• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

TxdoHawk

What amd card do you have? How do you know it's the card that's causing the BSODs? Is it still under warranty?

The BSOD references the ATI driver. Originally I thought it was just a driver issue, but none of the proposed fixes I've found helped, and the BSODs are getting more frequent which makes me think there's probably just something wrong with the card. It's an HD 7800 and years old now, so well out of warranty.

Anyway, a 960 is a safe bet... but if you're planning on upgrading again later this year or early next year it seems like maybe a bit of a waste. How much gpu power do you need for your games?

Not a whole lot. I run 1080p monitors and have no problems turning down things like AA to get decent frame rates, and most of my gaming is not demanding (I currently play TF2, Smite, and a lot of smaller indie games).

The two big games this year that I will probably have some degree of issues with are GTA5 and Arkham Knight, but again, between running at 1080p and a willingness to turn down post-processing, I can usually get even demanding games running smooth.

Any card I get now would just get slotted into the new system, barring some crazy new incompatible standard coming out or something.

Zero Hero

I got sick of the fan noise and some instability with the heatsink that came with the FX-8350.
I replaced it with Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO. At full load, it hasn't gone higher than 47C and is barely audible. I wish I upgraded months ago.

I have a really old case. I had to take off the fan on the side to get it to close. It's taller than my GPU.
Z6V6qIR.jpg

KePoW

Banned
Hey i have a MSI 970 of my own so its not like its a bad card, its a very good value for money card.

But even on your link, all the doubt is on future games, and its my view that SLI 970 will suffer the greatest compared to the single 970 as soon as more memory taxing games arrive which actually require all 4GB of VRAM at 1440p or less, not simply allocating 4GB of VRAM. Most games today are allocating up to 3584MB of VRAM

Doesn't this mostly depend on the Texture Quality setting you choose?

My stance is that Ultra setting is a waste and unnecessary. I would say in 95% of games I've tested, there is hardly any visible difference between Ultra and High/Very High. You don't have to play games on Ultra texture setting when you're not even going to notice a difference in motion

Also you don't mean to say that games will require 4gb even at lowest settings? I cannot imagine devs making that a requirement, there will still be tons of mass gamers who have 2gb cards

LilJoka

Doesn't this mostly depend on the Texture Quality setting you choose?

My stance is that Ultra setting is a waste and unnecessary. I would say in 95% of games I've tested, there is hardly any visible difference between Ultra and High/Very High. You don't have to play games on Ultra texture setting when you're not even going to notice a difference in motion

Also you don't mean to say that games will require 4gb even at lowest settings? I cannot imagine devs making that a requirement, there will still be tons of mass gamers who have 2gb cards

Yes i was assuming Ultra settings but at lower resolutions in the future.

KePoW

Banned
Yes i was assuming Ultra settings but at lower resolutions in the future.

Ok got it

I just don't understand those people who absolutely insist on Ultra, when there's hardly any visible difference in motion. Even in still shots for a lot of games there is no difference

Ok got it

I just don't understand those people who absolutely insist on Ultra, when there's hardly any visible difference in motion. Even in still shots for a lot of games there is no difference

I tried to find an article that compared high vs ultra in a variety of games, couldn't really find one. Actually, when websites do benchmarks do they normally use ultra settings?

I have no problem with dialing some settings back to keep the framerate high.

KePoW

Banned
I tried to find an article that compared high vs ultra in a variety of games, couldn't really find one

geforce.com does really great comparison articles with slide shots (but only for games partnered with Nvidia)

Vast majority of games show hardly any difference between Ultra and High/Very High. And for a lot of games there is literally no difference

Eiolon

My brother is looking for a system for MMORPG's, mainly Tera Online, WoW and ESO.

Your Current Specs: None

Budget: $900 (includes tax/ship) USA

Main Use: Gaming

Monitor Resolution: 1080p

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Tera Online, WoW and ESO at max settings.

When will you build?: 1-2 weeks

Will you be overclocking?: No

jgwhiteus

I posted in the GTX 960 thread about this, but I saw the 4GB 960 models are finally becoming available; EVGA is releasing one for around $240/$250:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487128

I only game on a single 1080p monitor. I tried a 970 before but it seemed like overkill for my needs and budget (around $200). I was seriously considering getting a 2GB 960, but was holding back because I didn't think 2GB would be particularly "future-proof" and the price seemed a bit ambitious. Paying $40 more for 4GB seems reasonable, even though I'd still prefer some sort of discount or promo.

What would you recommend if I don't foresee going above 1080p?
- a 960 2GB at $200
- a 960 4GB at $240
- a 970 4GB at $330

lem0n

Waiting on those last parts is a nightmare. I have everything but SSD, Case, and a physical copy of Windows... I ordered last Friday, it sat around until late last night on the tracking site, just now started moving. Probably will get here Thursday... I hate thisssssssssssss :(

kennah

NoRéN;156311833 said:
I got a 212 Evo sitting in my closet. What happened to the liquid cooled build. man?
I can't afford it/waiting to see what June brings. In the meantime I picked up a Xeon for cheap and am going to put that in.

KePoW

Banned
NoRéN;156314134 said:
I hear ya. But, here in L.A. I never seem to find deals. But it has led me to be able to sell stuff at a good price on Craigslist.

have u ever had a problem being burgled with craiglist??

NoRéN

have u ever had a problem being burgled with craiglist??

No. Couple of shady looking people in the past. But I never give out my number, only accept bills no larger than 20, and always meet at a Target, in the daytime, that has a Chase ATM in case they try to pull the "oh, I only have hundreds" or "aww man, I didn't have time to go to the bank to take out cash". And I never go alone.

I've noticed that if I run a game on one monitor and stream something on the other, then my 570 makes a lot of noise. I figure it's about time I upgraded my video card. What's the best bang for your buck card in Canada? I only really game at 1080p and don't need to run everything at max settings, but it would be nice to have a card that lasts awhile.

DoT2

Hey guys I recently built a pc on ncix and had them build it for me. I think my temps are a little high for what I have, but im sure they tested that. Right now my idle temp ranges from 35-40 degrees and at 100% load it hits 75-82 degrees. I would say ambient temp is around 20 degrees. Is this too high for my setup? The case is running the stock fan setup. Should I add more case fans? Thanks guys.

Asus maximus hero vii
4790k no oc
noctua nh-d15
r5 define case

Enosh

finally got my new PC, would just like to thank everyone here with helping out
they didn't have the antec case in stock anymore that they wanted to include at the beginning so got some LC power one, a bit more expensive apparently but they matched the price of the old one, so that's great, but it has a red led fan, which is a bit annoying given that it's close to my bed and I sometimes don't turn it off when downloading stuff overnight, looks much better through imo and the fan seems to be less bright than the 3 random lights on my old shit case, it also only has a front fan, I think I'll cannibalize one back fan from my mothers pc (she's getting my old one when they fix the graphics card) but it's kinda old so idk about any compatibilities issues
plus got a dvd burner for some reason even through it wasn't in the original configuration, so free dvd burner I guess ^^

didn't get to do much gaming on it yet sadly, been working the whole day and now spend my time copying over music and getting my system just right with all the programs and stuff I need
but god I missed the ability to have more than 5 tabs open without the whole thing being almost unusable, my laptop is god awful

so thanks again for all the help with answering my questions, see you all again in some 2-3 years for a gpu upgrade and some 5-6 years for a new pc ^^

ricki42

Hey guys I recently built a pc on ncix and had them build it for me. I think my temps are a little high for what I have, but im sure they tested that. Right now my idle temp ranges from 35-40 degrees and at 100% load it hits 75-82 degrees. I would say ambient temp is around 20 degrees. Is this too high for my setup? The case is running the stock fan setup. Should I add more case fans? Thanks guys.

Asus maximus hero vii
4790k no oc
noctua nh-d15
r5 define case

The idle temps seem a bit high. Have you checked what the core voltage is? If the motherboard is running an older BIOS, the applied voltages may be a somewhat high for Devil's Canyon. Check the BIOS version.

DoT2

The idle temps seem a bit high. Have you checked what the core voltage is? If the motherboard is running an older BIOS, the applied voltages may be a somewhat high for Devil's Canyon. Check the BIOS version.

Around what voltage range should I be looking at? Also should I be looking at both idle and load voltages? (Can't check bios right now, currently at work)

Also, you mentioned idle temps being high, does that mean load temps are looking normal?

i5-2500K @ 4.0ghz
GTX 970

Just wanted to throw a question to you guys. I'm running Dying Light maxed out with adaptive vsync, so solid 60fps. I noticed my GPU usage is at about 65% and each of my CPU cores is at about 50%. Is that normal when capping frames generally?

I know lower GPU usage can me CPU bottleneck, but my cores are not being stressed. I'm thinking its normal but just figured I'd ask you guys since I trust ya'll.

RGM79

My brother is looking for a system for MMORPG's, mainly Tera Online, WoW and ESO.

Your Current Specs: None

Budget: $900 (includes tax/ship) USA

Main Use: Gaming

Monitor Resolution: 1080p

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Tera Online, WoW and ESO at max settings.

When will you build?: 1-2 weeks

Will you be overclocking?: No

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($222.75 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-E ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($104.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($51.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 290 4GB PCS+ Video Card ($263.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair Graphite Series 230T Black ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $852.56
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-17 16:25 EDT-0400

This comes in at about $850. As I understand it in the US, sales tax isn't calculated on online orders unless you're in a certain state? No idea where you are in the US. If it's still less than $900 after taxes are calculated, you could look at getting a somewhat better air cooler, case, larger hard drive, etc.

If you live near a Microcenter, they have processors for lower outright prices and have excellent processor and motherboard bundles for a lower price than elsewhere. The only downside is that the lower prices are only available in-store.

I posted in the GTX 960 thread about this, but I saw the 4GB 960 models are finally becoming available; EVGA is releasing one for around $240/$250:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487128

I only game on a single 1080p monitor. I tried a 970 before but it seemed like overkill for my needs and budget (around $200). I was seriously considering getting a 2GB 960, but was holding back because I didn't think 2GB would be particularly "future-proof" and the price seemed a bit ambitious. Paying $40 more for 4GB seems reasonable, even though I'd still prefer some sort of discount or promo.

What would you recommend if I don't foresee going above 1080p?
- a 960 2GB at $200
- a 960 4GB at $240
- a 970 4GB at $330

Currently, 4GB of VRAM isn't necessary for 1080p even at highest settings for any game. That said the GTX 960 isn't that great in terms of performance, the R9 280X 3GB is a stronger performing graphics card in the same price range as the GTX 960 2GB/4GB. The R9 280X on average would be ~15% faster although the GTX 960 can match the R9 280X in a few specific games, and being a newer card would benefit more from future driver updates.

Occasionally an R9 290 4GB model will drop to less than $250 (like this Sapphire model) and that would be your best bet for performance. IIRC the R9 290 is around 30~40% faster than the GTX 960 and has 4GB of VRAM, and will do 60FPS at high-to-max settings for the latest games.

I'll be buying a new PC for a change. Originally I was gonna buy a Wii U and some games but then I realized I really have my hands full with PS4+PC+Vita so might as well just upgrade the hardware. Core build is as follows:

Old setup: Intel Core 2 Quad 9550 @ 2.83ghz, Radeon HD 4890 1GB, 4GB RAM

New setup: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4ghz, GTX 970, 8GB RAM

I'll be doing 1080p gaming so I won't go balls out on the video card. I know about the ''memory gate'' of 970 or whatever but a quick glance shows that it's still one of the better cards for that price. I have no idea about processors nowdays but I can get a decent deal on 4790 and it seems like a good choice so why not.

I'm just wondering if there are any obvious better choises for those I have missed. And supposedly there isn't too much point going for 16 gigs of RAM? I mostly just game and have the browser on the backround without any heavy programs running. Also I suppose I don't need to invest in a SSD drive if I'm not really bothered about startup speed and all that? Not gonna do any overclocking.

I don't really have a solid budget. Probably like 1000€ or something. Components are a bit more expensive here in Finland tho.

edit: oh, one more thing. I guess 970 won't be able to support all upcoming DirectX 12 boons?

Foxix Von

So, the 660ti in my system is starting to fail under load, or just... whenever it feels like.

I need some help deciding which card to get next. I'm basically torn between a GTX 970 or a r9 290x. I can't seem to reliably find much information on which is better, then again I'm reaaaally new to this whole PC gaming thing.

I keep finding different comparisons showing that the 970 outperforms the 290x in some situations and vice versa. I was hoping someone could boil it down for me. From what I can tell it looks like the 970 is much better at running games at 1920x1080 but if I wanted to delve into any kind of supersampling it looks like the performance quickly drops on the 970 but holds steady on the 290x?

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
NoRéN;156314134 said:
I guess I'll be keeping an eye out once the new stuff rolls out, see if I can score me some of them Smokey upgrade casualties. :)

I hear ya. But, here in L.A. I never seem to find deals. But it has led me to be able to sell stuff at a good price on Craigslist.

NoRéN;156325975 said:
No. Couple of shady looking people in the past. But I never give out my number, only accept bills no larger than 20, and always meet at a Target, in the daytime, that has a Chase ATM in case they try to pull the "oh, I only have hundreds" or "aww man, I didn't have time to go to the bank to take out cash". And I never go alone.

you always have me friend :D

RGM79

I've noticed that if I run a game on one monitor and stream something on the other, then my 570 makes a lot of noise. I figure it's about time I upgraded my video card. What's the best bang for your buck card in Canada? I only really game at 1080p and don't need to run everything at max settings, but it would be nice to have a card that lasts awhile.

Depends on how much you want to spend.

At the $230 range there's the GTX 960 and R9 280, they should represent a decent performance increase. I'd actually go for the GTX 960, seeing as it's newer. Directcanada has the EVGA GTX 960 FTW model for $225 which isn't bad, it's one of the higher end GTX 960 models there are.

The R9 285 is $250+ which is not a good price considering it's more or less on par with the GTX 960, and the R9 280X are $275+ which is $50 more for a slight performance increase over the GTX 960 and R9 280 which isn't worth it at all.

Occasionally an R9 290 will drop to around $280 like this Gigabyte R9 290. Currently $310 after rebate, but the price tracker says it's dropped repeatedly to $280 in the past, most recently in December and January, although I wonder if they were clearing out stock or something.

So, the 660ti in my system is starting to fail under load, or just... whenever it feels like.

I need some help deciding which card to get next. I'm basically torn between a GTX 970 or a r9 290x. I can't seem to reliably find much information on which is better, then again I'm reaaaally new to this whole PC gaming thing.

I keep finding different comparisons showing that the 970 outperforms the 290x in some situations and vice versa. I was hoping someone could boil it down for me. From what I can tell it looks like the 970 is much better at running games at 1920x1080 but if I wanted to delve into any kind of supersampling it looks like the performance quickly drops on the 970 but holds steady on the 290x?

They're kinda close, the difference can come down to game optimization and drivers. They aren't so different in performance than you could say that one card would be definitely better than the other at stock settings, but I think the GTX 970 overclocks better and so it can pull ahead. It'll be more power efficient that then R9 290X and run a bit cooler, at the very least.

What are your current specs?

Cyriades

At 4K UHD, or any memory-bandwidth limited scenarios, you could be looking at a net loss of performance moving to 970 from 780 Tis. Weird decision imo. For anyone else considering this, I would advise against it.

780 Ti currently has no replacement in Nvidia's line up. Titan X will release in a few hours and later in the year the 780 Ti replacement will launch with ~35% improvement at ~$700.

I advise you to do your research.

Yes, 780 Ti is overall more powerful than a 970 but in most games 780 ti beats the 970 by single digits... they trade blows more often than not. A lot of 970s come with factory overclocks that would beat the 780 ti out right.

The question is why would someone trade a 780 Ti for 970? Well in my case I wanted HDMI 2.0, full DX12 support and MFAA. Along side a more silent rig that comes with less power draw.

ricki42

Around what voltage range should I be looking at? Also should I be looking at both idle and load voltages? (Can't check bios right now, currently at work)

Also, you mentioned idle temps being high, does that mean load temps are looking normal?

Around 1.2 V is a good starting point for Vcore. Check the BIOS version, version 0609 added 'Enhance compatibility for new Anniversary Edition and Devil's Canyon CPU.'.
Load temps depend on the load, I get insane temperatures when running prime95, but in game I rarely get over 70 C, and that's oc'd to (I think) 4.5 GHz (same processor and cooler on ASUS Z97-A).

^ I'm still kind of blown away by the value of the 2500k. I've had mine for going on 4 years and it's still a fantastic CPU for gaming (when OC'd). I don't foresee replacing it for at least another year and a half, either.

Foxix Von

They're kinda close, the difference can come down to game optimization and drivers. They aren't so different in performance than you could say that one card would be definitely better than the other at stock settings, but I think the GTX 970 overclocks better and so it can pull ahead. It'll be more power efficient that then R9 290X and run a bit cooler, at the very least.

What are your current specs?

660ti
ASrock Z87 extreme 4
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB
Rosewill Capstone 750-M

Basically bought it off of craigslist prebuilt as the owner was looking to downsize as this thing is ENORMOUS. I can literally ride the thing like a horse. I'm just having to turn it into a bit of a project now as it needed wifi, it was INSANELY dusty on the inside, I get frequent BSODs from the GPU, etc. I needed a new PC as my gaming laptop... well the damned nvidia card in that thing ALSO started to fail. It seemed like a great deal as it came bundled with a mechanical cherry KB, a g700 mouse, speakers and a monitor. Which is great since, not owning a PC before this I had none of those things. It just ended up being a bit more than I bargained for, lol.

RGM79

660ti
ASrock Z87 extreme 4
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB
Rosewill Capstone 750-M

Basically bought it off of craigslist prebuilt as the owner was looking to downsize as this thing is ENORMOUS. I can literally ride the thing like a horse. I'm just having to turn it into a bit of a project now as it needed wifi, it was INSANELY dusty on the inside, I get frequent BSODs from the GPU, etc. I needed a new PC as my gaming laptop... well the damned nvidia card in that thing ALSO started to fail. It seemed like a great deal as it came bundled with a mechanical cherry KB, a g700 mouse, speakers and a monitor. Which is great since, not owning a PC before this I had none of those things. It just ended up being a bit more than I bargained for, lol.
Everything but the graphics card seems fine. The 660 Ti was probably a holdover from an older PC he had.

Foxix Von

Everything but the graphics card seems fine. The 660 Ti was probably a holdover from an older PC he had.

No kidding XD

I just can't seem to make up my mind about which way to go with a new GPU... Is the upgrade path on either of those better than the other? Like, say in another year or two I wanted to throw in another 970, or 290x. Do either of those perform better together, or would I even be able to power 2 290x in crossfire off a 750 w PSU without upgrading?

And I still need to buy another HDD. It's got a 128gb SSD to boot off of and a TB drive for larger files but I really want to get a 500gb 850 EVO to toss in there just for games.

DoT2

Around 1.2 V is a good starting point for Vcore. Check the BIOS version, version 0609 added 'Enhance compatibility for new Anniversary Edition and Devil's Canyon CPU.'.
Load temps depend on the load, I get insane temperatures when running prime95, but in game I rarely get over 70 C, and that's oc'd to (I think) 4.5 GHz (same processor and cooler on ASUS Z97-A).

Bios is up to date, it was definitely the auto voltage issue, set my voltage to 1.150v and its running stable. Temps are not going above 70 full load so I guess thats pretty good? Thanks for the help man.

I've been sitting on $350 in credit from the 970 fiasco and I'm leaning towards an r9 290x 8gb at this point rather than waiting for Pascal or AMD 300 series. Should last me a good many years I think.

RGM79

No kidding XD

I just can't seem to make up my mind about which way to go with a new GPU... Is the upgrade path on either of those better than the other? Like, say in another year or two I wanted to throw in another 970, or 290x. Do either of those perform better together, or would I even be able to power 2 290x in crossfire off a 750 w PSU without upgrading?

And I still need to buy another HDD. It's got a 128gb SSD to boot off of and a TB drive for larger files but I really want to get a 500gb 850 EVO to toss in there just for games.
A single R9 290X draws around 275~300 watts by itself, so even though 850 watts is recommended for crossfiring two R9 290X cards, it may be possible to run it on that 750 watt PSU if you're not overclocking, but you'd be cutting it quite close. The Rosewill Capstone line is actually manufactured by Seasonic so it's a fairly good quality power supply.

That said, it's hard to recommend crossfire or SLI unless you have absolutely no choice or the games you play definitely support multiple GPUs. Not all games support it and scaling varies by the game, some games see more of a performance increase and others don't.

It's almost always better to get a single stronger graphics card, it's more reliable and less demanding on the power supply. Unless you're doing something like 4K gaming at high settings, which even the strongest graphics cards (GTX 980) aren't quite good enough so there's no choice but to run two cards.

RGM79

I've been sitting on $350 in credit from the 970 fiasco and I'm leaning towards an r9 290x 8gb at this point rather than waiting for Pascal or AMD 300 series. Should last me a good many years I think.

Well, 8GB currently only makes sense for 4K and crossfire. What resolution are you playing at?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Legit shook

Just like me

NoRéN;156314134 said:
I guess I'll be keeping an eye out once the new stuff rolls out, see if I can score me some of them Smokey upgrade casualties. :)

The H110iGT gets my full seal of approval but the case has to support the 280mm rad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom