• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devildoll

sigh. My recent problem. On games that give me coil whine (200fps +) I can hear it coming from the headphones as well. Shit sucks.

I had that on one of my previous soundcards, a Xonar STX.
It picked up noise from the line in, which i didn't use anyway.
So i just muted that in the windows recording devices tab and all coilwhine in my audio went away.

Smokey

***FLOOD OF PICS****

16857508111_981fca79ce_b.jpg

16651307517_bc27f1edeb_b.jpg

16858543775_ff70fa7428_b.jpg

16671157920_c1a74ce3d5_b.jpg

16651252097_024dbb22c6_b.jpg

16670959548_ce78f19de5_b.jpg

16672416309_b5fdf723d3_b.jpg

16857512111_e0e7703c17_b.jpg

16672626269_d5a4daa198_b.jpg

Stubo

Is there a 1080p line of this monitor?
If you're looking for 144Hz and G-sync at 1080p there are a few options I can see on one of my preferred stores.

BenQ XL2420G (24")
AOC G2460PG (24")
Acer XB270HA (27")

Unfortunately I've not looked in to any of these, but I'd expect they won't have the generally accepted quality and feature set of the swift. They are a fair chunk cheaper though of course!

Edit: Smokey those are beautiful. You're doing great work, don't listen to anyone who says otherwise.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Here I am sitting on my 670 after selling two 290s for pennies.

I still get 90FPS min in Dota team fights instead of 120 :(

I don't think I'll jump until I get a new monitor or a VR set.

KePoW

Banned
If you're looking for 144Hz and G-sync at 1080p there are a few options I can see on one of my preferred stores.

BenQ XL2420G (24")
AOC G2460PG (24")
Acer XB270HA (27")

Unfortunately I've not looked in to any of these, but I'd expect they won't have the generally accepted quality and feature set of the swift. They are a fair chunk cheaper though of course!

thanks for the details & links

Follow-up question -- If I have a system that cannot reach 144 fps at 1440p for most games, is it pointless to buy the ROG Swift?

I don't know much about GSYNC, so is it wasted if... for example I can only run games on average at 80 fps at 1440p?

LilJoka

Here's what I did so far.
http://meowch.at/i/fBHO7vUAOdFG

I need to screw the graphics card but the gpu doesn't have any space to screw.

Ok im taking a guess here but i seem to notice something id like you to check.
The CPU Cooler, the 4 arrows on the pushpins direct the direction they should be turned for the unlock position. The opposite direction for the lock position. Make sure they are all locked, ie turned clockwise.

install1155_DSCF3485.jpg

drotahorror

Having a mouse issue.

I leave my computer on 24/7 basically. Turned on my monitor and my mouse cursor was frozen. Happens sometimes after being idle for a while.

I unplugged the mouse, plugged it back in. Nothing. The mouse has power, but just won't do anything. It's an MX518 and I have this logitech gaming software installed (have several logitech products), and it won't even show up in there. I had an old razor mouse that I tried hooking up and it worked for a few seconds but stopped working promptly. It was faulty anyway and part of why I stopped using it.

I don't know what to do. I disabled this usb power management box that turns off your hubs after a while. I tried several different usb ports, powers on the mouse but nothing works, moving, clicking etc.

RIght now I'm using a logitech combo keyboard/mouse (track pad ) wireless apparatus and it's working fine.

Any help would be appreciated. Already ordered a new mouse but I wouldn't mind cancelling it if I can figure this out.

Reckoner

Is it safe to assume that the GTX 980 won't have Tier 3 Dx12?

Thinking on getting one and a Rog Swift. This wait is already making me think of alternatives.

Hattori

Banned
I been looking at the PC showoff thread, and something snapped inside me. I want to build a PC, I only have a modest budget as of right now but here are the preliminary parts I'm thinking of getting:

PC Build Plan

Corsair Air 540
WD Blue 1TB
Crucial 256GB SSD
EVGA GTX 960 4GB
EVGA 650W
Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600
EVGA Z97 FTW
i5 4690K
Corsair H100i

Anything I should add or take away? Any advice would be appreciated :)

Damerman

Anyone ever have a bad experience with open box motherboards from newegg?

I'm about to buy an asus z97i plus open box that just saw a discount... I really hope im not screwing myself over. I'm planing on keeping this build for anlong time?

Even if its open box, do i still have warranty with asus?

RGM79

I been looking at the PC showoff thread, and something snapped inside me. I want to build a PC, I only have a modest budget as of right now but here are the preliminary parts I'm thinking of getting:

Anything I should add or take away? Any advice would be appreciated :)

Country? Where are you buying parts?

SRG01

So, I serendipitously stumbled onto the solution of my problem: both the 750Ti and 960 are going to be released with 4GB variants this month (actually, there's already a 960 4GB being sold).

I might wait for the 960Ti since that should be released shortly. Whether it will have 4GB is another question altogether...

It's out of production and discontinued. There are better options than looking for a GTX 770 now.

Looking to upgrade? What's your budget?

I don't really have one but I'm not going to throw money away either. I was hoping to get another 770 for around 200 being that it's been out for awhile and SLI the too of them. My screen is the ROG SWIFT so I would like to push 120+ FPS in games like BF.

finalflame

I don't really have one but I'm not going to throw money away either. I was hoping to get another 770 for around 200 being that it's been out for awhile and SLI the too of them. My screen is the ROG SWIFT so I would like to push 120+ FPS in games like BF.

You're not going to push 120FPS on BF4 with 2x770s on a 1440p monitor unless you seriously sacrifice graphical quality.

RGM79

US, mostly Newegg

Do you prefer to buy from Newegg? If not, you could save money going elsewhere. Do you live near a Microcenter? They have lower priced CPU+motherboard bundles as well as CPUs for quite a bit less than other places sell at.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($224.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_RD 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($130.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($99.00 @ Adorama)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X OC Video Card ($243.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case ($125.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1054.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-19 00:58 EDT-0400

I'm going to assume that costs less than what you had. Generally better parts all around, should perform better.

The H100i doesn't perform quite as well as the Phanteks air cooler at normal fan speeds, only when fan speed is set to maximum which gets loud. There's also faster memory, a stronger graphics card (by up to 40% I think), and a newer, larger capacity EVGA power supply which I think is a better buy than the EVGA Supernova G1 you were probably looking at.

Odrion

Banned
So what's a balanced build for a Titan X? I want to utilize it to it's fullest potential, but I'm not going to waste money on empty bragging rights either.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
So what's a balanced build for a Titan X? I want to utilize it to it's fullest potential, but I'm not going to waste money on empty bragging rights either.

Any OC'd recent i5/i7 will allow you to utilize the Titan X to its full potential; pair with 16GBs of RAM and a quality SSD.

More importantly is your monitor. The Titan X is overkill for 1080p/60Hz.

JMTHEFOX

Doesn't have any space to screw? Is it not aligning with the screw hole properly?
No it's not, the gpu is new btw.

Ok im taking a guess here but i seem to notice something id like you to check.
The CPU Cooler, the 4 arrows on the pushpins direct the direction they should be turned for the unlock position. The opposite direction for the lock position. Make sure they are all locked, ie turned clockwise.

install1155_DSCF3485.jpg
All of them are turned clockwise.

PC Rough Draft: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9Wh6jX

Lemme know if this is overkill with the Titan for gaming/3D Modeling.

I chose a better CPU cooler, more expensive of course but I find it rather funny to have the 212 in such a high end rig.

RAM is faster, for slightly more money.

Cheaper XFX PSU. Their PSU are made by Seasonic, so the quality is good.

Edit: lol forgot the link http://pcpartpicker.com/p/KWh6jX

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor ($389.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($79.91 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI X99S SLI Plus ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($161.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($239.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X 12GB Video Card ($999.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($78.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: XFX XTR 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/RSBS DVD/CD Writer ($17.74 @ Newegg)
Total: $2023.58
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-19 04:38 EDT-0400

RGM79

No it's not, the gpu is new btw.

So... what do you mean, then?

PC Rough Draft: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9Wh6jX

Lemme know if this is overkill with the Titan for gaming/3D Modeling.
What's your budget?

You seem to be going with a black motif, but there is 16GB of G.Skill 2666MHz RAM for $20 cheaper, too bad it's blue.

I'd go with a better air cooler, the 140 watt TDP is a bit high for a budget cooler like the 212 Evo to handle effectively, especially for overclocking. There's the black version of the Phanteks PH-TC14PE for $70 that will perform well. If you don't mind white, blue, or red, then those versions of the Phanteks air cooler are $10 cheaper at $60.

Haven't considered what sort of storage drives you'll be getting? And do you really need a DVD drive?

If you can spend for it, I highly recommend the Fractal Define R5 ($108~$118), a lot changed from the R4 to the R5 and there's a lot to like about it.

The EVGA Supernova G2 is a great power supply, but it's a bit expensive. Just about two weeks ago, it was $85. I'd recommend something cheaper yet still high quality like the Supernova B2, 750 watts for $60, 850 watts for $65. If you really want gold efficiency for some reason, then there's the XFX XTR 750 watt gold rated fully modular PSU for $89, it's actually manufactured by Seasonic which is a great brand.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor ($389.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI X99S SLI Plus ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($161.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($209.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X 12GB Video Card ($999.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($117.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1974.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-19 04:53 EDT-0400

After cutting out the DVD drive and replacing the currently overpriced Supernova G2, the better case and cooler only amount to a $16 increase over your initial build.

i need to stop coming into this thread! i just bought a pc a month ago and ALREADY want to upgrade. i5-4590, 8GB, R9 290. I know it's a good build, only for 1080p, and will last me a couple years but i just really enjoyed building it and want to do it again.

Edit* all them titan x's are so damn beautiful!

bomblord1

Banned
Anyone here have experience with HIS as a GPU manufacturer? There is a fairly cheap ($180) R9 285 by them but I've never heard of or used the brand. There's also a (single) fairly scathing review on the product (out of 4 total the other 3 being positive).

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
I took out the cmos battery and saw that my cpu power was loose from the cpu power extension

Took them apart and noticed they have different sockes

Mb and cpu power extension have the same sockes but my power supply cpu sockets are completely different

Mb and cpu extension are
OSSO
SOOS

cpu from power supply is
OSOO
SOOO

EDIT

Just turned on computer and it turned off, started up agian and said BIOS was resetted...
Was the shut down supposed to happen?

Smokey

Cross post for those who maybe are not visiting the Titan X thread

Well...I have experienced 4k 60fps and it is the real deal.

I loaded up BF4 Final Stand, Giants of Kareilia 64p MP map. Everything Ultra including 4xMSAA. Never dipped below 80fps. I did the TR benchmark, Ultimate setting @ 4K and I got 88 fps. For kicks I did Ultimate + 4x SSAA (lol) and I still came in at a playable 44fps. Everything on stock clocks.

I really miss Gsync though. Will have to keep my eye out for upcoming 4k Gsync sets.

Benchmarks to gaming has all been smooth at 4k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom