• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyriades

I just bought a reference 780 Ti and boy does this thing run hot and loud.. I have a Windforce non-reference model and it tops off at around 72c but the reference 780 Ti hits 83c and at times 84c which kicks on throttling.

I've since downloaded Afterburner and set the fan to go 100% at 80c . Now temps tops off at 75c.. I guess it worked but is it ever loud!

Best cable management ever! :p

Two 780 ti's. Top card is Gigabyte winforce, the bottom is a PNY reference card.

2015-03-07_18-06-27_42.jpg

JCH!

So I think I'm going a bit crazy.

I'm upgrading form my old (4 y/o) laptop and have built what I think is a pretty beefy machine with an i7-4790K, a GTX980, 16 gigs RAM, SSD, etc.

The problem is I still have to get a monitor and I have absolutely no idea what to buy. Everywhere I look all I see is some people saying that TN panels have crap colours/are washed out/have terrible viewing angles and some other people saying that IPS panels are horrible for gaming because they're too slow. I have absolutely no idea what to do.

This past year I've been gaming on my GF's iMac, which has an 1440p IPS panel and I've honestly not noticed any kind of input lag/horrible blurring. I don't know if this is because I don't know better, never having tried a proper gaming monitor, or because IPS panel drawbacks are greatly exaggerated online.

I just spent a lot of money on a new computer and can't even enjoy it properly because I don't know what monitor to buy...What do I do GAF? HELP

The Llama

I'm upgrading form my old (4 y/o) laptop and have built what I think is a pretty beefy machine with an i7-4790K, a GTX980, 16 gigs RAM, SSD, etc.

The problem is I still have to get a monitor and I have absolutely no idea what to buy. Everywhere I look all I see is some people saying that TN panels have crap colours/are washed out/have terrible viewing angles and some other people saying that IPS panels are horrible for gaming because they're too slow. I have absolutely no idea what to do.

This past year I've been gaming on my GF's iMac, which has an 1440p IPS panel and I've honestly not noticed any kind of input lag/horrible blurring. I don't know if this is because I don't know better, never having tried a proper gaming monitor, or because IPS panel drawbacks are greatly exaggerated online.

I just spent a lot of money on a new computer and can't even enjoy it properly because I don't know what monitor to buy...What do I do GAF? HELP

Whats your budget?

natjjohn

Are you looking for higher framerate and graphics quality? The 7850 should still be fine for a while if you don't care too strongly about either.

That's the best you'll get, and I still feel it's overpriced, as you can get basically the same thing elsewhere for $150 cheaper. Anyway..

You won't really need a sound card unless you have high end headphones you know won't work with integrated sound (and if that were true, you wouldn't need to ask, most likely) and DVD drives are sort of unnecessary nowadays, with USB drives and online distribution having largely replaced most needs for discs.

You will want a CPU cooler, however, the only one worth buying is out of stock. I recommend you buy the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo from one of these retailers.

Yes, Windows 7 will work just fine. Both Windows 7 and 8/8.1 will be receiving free upgrades to Windows 10, anyway.

I did close to this list, but swapped out for a different Power Supply and ram. Also added an optical drive.

With the edits I made, ran through the BB credit so was looking elsewhere for a case. Any recommendations that are on Amazon? Main thing is want something that will handle all th components and help with keeping temp cool.

finalflame

I did close to this list, but swapped out for a different Power Supply and ram. Also added an optical drive.

With the edits I made, ran through the BB credit so was looking elsewhere for a case. Any recommendations that are on Amazon? Main thing is want something that will handle all th components and help with keeping temp cool.

What's your budget? $100-150 I recommend this:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I6BJ8MQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

$50-100 I recommend this:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008B6ONXA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

$10 cheaper without a window:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008B6ONXA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

coopolon

What is the cheapest way to add display port capabilities to a PC? I'm assuming a cheap gpu, but the really cheap ones don't have display port capabilities. So I guess what' the cheapest gpu does have displayports (mini or full size.)?

finalflame

Hi all. Really need to build a new PC.. might either throw this in my existing system or just hold onto it for a bit. This SSD seems pretty solid and is only $90. Good reviews on Newegg and Amazon plus a decent score from Cnet. Worth it?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LULV4V2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

For the money, I'd spend an extra $10 for another 10gb and better performance with the BX100:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RQA6TEI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Reviews show the Arc 100 performs somewhat relatively slower in read tests (what you're most likely to notice) when compared to others in its category:
http://www.computershopper.com/storage/reviews/ocz-arc-100-240gb/(page)/3#review-body

But if your budget is $90 and you're upgrading from a HDD, then by all means go for it. It'll still be a night and day difference in responsiveness.

Water

What is the cheapest way to add display port capabilities to a PC? I'm assuming a cheap gpu, but the really cheap ones don't have display port capabilities. So I guess what' the cheapest gpu does have displayports (mini or full size.)?

Searching Newegg for GPUs with 1x Displayport and arranging by cheapest price finds a cheapest option of a Geforce GT330 for $40 + $8 shipping.

RedSwirl

You need to click digital output and click set default device. The DTS options should appear now. Then go to default format tab and select DTS Interactive from the drop down menu.

I wont bother about windows control panel.

I just did that. The DTS options don't appear.

Edit: I went to another option menu and switched from the "HD Audio Front Panel" to the "AC97 Front Panel" and some new devices showed up: Speakers and a Microphone. When I set Speakers to Default Device a configuration tab showed up (it still looks different form yours), but I get no sound when I test the speakers.

The only time I can get surround sound is when I test the DTS format for "Realtek Digital Output(Optical)" In the Windows control panel.

Reckoner

There are some IPS Gsync and Freesync 144hz monitors coming soon. I'd wait for those.
I'm already on the waiting line.

Hi Guys,

As the slightly techy one of the family, my sister gave me her laptop to repair. I was unaware as to why it was broken and from the outside looked fine...On the inside it was covered in sand...Turns out she had taken it to the beach and it fell into the sea. So the hardware for the most part is completely wrecked, but the 17inch LCD screen seems fine. I've told her this and she has just told me to do what ever I want to it.

So I'm thinking of taking the screen off and turning it into a tablet. I've got a space touch screen kit on hand that fits, but what I don't have is the hardware components.

A part of me is thinking Raspberry Pi, but the other part is thinking it might not be able to handle thing like gaming apps.

What would you guys suggest? Anything I should know before doing this?

I just ordered some PCIE cables for my PC and realized I have a question. Is there any compatibility issues to think about, or is a power cable just a power cable?

finalflame

I just ordered some PCIE cables for my PC and realized I have a question. Is there any compatibility issues to think about, or is a power cable just a power cable?

My understanding is that the pin-out for PSU power cables are PSU specific, so you'd want to make sure you're ordering cables that are compatible with your PSU. Unless you're getting extensions; those can be used across brands without a problem.

bomblord1

Banned
Considering upgrading my PC from an againg radeon 6870 (still haven't committed to anything). I'm wanting to stay cheap though.

Would this $160 Radeon R9 280 be a good upgrade or should I wait for the new line of cards to get something better for the same price?

My understanding is that the pin-out for PSU power cables are PSU specific, so you'd want to make sure you're ordering cables that are compatible with your PSU. Unless you're getting extensions; those can be used across brands without a problem.

Thanks. You helped me realize I ordered extensions when I wanted the actual cable.

finalflame

Considering upgrading my PC from an againg radeon 6870 (still haven't committed to anything). I'm wanting to stay cheap though.

Would this $160 Radeon R9 280 be a good upgrade or should I wait for the new line of cards to get something better for the same price?

Here are a few performance summaries:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gigabyte/R9_280X_OC/26.html

Looks like the 280x would be a decent upgrade from your 6870; looking at about a 100% increase in power, maybe a bit more.

It all depends on your needs. Are you looking to play things now and dissatisfied with your current card's performance? The 280X will be a nice step up. I wouldn't bank on any new cards hitting shelves until summer at the earliest, so if you can wait until then, you will probably get a better bang for your buck, although I think $160 for a 280X is a great deal. As far as price:performance goes, the 280X is one of the best values.

Thanks. You helped me realize I ordered extensions when I wanted the actual cable.

Glad I was able to help; it took me a while to figure that out, too. For cables you'll wanna look for cables designed for or by your PSU manufacturer, and for your specific model of PSU. This can be challenging sometimes if you're looking for sleeved cabling, but if you just need the cables you should contact/check your PSU manufacturer's website and they should be able to help you out.

bomblord1

Banned
Here are a few performance summaries:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gigabyte/R9_280X_OC/26.html

Looks like the 280x would be a decent upgrade from your 6870; looking at about a 100% increase in power, maybe a bit more.

It all depends on your needs. Are you looking to play things now and dissatisfied with your current card's performance? The 280X will be a nice step up. I wouldn't bank on any new cards hitting shelves until summer at the earliest, so if you can wait until then, you will probably get a better bang for your buck, although I think $160 for a 280X is a great deal. As far as price:performance goes, the 280X is one of the best values.

Glad I was able to help; it took me a while to figure that out, too. For cables you'll wanna look for cables designed for or by your PSU manufacturer, and for your specific model of PSU. This can be challenging sometimes if you're looking for sleeved cabling, but if you just need the cables you should contact/check your PSU manufacturer's website and they should be able to help you out.

I've basically hit a wall with my current card. I can't even emulate PCSX2 games at 1080p without some slowdown (well SOME games not ALL games) I have yet to find something that's stressing my i5 3470 though so it's really bottlenecking my system.

A 50% increase in performance seems incredibly small though.

According to GPU Boss the X variant scores range from 3-8x of the score depending on the benchmark used. However gpu boss doesn't score the non-x variant so I couldn't compare. I've read the non-x version actually outperforms the x one in some cases.

However, do you think waiting until summer could produce a better card at the same price?

bomblord1

Banned
Hi Guys,

As the slightly techy one of the family, my sister gave me her laptop to repair. I was unaware as to why it was broken and from the outside looked fine...On the inside it was covered in sand...Turns out she had taken it to the beach and it fell into the sea. So the hardware for the most part is completely wrecked, but the 17inch LCD screen seems fine. I've told her this and she has just told me to do what ever I want to it.

So I'm thinking of taking the screen off and turning it into a tablet. I've got a space touch screen kit on hand that fits, but what I don't have is the hardware components.

A part of me is thinking Raspberry Pi, but the other part is thinking it might not be able to handle thing like gaming apps.

What would you guys suggest? Anything I should know before doing this?

You're going to have a really hard time wiring up a laptop screen to a raspberry pi. Heck you'll have a hard time wiring a laptop screen to anything you're going to have to strip cables and sodder them togethor and even then I'm not sure the PC would recognize it as an output.

finalflame

I've basically hit a wall with my current card. I can't even emulate PCSX2 games at 1080p without some slowdown (well SOME games not ALL games) I have yet to find something that's stressing my i5 3470 though so it's really bottlenecking my system.

A 50% increase in performance seems incredibly small though.

According to GPU Boss the X variant scores range from 3-8x of the score depending on the benchmark used. However gpu boss doesn't score the non-x variant so I couldn't compare. I've read the non-x version actually outperforms the x one in some cases.

However, do you think waiting until summer could produce a better card at the same price?

Ah, my bad, I didn't realize you were looking at a Non-X variant. I am not sure how they compare (X vs. Non-X) because I'm not very familiar with AMD cards, but I'd imagine it's less of a difference than Ti vs. Non Ti, or similar.

It's anyone's guess at this point, but, I'd imagine the new AMD cards will slide into their typical price points, and the new 380/X will be somewhere in the 200-250 range. It will inevitably offer some performance gains over the 280, but at the same time it will be more expensive than what you could hope to spend on this one now.

You could always buy this one now, and get rid of it later for ~$100-120 to someone willing to buy it (eBay as a last resort). I'm not sure how well AMD cards hold their value, but I suspect you could get at least $100 for it, and put that towards a new 380X or higher.

I don't suspect you'll get much better performance at that price point ($160) by waiting 'til summer, because it already seems pretty low to begin with. Someone else more familiar with AMD's cards and pricing might be able to chime in with more insight than I'm able to provide.

RedSwirl

After installing the Asus drivers now I have no sound when I switch back to HDMI audio (though my GPU).

Nevermind. Still working on the other problem though.

natjjohn

One more to the mix (the one originally recommended). http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FUC6S5O/?tag=neogaf0e-20

What would be the consensus opinion of the three regardless of cost? Was planning on getting the cooler master hyper evo.

Thanks in advance

finalflame

One more to the mix (the one originally recommended). http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FUC6S5O/?tag=neogaf0e-20

What would be the consensus opinion of the three regardless of cost? Was planning on getting the cooler master hyper evo.

Thanks in advance

If cost was not a factor, I personally would go with the 450D due to looks and proven build quality of the Corsair Obsidian cases. I had a 250D and it never stopped amazing me how premium and well engineered that case felt. Fit everything and the kitchen sink inside a mITX case (I had a dual-radiator custom water cooling setup in mine).

But, NZXT also makes fine cases (my next build is using an H440). So it's really up to which one you think looks best, unless you have super-specific needs I'm not aware of yet.

Tyreny

Got a Gigabyte GTX970 for my birthday, dropped it in (had to cut a piece of the HDD bay chassis to fit this monster) and now im getting seemingly random system reboots when I do anything graphically intensive. I can log into WoW for instance, run around no problem, but I got hit by a boar and comp rebooted. In another game I get the reboot almost like clockwork whenever I do a specific ability that shows a bunch of sparks and fire. These aren't the only situations either.

I find if I turn down the graphic settings I can stay in game longer. Ironic.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this? I uninstalled and reinstalled all nvidia drivers with no change.

Got a Gigabyte GTX970 for my birthday, dropped it in (had to cut a piece of the HDD bay chassis to fit this monster) and now im getting seemingly random system reboots when I do anything graphically intensive. I can log into WoW for instance, run around no problem, but I got hit by a boar and comp rebooted. In another game I get the reboot almost like clockwork whenever I do a specific ability that shows a bunch of sparks and fire. These aren't the only situations either.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this? I uninstalled and reinstalled all nvidia drivers with no change.

Your power supply could be tripping. Please stop stressing it before you burn your house down, lol.

What model is it? How old is it?

Sounds like the power supply.

finalflame

Gonna third that this sounds like a struggling PSU. What brand, model, and wattage is it?

Tyreny

I suspected PSU as well. Shit tier (just learned about the difference in manufacturers through this issue) Raidmax 650W from a few years back. Have an Antec HCG 520W on order.

From what I've read the 520W should be fine? i5 4670k, 970, SSD and HDD and a DVD drive is all thats in my system + about 5 usb things (wifi, kb/m, bluetooth, xbox wireless adapter). The couple calculators I found online said I should be pulling somewhere in the 400s for wattage.

finalflame

I suspected PSU as well. Shit tier (just learned about the difference in manufacturers through this issue) Raidmax 650W from a few years back. Have an Antec HCG 520W on order.

From what I've read the 520W should be fine? i5 4670k, 970, SSD and HDD and a DVD drive is all thats in my system + about 5 usb things (wifi, kb/m, bluetooth, xbox wireless adapter). The couple calculators I found online said I should be pulling somewhere in the 400s for wattage.

A quality 520W PSU should be just fine for what you have unless you decide to SLi.

LilJoka

The HCG 520 will be fine.

Keikaku

Hey all!

I'm planning a new build in the next 2-3 months. I've taken a look through this thread as well as Logical Increments and hardware review sites and I think I've come up with a good build. I was wondering if I could get some feedback on it :)

Here's the relevant info:
Budget: $1600 max and I'm in the US
Main Use: I'd like to be able to game, do 3D modeling (3DS Max, Maya and Zbrush) and general purpose usage (internet streaming and the like)
Monitor Resolution: I have another ASUS monitor (a ASUS VH236H from 2009) that is going to become my secondary and I'm buying a new one to become my primary. This build should be able to handle a dual monitor setup.
Specific Apps/Games: Zbrush, 3DS Max/Maya and Photoshop are the main ones that I use on a day-to-day basis. I'd also love to be able to have this build eat Cryengine 3 and the Unreal engine without any issue at all. For games, I'm looking to get Witcher 3 running at 1080P with most of the high/ultra settings on and, beyond that, whatever else comes out in the next year or 2. I know this is probably asking a bit much but I'd also love to have minimal issues with Vive or Steam Link whenever those hit the market. I tried to "future proof" this build a bit but that's always a dicey proposition.
Part Reuse: No reused parts. Pretty much everything from my current build is outdated.
When will you build: Within the next 3 months
Will you be overclocking?: Yes

Here's the PC Part Picker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xdPHLk

Any feedback or suggestions would be much appreciated! Specifically, I'd love to get some more opinions on other fans for cooling and cable management given the case. Anything other than that is also welcome :)

RGM79

Hey all!

I'm planning a new build in the next 2-3 months. I've taken a look through this thread as well as Logical Increments and hardware review sites and I think I've come up with a good build. I was wondering if I could get some feedback on it :)

Here's the relevant info:
Budget: $1600 max and I'm in the US
Main Use: I'd like to be able to game, do 3D modeling (3DS Max, Maya and Zbrush) and general purpose usage (internet streaming and the like)
Monitor Resolution: I have another ASUS monitor (a ASUS VH236H from 2009) that is going to become my secondary and I'm buying a new one to become my primary. This build should be able to handle a dual monitor setup.
Specific Apps/Games: Zbrush, 3DS Max/Maya and Photoshop are the main ones that I use on a day-to-day basis. I'd also love to be able to have this build eat Cryengine 3 and the Unreal engine without any issue at all. For games, I'm looking to get Witcher 3 running at 1080P with most of the high/ultra settings on and, beyond that, whatever else comes out in the next year or 2. I know this is probably asking a bit much but I'd also love to have minimal issues with Vive or Steam Link whenever those hit the market. I tried to "future proof" this build a bit but that's always a dicey proposition.
Part Reuse: No reused parts. Pretty much everything from my current build is outdated.
When will you build: Within the next 3 months
Will you be overclocking?: Yes

Here's the PC Part Picker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xdPHLk

Any feedback or suggestions would be much appreciated! Specifically, I'd love to get some more opinions on other fans for cooling and cable management given the case. Anything other than that is also welcome :)

Are you buying the parts over the next three months, or are you saving up and will buy it more or less all at once within the next 3 months? Generally we don't recommend buying parts spread over any period of time longer than a couple of weeks.

The latest rumor about AMD's new R9 3XX graphics card line now say to expect them in June, which is about three months from now.. that may or may not influence when you want to put the PC together or at least what sort of graphics card you want.

Looking at your parts list, there's a lot that can be changed to save money and work out better. Here's what I'd recommend:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($222.75 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_RD 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($114.75 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 Low Profile Red 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($66.48 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial BX100 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($181.44 @ Adorama)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($51.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 290X 4GB PCS+ Video Card ($283.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($87.75 @ OutletPC)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($36.76 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Asus VS239H-P 23.0" Monitor ($157.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1433.76
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-08 23:15 EDT-0400

I saved $166 for the following reasons:

1. The Phanteks is a better CPU cooler yet cheaper after rebate. Tom's Hardware's testing showed that the Phanteks was cooler by a few degrees at full load.
2. The Gigabyte motherboard should offer enough to suit your needs. It's definitely a capable motherboard that for the price will handle moderate overclocking.
3. Faster 1866MHz RAM for a lower price. Can't complain about that.
4. The Samsung 840 Evo cannot be recommended due to lingering performance issues that Samsung has not fully fixed. For reliability, decent performance, and good price, the Crucial BX100 500GB will do very well.
5. The GTX 970 having memory issues and the R9 290/290X having price cuts make the GTX 970 harder to recommend. The GTX 970 is still a great card for 1080p gaming, but going with the R9 290X will save a bit of money and still have comparable performance.
6. The EVGA Supernova B2 850 watt power supply is high quality yet cheaper. The 750 watt model received a very good review from Jonny Guru, and both models are manufactured by Super Flower, one of the best PSU makers there is.
7. Windows 8.1 is cheaper than Windows 8. Also, you don't really need a DVD drive nowadays.. you can also install Windows via USB drive using the official Microsoft tool and it will actually be faster. All you need is the Windows license key.

Another alternative would be to purchase a Windows license key from a reddit seller. Windows 7 and 8.1 licenses can be bought from reddit's microsoftsoftwareswap for $20 or less. These are most likely legitimate keys that are resold from educational programs like Technet or Dreamspark. However, you are dealing with a person instead of a retailer, and informal Windows keys sales are unapproved by Microsoft and probably breaking some licensing agreement to be clear, but it's not illegal. The risks involved are that the person could be selling you a fake or used key, or that Microsoft may deactivate your license and refuse to reactivate it, although it's somewhat unlikely. We've had people here using those keys without issues for a long time and others who say Microsoft deactivated their key after several months.

Anyway.. you have a lot of options. With $166 left (~$220 if you choose to buy a cheap Windows license key) you could spend that money on some further upgrades, or just pocket it.

hi folks! i'm gonna go back to the drawing board with my dream pc build

can anyone help me decide which Asus Motherboard to get? preferably the latest ones?

Asus ROG series motherboards to be exact...ones with 1150 socket...

finalflame

hi folks! i'm gonna go back to the drawing board with my dream pc build

can anyone help me decide which Asus Motherboard to get? preferably the latest ones?

Asus ROG series motherboards to be exact...ones with 1150 socket...

What particularly do you need in a motherboard? Looks? Color scheme? Features? Does a lot of USB ports matter? Ability to overclock? A ton of factors can go into that, it all depends on your time frame, budget, and desired features :)

Asus ROG mobos are pretty much red so that's a given :p yes usb ports are a plus i'm buying my parts one by one..got my k70 as a start
yes i am planning to overclock it but i am scared i might fuck it up ..there was an asus rog feature i think it was the maximus hero mobo that had the easy overclocking feature and all that
going full SSD and no HDD's 1TB and 500gb, and will go for the 980 as my gpu

I was looking at the Asus Maximus VII formula...the features are really cool but then i saw the reviews at newegg is kinda mixed ;_;
$4000k is the limit for me
i got my list on pcpartpicker already and i'm updating it now to change some stuff

RGM79

Asus ROG mobos are pretty much red so that's a given :p yes usb ports are a plus i'm buying my parts one by one..got my k70 as a start
yes i am planning to overclock it but i am scared i might fuck it up ..there was an asus rog feature i think it was the maximus hero mobo that had the easy overclocking feature and all that

I was looking at the Asus Maximus VII formula...the features are really cool but then i saw the reviews at newegg is kinda mixed ;_;
i got my list on pcpartpicker already and i'm updating it now to change some stuff

Why limit yourself to socket 1150 and Z97 when you could go socket 2011-v3 and X99 for better processors and DDR4 memory, and still have money left over?

Mind posting the pcpartpicker list? If you're building a high end PC I would go X99 personally.

finalflame

As others have said, with that kind of budget you should consider X99 and 5960X + DDR4. SLi 980s. That's a hefty budget you have, might as well maximize it.

After upgrading to a GTX 970, I'm a little disappointed in my performance. I didn't see as big of an fps bump as I thought I would. I'm really hoping the CPU upgrade that I'm getting in tomorrow will change that, but after all the research I've done I'm not too hopeful.

The Llama

After upgrading to a GTX 970, I'm a little disappointed in my performance. I didn't see as big of an fps bump as I thought I would. I'm really hoping the CPU upgrade that I'm getting in tomorrow will change that, but after all the research I've done I'm not too hopeful.

What CPU do you have and what did you upgrade from?

RedSwirl

So now I'm trying to get my PC's surround sound to work through an Astro Mixamp (the A30 system with the Astro headphones). It's supposed to be a 7.1 system (though it can't detect DTS).

As far as I can tell the sound I'm getting in-game is definitely different between when I turn the Mixamp's Dolby Digital button on or off. With it on, different sounds are more focused in specific directions than what I get with regular stereo headphones. All that tells me though is I'm getting 7 channels. It could be the same problem again where all those 7 channels are coming in through two speakers.

Maybe not though. When I had that issue on the actual surround sound system, what were probably the center speaker noises sounded very distant and barely audible. On the A30 headphones they're perfectly clear and sound like they're coming through a "center speaker."

I still can't reach any configuration settings for the optical out though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom