• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

LilJoka

Not only that, look at the graphics score, 20K vs 16K, clearly cpu limited. I bet that in firestrike ultra his score will be alot better than mine.

Have you overclocked your GPU though? 970 gets about 12000 in GPU score i think at stock, so 19k with SLI seems about right where the scaling isnt totally 100%. Maybe some bottleneck but probably not huge.

Monitor GPU usage of both GPUs to get a better idea.

Devildoll

Okay guys the gpu is now installed.

Here's what I have done so far.
http://meowch.at/i/blsoFEvpIDYll

Right now I tried plugging in the hdmi and it says no signal.

you still have your cpu pins twisted in the wrong direction, if you mount your cpu, and then twist it wrong, it is fucked, and you have to remount the whole thing to ensure that you have proper pressure.
and remounting means that you need to go to the store and get new thermal paste.

what happens when you hit the power button? does any fan spin etc etc?

JMTHEFOX

you still have your cpu pins twisted in the wrong direction, if you mount your cpu, and then twist it wrong, it is fucked, and you have to remount the whole thing to ensure that you have proper pressure.
and remounting means that you need to go to the store and get new thermal paste.

what happens when you hit the power button? does any fan spin etc etc?

Yikes, I need to tell my mom about this.

When I press the power button, the chassis fan, the gpu fan and the country fan spins.

What is the consequence of using too small of a power supply in a PC? Would anything be damaged or would it just not turn on/not work?

I'm not planning anything where this would be relevant, just curious.

I've been in school for 4 years and I work full time, so I have had no time to keep up with my hobby. I'm about to graduate and will be getting myself a present. Guide me to PC bliss once more GAF.

Some overclock. Unreal Tournament is my main driver right now.

I will most likely be sticking to 1080p output and I would like some kind of upgrade path in the future. Max budget would be ~$1500. Any remaining cash will be spent towards a monitor but for right now I am OK with my TV. Thanks very much.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ygkvCJ

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($224.99 @ SuperBiiz)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ NCIX US)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($163.98 @ Newegg)

Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($123.99 @ Amazon)

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($186.99 @ Amazon)

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($349.99 @ NCIX US)

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)

Power Supply: Cooler Master VSM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($100.98 @ Newegg)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($91.71 @ NCIX US)

Total: $1372.60

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($114.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($44.99 @ Best Buy)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 290X 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($292.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($78.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Micro Center)
Total: $1148.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-19 18:44 EDT-0400

My changes:

Cheaper mobo, for comparable quality and features.
Cheaper, faster RAM.
Additional 1TB storage.
290x instead of 970, cheaper for comparable performance, even faster in many cases. You can get the 970 if you want, still a very good choice.
Cheaper case, but this should be chosen according to your desire.
Cheaper PSU but more than enough for your build.
You can get a OS key from Reddit for cheaper, but that is your choice.

Devildoll

Yikes, I need to tell my mom about this.

When I press the power button, the chassis fan, the gpu fan and the country fan spins.

well that's good.

where did you plug the hdmi cable into,the motherboard or the graphics card?
You should plug it into the graphics card.

do you have a dvi cable to try with instead?

Edit: the 2nd ram stick looks like it might not be in all the way.
Could you get some picture of how everything is connected atm? powercables etc.

JMTHEFOX

well that's good.

where did you plug the hdmi cable into,the motherboard or the graphics card?
You should plug it into the graphics card.

do you have a dvi cable to try with instead?

Edit: the 2nd ram stick looks like it might not be in all the way.
Could you get some picture of how everything is connected atm? powercables etc.

I tried plugging it in and it still says no signal.

I don't own an dvi cable, sorry.

Here's how everything is connected.
http://meowch.at/i/z94UqGnw6Skh
http://meowch.at/i/rbQzbLIbBdAz

LilJoka

I tried plugging it in and it still says no signal.

I don't own an dvi cable, sorry.

Here's how everything is connected.
http://meowch.at/i/z94UqGnw6Skh
http://meowch.at/i/rbQzbLIbBdAz

That 24 PIN ATX cable doesnt look fully plugged in. There should be no gap between the plug and the socket. Just make sure everything is securely plugged in.

Also it looks like you forgot the power cable to the Hard Disk too.

Whatever display cable you are using, make sure its plugged into the back of the GPU not the motherboard.

3 of the 4 CPU cooler push pins are twisted the wrong way, turn them all clockwise!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Turn the CPU heatsink pins so the lines point to the center and push them hard into the mobo until they click.

Also make sure the cpufan is plugged into the CPU_fan port on the motherboard.

Go through the second post of the thread it has a troubleshooting guide.

JMTHEFOX

That 24 PIN ATX cable doesnt look fully plugged in. There should be no gap between the plug and the socket. Just make sure everything is securely plugged in.

Also it looks like you forgot the power cable to the Hard Disk too.

Whatever display cable you are using, make sure its plugged into the back of the GPU not the motherboard.

3 of the 4 CPU cooler push pins are twisted the wrong way, turn them all clockwise!
That's strange, the 24 pin atx cable seems plugged in to me.

What does the power cable for the hdd looks like?

Cool now I don't have to plug in the hdmi to the motherboard.

Okay, I just turned them clockwise and made sure they are clockwise.

no maam

Banned
That's strange, the 24 pin atx cable seems plugged in to me.

What does the power cable for the hdd looks like?

Cool now I don't have to plug in the hdmi to the motherboard.

Okay, I just turned them clockwise and made sure they are clockwise.
Make sure you plugged in all the right cables, and they're all secure. Definetly make sure the Gpu is seated all the way in. you got power to the fans so that's a good sign. Take out the Gpu and re-seat it. You're almost there buddy!

Cyriades

My 3Dmark score!

11080856_787475031345323_5963549869217277687_o.jpg

You are clearly cpu limited. Is your cpu overclocked? I get almost 14k with a single 980(overclocked).

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/4090184

No, I did raised turbo to 4.2ghz

4.5ghz overclock

410995692.jpg

Celcius

°Temp. member
What is the consequence of using too small of a power supply in a PC? Would anything be damaged or would it just not turn on/not work?

I'm not planning anything where this would be relevant, just curious.

Your pc may boot up fine and let you surf the web, but then when you go to do something demanding like play a game or run a benchmark, your pc tries to draw more power and your power supply shuts down as a safety measure. (turning off your pc suddenly and without warning)

Devildoll

How much do I need to stay up with two 970s?

You probably have a lot higher gpu sub score, it's just that Cyen's physics score is likely almost twice yours cause of the i7 5820 he's running, which is why he gets such high total with one 980.
I'm not sure how the difference would look in games.

RGM79

I havent built a PC in a lifetime, anyone care to offer some any remarks on this build:

For Dedicated Gaming, Media consumption, etc. For gaming, looking for 1440p performance, 4K down the line with possibility to upgrade to SLI later. Quality components are important, my ideal budget is ~$2500, Im right under that atm.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/46KJ23

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage:Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X 12GB Video Card
Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 1050W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer

Total: $2281.69

Any thoughts? Anything overkill, not enough, just right? The CPU and Motherboard is what I'm most unsure of...

I'll expand on Liljoka's recommendations.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor ($394.98 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI X99S SLI Plus ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($161.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($209.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial BX100 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($183.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X 12GB Video Card ($999.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case ($119.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: Rosewill 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $2205.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-19 20:33 EDT-0400

That 5820K is the next step up for high end i7 processors. Going to the newer X99 platform means DDR4 and somewhat better future-proofing in that you won't be stuck with DDR3 years down the line when you want to upgrade and add more RAM (not that you'll likely need more than 16GB).

The Phanteks PH-TC14PE ($60~70) is a very good cooler that's been selling for cheaper recently, Xbit Labs' cooler testing shows that it performs right next to the NH-D14 and the improved NH-D15 models of Noctua coolers which tend to cost a bit more. It also comes in a variety of colors, if you don't care about color coordination then the red, blue, and white versions of the cooler are $10 cheaper at $60.

That Samsung 850 Evo is selling for quite a great price, it's even cheaper than the Crucial BX100 500GB ($184). Some of us have concerns that the 850 Evo's TLC NAND will be susceptible to the same performance problems that plagued the 840 Evo which still haven't been entirely fixed, so if you want something that is probably more reliable, I'd recommend the BX100.

That power supply is grossly overpriced. For 1000 watts, I'd recommend the Rosewill Capstone 1000 watt gold rated semi-modular power supply ($100 after $30 rebate). Rosewill doesn't make their own power supplies, the Capstone line is actually manufactured by Super Flower, one of the two best power supply makers there are. It shows in this good review by Jonny Guru. If you want a newer model, then for $20 more there's this EVGA Supernova GS 1050 watt gold rated fully modular model ($120 after $30 rebate). That model is built by Seasonic, the other great power supply manufacturer, which received an even higher rating from Jonny Guru.

Do you really need the DVD drive? USB drives and digital distribution have pretty much made DVD drives useless unless you still need to read/write DVDs for your own purposes.

The motherboard, CPU cooler, and RAM come in a black color theme which matches the GTX Titan X, I guess. That said, if you don't mind saving some money with non-matching colors, you could save $40 or so with a different color Phanteks air cooler and G.Skill RAM that matches the Corsair RAM's speed.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor ($394.98 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI X99S SLI Plus ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($161.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial BX100 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($183.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X 12GB Video Card ($999.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case ($119.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: Rosewill 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $2175.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-19 20:41 EDT-0400

RGM79

Apologies if this has been asked, I'm on mobile and can't find a way to search this thread.

For a 500 GB SSD, is there any reason to stick with the MX100 over the new MX200? I'm quite tired of having to constantly shuffle games on my current 128 GB drive.

MX100 drives are a bit cheaper if you're looking to scrimp and save as much as you can. In terms of performance, you probably wouldn't notice the difference between the MX100 and MX200 in daily use.

I've been in school for 4 years and I work full time, so I have had no time to keep up with my hobby. I'm about to graduate and will be getting myself a present. Guide me to PC bliss once more GAF.

Some overclock. Unreal Tournament is my main driver right now.

I will most likely be sticking to 1080p output and I would like some kind of upgrade path in the future. Max budget would be ~$1500. Any remaining cash will be spent towards a monitor but for right now I am OK with my TV. Thanks very much.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ygkvCJ

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($163.98 @ Newegg)

Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($123.99 @ Amazon)

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($349.99 @ NCIX US)

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)

Power Supply: Cooler Master VSM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($100.98 @ Newegg)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($91.71 @ NCIX US)

Total: $1372.60

I guess you're also going for a dark color scheme? There are still ways to save money.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($136.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 290 4GB DirectCU II Video Card ($259.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($96.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1158.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-19 21:15 EDT-0400

The Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H-BK ($137) should be more than enough to meet your needs, it also has a black color scheme. The only differences between it and the more expensive UD5H are different slot layout, lack of a second LAN port (unnecessary), two RAID controller ports (probably unnecessary) and less robust power delivery for overclocking (UD3H 4 phase VS UD5H 6+2 phase). The UD3H is already able to overclock fairly well though, so it doesn't matter. You'd be paying more for the UD5H's unnecessary features.

That 16GB of 2400MHz G.Skill Sniper RAM ($105) is faster and cheaper, but taller. However, it shouldn't be too much of a problem with the cooler. I doubt you'll need more than 16GB of RAM in the future so you shouldn't need to fill up the other slots, and proper RAM placement dictates placing them in the 2nd and 4th slots away from the CPU. If there are any issues with space, you can just move the fan on the heatsink a little higher.

That's a good price for the 850 Evo, but just in case you want an alternative, there's the Crucial BX100 500GB ($184). It remains to be seen if the 850 Evo'S TLC NAND is free of the 840 Evo's TLC NAND performance issues.

You are aware of the GTX 970's VRAM issues, right? It's still a great card for 1080p gaming, but the VRAM possibly not being up to the task in the future and the AMD pricecuts on the R9 290/290X make AMD easier to recommend over the GTX 970, they're much cheaper while offering similar ballpark performance. If you don't mind getting the R9 290 instead, there's the Asus R9 290 DirectCUII ($260 after $30 rebate) which comes in mostly black with red accents. If you still prefer the GTX 970, then go with this EVGA SSC model ($330 after $10 rebate) instead, it's very new and has a lot of nice features that make it slightly better than the Gigabyte G1 Gaming like a semi-fanless mode, twin BIOS, and a more compact size that doesn't sacrifice performance.

The Phanteks Enthoo Pro is a great case, but sorta too large for most people who will never fill up all the expansion slots and bays. I'd recommend something cheaper yet still high quality like the Corsair 300R ($60), still roomy but still well designed and built while costing less.

There are better quality power supplies that have more capacity and cost much less than $100. The EVGA Supernova B2 750 watt or 850 watt model are manufactured by Super Flower, and have excellent performance, build quality, and reviews.

If you want to save money on Windows.. Windows 8.1 licenses can be bought from reddit's microsoftsoftwareswap for $20 or less. These are most likely legitimate keys that are resold from educational programs like Technet or Dreamspark. However, you are dealing with a person instead of a retailer, and informal Windows keys sales are unapproved by Microsoft and probably breaking some licensing agreement to be clear, but it's not illegal. The risks involved are that the person could be selling you a fake or used key, or that Microsoft may deactivate your license and refuse to reactivate it, although it's somewhat unlikely. We've had people here using those keys without issues for a long time and others who say Microsoft deactivated their key after several months.

All in all, with my recommendations, you're looking at no drop in performance with $200 saved. You could pocket the difference or consider spending more elsewhere. Is just the SSD alright, or will you also need hard drives?

Dead

well not really...yet
Wow, awesome, and informative. Exactly the type of info I was looking for :bow

Going between 5820 or sticking with 4790 was one of my biggest struggles. I have to admit, the reviews for that MSI board are a little concerning though. I would prefer not to go with an entry level board, but it seems after that one, the prices jump up pretty significantly....Am I being paranoid, or if I were to go the X99 route, it would be better to spend the extra cash and go for the better board?

As far as CD drive, it would be purely for ripping music at this point. But yeah, there are some really nice looking cases that dont have drive bays that are very enticing. I guess this is still something im wrestling with as a final decision.

Also, this is most likely a dumb question, but with all that, I would still need to buy a Wireless card for wifi?

Hey guys, I'm in need of a new computer as my current one is beginning to fail miserably on me. I'm thinking I may start from scratch and use this current machine as a secondary PC.

Current Specs:
  • CPU - AMD Phenom II X3 720 (OC @ ~3.5 GHz)
  • RAM - 8 GB G.SKILL DDR2-1066
  • Mobo - GIGABYTE GA-MA770-UD3
  • GPU - ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB
  • PSU - Antec EarthWatts 430W
  • Case - Antec 900 v2 Midtower
  • HDD - Have plenty of storage HDDs, bought some SSDs already
Budget: Trying to stick in an $800-$1000 USD range. Willing to be flexible and go higher if it's worth it (or if the budget won't fit my needs).

Main Use:
  • Gaming - 5
  • Emulation - 3
  • Video Editing - 3
  • Streaming - 5
  • Model Work - 1
  • General Usage - 3 (Programming & Work)
Monitor Resolution: Multiple monitors @ 1920 x 1200, 1080p. No plans to upgrade at the moment.

Specifics: Not really picky about performance. 60 FPS preferred, but perfectly fine with 30 FPS @ max or high settings. Don't really care about PhysX, super sampling, CUDA. Would like to be able to play a game at decent FPS and settings as well as stream it (most likely at 30 FPS @ 720p for the forseeable future).

Reuse Parts: HDDs will get reused. Still contemplating on keeping my Antec 900; I'm tempted to get something quieter.

Deadline: ASAP. Current computer is nearly out of commission.

Overclocking: Yes.

baphomet

Arghhh, can't wait until Saturday!

I should have everything minus the CPU cooler tomorrow, and once I put the 970 and ram in there I'm going to want to boot this thing up so bad. Unfortunately, I'm just going to wait until I'm totally done before I bother doing wire management and booting her up.

I do have a question though.

I got an i5 4690k, and I'm going to overclock it right away. Is there a nice guide to doing this?

Thanks!

McBryBry

So, my build has been running pretty solid since my motherboard RMA came in at the beginning of February. So thank you guys for inspiring me to do it and helping me the whole way. But a few questions!

1) I think I'm gonna be ready to dive into overclocking soon. 4690k and MSI GTX 970. What are the typical steps for overclocking these? I've started to look into the CPU some, but everyone mentions an XMP profile and I don't see that anywhere in my MSI Gaming 5's BIOS.

2) How often do you guys upgrade? I know I'll be waiting quite a while, but I'm still curious.

RGM79

Wow, awesome, and informative. Exactly the type of info I was looking for :bow

Going between 5820 or sticking with 4790 was one of my biggest struggles. I have to admit, the reviews for that MSI board are a little concerning though. I would prefer not to go with an entry level board, but it seems after that one, the prices jump up pretty significantly....Am I being paranoid, or if I were to go the X99 route, it would be better to spend the extra cash and go for the better board?

As far as CD drive, it would be purely for ripping music at this point. But yeah, there are some really nice looking cases that dont have drive bays that are very enticing. I guess this is still something im wrestling with as a final decision.

Also, this is most likely a dumb question, but with all that, I would still need to buy a Wireless card for wifi?

The Amazon reviews for the X99S SLI Plus are largely positive, though. Still, I can recommend some alternatives, if you're looking for motherboards with good user reviews.

The ASRock X99 Extreme4 is $183 after rebate and reviews look nice. It's also bundled with a free mouse if you care. It's nothing special in terms of feature set, but it gets the job done. Above that would be the MSI X99 Gaming 7, it is $230 at Amazon but won't be in stock for another 2 days. It is in stock at Newegg for $247 and is bundled with Far Cry 4, though.

If you want to save some money to make up for the more expensive motherboard, you could go with a cheaper case. Corsair, NZXT, etc have nice options at a lower price range. DVD drives are cheap, but if you can skip it, it's another ~$15 saved.

Hey guys, I'm in need of a new computer as my current one is beginning to fail miserably on me. I'm thinking I may start from scratch and use this current machine as a secondary PC.

Current Specs:
  • CPU - AMD Phenom II X3 720 (OC @ ~3.5 GHz)
  • RAM - 8 GB G.SKILL DDR2-1066
  • Mobo - GIGABYTE GA-MA770-UD3
  • GPU - ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB
  • PSU - Antec EarthWatts 430W
  • Case - Antec 900 v2 Midtower
  • HDD - Have plenty of storage HDDs, bought some SSDs already
Budget: Trying to stick in an $800-$1000 USD range. Willing to be flexible and go higher if it's worth it (or if the budget won't fit my needs).

Main Use:
  • Gaming - 5
  • Emulation - 3
  • Video Editing - 3
  • Streaming - 5
  • Model Work - 1
  • General Usage - 3 (Programming & Work)
Monitor Resolution: Multiple monitors @ 1920 x 1200, 1080p. No plans to upgrade at the moment.

Specifics: Not really picky about performance. 60 FPS preferred, but perfectly fine with 30 FPS @ max or high settings. Don't really care about PhysX, super sampling, CUDA. Would like to be able to play a game at decent FPS and settings as well as stream it (most likely at 30 FPS @ 720p for the forseeable future).

Reuse Parts: HDDs will get reused. Still contemplating on keeping my Antec 900; I'm tempted to get something quieter.

Deadline: ASAP. Current computer is nearly out of commission.

Overclocking: Yes.

Yeah, there's not much you can reuse from your current build. If you do keep your Antec 900 case, you could spend more on a larger SSD or something.

Motherboard: Asus Z97-E ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($109.00 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Silicon Power Xpower 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($62.39 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($99.00 @ Adorama)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 290X 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($292.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $943.32
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-20 00:04 EDT-0400

There's room left in the budget to move up to 16GB RAM or a GTX 970 or something.

Arghhh, can't wait until Saturday!

I should have everything minus the CPU cooler tomorrow, and once I put the 970 and ram in there I'm going to want to boot this thing up so bad. Unfortunately, I'm just going to wait until I'm totally done before I bother doing wire management and booting her up.

I do have a question though.

I got an i5 4690k, and I'm going to overclock it right away. Is there a nice guide to doing this?

Thanks!

So, my build has been running pretty solid since my motherboard RMA came in at the beginning of February. So thank you guys for inspiring me to do it and helping me the whole way. But a few questions!

1) I think I'm gonna be ready to dive into overclocking soon. 4690k and MSI GTX 970. What are the typical steps for overclocking these? I've started to look into the CPU some, but everyone mentions an XMP profile and I don't see that anywhere in my MSI Gaming 5's BIOS.

2) How often do you guys upgrade? I know I'll be waiting quite a while, but I'm still curious.

Overclock.net Devil's Canyon's owners thread and the Overclock.net GTX 970 owner's thread

Lots of overclocking information there.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
OMG GUYS, I DID IT

My very first PC build, and it started up first time. Holy shit, im in shock.

11067491_101528186041dzb6l.jpg

Awesome, man! Congratulations and welcome to the club!

What are your specs? What's the first game you're gonna try?

lem0n

Thank you everyone! I thought the damn thing was sideways. UGH.. i wasnt sure though. what all do you guys recommend me doing? Reseating it facing the rear fan?

my thinking was it would pull the hot air up and the rear fan would pull it out. am i just an idiot lol?

Edit: first game will be probably Skyrim or Hotline 2.

Thank you everyone! I thought the damn thing was sideways. UGH.. i wasnt sure though. what all do you guys recommend me doing? Reseating it facing the rear fan?

my thinking was it would pull the hot air up and the rear fan would pull it out. am i just an idiot lol?

Edit: first game will be probably Skyrim or Hotline 2.

Usually the fan blows through the heatsink towards the back exhaust fan.

lem0n

Usually the fan blows through the heatsink towards the back exhaust fan.

Oh damnit. So as far as adjusting it tomorrow, whats the best way? Just undo those 4 screws, rotate it? Or take it all off, clean the processor and heatsink, and reapply paste?

Oh damnit. So as far as adjusting it tomorrow, whats the best way? Just undo those 4 screws, rotate it? Or take it all off, clean the processor and heatsink, and reapply paste?

I'd do the later, but I'm crazy like that. Use coffee filters and 90 percent or better Isopropyl alcohol to take off the thermal paste. Don't beat yourself up over it, I made a lot of small mistakes my first time. You get better and faster after the first time. I could probably build my PC in less than an hour when it took me like all night my first time.

smurfx

get some go again
i figure you guys might know so here it goes. what is the best sub 100 dollar router out there? i might go to 150 but i would prefer it being 100 or less.

MetalDeer

I'd do the later, but I'm crazy like that. Use coffee filters and 90 percent or better Isopropyl alcohol to take off the thermal paste. Don't beat yourself up over it, I made a lot of small mistakes my first time. You get better and faster after the first time. I could probably build my PC in less than an hour when it took me like all night my first time.

Do you really need to re-apply thermal paste if you're just adjusting the heatsink? Serious question. I installed a heatsink on my friend's computer this week, and we had to remove it to adjust the bracket. The temps were great, so I imagine it's not really necessary.

The Llama

Do you really need to re-apply thermal paste if you're just adjusting the heatsink? Serious question. I installed a heatsink on my friend's computer this week, and we had to remove it to adjust the bracket. The temps were great, so I imagine it's not really necessary.

Any time you remove the heatsink at all you should, yeah.

Like I said, I'm crazy like that. Most of the site's I've read recommend cleaning it off and reapplying. There's also people who build their computers on carpets and say things turned out "perfectly fine". Doesn't mean you should do it.

AHHH okay so I was going to wait until September to build my PC but my friend just linked me to this:

http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellShocker.aspx?cm_sp=Homepage_SS-_-P1_2253154-_-03192015

This seems like a pretty good deal. I'd get a GTX 750Ti graphics card, a 1TB HDD, case+PSU. Is that a decent build? I'm looking for a decent ~$500ish PC.

Did you mean to link a full system? The link you provided leads to a $50 graphics card that no one in this thread would really recommend.

Dead

well not really...yet
I think I'm gonna calm down, and get a GTX 980 for now, and hold off on the Titan, brings my total down to $2000.

And, looks like I can buy nearly every part I need from Microcenter.

Is there a reason I should buy an EVGA GTX 980 vs an MSI or Asus, as the latter two are in stock, but the EVGA isn't (though Frys has it for $50 more)

MetalDeer

Like I said, I'm crazy like that. Most of the site's I've read recommend cleaning it off and reapplying. There's also people who build their computers on carpets and say things turned out "perfectly fine". Doesn't mean you should do it.

Any time you remove the heatsink at all you should, yeah.

That sounds like a lot of work.. I'll do some benchmarks next time I'm there, but his CPU was at like 28°C idle and 45°C at 50% load, so I think it should be fine.

finalflame

I think I'm gonna calm down, and get a GTX 980 for now, and hold off on the Titan, brings my total down to $2000.

And, looks like I can buy nearly every part I need from Microcenter.

Is there a reason I should buy an EVGA GTX 980 vs an MSI or Asus, as the latter two are in stock, but the EVGA isn't (though Frys has it for $50 more)

FYI, Fry's will price-match Amazon or Newegg if they have it in stock and you want the EVGA.

I think it's down to personal preference. I have an EVGA 980 SC and a FTW, and I like the ACX2.0 cooler on them. Plus the white LED "GEFORCE GTX 980" looks tight..

OWjDPDa.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom