differences between air and AIO.

Looks are not vital, I'm just looking for something cool and reasonably quiet. I'd say Swiftech falls out of my price range.

RGM79

For great budget cooling, the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo costs $29 and can go on sale for $25 or so. The middle price range of CPU coolers includes the Noctua NH-D14 for $70, and the Corsair H60 also $70.

If $150 is your budget and you want supremely high end cooling, then you have a few options. For air cooling, there's the Noctua NH-D15 for $100 and the Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme for $96. For water cooling, the NZXT Kraken X61 is $133, the Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate is $140.

Water cooling is not generally better than air cooling in terms of performance. The main benefit is that it can be mounted in different ways and fit where some larger air coolers can't, and some people like the looks. In terms of price to performance, air cooling will always beat out water cooling.

Here's some comparative charts for overall performance:

commissar

Your processor is definitely still great. An overclock will let it keep up with the latest games. If you see high RAM usage, then you could get more RAM. Start a game and run other things in the background like a web browser with lots of tabs and/or video playing. If you hit 80%, then an upgrade could be in order.

But yes, a graphics card upgrade will benefit you the most. A GTX 970 would be great if it was in your budget.
Cool, thanks for your advice :D!

RM8

The requirements for SF5 are unknown. I don't imagine it will be that stressful for most hardware, though. Pretty much any laptop made in the last 10 years has some form of video output, usually HDMI, VGA or displayport.

What's your budget for a laptop?
I think I decided against a laptop. I'll try to get informed, I want to build the smallest PC possible that isn't completely gimped. Small pre-made PCs are cool and very, very convenient, but I'd be back to over-paying for un-upgradeable hardware :(

This new Alienware Alpha PC-console thing looks ideal, but you can't upgrade the GPU and I'm not sure it'll be enough for the following couple of years.

RGM79

I think I decided against a laptop. I'll try to get informed, I want to build the smallest PC possible that isn't completely gimped. Small pre-made PCs are cool and very, very convenient, but I'd be back to over-paying for un-upgradeable hardware :(

This new Alienware Alpha PC-console thing looks ideal, but you can't upgrade the GPU and I'm not sure it'll be enough for the following couple of years.

Do you have a budget? I can help with parts selection. Looks like you will be wanting mITX parts.

appaws

Banned
See, this is why I ask. I didn't know that there's no real performance differences between air and AIO.

Looks are not vital, I'm just looking for something cool and reasonably quiet. I'd say Swiftech falls out of my price range.

Cool and reasonably quiet is easy. You could go with something as reasonable as the Cooler Master 212 Evo, like RGM79 mentioned. Put a couple low rpm static pressure fans on there or use some kind of fan controller to spin those suckers down.

When I used to use air....I had an Evo with 2 Corsair SP120 Quiet Edition fans in push-pull. It was very quiet. Then I added an inexpensive fan controller and cranked those fans down to 40% of their rated speed. Inaudible.

That would leave you some extra $$$ for games or booze or whatever...!

Archaonlotr

Neo Member
Thanks for everyone's suggestions

PC finally built - couldn't be happier - getting a 17,400 3D Mark 2013 firestrike score
with my GTX 970s

Best suggestion was the EVGA supernova 850W, great great PSU, cant say enough good things about it

Also the 450D is a sweet case

Build completed pic:

15803985199_1766ce8d93_b.jpg

RGM79

Thanks for everyone's suggestions

PC finally built - couldn't be happier - getting a 17,400 3D Mark 2013 firestrike score
with my GTX 970s

Best suggestion was the EVGA supernova 850W, great great PSU, cant say enough good things about it

Also the 450D is a sweet case

Build completed pic:

15803985199_1766ce8d93_b.jpg

Ah, that was a few weeks ago. Didn't get a reply back so wasn't sure what parts you went with. Yeah, the EVGA power supply is very good. I still think the RAM was expensive, though.

Nice build. The colors go well with each other.

Kezen

Banned
I see your MSI 970 sag somewhat, mine does as well but it's more subtle. The card is properly seated and well in place, maybe it is simply too heavy hence the sag.

Archaonlotr

Neo Member
I see your MSI 970 sag somewhat, mine does as well but it's more subtle. The card is properly seated and well in place, maybe it is simply too heavy hence the sag.

I didnt actually notice it until i installed the sound card, which is perfectly upright

without the sound card, i didnt notice the sag

garath

Hey all,

So:

Thanks for the help!

As RGM79 said, you'll be fine for the immediate future with a 970 upgrade and overclocking your 2500k.

I have a 2500k @ 4.2, a 970 and 8 gigs of RAM. I'm able to comfortably run Dragon Age on a combination of Ultra/High for everything except MSAA @1080p and I get 80-120fps. Farcry 4 was running well around 60fps with another combo of Ultra/High as well.

Axass

I hope I'm doing this right.

So, my old Geforce (it was a 7400 or something) got fried and I'd like to buy a new and obviously better card. I never played AAA games on PC, and I know nothing about PC building. This is my current PC:

CPU: Pentium Dual Core E5300 @ 2,60 GHz
RAM: Patriot DDR2 6400 2GB Module 800mhz
Motherboard: Asus P5QPL-AM G41 mATX VGA 2xDDR2 4xSata GLan
PSU: Dunno, where do I have to look?
Case: I wish I knew, it's black and has Kraun written on it.
HDD: Western Digital WD5000AAKS 500GB Sata2 1MB

So this guy wants to sell me a Nvidia Geforce GT 740 made by Asus, with 1GB GDDR5 for €70 (I live in Italy), but I've seen it's not too hot as far as modern GPUs go. So I'd like to have some suggestions from you guys.

I'd like to keep the motherboard if possible, because I can't spend too much. I use my 42 inches Samsung screen as a monitor. I mostly use the desktop PC for gaming, internet, watching films, no game streaming, video editing or such; as far as emulation goes I never tried PS2/Wii stuff, but I may have to soon as my PS2 lens is dying on me, while my Wii has some very bad black artifacts on screen with certain games.

I play mostly on Steam now and all my non-Steam games are old stuff, so no problem for those; my Steam account, to see what games I have (most of which I never touched due to my PC being very old): http://steamcommunity.com/id/axasss/games/?tab=all.

I'd like to know what you think about the guy's offer, and if you have any other suggestion for RAM, GPU or whatever else. My budget can't really go over €150 at the moment, but feel free to suggest anything you think would be good for me anyway, I'll keep it in mind.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I may have found a buyer for my laptop. So I think I'm going to try and get my Desktop ordered and built. I was hoping to get some help on tweaking this with the following stipulations:

1) I want the i7 as I do a good amount of 3D CAD and modelling work (with structural analysis software), as well as development in Unity. I will overclock eventually, but not yet (hence why I don't have a cooler option in there yet).

2) I want a GPU that can run "last gen" games well. I will upgrade my GPU when a good deal comes around on a higher tier one. So I prefer the mobo to be able to support the better cards, but I don't want to spend $300+ on one right now.

3) Mobo wise, I don't know much about what's good/worth paying for. I don't really care about SLI. I thought I've read that some mobos have built in wifi? If so, that'd be awesome.

Any help/tips/tweaks to this build? This is really at the top of my budget right now - I also need to factor in the cost of the OS and a monitor (which I can borrow from work for now).

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($304.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 PRO3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($81.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($52.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($198.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.15 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $859.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-10 10:28 EST-0500

can anyone tell me the name of the cases made by some designer, whom i want to say is japanese?

very minimalist towers, blacked-out, hard to track down (limited?)

Hoping someone can answer this for me...because it scared me. I just booted my PC up from a cold boot. I always turn it off every night. When I booted it up everything was normal...showed BIOS screen and then it went to a black screen saying no Displayport. I figured loose cable or bad cable right? Checked loose...nope. Tried it in various slots on the GPU...nope. Tried it on motherboard integrated...nope. Tried different cable...nope. Tried a different monitor with various connections...nope. So I was freaking out. Turned PC off and then turned it back on and now everything is fine under the Displayport and it works normal.

What the hell could've caused that? Is this what cold boots do?

xBladeM6x

I'm about to buy an 850 Pro 256GB. That 10 Year Warranty probably plays a lot into it. This will be my first SSD, so are there any useful tips to know when using it / setting it up? (If any)

Could RAM be the issue from a cold boot like that and then you reset and everything is fine? PC is only a little over a month old and I did do a lot of stress testing on it including RAM. Never did this before from a cold boot although I did leave it unusually cold in my room last night because I like the cold. Not sure if that matters. If RAM is a possibility what program should I run for it other than MEMTEST which I find unreliable. Other than this issue cropping up on the first boot today I've never noticed another problem with this PC and have been hitting it hard with gaming lately(Dragon Age specifically).

So I put my old SSD (OCZ Vertex 2, not a boot-drive) into my new system, but it only shows up every other boot or so. It's showing up right now, but when it isn't there's no sign of it in BIOS or anything.

It worked perfectly fine in my old rig and I haven't touched it until now when I put it in.

Old rig:

X58 Asus P6T SE
i7 920

New rig:

Asus Z97-A
i7 4790K

Any suggestions?

Mozendo

3) Mobo wise, I don't know much about what's good/worth paying for. I don't really care about SLI. I thought I've read that some mobos have built in wifi? If so, that'd be awesome.
You'd be better off just buying a WiFi adapter than buying a MoBo with an integrated WiFi adapter just due to costs.

Also I'd go with the this PSU.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
You'd be better off just buying a WiFi adapter than buying a MoBo with an integrated WiFi adapter just due to costs.

Also I'd go with the this PSU.

Can you elaborate as to why? It looks to be identical to the PSU I have, just more expensive.

Also, on the mobo, can I make due with the one I have?

LilJoka

Can you elaborate as to why? It looks to be identical to the PSU I have, just more expensive.

Also, on the mobo, can I make due with the one I have?

You dont want SLI, you want wifi, why not go mini ITX?
A huge chassis for such a basic rig doesnt really make sense and it doesn't even fulfill what your asking without spending more money.

Heres an ITX rig with wifi (AC) onboard in a compact case with a quality PSU. Also a Hyper 212 Evo to keep it silent and opportunity to overclock.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($304.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.99 @ Micro Center)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($67.15 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($51.85 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB DUAL-X Video Card ($184.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12G 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($76.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $887.94
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-10 14:18 EST-0500

Could also do something similar with a Silverstone RVZ01.

XBP

Would really appreciate some help here. Just set up my new PC, connected it via HDMI to my monitor but its not displaying anything? There is a black screen with no connection. Not sure whats wrong honestly. Graphics card seems to be working and there were no beeps on startup.

Would really appreciate some help here. Just set up my new PC, connected it via HDMI to my monitor but its not displaying anything? There is a black screen with no connection. Not sure whats wrong honestly. Graphics card seems to be working and there were no beeps on startup.

So is the computer turning on, fans going, and everything but nothing is displaying on your monitor? Or does it seem to be in a "reset" cycle where it's turning on but seeming to not post and then reboots.

Himemiya

OK I think since I have an i5-4460 processor, I'll go with a GA-Z97M-D3H instead of a GA-B85M-D3H motherboard. This seems alright?

You may have to contact Gigabyte support and see if they have some way of knowing without actually putting the computer together to test it.

By the way, thanks, this is what I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom