• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiyomi

thanks!

there's a big price difference between a 280 and a 280x tho, about 100usd (computer parts are really expensive here), so it's kind of out of my reach

would the 960 be better? those two are the most expensive i can afford short of buying something used

i don't mind waiting but i don't know what i would be waiting for? or how long?

We don't know exactly when the new AMDs are coming but in the next few months, it looks like. Going used is an option but might be tricky if you live somewhere where things are just expensive.

No this is just gaming, no editing.

I tend to go a while between upgrading. My last build was an E8400 with 4GB which made sense at the time. Would an extra 4GB now be helping me? Would it make sense to go for the overkill at 16GB now instead of 8GB, to 'future-proof' a bit?

No such thing as future proofing. I don't know what the rest of your build looks like but the money for 16GB might be better spent somewhere else, like a better GPU/CPU. Go for 16GB if you have the budget. Games aren't using the full 8GB yet, to my knowledge, they're using like 5-6GB. But we don't know what things will be like in 1, 2 years.

Sent in my XFX 6850 video card to get RMAd about a month ago, just got a response from them and they're sending me a newer card, a R7 265.

Is that any better?

The 265 is a rebadged 7850, so yeah. I have a 265 and it overclocks really really nicely, basically performs like a 270X. Not saying yours will, but there should be some room to OC.

Thanks! I've read that there has been few returns in that MSI card (just bad luck?). Any info about Gigabyte G1, good/bad?
That is a good one also. And regarding the MSI i think it's just bad luck. You really can't go wrong with Gigabyte, MSI, Asus, probably Evga too. So just choose whatever suits your wallet most.

Not looking to build my new computer until later this year, probably around black Friday time. Is DDR4 RAM going to make a noticeable difference in performance?

Are we expecting a new line of cards from Nvidia this year? Not too keen on jumping into the 970 after everything thats going on.

Palehorse

No such thing as future proofing. I don't know what the rest of your build looks like but the money for 16GB might be better spent somewhere else, like a better GPU/CPU. Go for 16GB if you have the budget. Games aren't using the full 8GB yet, to my knowledge, they're using like 5-6GB. But we don't know what things will be like in 1, 2 years.
Haha I know future proofing is a myth. I was more looking for easy hanging fruit now, to avoid a later mandatory upgrade that would cost me more to do than now.

As we're on the cusp of a memory revolution going from DDR3 to 4, finding an extra 8GB of RAM to upgrade my build in a couple years might be pretty hard.

But given that games for PC tend to cut close to what the spec of consoles are rather than push for the absolute top, we probably won't see a requirement for more than 8GB any time soon.

The list of parts I sent didn't include what I'm keeping from my current machine, which is 2 HDDs and a 128GB SSD, and a GTX 650 OC. I will upgrade that video card soonish, but am just doing mobo/cpu/ram now.

zkylon

zkylewd
We don't know exactly when the new AMDs are coming but in the next few months, it looks like. Going used is an option but might be tricky if you live somewhere where things are just expensive.
hmm, i see

do you think the 280 will be enough to last me for a while? i'm not looking for like maxing out games but mostly just running them at a nice framerate even if i have to go to like medium or so quality. i'm the kind of person that doesn't go too deep into custom settings or whatever

something like running the witcher 3 at medium?

cos i'm not sure if i can wait a few months :p

drotahorror

Maybe not the right place but I was wondering if someone could help me with an autohotkey script?

I want ctrl+ alt+ a - to be mapped to * on the numpad.

Thanks if anyone can help me. This autohotkey seems foreign to me.

mkenyon

Banned
Is a 256GB Samsung 850 pro for $130 a good price? I think I might just finally upgrade my ssd.
If you feel the extra life out of that compared to an MX100 warrants the $30, yes.

But, it's not likely you'll ever see the end state of an MX100 unless you're doing some demanding database work or some such thing.

Ryde3

Saw your previous post, hope your decision was to keep the 970 because it seems to beat the 290x in many benchmarks, and keep higher frames more consistently from other Youtube comparisons I've watched.

Also, see you at the game tomorrow, brah.

leonardo_dicaprio_laughing_wolf_of_wall_street_19tlonv-19tloo5.jpg

Thank you for your input good sir, I did infact keep the 970 and it runs like a dream.

-How about them 4th quarter seats?

Fred Fredriksson

Unconfirmed Member
please kind people of the gaf, i need your help!

this is my rig:
i5-3540
asrock z77 pro3
gigabyte hd7870 windforce
8gb ram
2x Samsung 830 256gb ssd
focusrite scarlett 2i2

to get the smoothness i feel comfortable with, the average settings for my games start to decline to high or even medium in 1080p, i would like to delay this as long as possible.

what would be the component to upgrade first? i'm thinking about a gtx 970? would this be stupid in regards to the cpu?
thanks!

mkenyon

Banned

this is my rig:
i5-3540
asrock z77 pro3
8gb ram
2x Samsung 830 256gb ssd
focusrite scarlett 2i2

to get the smoothness i feel comfortable with, the average settings for my games start to decline to high or even medium in 1080p, i would like to delay this as long as possible.

what would be the component to upgrade first? i'm thinking about a gtx 970? would this be stupid in regards to the cpu?
thanks!
Video card first, then think about scoring a used 3570K. Then overclock said 3570K.

Is there a GPU on the market with full compliance for direct x 12? I recall reading of a few hardware specific features that not even gtx 900 series support but I could be wrong.

Not sure if this is the right place but my girlfriend is looking at getting some speakers for her new PC. I currently have the Swan M50W 2.1 speaker set and they seem to be pretty good.

Is there anything else around the same price that you guys would recommend?

Thanks!

theRizzle

Anyone build in a Silverstone Raven RVZ01? Would you recommend it? Any weird hiccups?

I've been looking long at hard at this case 'cause I want to build something in a smaller form factor (like a Steam Box, but not one of those Gamecube looking cases... I hate those).

I love that there seems to be adequate cooling and that it can fit a full-sized dual slot GPU. If anyone knows of a similar case out there I'd love to hear about it.

mkenyon

Banned
Anyone build in a Silverstone Raven RVZ01? Would you recommend it? Any weird hiccups?

I've been looking long at hard at this case 'cause I want to build something in a smaller form factor (like a Steam Box, but not one of those Gamecube looking cases... I hate those).

I love that there seems to be adequate cooling and that it can fit a full-sized dual slot GPU. If anyone knows of a similar case out there I'd love to hear about it.
Yes yes and no.

As for other cases, there's Lian Li's new one:

o7s-main1.jpg

o5-main1.jpg

Is RAM ever gonna come down in price?
As they slow down DDR3 production and ramp up DDR4 production, it'll actually go up in price.

KePoW

Banned

this is my rig:
i5-3540
asrock z77 pro3
8gb ram
2x Samsung 830 256gb ssd
focusrite scarlett 2i2

thanks!

definitely the GPU, the rest of your system looks fine for now

970 is awesome and I totally think the 3.5gb vram limit is overblown. Most games will not use more than that, and quite frankly there's really no difference in texture quality between Ultra and Very High / High

Alright same question I keep jumping back and forth on...

I keep almost purchasing the Evo 212, but every review states how difficult it is to install, and in multiple reviews experiences builders have recommended first timers to stay away or find assistance which I won't have.

I will ask this then, are there any aftermarket coolers that areuch simpler to install that offer similar performance to the 212 even if they ride near the 100$ line?

Sorry don't want to mess up the PC I just got, but want it to run cool and possibly OC once o have it for a bit and would rather do the tinkering hardware wise now.

kiyomi

I keep almost purchasing the Evo 212, but every review states how difficult it is to install, and in multiple reviews experiences builders have recommended first timers to stay away or find assistance which I won't have.

I will ask this then, are there any aftermarket coolers that areuch simpler to install that offer similar performance to the 212 even if they ride near the 100$ line?

Sorry don't want to mess up the PC I just got, but want it to run cool and possibly OC once o have it for a bit and would rather do the tinkering hardware wise now.

I've heard good things about be quiet!'s line of CPU coolers in terms of their installation, but I've never used one myself. Take a look at a bunch of different coolers and look them up on YouTube, you might be able to get an idea of how the installation for each of them works and go from there.

SarBear

So, I just got my MSI GTX 980 and set everything up. I have connected the display port cable and I'm not getting any image on my display (Acer xb270h). I'm unsure if the issue is drivers......but if that's the case I have no idea how to solve it.

I have:

Msi x99s sli plus
Acer display port
Msi 980

Everything is on, I can tell from things spinning and lighting up. However just can't get image to display. Any suggestions??

Reckoner

Is it really that difficult to install? I got it on my first build and also changed board and everything recently and it was pretty smooth sailling.

KePoW

Banned
So, I just got my MSI GTX 980 and set everything up. I have connected the display port cable and I'm not getting any image on my display (Acer xb270h). I'm unsure if the issue is drivers......but if that's the case I have no idea how to solve it.

I have:

Msi x99s sli plus
Acer display port
Msi 980

Everything is on, I can tell from things spinning and lighting up. However just can't get image to display. Any suggestions??

A lot of 980s have initial issues with DP connections. Do this --

Connect with DVI and install the newest official driver from Nvidia's website. Fully reboot once into Windows to make sure it's working. Then shut down and switch back to DP. Should work now... if not, try a different DP connection. (I assume the MSI has at least two)

mm04

Just watch a Youtube video of an installation. I just built a new PC a few weeks ago and it included an Evo 212. Not a big deal.

theRizzle

Yes yes and no.

As for other cases, there's Lian Li's new one: (snip)

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! That looks amazing. Exactly what I was looking for... thanks!

I can't find them on sale anywhere even though the review I just looked at was 3 months old. Guess they haven't actually been released yet? I don't care that they are expensive. I want one. I am coming off a build in a Level 10 GT (love the look but the case has horrible build quality for a $300 case) so something nice and small is perfect for me.

SarBear

A lot of 980s have initial issues with DP connections. Do this --

Connect with DVI and install the newest official driver from Nvidia's website. Fully reboot once into Windows to make sure it's working. Then shut down and switch back to DP. Should work now... if not, try a different DP connection. (I assume the MSI has at least two)

UPDATE:

So I've disassembled the whole build, reassembled it with just basic stuff (ram, cooler, card) and even with the bare essentials I STILL cannot get my MSI 980 to display to my Acer XB270H monitor via displayport. I've tried all three displayports and the VGA to another monitor i had lying around. The monitor itself turns on and splash displays, but states no signal right after.

I have no clue how to solve this issue. Any help?

If you feel the extra life out of that compared to an MX100 warrants the $30, yes.

But, it's not likely you'll ever see the end state of an MX100 unless you're doing some demanding database work or some such thing.

It's only $25 difference currently so I just went with the samsung. Some people online were saying they give you software to just transfer your drive? Is that true?

NoRéN

Are closed-loop water coolers easier to install than the high-end complicated air coolers?

I recently switched from a Hyper 212 evo to a Corsair AIO H60.

Definitely found it much easier to install. The preapplied thermal paste helped. The most difficult part would have to be holding the radiator and fan to install to the back of the case and that was much easier compared to the 212.

From what I've seen in youtube videos about the noctuas, despite their size they seem remarkably easy to install compared to the hyper 212.

Of course, you are always going to get answers to like "no, the 212 was easy to install because it was not difficult for me". I find that argument easy to apply to just about anything. "Learning to drive stick is easy because I learned in a day", etc.

My suggestion is to look up some videos on the installs of these different coolers and factor that in with cost and performance and see what strikes your fancy.

mkenyon

Banned

Look at a Youtube video of the installation. It really isn't that difficult. What makes it difficult are the really vague and crappy included instructions. It's like reading how to build legos with steps poorly translated and illustrated.

Noctuas are definitely easier to install though. Prolimatechs are easy as well.
Are closed-loop water coolers easier to install than the high-end complicated air coolers?
Eh, kinda. Sometimes. Usually not though just because there's more parts. They're easier to wrap your brain around, but they're harder physically to carry out. Mostly because lining up a fan and radiator to the right screw hole is a PITA if you don't know the tricks.
Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! That looks amazing. Exactly what I was looking for... thanks!

I can't find them on sale anywhere even though the review I just looked at was 3 months old. Guess they haven't actually been released yet? I don't care that they are expensive. I want one. I am coming off a build in a Level 10 GT (love the look but the case has horrible build quality for a $300 case) so something nice and small is perfect for me.
Usually FrozenCPU and PerformancePCs gets the cases in a bit sooner than Newegg, at least for Lian Li. Sometimes NCIX is ahead of them as well.

They launch products in Oceania and China first, and NA/EU is just always a bit behind in receiving their stuff.
It's only $25 difference currently so I just went with the samsung. Some people online were saying they give you software to just transfer your drive? Is that true?
Depends on the SKU. Some do, some don't.

Look at a Youtube video of the installation. It really isn't that difficult. What makes it difficult are the really vague and crappy included instructions. It's like reading how to build legos with steps poorly translated and illustrated.

Noctuas are definitely easier to install though. Prolimatechs are easy as well.

Are there any Noctuas with performance similar to the 212?

mkenyon

Banned
Probably. Most of their stuff is more high end though. I'm honestly a bit out of date on all the new models.

The reason the 212 is included as the "go to" option is that it is by far and away the best performance for the $. Beyond that, 95%+ of people that would leverage the use of an aftermarket cooler and overclock are going to be well served by it, and would not benefit by spending any more money.

mkenyon

Banned
Holy crap. For my fellow SFF lovers, look at this!

http://anandtech.com/show/9081/asrock-to-debut-mini-itx-haswell-e-at-cebit-x99e-itx-ac-with-usb-3-1

I always love to see interesting deviations to the norm when it comes to motherboards, and something such as a mini-ITX based extreme system has been at the top of my list for many years. We never saw a mini-ITX X79 system (the nearest was an extended mini-ITX from Shuttle) but now ASRock has gone head first into the X99 plus mini-ITX arena, showing their first model at CeBIT later this month.

The reason for mini-ITX on the extreme platform is usually for density, though there are a couple of compromises that have to be made. The socket is large, and supporting quad channel memory can be a challenge with SATA ports and 40 PCIe lanes in tow. As a result, ASRock’s X99E-ITX/ac only uses dual channel memory, and we get a single PCIe 3.0 x16 slot for add-in cards.

mkenyon

Banned
How do I make my waterloo fit the socket?
You just use the other mounting pins. They're short and stubby on one side, and that's because they screw into the physical socket. You can see the little holes on the outside. Other than than, mounting is exactly the same.
Hey gaf, quick question, would an evga supernova 750 g2 PSU be enough for 980gtx sli?
If you have a consumer socket processor (1150/1155), yes.

theRizzle

Holy crap. For my fellow SFF lovers, look at this!

I was looking at the ASUS ROG mini-ITX mobo since I cannot stand onboard audio. I don't know if it has gotten better in the last few years but my experience with it has been horrible. I know there is a Gigabyte mini-ITX motherboard with good onboard sound but it didn't support M.2 if I recall correctly, so I think that pretty well only leaves the ROG board. I figure if you are going to go SFF, might has well hop on the M.2 as well.

It seems to me that something like this would be better served as a mini server or something?

mkenyon

Banned
I was looking at the ASUS ROG mini-ITX mobo since I cannot stand onboard audio. I don't know if it has gotten better in the last few years but my experience with it has been horrible. I know there is a Gigabyte mini-ITX motherboard with good onboard sound but it didn't support M.2 if I recall correctly, so I think that pretty well only leaves the ROG board. I figure if you are going to go SFF, might has well hop on the M.2 as well.

It seems to me that something like this would be better served as a mini server or something?
Get an external DAC

The sound issue has been my main gripe as well. I use a Soundblaster ZxR, so I'm stuck on mATX for the forseeable future. The Impact supposedly has pretty good sound, they even have a tiny discrete card that plugs into the motherboard. I use pretty high end cans that need a good amount of power to really drive them, so it's not an option for me. For most folks though, it's better than what you'd find on most full sized boards.

Willectro

Banned
Noctua's are easy to install, IIRC.

Very easy, depending on the model you select. Some of them are quite large and may have issues with non low profile ram though.

Probably. Most of their stuff is more high end though. I'm honestly a bit out of date on all the new models.

The reason the 212 is included as the "go to" option is that it is by far and away the best performance for the $. Beyond that, 95%+ of people that would leverage the use of an aftermarket cooler and overclock are going to be well served by it, and would not benefit by spending any more money.

This exactly. The NH-D15 is one of the best CPU coolers on the market, sealed retail liquid coolers included. It is, however, overkill and overpriced for most builds (mine included). As I mentioned above, it can be a tough fit depending on your setup. Also, the colors are unlikely to match anything else in your build, if that's important. Noctua makes great cpu coolers and fans, but the price vs. performance is tough to justify.

And my little upgrade is finally done. Wish the evga cables weren't red, and more flexible, but it's my fault for getting the small case. Next time I open her up will be for skylake.

Nice build. Probably obvious, but what case is that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom