• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
Thanks to whoever pointed out the issue with underreported voltage on the ASRock Z77 boards. It didn't turn out to be a problem... yet. I was able to get my i5-3570K from the stock 3.4GHz to 4.4GHz with only a +0.005 base and +0.004 turbo voltage increase. My CPU temperature is the current bottleneck, and the 212 EVO isn't cutting it for pushing the overclock further.

Until I can afford a better cooling solution, it's time to tackle overclocking the 970...
For what it's worth, the Ivy processors have a "heatwall" where you hit a point and then temps skyrocket because the internal TIM between the actual die and the heatspreader sucks.

The Hyper 212 should actually get you all the way to that heatwall, and better coolers won't make a huge difference. The only option is to delid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwv_EsY07Wg
So I've just sent the minimum requirements for the rainbow six closed beta is a 670. I have a 660ti oc which probably matches a reference 670 anyway. However it'd obvious my card isn't gonna cut it much longer. So I can either wait to build a new pc, new processor, mobo, psu etc or I can just get a new graphics card to tide me over the next couple of years. The question is do my other parts cut it and if they do what card am I best going for. I have:

550W corsair psu
Z77 D3h mobo (no sli, only x fire)
3570k @4ghz

Other parts are irrelevant I reckon. So what would the people on GAF pair with that? I was thinking an nvidia card simply because it draws less power and my psu is on 550

Thanks in advance!!
A new proc upgrade would most likely not even be noticeable from your end. Definitely just get a new video card for now. 970/290/290X would all be good depending on which Corsair 550W you have.

lem0n

Since we're posting parts:

B91eB2Z.jpg

While getting parts is awesome, having some parts but not others is the worst. Alas the PC is built but my watercooling stuff won't be here until next week, so it using the stock intel HSF.

Niceeeeee :)

Waiting on shit does suck. I got tired of waiting for superbiiz to do anything, and they didn't even notify me that my SSD was out of stock, so I could have had my case, SSD and Windows 7 disc by now if I just ordered from NCIX US... Oh well, lesson learned!

Jomjom

Banned
Some leaks/rumors just surfaced regarding the 370 actually.

Contrary to previous rumors, 370 seems to be a brand new design, and not a refresh.
It might get released in April apparently, otherwise it has been assumed that the 300 series will launch during computex in june.

-source

The last piece I'm still missing is a GPU, should I wait for April or June?

I'm extremely price sensitive and really have no problem with waiting. I can build first and just use the onboard GPU of the i7 for a couple of months. With the release of the 300 series is it likely that the 290s will go down in price? Or will the 300 series provide more performance for the buck?

finalflame

Niceeeeee :)

Waiting on shit does suck. I got tired of waiting for superbiiz to do anything, and they didn't even notify me that my SSD was out of stock, so I could have had my case, SSD and Windows 7 disc by now if I just ordered from NCIX US... Oh well, lesson learned!

I know what you mean! NCIX was previously great about shipping my 780 Ti, though (last year). That's part of the reason I always go with Amazon and Newegg if the option is available. I have Amazon Prime, and Newegg is in City of Industrywhich is 4 hours away from me. Always get stuff next day from Newegg, and within 2 days from Amazon.

Watercooling, however, I buy from Performance-PCs, because their prices and service is awesome. It was the best when I lived in Florida, since they were 2 hours away from me, so my watercooling stuff arrived next day with cheap FedEx shipping. Now that I'm in california it's the opposite, and delivery time from them is a week. Oh well, good things come to those who wait!

KePoW

Banned
Quick question for GAF team --

My new system has been great and the Define R5 is an awesome case, but the back case fan is audible. I don't mean malfunctioning, it's definitely quieter than my old crappy case. But it's not totally silent, so I was looking into a Noctua replacement. I've never had a Noctua fan myself, just seen all the top reviews.

So how much "real-world" difference in noise would it make compared to the stock R5 fan? Price is not a factor, I don't mind paying if it's truly a big difference.

Thanks,

Cyriades

Just traded my 780 Ti's for two 970 in SLI

I got the Gigabyte 970 G1 Gaming. I feel the vram situation has been overblown a little... not that there isn't a problem but the card is a beast! Nvidia should cap the card at 3.5GB or with the DX12 supposedly being able to stack ram make it so that the slow 512mb wont be access before 7.5GB.

images.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Ultryx

Hoping to find someone here who knows a little about Chromebooks. I've been looking into getting a small laptop to carry with me at school for when I'm working on projects. I only have a gaming PC I've built at home and I'm fairly well-versed in the W8 environment. I know how Chromebooks work, but I want some input on the models here I've selected. My budget is $200-$250. It will be used for typing papers, presentations, watching YouTube, listening to music, typing notes, and running a few open tabs at once when doing research.

Seems as though most come with 2GB of RAM and some reviews suggest to upgrade to 4GB. I'm sure I could even do the upgrade myself, but would I be able to get away with what I want to do with the 2GB or should I just pay more for the 4GB model?

Also what's the difference between these CPUs in the different models? If I had to choose power or battery, I would want a little more power at the expense of battery life. My main thing is that I want the Chromebook to run smoothly. I'm not concerned with the storage size because I can always just toss in a 64GB SD card, if need be.

Any input on the manufacturers and build quality?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MHX6V88/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KD5SEPK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NJGRLUY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KD5RUN2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N99FV76/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

What would you recommend from these 5 models?

My new system has been great and the Define R5 is an awesome case, but the back case fan is audible. I don't mean malfunctioning, it's definitely quieter than my old crappy case. But it's not totally silent, so I was looking into a Noctua replacement. I've never had a Noctua fan myself, just seen all the top reviews.

So how much "real-world" difference in noise would it make compared to the stock R5 fan? Price is not a factor, I don't mind paying if it's truly a big difference.

Thanks,

You can run your exhaust pretty slow. If you're already running at low rpm's, the Noctua NF-F12 will run quieter than the Fractal fan. I have a Fractal Define Mini and swapped out the stock exhaust fan with this one for noise reasons.

Everytime I see someone with a hyper 212 I cry a little. Great cooler for the money, most infuriating mounting system possible though. I ended up having to take mine off to reseat it twice because I couldn't get it seated without having to readjust the position twenty times leaving airbubbles all over the cooling paste. Next time I will spend extra just to get a cooler with a less infuriating mounting bracket.

mkenyon

Banned
Hoping to find someone here who knows a little about Chromebooks.
Check out Laptop GAF. Not a lot of the part knowledge translates between desktops and laptops, so most folks in here are mostly clueless about these things.

Thanks,
At 1200ish RPMs, there's very very little difference between fans in terms of overall noise. At lower speed, what you'll notice are just different kinds of sound characteristics.

However, the fan you choose will likely push more air at lower speeds than the stock Fractal fans.
The last piece I'm still missing is a GPU, should I wait for April or June?

I'm extremely price sensitive and really have no problem with waiting. I can build first and just use the onboard GPU of the i7 for a couple of months. With the release of the 300 series is it likely that the 290s will go down in price? Or will the 300 series provide more performance for the buck?
Impossible to say for certain on anything.

What is now the 290/290X will be rebranded as the 380/380X (I think), and will probably be lower in price. Though they might not.

NoRéN

Everytime I see someone with a hyper 212 I cry a little. Great cooler for the money, most infuriating mounting system possible though. I ended up having to take mine off to reseat it twice because I couldn't get it seated without having to readjust the position twenty times leaving airbubbles all over the cooling paste. Next time I will spend extra just to get a cooler with a less infuriating mounting bracket.

No. I had an easy time with it so that means it's just fact that it's easy to install because that's how things work. :p

Seriously though, I agree that it can be a hassle. But, for around $30 the performance is well worth the headaches. Besides, easier install means spending quite a bit more and not everyone is into that.

Still amazes me how simple it is to install those giant noctua coolers.

KePoW

Banned
You can run your exhaust pretty slow. If you're already running at low rpm's, the Noctua NF-F12 will run quieter than the Fractal fan. I have a Fractal Define Mini and swapped out the stock exhaust fan with this one for noise reasons.

At 1200ish RPMs, there's very very little difference between fans in terms of overall noise. At lower speed, what you'll notice are just different kinds of sound characteristics.

However, the fan you choose will likely push more air at lower speeds than the stock Fractal fans.

Thanks a bunch for the feedback & details!

mkenyon

Banned
NoRéN;155708509 said:
That reminds me, I have a hyper 212 evo I can sell since I swapped my cpu cooler.
PM if interested.
Does this mean you've gotten around to overclocking!?

If not, I can walk you through the process sometime if you'd like.

NoRéN

Does this mean you've gotten around to overclocking!?

If not, I can walk you through the process sometime if you'd like.

no?

I'm scared. Don't know why but I am. Just afraid I'll screw something up.

But, if you are willing to lend the help, yeah. I'll definitely give it a shot!

SRG01

Any suggestions for a value-oriented nVidia card? I'm not looking for top of the line performance, but it shouldn't be low end.

The reason why I'm looking for a nVidia card specifically is because a lot of the rendering programs I use are starting to incorporate nVidia Iray which uses CUDA with no OpenCL support. People are recommending video cards with 2GB of VRAM or higher, but I am not familiar with nVidia cards to make a good purchase.

mkenyon

Banned
Can do through Mumble or just Steam chat if you have a secondary something-or-other available.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/michalius

I'll prolly have a little bit of time later on tonight, like 7-8ish PST. Doing a LAN this weekend, but should have all sorts of pockets of free time during that.
Any suggestions for a value-oriented nVidia card? I'm not looking for top of the line performance, but it shouldn't be low end.

The reason why I'm looking for a nVidia card specifically is because a lot of the rendering programs I use are starting to incorporate nVidia Iray which uses CUDA with no OpenCL support. People are recommending video cards with 2GB of VRAM or higher, but I am not familiar with nVidia cards to make a good purchase.
I'm not familiar with the Cuda power of the 750Ti, but that's their least expensive full fledged card.

kiyomi

Budget?

You could look for a used GTX 760 or something, but it depends on your budget.

finalflame

GTX 960 might be what you want: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487091

Seems to be the card to go with for mid-range.

RedSwirl

So is it impossible to achieve Dolby Surround or DTS for PC games with digital cables? Even with something like Astro's MixAmps?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Hey Mkenyon... I'm kinda sorta maybe starting to get the itch for a new build. X99/6 or 8 core/Titan X/DDR4.

Admittedly, probably not in the cards right now; besides, my current rig is still more than capable. But dat Titan X has me thirsty.

You usually have a great pulse on the case world. I thought the LD PC-V7 was really good; but I had a few qualms with it I discussed in the past. Looking for something a little less "boxy/appliance-esque" (so, unfortunately, no caselabs), and something a bit crazy/fun. Something like, say, the In-Win S-Frame; but with much better wire hiding.

Any suggestions, or case manufacturers im not familiar with to take a look at?

mkenyon

Banned
So pretty much everything super high end has that kind of boxy look. The only thing you can do is get custom powder to make it pop more. Some ideas that might work:

Standard CaseLabs SM8

SM8 w/ Custom Powder (pal's rig that I helped build)

Then there's Parvum Systems, but those are mATX and kind of space cramped. Would be great for a single Titan X, but two and you start pushing it on the radiator room. They're also a bit more difficult to plumb. But for mATX + single card, they're pretty snazzy, and completely customizable:

Then back to the more industrial look, you have some new designs from Lian Li:

Then there's Abee Cases, but they are Japan only, so you'd need to get someone (on GAF maybe) to buy and ship it to you. I've looked into this, and it's really fkn expensive. They're also not quite as robust in terms of supporting water cooling stuff.

From that point, you start getting into scratch builds, tech stations, or whole desk cases like the Red Harbinger.

Yeah, I think I put too much thermal paste on mine, but I'm dreading taking it off to reseat it because of how nerve-wracking it was to put on the first time. Gah.

coopolon

Building a PC for a friend. No gaming, he wanted a small form factor, as many parts as possible coming from Microcenter, and front facing USB 3.0 ports and a memory card reader.

I couldn't find any memory card readers in mini tower cases though, but everything else is covered I think. He alread has an SSD, will probably put in an HDD as well

Any problems/suggestions? The only thing not at Microcenter is the PSU, I couldn't find a reasonably priced modular PSU at MicroCenter although I guess he could go with a non-modular. No GPU now, but he may add one eventually but it would only be a low profile one that is there just to give more monitor ports.

Cooler Master N200 Mini Tower mATX Computer Case $44.99
Intel Core i5-4590 1150 - $159.99
ASRock H81M-HDS LGA 1150 mATX Intel Motherboard - $49.99 (Or the ASRock H97M which is $80 but has 6 SATA Ports)
Corsair CX Series 430 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Bronze ATX12V/EPS12V 384 Power Supply CX430M $47.99 (Amazon, only 4 sata ports)
Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) CL9 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit (Two 4GB Memory Modules) - $64.99
Cheap SATA Optical drive

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
So pretty much everything super high end has that kind of boxy look. The only thing you can do is get custom powder to make it pop more. Some ideas that might work:

Standard CaseLabs SM8

SM8 w/ Custom Powder (pal's rig that I helped build)

Then there's Parvum Systems, but those are mATX and kind of space cramped. Would be great for a single Titan X, but two and you start pushing it on the radiator room. They're also a bit more difficult to plumb. But for mATX + single card, they're pretty snazzy, and completely customizable:

Then back to the more industrial look, you have some new designs from Lian Li:

Then there's Abee Cases, but they are Japan only, so you'd need to get someone (on GAF maybe) to buy and ship it to you. I've looked into this, and it's really fkn expensive. They're also not quite as robust in terms of supporting water cooling stuff.

From that point, you start getting into scratch builds, tech stations, or whole desk cases like the Red Harbinger.

Hmm.... maybe I could do a crazy powder coating. There' a local shop about 45 minutes away I checked out a few years go. Looked like it would cost about $225 for any one color - but they had a huge variety of finishes. Maybe match to a perfect set of components.

I think I'm gonna dig through Lian-Li's cases. They have so many, I might be able to find something exciting.

Does the motherboard need a special I/O for those?

It plugs into one of the USB headers on the motherboard. The board you listed has 2 USB 2.0 headers, and you'll only need one for the front panel, so that should work perfectly. Looks like Micro Center has several of the internal card readers, so hopefully there's one in-store.

finalflame

Does the motherboard need a special I/O for those?

No, it seems like most of them just use one of the motherboard's USB2.0 headers.

I have a couple of points/feedback on the buid: does your fried need an i5? If not, it might be cheaper to go with an i3 or G3258, with great performance and no bottlenecks anywhere outside of gaming. In fact, if he's not gaming, there's a compelling argument to be made about just saving the cash and going with an AMD APU.

Further, is there a reason you went with mATX instead of mITX? ITX would save more space and be more compact, if small is what he's going for. There are plenty of tiny mITX cases suited for these needs that would be big enough to add a slim profile video card later.

Really, for a build like this there's no point spending the extra $ on Intel, unless he'll be doing media work or something, which I doubt is the case given the outlined requirements.

coopolon

No, it seems like most of them just use one of the motherboard's USB2.0 headers.

I have a couple of points/feedback on the buid: does your fried need an i5? If not, it might be cheaper to go with an i3 or G3258, with great performance and no bottlenecks anywhere outside of gaming. In fact, if he's not gaming, there's a compelling argument to be made about just saving the cash and going with an AMD APU.

Further, is there a reason you went with mATX instead of mITX? ITX would save more space and be more compact, if small is what he's going for. There are plenty of tiny mITX cases suited for these needs that would be big enough to add a slim profile video card later.

Really, for a build like this there's no point spending the extra $ on Intel, unless he'll be doing media work or something, which I doubt is the case given the outlined requirements.

I 100% agree re: i5 (and intel) being overboard, but he's convinced he wants an i5 and I can't talk him out of it.

mATX vs mITX: The PC isn't going to be squeezed into any tight spaces, he just didn't really want a bigger tower. I didn't pursue mITX because I assumed it would limit the parts we could use (probably making it harder to to shop at microcenter, I was especially thinking about psu which admittedly I'm not getting at microcenter) and it limited options for future expansion in terms of hard drives.

I'm taking a quick look at microcenter mITX now.

Edit: Well, I now realize most mITX cases can take full atx power supplies. But the motherboards do seem a little more expensive and I can't find any with an external 3.5inch bay which I now know he'll need for the card reader.

baphomet

Thanks a ton RGM79!

I'm super impatient and ended up buying a motherboard, case, PSU, and 2 of those 1tb drives as well as a 240gb ssd. I'm going to pretty much build out the rest of it as suggested except I'm going to go with the 970.

Thanks for the help!

LilJoka

Man, I didnt realize I could get all this performance extra out of my system. Overclocking is great!

becomes

Hunh, these temps aren't quite acceptable. Better turn up them fans to get better airflow.

becomes

Wow everything is pretty loud now. I wonder about aftermarket coolers...

becomes

Putting everything under water seems like a good way to go, at least I can carry forward the core parts to any system. Big initial investment for a long term payoff.

becomes

Though I love my system, it just looks so typical.

becomes

Welcome, friend.

Lol this is where i am.

Scum

Synology is a good brand for NAS hardware as far as I know, but if you're looking for a home file server on a budget, it's cheaper to build your own NAS from consumer PC parts and it'll be more expandable in the future to add extra hard drives. Even Windows 8.1 works reasonably well for home server duties, although there are free solutions like FreeNAS.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G3240 3.1GHz Dual-Core Processor (£41.93 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard (£95.94 @ Aria PC)
Memory: G.Skill Value 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£73.01 @ Dabs)
Storage: Toshiba 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£72.97 @ CCL Computers)
Case: Fractal Design Node 304 (White) Mini ITX Tower Case (£54.99 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£50.95 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £608.70
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-12 01:08 GMT+0000

Those parts are already overkill for a NAS, a weaker processor and less RAM would work fine and cost even less. The Toshiba drives are a cheaper choice, go with WD Reds if you want.

That said, it is easier to pick up a NAS device than to make one yourself, but if you don't mind some guided DIY work and spending a day or two and saving some money, it's an option.

Cheers for this. Thanks.

RGM79

Thanks a ton RGM79!

I'm super impatient and ended up buying a motherboard, case, PSU, and 2 of those 1tb drives as well as a 240gb ssd. I'm going to pretty much build out the rest of it as suggested except I'm going to go with the 970.

Thanks for the help!

No problem. Why two 1TB drives, though? A single 2TB drive is cheaper.

Why do people advise against WD Greens?

Excessive head parking resulting in performance issues. Here's two articles that talk about the feature and differences in detail.

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/hacking-wd-greens-and-reds-with-wdidle3-exe.18171/

http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Western-Digital-Green-vs-Red-Hard-Drives-602/

Fracas

#fuckonami
I installed the Xonar DGX sound card, and got it working - anyway to enable it for everything, not just headphones? Maybe I'm dumb and it already is set up that way, but it seems when I have my tower hooked up to a tv via HDMI (through my GPU's port) it still uses onboard sound rather than the aftermarket card (I've disabled onboard in the BIOS though so I dunno). It works perfectly through headphones though, I can tell the difference.

It feels good to install something totally on my own. Love PC building/maintenance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom