• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think your CPU was already a bottleneck back when you bought it, compared to the i5 2500K. According to this benchmark, you could benefit from both a CPU and GPU upgrade. Your Phenom and 6850 are on the lower end of the performance scale.

Anyway, upgrading to a GTX 760 will give you roughly twice the GPU power, although I think you'll still be held back by the CPU. Same goes for the GTX 970, even stronger GPU but held back by your CPU.

Anyway.. what's your budget for upgrades? Do you play any other games than the Total War series?

The only games I play are League of Legends, CS:GO, Chivalry, and Total War series games (mostly Napoleon and now Rome 2). Since this setup runs fine with most of the games I play I was trying to see if just a GPU upgrade was justifiable. Thanks to the links you have posted it does not seem to be the case. I will most likely go for the 1200$ build this spring since my finances have improved over the past 4 years. I appreciate the help.

RGM79

The only games I play are League of Legends, CS:GO, Chivalry, and Total War series games (mostly Napoleon and now Rome 2). Since this setup runs fine with most of the games I play I was trying to see if just a GPU upgrade was justifiable. Thanks to the links you have posted it does not seem to be the case. I will most likely go for the 1200$ build this spring since my finances have improved over the past 4 years. I appreciate the help.

No problem. Come back and we'll put together a list of parts for you.

Ronnie

Banned
Yeah, I sort of doubt it was overheating. You should see different symptoms with overheating. It may be a faulty power switch or the motherboard or power supply.

Have you tried the screwdriver trick mentioned earlier to make it turn on? That would eliminate the power switch as being faulty if it didn't work.

There's a similar test to see if the power supply turns on or not.

As appaws said, I think the i5 will do fine for you. Very few games will actually take advantage of the i7 hyperthreading, like Arma 3. Unless you have a cramped case, the Corsair H55 won't be much better than a cheaper decent air cooler like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo.

If we know what prices you're paying for the parts, we could suggest alternatives. I wonder if you can get 60fps at 1440p with the GTX 970.

Thanks I'll replace the air cooler to that one. I'm quite keen to play at 1440p and get as high a frame rate as possible, would an i7 not help for this?

jrush64

Banned
So I got a new motherboard that's working with my processor finally. An ASRock Z97M. But now my GTX 970 isn't being recognized. The fan's spin and everything.

Do I need to reinstall the drivers?

I got it working by switching the PCi slot. Finally

RGM79

Thanks I'll replace the air cooler to that one. I'm quite keen to play at 1440p and get as high a frame rate as possible, would an i7 not help for this?

If it fits in your budget and you want it, go for it. I'm just saying that for most games, the $100 cheaper i5 will perform within 5-10% of the i7. The gap becomes even smaller if you overclock the i5 (overclocking the i7 is also possible). It's your call.

It's difficult to find much current information on Elite Dangerous, the current recommended requirements state that the old i5 2500K is enough. There's offhand comments about ED being heavily multithreaded and that it will use all cores, but nothing concrete to support that. A reddit thread seems to point out that a current i5 processor is more than enough, and there will be future optimization to make the game run better.

So I got a new motherboard that's working with my processor finally. An ASRock Z97M. But now my GTX 970 isn't being recognized. The fan's spin and everything.

Do I need to reinstall the drivers?

I got it working by switching the PCi slot. Finally

Were you using it in the topmost PCI-E slot?

Is the i5-4690K worth paying almost $50 over the i5-4590? (local prices)

I know one is unlocked and the other isn't and what that entails. But I'm wondering if you would consider the cost worth for the ability to overclock. I'm not aware if the two CPUs differ significantly in other ways (other than a tiny increase in stock speeds)

RGM79

Is the i5-4690K worth paying almost $50 over the i5-4590? (local prices)

I know one is unlocked and the other isn't and what that entails. But I'm wondering if you would consider the cost worth for the ability to overclock. I'm not aware if the two CPUs differ significantly in other ways (other than a tiny increase in stock speeds)

I'd consider the ability to overclock useful. You'll be able to get some more performance out of it easily if you pair it with a CPU cooler to replace the stock Intel cooler, but yes, that is added cost, and whether you want to overclock or not will depend on what you do with the computer, games or media production or computation.

If you're not one to tinker with BIOS settings and keep an eye on system temperatures, then I'd stick with the i5 4590.

jrush64

Banned
Were you using it in the topmost PCI-E slot?

No I was using the one closest to the processor. But I switched it to the topmost one and it is working now.

Thank you ASRock.

Bumhat

After my PC-building success (courtesy of GAF) I told a friend about it and now he wants in on the action. He needs help choosing parts for a new PC, and this is what he said about it:

"Basically I need to run a lot of plugins in music production software simultaneously, graphics aren't essential."

To elaborate: he's a freelance audio producer (mixing, clean up, and so on) and his ancient Mac is struggling to do what he wants. He uses Presonus Studio One for 'plugin-heavy music production'. I'm a video editor by trade so the voodoo magic required for intense audio production is beyond me (that's what a post house is for!) so if anyone in the know can recommend a decent system that'd be great.

His budget is around £1000 (give or take) and he won't be using the system for games, it's just for audio work.

RGM79

After my PC-building success (courtesy of GAF) I told a friend about it and now he wants in on the action. He needs help choosing parts for a new PC, and this is what he said about it:

"Basically I need to run a lot of plugins in music production software simultaneously, graphics aren't essential."

To elaborate: he's a freelance audio producer (mixing, clean up, and so on) and his ancient Mac is struggling to do what he wants. He uses Presonus Studio One for 'plugin-heavy music production'. I'm a video editor by trade so the voodoo magic required for intense audio production is beyond me (that's what a post house is for!) so if anyone in the know can recommend a decent system that'd be great.

His budget is around £1000 (give or take) and he won't be using the system for games, it's just for audio work.

Does he have any sound card requirements or a sound card in mind? Does he want a compact computer? Here's a starting build. I went for compact size, a slightly fancy case, i7 processor and 16GB RAM. There's a lot of room to change any part of the build, £1000 is more than enough for what he needs. Without a graphics card, there's a lot more money to spend on other parts, or he could save money and go with cheaper parts to save even more money.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (£244.94 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£76.12 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£110.86 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£149.98 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£53.94 @ Aria PC)
Case: Corsair 350D MicroATX Mid Tower Case (£72.23 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Plus 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£59.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £768.05
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-09 12:43 GMT+0000

Bumhat

Does he have any sound card requirements or a sound card in mind? Does he want a compact computer? Here's a starting build. I went for compact size, a slightly fancy case, i7 processor and 16GB RAM. There's a lot of room to change any part of the build, £1000 is more than enough for what he needs. Without a graphics card, there's a lot more money to spend on other parts, or he could save money and go with cheaper parts to save even more money.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (£244.94 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£76.12 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£110.86 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£149.98 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£53.94 @ Aria PC)
Case: Corsair 350D MicroATX Mid Tower Case (£72.23 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Plus 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£59.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £768.05
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-09 12:43 GMT+0000

Thanks for this! I don't think he's bothered about a compact case, and in regard to the sound card I think he's a little out of his depth - he's always used Macs so doesn't really have any PC-specific hardware preferences. If there's a card that will dramatically increase the quality of audio output while he's working then that would definitely be a plus.

Needlecrash

Dig the green case, Needlecrash. I wish the drive bays followed suit though! Maybe some DIY is in order.

Thanks man. I was thinking either to get this color or white, or go with the NZXT Phantom 630. I like simplicity and I'm happy that I got this one.

Ronnie

Banned
In the rig I just ordered the graphics card I chose came with the following information:

4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 970 1 DVI, 1 mHDMI, 3 mDP - 3D Vision Ready

No other information. I'm looking to connect my 27" Apple Cinema display which only has a mini DisplayPort connection built in. Am I reading the "3 mDP" part of the GPU description right? I should be good to go without any adapter? Seems a bit strange that it has 3x the same port though.

RGM79

Thanks for this! I don't think he's bothered about a compact case, and in regard to the sound card I think he's a little out of his depth - he's always used Macs so doesn't really have any PC-specific hardware preferences. If there's a card that will dramatically increase the quality of audio output while he's working then that would definitely be a plus.
Well, a decent sound card would be needed if he's doing high quality recording or output. If he's just doing audio software production with recordings and media provided. to him by clients he probably doesn't need it. If he has high end headphones, he may want it. If he was fine with the old Mac before, he likely doesn't need one. It really depends on what he's doing, if he's recording, etc.

You know.. It's possible to run OSX on PCs. It's not official by any means, but there are guides and entire communities out there around the topic. If he's interested in that, then I could redo the parts list for Mac compatible hardware. I'll need to do some research myself, but it'll probably still run under costs.

In the rig I just ordered the graphics card I chose came with the following information:

No other information. I'm looking to connect my 27" Apple Cinema display which only has a mini DisplayPort connection built in. Am I reading the "3 mDP" part of the GPU description right? I should be good to go without any adapter? Seems a bit strange that it has 3x the same port though.
Yeah, some of the GTX 970 models have that. I don't know which model you ordered, but this is what the Gigabyte G1 GTX 970's outputs look like.

Gigabyte_G1_Gaming_GeForce_GTX_970_ports_600.jpg

If you have the right cable, you'll be fine. Adaptors exist too.

Ronnie

Banned
Yeah, some of the GTX 970 models have that. I don't know which model you ordered, but this is what the Gigabyte G1 GTX 970's outputs look like.

If you have the right cable, you'll be fine. Adaptors exist too.

Are those 3 mDP inputs? I thought this was mDP, it's the only connection from my 27" apple display

Mini_displayport.jpg

Warning: Moron question incoming.

If I build a new PC and just switch over hard drives (with OS installed) will my version of Windows be fine? Or will I need to buy new OS?

ISee

If I build a new PC and just switch over hard drives (with OS installed) will my version of Windows be fine? Or will I need to buy new OS?

You will be fine. There is a pointsysten in windows. Every hardware change adds a certain amount of points (mobos and cpu more then harddrives and ram for example). After you reach a certain amount of points you have to contact microsoft support to reactivate your copy. That is a standart procedure and nothing you need to worry about. Had to do this once with Win8 and I am useing it since reales and I upgrade my whole system regulary.

RGM79

Are those 3 mDP inputs? I thought this was mDP, it's the only connection from my 27" apple display

Mini_displayport.jpg
No, that is 3 x displayport output. DP and mDP are electrically compatible, it is the same thing but with a smaller connector and some other minor differences. That is why I mentioned that adaptors exist. Sorry if I was unclear.

I said I didn't know which model of GTX 970 you ordered, so I don't know of if your card actually has three mini displayport outputs. I posted the picture of that Gigabyte model to show you that some graphics cards do have triple displayport, so triple mDP is possible.

After looking around, I found that Palit has a GTX 970 that has three mDP outputs, so yes, it exists.

You will be fine. There is a pointsysten in windows. Every hardware change adds a certain amount of points (mobos and cpu more then harddrives and ram for example). After you reach a certain amount of points you have to contact microsoft support to reactivate your copy. That is a standart procedure and nothing you need to worry about. Had to do this once with Win8 and I am useing it since reales and I upgrade my whole system regulary.

ISee is correct, buying a new copy of Windows won't be necessary, but reinstalling Windows for everything to work properly will probably be required.

Hari Seldon

Man I'm trying to pick a case, and it is tough going. I want a mid size tower, with removable dust filters, and good air cooling. I was thinking of getting the new fractal design r5, but there aren't many reviews out yet, and it looks pretty damn big. I currently have the Antec 900 but I am not impressed by the build quality and the complete lack of dust filters. But I don't want to go any bigger if I can help it. Any recommendations?

RGM79

Man I'm trying to pick a case, and it is tough going. I want a mid size tower, with removable dust filters, and good air cooling. I was thinking of getting the new fractal design r5, but there aren't many reviews out yet, and it looks pretty damn big. I currently have the Antec 900 but I am not impressed by the build quality and the complete lack of dust filters. But I don't want to go any bigger if I can help it. Any recommendations?
Do you have specific measurements or dimensions in mind? If you think the R5 is too large, maybe you should look at mATX towers.

oxidax

So I went to the control panel to uninstall a program and I just found a Physx icon? What?
Im using a Radeon GPU. Why is that there? Im guessing Asscreed or Borderlands installed it. Should I keep it or delete it? Will uninstalling it mess up any of those games in any way?

So I went to the control panel to uninstall a program and I just found a Physx icon? What?
Im using a Radeon GPU. Why is that there? Im guessing Asscreed or Borderlands installed it. Should I keep it or delete it? Will uninstalling it mess up any of those games in any way?
Keep it. Some games require it to run. Cpu mode.

Hari Seldon

Do you have specific measurements or dimensions in mind? If you think the R5 is too large, maybe you should look at mATX towers.

I just need to measure the floor stand I keep my current case on. Looking at the fractal dimensions it is shorter than my Antec but two inches longer and an inch fatter. I think if it meets the dimensions I might pull the trigger. I was just looking for maybe other options. I am also considering the NZXT H440 but the cooling looks inferior and I'm not a fan of the lack of ODD. I don't really need silencing, so I was hoping there are some more traditional gaming cases with lots of dust filters. That is what I really want, the ability to easily clean my PC haha.

riflen

People seem very confused about PhysX. Yes, you should leave it. It's software you need to play certain games, even if you don't have a Nvidia GPU.
PhysX routines can be run on a general purpose CPU. It's simply middleware for physics simulation.

Depends on a number of factors.
1. Budget
2. will you be moving it, or would like to be able to easily move it?
3. Does it need to be able to support water cooling or at least a closed loop radiator setup?
4. Do you want a traditional side mounted board or a tiered horizontal setup (also related, do you want shorter but fatter case or a traditional case)
5. How many USB slots do you want? How many HDD's do you want/need it to support? etc.

You really have alot of choices and there's some really nice cases. But alot of people completely overestimate what they need. like me, I had a CM Stryker case and while it was great, had space, great airflow and tons of options, it was just way too much. I switched over to a corsair C70 which has reduced features, but I'm loving it.

Hari Seldon

Depends on a number of factors.
1. Budget
2. will you be moving it, or would like to be able to easily move it?
3. Does it need to be able to support water cooling or at least a closed loop radiator setup?
4. Do you want a traditional side mounted board or a tiered horizontal setup (also related, do you want shorter but fatter case or a traditional case)
5. How many USB slots do you want? How many HDD's do you want/need it to support? etc.

You really have alot of choices and there's some really nice cases. But alot of people completely overestimate what they need. like me, I had a CM Stryker case and while it was great, had space, great airflow and tons of options, it was just way too much. I switched over to a corsair C70 which has reduced features, but I'm loving it.

Yeah you are right. I think I"m going to pull the trigger on this Fractal Design R5 case. Everyone seems to love the previous models. It seems like a good all around case.

You're fine, so windows will detect that your system is different and it really doesn't like that for obvious reasons. Your best bet is to back up your necessary data and do a fresh install of windows when you get the new computer setup. There are ways around it, but it usually involves running a program built into windows called sysprep.exe that allows you to transfer the HDD to a new mobo setup. However it will "clean up" your computer removing files, administrative profiles, devices etc and you still have to reverify windows and go through a mini installation. Basically what I'm saying is it can cause problems and you should probably just do a fresh Install.

oxidax

Keep it. Some games require it to run. Cpu mode.

People seem very confused about PhysX. Yes, you should leave it. It's software you need to play certain games, even if you don't have a Nvidia GPU.
PhysX routines can be run on a general purpose CPU. It's simply middleware for physics simulation.

Thanks! Yea I just thought I wouldn't need it because Im not running Nvidia cards and their software would not really do anything on my PC.

bomblord1

Banned
Hey guys just want to pop in and ask a quick question. I don't need an entirely new PC (i5 3470k + 128GB SSD + 500GB HDD + 8GB ram) but I'm wondering if it's worth upgrading my somewhat aging Radeon 6870 to a newer card. I'm really strapped for cash though so I can't really go out and buy a $200+ card. Any ideas gaf?

The Llama

Hey guys just want to pop in and ask a quick question. I don't need an entirely new PC (i5 3470k + 128GB SSD + 500GB HDD + 8GB ram) but I'm wondering if it's worth upgrading my somewhat aging Radeon 6870 to a newer card. I'm really strapped for cash though so I can't really go out and buy a $200+ card. Any ideas gaf?

It's up to you. If you're not happy with the performance, sure, you can get a new card that will perform better. Whats your budget? Anything below $200?

RGM79

200 would be an absolute ceiling.

What games do you play? That may make a difference in graphics performance.

Generally speaking, I recommend the XFX R9 285 2GB for $190 after $30 mail in rebate, or the XFX R9 280X 3GB for $205 after $30 mail in rebate. Those are the absolute best graphics cards you can get for your $200 budget. If you aren't keen on spending right at the limit, then the Gigabyte R9 270X 2GB for $138 after $30 mail in rebate would still be a great update from your old 6870.

Here's some benchmark and game test comparisons compared to the 6870:
The R9 270X is about 40% better, depending on the game.
The R9 280X is over 50% better consistently, depending on the game.
The R9 280X and 285 are nearly equal.

Anyway, the cheap option would be the R9 270X, which has 2GB of graphics memory. The 280X and the 285 are quite equal, the 285 2GB being slightly cheaper but having less graphics memory, while the 280X has 3GB which makes it last a bit better for future use.

If you're wondering about Nvidia options, the pricing doesn't make them good alternatives. The cheapest GTX 760 is $168 and is more or less comparable to the cheaper R9 270X. The GTX 770 is $250 at the cheapest and is roughly equal to the 280X/285 which can be found for $45-60 cheaper.

Ronnie

Banned
After looking around, I found that Palit has a GTX 970 that has three mDP outputs, so yes, it exists.

Thank you for doing the research that's a huge help! Looks like the one I'm getting is perfect then. 3 mDP's seems a bit overkill but I'm not complaining.

RGM79

Thank you for doing the research that's a huge help! Looks like the one I'm getting is perfect then. 3 mDP's seems a bit overkill but I'm not complaining.

Palit's GTX 970 is considered not as good as other GTX 970 models in terms of pure performance or cooling. You could get a GTX 970 with a better cooler from other brands like EVGA or Gigabyte, and just use a mDP to DP cable or a mDP to DP adaptor.

That said, in reviews Palit's GTX 970 is said to be quiet, compact, and priced very well. If you can get it for a good price, it's a solid graphics card. Kitguru had some gripes with the overall physical design, while Guru3D reviewed it favorably.

appaws

Banned
Yeah you are right. I think I"m going to pull the trigger on this Fractal Design R5 case. Everyone seems to love the previous models. It seems like a good all around case.

I think that is a good choice. See the video review links I posted above.

RGM79

Can I use a USB connected HDD to install Windows 8 from? Or doesn't have to be a Flash drive?

Yes, You can't use the official Microsoft tool to set it up as if it were a USB drive, though. Either of these two guides should work, the second one looks quite interesting:

This guide instructs you to turn an external drive into a bootable USB device like a flash drive.

This guide tells you how to prepare the target computer's hard drive so you can copy Windows installation files directly to it and install without a Windows install USB or DVD.

Hmm, thanks, but I don't feel like going through additional steps now. How about using an SD card in a USB card reader? Will that work like a Flash drive?

RGM79

Hmm, thanks, but I don't feel like going through additional steps now. How about using an SD card in a USB card reader?

That should work with the official Microsoft tool. If not, you can use a wide range of other automatic tools to load Windows onto the SD USB reader.

Ronnie

Banned
Palit's GTX 970 is considered not as good as other GTX 970 models in terms of pure performance or cooling. You could get a GTX 970 with a better cooler from other brands like EVGA or Gigabyte, and just use a mDP to DP cable or a mDP to DP adaptor.

That said, in reviews Palit's GTX 970 is said to be quiet, compact, and priced very well. If you can get it for a good price, it's a solid graphics card. Kitguru had some gripes with the overall physical design, while Guru3D reviewed it favorably.

I'm not sure if I'm getting the Palit one, all I know is that it is a Nvidia 970 with 3 mDPs. It's being assembled by a site and delivered over the weekend. If it is the Palit, is it really worth telling them not to include a GPU and I can get one on amazon and install it myself? Is the supposed step down in performance really that major? Plus I don't think I can chance components now anyway :(

kennah

I'm not sure if I'm getting the Palit one, all I know is that it is a Nvidia 970 with 3 mDPs. It's being assembled by a site and delivered over the weekend. If it is the Palit, is it really worth telling them not to include a GPU and I can get one on amazon and install it myself? Is the supposed step down in performance really that major? Plus I don't think I can chance components now anyway :(

It'll be fine.

RGM79

Sounds like it's too difficult then. I wouldn't worry about the performance, it's probably just 5% or so. It's just that some people really want that 5% (and a bigger cooler).

That should work with the official Microsoft tool. If not, you can use a wide range of other automatic tools to load Windows onto the SD USB reader.

My bios is not seeing it, even though I enabled USB boot and plugged it into a USB 2.0 port on the back :(

Edit: tried a different card reader no luck.

Edit 2: When I downloaded the Windows 8 ISO from here after the download was complete the same utility asked me if I want to create bootable media to install Windows, which I let it do. Now I want to try the Windows USB/DVD Download Utility to do it but I don't know where the ISO was downloaded :\

Edit 3: Apparently it didn't create an ISO... it's a bunch of folders and files. Ugh... worst user experience ever :p

Creating ISO now. Hope this works.

Edit 4: Nope. Fuck this. I'm pulling out the DVD burner...

Lagamorph

I'm having second thoughts about the Storm Enforcer case with it being an old one and seemingly now discontinued, with places just selling off old stock, so I'm looking for something different. I honestly can't really find something that suits what I'm after though.

I have seen this one,
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showp...lCaVFsuNB37R8pHhXNdJl_Kf01JZKi5w5EhoCrezw_wcB
Anyone know anything about it? The one thing putting me off about it is that it doesn't have any 2.5" drive bays for SSDs.

For reference, the rest of the spec is,

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£167.50 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-GAMING 7 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£119.96 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£133.03 @ More Computers)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£122.99 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (£269.94 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£87.60 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/RSBS DVD/CD Writer (£11.89 @ CCL Computers)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£71.60 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £1038.45

As best I can tell, everything should fit comfortably and have room for a good CPU cooler.

Ideally I don't want to spend more than £80 on the case really. Mid-Tower would be preferred over Full Tower

Hi all, i'm currently saving money for my new rig (at the moment I saved about 1000 euro), looking at the OP i would like to build something like Haz's excellent or enthusiast builds.

I just don't know when would be the right time to upgrade, and from those builds what is necessary for gaming and what is not, my pc is 7 y.o. and i was thinking of doing it before witcher 3 release, but it now got pushed back to may.
I have a q6600 with a gtx 550 ti which are not the best things around, but i have no hurry, so what do you all think?

kamakazi5

If I'm planning to overclock my I5 4690k and I have the Hyper 212 am I going to be fine with basic thermal paste? I haven't bought it yet but I didn't know if there was much difference in a $5 tube and a $10-$15 tube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom