• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pooya

After that Zotac steambox announcement I was looking for similar small box I could use for a small workstation on a desk, none of the "NUC"s out there have a decent GPU or priced in my range except this by also Zotac ...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LATIY6C/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I don't care if it looks ugly and the price seems pretty good to me. I don't think I can build something like that myself. I'm not sure about the CPU, it's same as the one in Surface Pro which is very capable for usual tasks but not sure how games would fare (because Surface you're GPU bound of course). I don't exactly plan to play games on this but I need to use some engineering tools that benefit from GPU acceleration like CST and from what I'm looking at Maxwell 860m seems very capable. I have memory and SSD l can put inside this so no extra cost there. It comes with wifi ac too. I think specs are too good overall all things considered.

With the rise of new APIs I think the CPU will be just fine for this GPU. I'm sure it can handle StarCraftII/Heroes well enough at 1080p, that's probably all the gaming I would do on it.

so what say you?

riflen

I don't think I've ever done SLI in a staggered fashion. The last four configurations I've had SLI in mind right from the planning phase so it has been included in my budgets because that's the performance that I want so I would agree with your sentiments. I know the money is bigger and in the case of the newer cards that are coming out like the Titan then I understand the budgets go through the roof but that's my personal plan for next years upgrade. Will be going with 2 Titan X's.

On the subject of GPUs, the usual rumour/leak sites have said the first Titan X boards are likely to have been sent to reviewers. The GPU was powering several demos at GDC last week.
The card's probably going to launch at Nvidia's GPU Technology Conference on 17th of March. I hope AquaComputer will have a water block ready not too soon after that.
Gentlemen, warm up your Credit Cards.

Well I pick up my PC today. I had tigerdirect build it for me because I'm a wuss and didn't want to break anything. It ended up not being the $2700 sli 980 monster I was hoping for because something came up but its a nice $1500 rig that should last me a bit I also just wanted to thank everyone who helped me and read my grammatically awful posts to answer my questions.

LilJoka

Here's what'd I'd change..

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5960X 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($1003.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($128.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($243.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($204.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($286.48 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial BX100 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($373.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 4GB Twin Frozr Video Card ($549.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Phantom 820 (Grey) ATX Full Tower Case ($196.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($121.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Pioneer BDR-2209 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($79.99 @ B&H)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($87.75 @ OutletPC)
Sound Card: Asus Xonar Essence STX 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card ($179.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($127.99 @ Best Buy)
Mouse: ROCCAT Kone XTD Wired Laser Mouse ($75.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $3662.59
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-09 02:36 EDT-0400

Lots of money spent, still have a plastic case!
Consider CaseLabs or maybe Parvum (yes plastic but much nicer than cheap crap most cases use).

Heres a more adventurous build:

CPU: Intel Core i7-5930K 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($553.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X99M Killer Micro ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($209.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($240.19 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($199.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 4GB Twin Frozr Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($549.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 4GB Twin Frozr Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($549.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($121.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Pioneer BDR-2209 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($79.99 @ B&H) - Wont fit.
Sound Card: Asus Xonar Essence STX 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card ($179.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Other: EK L240 ($240.00)
Other: Parvum Systems S2.0 MicroATX Case - Black with Red ($200.00)
Total: $3791.31
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-09 11:35 EDT-0400

And a build log to see what its about:
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=388079

8xbb.jpg

tvud.jpg

SLI + Sound card may not fit in that though.

Smokey

On the subject of GPUs, the usual rumour/leak sites have said the first Titan X boards are likely to have been sent to reviewers. The GPU was powering several demos at GDC last week.
The card's probably going to launch at Nvidia's GPU Technology Conference on 17th of March. I hope AquaComputer will have a water block ready not too soon after that.

Welp

Smokey

Consider CaseLabs or maybe Parvum (yes plastic but much nicer than cheap crap most cases use).

Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X99M Killer Micro ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($209.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($240.19 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Pioneer BDR-2209 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($79.99 @ B&H) - Wont fit.

For the money ($4,000 budget) I lean more towards this build. Case is up to personal taste of course.

I love watching you work.

totally didn't expect them to announce it this early though ;_;

What are we thinking for price on the Titan X? Seems like it would have to be at least $1K.

rumor is $1,350 .

Reckoner

by new amd gpus do you mean the one with hbm? or are we getting a refresh?

Also not known. There have been conflicted reports. Earlier, it was said that only the 390 was going to be a new architecture with HBM, now it is said that they are going to refresh the whole series because of some cards not supporting Freesync, like the 270.

I installed an MSI R9 290x gpu along with a new motherboard and power supply. specs are as follow.

16gb of RAM
AMD FX8350
MSI R9 290x
along with a Corsair 850i

Im thinking of reinstalling W7 since Everytime Ive done a backup of it less space on the hdd is shown. It also is a little slower everytime my PC.

Also i ran Kingdoms of Amalur and it FPS dipped below 35.

any of you might know the problem?

So...guess which case I have to return due to noise

THE SILENTIUM

Got about 12 days ago everything working fine, get up this morning and the fan is making a ton of noise. And it came with the silentium.

So please do not order from this terrible company (azza)

Hmmm thanks for another build recommendation .... U guys need to take out the sound card now for my build

Anyone can recommend me a monitor?

Ihya

Hi,

So I posted a build a few weeks ago, thinking of using dino PC (UK) as I am complete noob at building a PC. This will be a gaming PC. Also, want ot to be quiet.

I'd like to get the price down somewhat, and I've read that 16GB Ram is not really used for gaming and not many programs use 16GB of RAM. This would save £65 going down to 8 GB. Is 16GB worth it, or will 8GB be fine for the next 4-5 years? Thanks.

CPU: 2228 - NEW! Intel Core i5 4690
CPU Cooler: 3028 - Zalman CNPS10X Optima
Operating System: 11022 - Windows 8.1 (64-bit)
Motherboard: 4216 - NEW! Gigabyte Z97-HD3
RAM: 5066 - 16GB Corsair 1866mhz Vengeance Pro (2x8GB)
Hard Drive: 6077 - NEW! Kingston 240GB SSD
Secondary Hard Drive: 6029 - 2TB S-ATAIII 6.0Gb/s
Optical Drive: 7003 - 22x DVD±RW DL S-ATA
Graphics card: 8139 - NEW! Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB Strix OC
Sound card: 10001 - Onboard 7.1 Audio
Case: 17119 - NEW! Cooler Master Silencio 652S
PSU: 18042 - 600W Corsair CX

Bar building it myself of course, is there is any 'fat' to the system I could cut out?

Thanks.

LilJoka

Hi,

So I posted a build a few weeks ago, thinking of using dino PC (UK) as I am complete noob at building a PC. This will be a gaming PC. Also, want ot to be quiet.

I'd like to get the price down somewhat, and I've read that 16GB Ram is not really used for gaming and not many programs use 16GB of RAM. This would save £65 going down to 8 GB. Is 16GB worth it, or will 8GB be fine for the next 4-5 years? Thanks.

CPU: 2228 - NEW! Intel Core i5 4690
CPU Cooler: 3028 - Zalman CNPS10X Optima
Operating System: 11022 - Windows 8.1 (64-bit)
Motherboard: 4216 - NEW! Gigabyte Z97-HD3
RAM: 5066 - 16GB Corsair 1866mhz Vengeance Pro (2x8GB)
Hard Drive: 6077 - NEW! Kingston 240GB SSD
Secondary Hard Drive: 6029 - 2TB S-ATAIII 6.0Gb/s
Optical Drive: 7003 - 22x DVD±RW DL S-ATA
Graphics card: 8139 - NEW! Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB Strix OC
Sound card: 10001 - Onboard 7.1 Audio
Case: 17119 - NEW! Cooler Master Silencio 652S
PSU: 18042 - 600W Corsair CX

Bar building it myself of course, is there is any 'fat' to the system I could cut out?

Thanks.

Firstly crazy that you are paying £1000 for such a build.

Secondly, you have a Z series motherboard and a non-K CPU. Z series allows overclocking K series CPU, so either go non-K and H series, or K series CPU and Z series motherboard.
You want it to last 4-5 years then you should be overclocking.

Dont buy the Kingston SSD, get the Crucial MX100.

Also might be nicer to get the Fractal Design R4 instead of that case.

Heres a known quantity to compare to. Better PSU, overclockable CPU, better case and a not a Seagate HDD (which is most likely what youll get at Dino). Its not too far off really.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£236.34 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.34 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£80.36 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£52.99 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£79.50 @ Scan.co.uk)
Storage: Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£56.84 @ Scan.co.uk)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (£279.42 @ Aria PC)
Case: Silverstone TJ08B-E MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£64.99 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£65.46 @ Scan.co.uk)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer (£10.19 @ Aria PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£74.09 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £1025.52
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-09 19:19 GMT+0000

Ihya

Firstly crazy that you are paying £1000 for such a build.

Secondly, you have a Z series motherboard and a non-K CPU. Z series allows overclocking K series CPU, so either go non-K and H series, or K series CPU and Z series motherboard.
You want it to last 4-5 years then you should be overclocking.

Dont buy the Kingston SSD, get the Crucial MX100.

Also might be nicer to get the Fractal Design R4 instead of that case.

Thanks. I'm unhappy to build it myself, and have no experience in that regard, and want a company to do that for me. Can you or anyone recommend a cheaper company in the UK that builds PCs if you consider that price crazy?

LilJoka

Thanks. I'm unhappy to build it myself, and have no experience in that regard, and want a company to do that for me. Can you or anyone recommend a cheaper company in the UK that builds PCs if you consider that price crazy?

Tbh looking at what i just put togethor its not that bad.

My only concern is Hard Disk brand, and you could get a bit better PSU for the money, but its not a huge concern in the grand scheme of things. Contact them about the Hard Disk brand.

Also we all started building with no experience, you have to build to get experience!

Meier

For the money, I'd spend an extra $10 for another 10gb and better performance with the BX100:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RQA6TEI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Reviews show the Arc 100 performs somewhat relatively slower in read tests (what you're most likely to notice) when compared to others in its category:
http://www.computershopper.com/storage/reviews/ocz-arc-100-240gb/(page)/3#review-body

But if your budget is $90 and you're upgrading from a HDD, then by all means go for it. It'll still be a night and day difference in responsiveness.

Cool, thanks for the alternative and the added info! Both seem like good options. I've never used an SSD before so I'm a bit green on them.

Well between this and the new monitor I'm about to drop $2,000

Damn.

Ihya

Tbh looking at what i just put togethor its not that bad.

My only concern is Hard Disk brand, and you could get a bit better PSU for the money, but its not a huge concern in the grand scheme of things. Contact them about the Hard Disk brand.

Also we all started building with no experience, you have to build to get experience!

I'll contact them regarding the hard disk brand, thanks. On one of my original questions, 16 GB vs 8GB, is 16 used that much? Is it worth it for any performance increase it offers or will most games/software simply not use it? Thanks.

RGM79

Thanks Liljoka, going with the 5930K would definitely free up more money elsewhere.

I'll contact them regarding the hard disk brand, thanks. On one of my original questions, 16 GB vs 8GB, is 16 used that much? Is it worth it for any performance increase it offers or will most games/software simply not use it? Thanks.

Having more RAM doesn't really change your PC's processing performance in terms of how well games run, it just allows you to run things at once. 8GB is the standard that most people should be fine with, we recommend 16GB if budget allows for it or the person is going to be doing heavy multi-tasking, video editing, etc.

I don't think I've ever had to recommend more than 16GB outside of a few extreme cases.

Could anyone reccomend a good blu-ray player software? I have a blu-ray drive but, it didn't come with a disc/program to install.

For licensed blu ray player software, your only option is to buy software. You should try this VLC addon to see if it'll work though, it's free.

ok this is(hopefully) my last question's

1. How long will it take windows to install from a disk?
2. I don't think I can use a wireless keyboard before I have windows and its drivers installed but others think I can so yes or no?
3. Was I dumb not to do the build myself? Be honest gaf.

RGM79

ok this is(hopefully) my last question's

1. How long will it take windows to install from a disk?
2. I don't think I can use a wireless keyboard before I have windows and its drivers installed but others think I can so yes or no?
3. Was I dumb not to do the build myself? Be honest gaf.
1. 20 minutes? Somewhere around that, possibly a bit longer.
2. It should work unless your keyboard is something special, and by special I mean weird. I've been able to use a wireless Microsoft keyboard with my HTPC to access BIOS and everything.
3. Generally? It helps teach you a bit about how parts come together, and it'll be handy knowledge for when you want to upgrade your PC in the future. Save a bit of money, learn something along the way. It's actually kind of hard to break things, plugs only really fit one way where they're supposed to go, and there are so many helpful tutorial videos.. and we're here for advice.

LilJoka

Only reason to get 16Gb DDR3 today is that there is a prospect that in a year or so DDR3 prices may inflate as DDR4 becomes mainstream.

natjjohn

If cost was not a factor, I personally would go with the 450D due to looks and proven build quality of the Corsair Obsidian cases. I had a 250D and it never stopped amazing me how premium and well engineered that case felt. Fit everything and the kitchen sink inside a mITX case (I had a dual-radiator custom water cooling setup in mine).

But, NZXT also makes fine cases (my next build is using an H440). So it's really up to which one you think looks best, unless you have super-specific needs I'm not aware of yet.

I prefer the bigger case simply because it seems like it would be an easier build if I tried to self-build and though it may be insignificant, I like that it comes with three fans (vs. two I mostly see).

Issue is the case is big, not sure would fit in my desk space. In my mind, I have that it is a no-no to have the desktop on the carpet. I could do that and have it not near other items. Would that be a bad call? If so, then will have to roll with the smaller corsair obsidian. It should fit all my items, just have one less fan and be smaller. (still had the window).

Thanks for the input,

Tabasco

Do you guys recommend disassembling the video card to do a thorough cleaning of it to improve the lifespan and to reduce the noise it makes?

I've heard that if I wash the heatsink off with water, remove the dust, and reapply the thermal paste on the GPU, then I should be good to go.

H4r4kiri

So GAF i bought canned air under pressure from a computer store to clean my graphics card and computer. I did everything after the manual, but somehow in the process liquid came out of it. It dried immediately, but I was shocked, because this is not supposed to happen or is it ?
Do I have to worry ?

RGM79

Do you guys recommend disassembling the video card to do a thorough cleaning of it to improve the lifespan and to reduce the noise it makes?

I've heard that if I wash the heatsink off with water, remove the dust, and reapply the thermal paste on the GPU, then I should be good to go.

It's less user friendly than doing the same thing for a CPU, but the same principles apply. Search around and see if anyone else has done the same thing with your graphics card model in case there are some issues that other people ran into. Be very delicate, because the GPU is built into the circuit board and not self-contained, it's more fragile than handling a CPU.

The Llama

So GAF i bought canned air under pressure from a computer store to clean my graphics card and computer. I did everything after the manual, but somehow in the process liquid came out of it. It dried immediately, but I was shocked, because this is not supposed to happen or is it ?
Do I have to worry ?

I wouldn't worry about it unless it was a LOT and it got over a sensitive part. But even then its almost definitely harmless.

RGM79

Do I have to worry ?

Did you turn the can upside down or tilted at an angle? If you spray the can like that, it does exactly as you said. It shouldn't be a problem if you only sprayed a little bit as you said, it immediately went away, but that's normal.

no maam

Banned
Couple of questions. Just installed windows 10 on my new ssd. I have an existing 1tb hd, but when I start windows on the ssd it's not finding the old 1tb drive. Any suggestions. I believe I had a problem with this back when I used an older 64gb ssd. When I try using disk management it's just not there. I'm stumped. Thanks

edit.. nevermind. I booted windows from the old hard drive, it found the ssd under disk management, rebooted with the ssd and magically my old hd is found.

mkenyon

Banned
hmmm well if that's what you guys say....as i said i don't know that much really

just want to get a pc that can run anything consistently

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/aldz24/saved/#view=RpVcCJ here is my parts

still trying to change out parts..just saw the x99 and lga2011 socket mobo and cpu u told me about and holy shit at the prices ;_;

as you can see i have 4 PWM fans as i will replace the stock fans for the kraken and will do a push/pull thing for my cpu fan

my case is an 820 phantom..i like the phantom but it's a bit pricey..i went with that as the kraken might not fit for some reason..and the aesthetics is nice too if you guys have suggestions for others then fire away
i dunno what ddr4 memory to pick.... can you help me with that too lol

thanks guys I appreciate it
Here you go:

CPU: Intel Core i7-5930K 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($559.97 @ Directron)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($118.75 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($193.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX200 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($204.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial BX100 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($374.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 980 4GB STRIX Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($544.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 980 4GB STRIX Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($544.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000G2 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Sound Card: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Zx 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card ($128.88 @ OutletPC)
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K65 Compact Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Wired Gaming Keyboard ($83.99 @ B&H)
Mouse: Corsair Raptor M45 Wired Optical Mouse ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $3248.24
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-09 18:38 EDT-0400

Better mouse (quality optical sensor instead of that laser shit), smaller (better for gaming) keyboard. Price saved on all the parts that I could to give you better performance for the money.

The case is literally everything that anyone could need who isn't doing a full watercooled loop. Yeah, it's plastic, but you add savings there to afford this Acer Predator XB270HU. 144Hz, IPS, G-Sync.

I went with the Corsair H100 because 140mm fans suck for the most part. 120 gives you better compatibility and a MUCH MUCH better list of aftermarket fans should you choose to ever replace them.

Oh, and the SoundBlaster Z is generally regarded higher than the Xonar line on the basis of way better virtualized surround. Virtualized surround is the entire point of having a discrete sound card, otherwise you're better served by an external DAC/AMP setup like the Schiit Magni/Modi stack.

Also, are you sure you need a Blu Ray Writer thingie? Optical media is dead unless you have a specific use for it.

H4r4kiri

Did you turn the can upside down or tilted at an angle? If you spray the can like that, it does exactly as you said. It shouldn't be a problem if you only sprayed a little bit as you said, it immediately went away, but that's normal.

I wouldn't worry about it unless it was a LOT and it got over a sensitive part. But even then its almost definitely harmless.

Okay I hope I am fine :)

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So...guess which case I have to return due to noise

THE SILENTIUM

Got about 12 days ago everything working fine, get up this morning and the fan is making a ton of noise. And it came with the silentium.

So please do not order from this terrible company (azza)

If you are looking for silent, I picked up one of the Nanoxia Deep Silence cases (#5) and it has been absolutely fantastic. Very minimalist look to it, but I just love the case so far.

Here you go:

CPU: Intel Core i7-5930K 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($559.97 @ Directron)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($118.75 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($193.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX200 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($204.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial BX100 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($374.99 @ Adorama)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000G2 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Sound Card: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Zx 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card ($128.88 @ OutletPC)
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K65 Compact Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Wired Gaming Keyboard ($83.99 @ B&H)
Mouse: Corsair Raptor M45 Wired Optical Mouse ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $3248.24
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-09 18:38 EDT-0400

Better mouse (quality optical sensor instead of that laser shit), smaller (better for gaming) keyboard. Price saved on all the parts that I could to give you better performance for the money.

The case is literally everything that anyone could need who isn't doing a full watercooled loop. Yeah, it's plastic, but you add savings there to afford this Acer Predator XB270HU. 144Hz, IPS, G-Sync.

I went with the Corsair H100 because 140mm fans suck for the most part. 120 gives you better compatibility and a MUCH MUCH better list of aftermarket fans should you choose to ever replace them.

Oh, and the SoundBlaster Z is generally regarded higher than the Xonar line on the basis of way better virtualized surround. Virtualized surround is the entire point of having a discrete sound card, otherwise you're better served by an external DAC/AMP setup like the Schiit Magni/Modi stack.

Also, are you sure you need a Blu Ray Writer thingie? Optical media is dead unless you have a specific use for it.

thanks for the monitor suggestion :O i can't see it on newegg or amazon :O are there different retailers for the Acer XB270HU?

mkenyon

Banned
It'll be at retailers this month. There's a huge number of high refresh rate 1440p monitors coming out over the next two months.

I also hope to see a price drop on the ASUS RoG Swift as a result of all of this. At $650, I think I'd pick one of those up.

*edit*

You might also consider forgoing the dual 980s and wait on the Titan X reviews to hit. Even if it's only 30-40% faster than a 980, it'll be a much better bet for a long term card, and you wouldn't have to deal with dual card headaches. Same goes for the upcoming AMD 390X. You could get a card as a hold-over, like the 970 or something, until one of those come out. Though the Titan X should be soon as it's already in the hands of reviewers. I'd imagine the 390X will be close on its heels.

It'll be at retailers this month. There's a huge number of high refresh rate 1440p monitors coming out over the next two months.

I also hope to see a price drop on the ASUS RoG Swift as a result of all of this. At $650, I think I'd pick one of those up.

aight i got you..good thing i'll get the monitor last

Kabuto

What do you guys think about buying monitors on Craigslist? Someone near me is selling a Asus VG248QE (usually $280) for $180 and I really want to upgrade to a 144hz monitor right now.

bsnakes12

Neo Member
What do you guys think about buying monitors on Craigslist? Someone near me is selling a Asus VG248QE (usually $280) for $180 and I really want to upgrade to a 144hz monitor right now.

I'd recommend buying new. Craigslist can be great and I've never gotten burned and found some great deals but you just never know and I still accept the fact that anything I buy could work for a week and die and there's nothing I can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom