• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.
There should be some cables from the case that plug into the motherboard for the front sound ports. Trace back and see if there are any not plugged in.

You probably didn't connect a wire. If you google "front audio ports connection" you'll find a ton of pictures of what you should be looking for. Just connect them to your motherboard (or soundcard if you have one).

Yeah, I just can't remember if I did or not. The USB ports and the reset button, power button, and all power/drive LEDs are working just fine. I can't believe I either didn't notice or forgot to plug in the audio cables.

tarheel91

Other than that, it's pretty damn sweet. I'm glad I decided to go with Intel this time around. Also, I'm deciding between the Logitech Z-506, Bose Companion 2/3, Kilpsch ProMedia 2.1 or Razer Leviathan for sound purposes. I want simplicity but no compromise on the sound quality. Thoughts anyone?

At that price range you're probably better off getting headphones if sound quality is important. Otherwise stick to a couple of desktop speakers. There's really no such thing as a decent sounding $100 5.1.

yatesl

Hard to say. Can you isolate where the smell is coming from? You can take the PSU out of the computer and turn it on with the old paper clip trick. If the smell is definitely coming from there, then it's not worth using again.

Shortly after I made that post, I heard a crunch (not a pop) again and it cut off. Absolutely coming from the PSU, as it was getting quite hot near the cables. The PC is now fully unplugged, and won't be going on again.

Looking at getting this now:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor (£50.49 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£76.27 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Cooler Master Silencio 352 MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£46.32 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£56.83 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £229.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-15 20:27 GMT+0000

It's going to be combined with his existing 4GB RAM, ATi 5770 (lol), and SSDs/HDDs.

Mekh

Neo Member
No point in repeating that it's overpriced. What's your budget for a PC, £600? You can put together a more modern computer easily.

Yeah! my budget is £600 and looking for a PC that is great for gaming and video editing. Any suggestions would be great, Thank You.

gossi

So I know isn't a hardware problem (probably) but I was wondering if anybody has seen this before. If I boot Windows 8 in 'safe' mode (the auto recovery menu) the keyboard and mouse don't work. Same happens with WinPE disks. They're generic USB devices, which work fine once Windows starts and don't need custom drivers. They also work fine in the BIOS.

The problem is if my PC fails to start Windows for any reason, it's difficult to troubleshoot without a keyboard or mouse.. (Also, they're not plugged into USB 3 controller).

I hope some new Gsync monitors come out soon. My current monitor is about 6 years old and I'm ready to upgrade. My video card is also 3-4 years old though, so I would need a new vid card as well... bugger.

RGM79

Shortly after I made that post, I heard a crunch (not a pop) again and it cut off. Absolutely coming from the PSU, as it was getting quite hot near the cables. The PC is now fully unplugged, and won't be going on again.

Looking at getting this now:

It's going to be combined with his existing 4GB RAM, ATi 5770 (lol), and SSDs/HDDs.

Looks like you have a plan. What's the budget for parts? If you plan to spend as little as possible, I have some recommendations. You can save about £40 going with these parts instead:

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor (£49.14 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£64.62 @ Amazon UK)
Case: BitFenix Neos Black ATX Mid Tower Case (£29.75 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£46.09 @ Aria PC)
Total: £189.60
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-15 20:52 GMT+0000

Yeah! my budget is £600 and looking for a PC that is great for gaming and video editing. Any suggestions would be great, Thank You.
Do you have any parts from an old computer that you'll be reusing? Case, RAM hard drive, power supply?

Here's a starting build, with emphasis on a strong processor and graphics card. In the future you can add a £30 CPU cooler to replace the stock Intel cooler, and overclock for added performance.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£167.50 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Patriot Signature 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£43.35 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£35.94 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 290 4GB PCS+ Video Card (£199.99 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£58.57 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £599.72
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-15 20:59 GMT+0000

For video editing I'd usually recommend 16GB, but that £200 Powercolor PCS+ R9 290 is just too good to pass up for gaming. Even if I tried to save money for more RAM by dropping down to the cheapest R9 280X (£178), it'd only be a difference of £22 and not enough for 16GB. You'll want the R9 290 instead of the R9 280X, it'll tide you over for a few years of 1080p gaming, no problem. You can always add extra RAM, while replacing a graphics card with a stronger model is always a larger cost.

So I know isn't a hardware problem (probably) but I was wondering if anybody has seen this before. If I boot Windows 8 in 'safe' mode (the auto recovery menu) the keyboard and mouse don't work. Same happens with WinPE disks. They're generic USB devices, which work fine once Windows starts and don't need custom drivers. They also work fine in the BIOS.

The problem is if my PC fails to start Windows for any reason, it's difficult to troubleshoot without a keyboard or mouse.. (Also, they're not plugged into USB 3 controller).

Pardon the dumb question, but have you tried unplugging and replugging into different USB ports while the computer is in safe mode? What motherboard model do you have?

Mekh

Neo Member
Do you have any parts from an old computer that you'll be reusing? Case, RAM hard drive, power supply?

Here's a starting build, with emphasis on a strong processor and graphics card. In the future you can add a £30 CPU cooler to replace the stock Intel cooler, and overclock for added performance.

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£35.94 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 290 4GB PCS+ Video Card (£199.99 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£58.57 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £599.72
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-15 20:59 GMT+0000

For video editing I'd usually recommend 16GB, but that £200 Powercolor PCS+ R9 290 is just too good to pass up for gaming. Even if I tried to save money for more RAM by dropping down to the cheapest R9 280X (£178), it'd only be a difference of £22 and not enough for 16GB. You'll want the R9 290 instead of the R9 280X, it'll tide you over for a few years of 1080p gaming, no problem. You can always add extra RAM, while replacing a graphics card with a stronger model is always a larger cost.

Great list, Thank You and btw I am currently using laptops,so no pc components.

Mussah92

hi guys,

maybe off-topic but: What computer should i buy when i just want to run software like zBrush, 3DS Max/Maya and photoshop. Games would be nice but i'm not overly enthusiastic about becoming a PC gamer yet (although, if i would upgrade later to play them , that'll be good)

I was thinking would premade PC's on amazon be okay? any help would be great :D

LilJoka

I haven't heard this anywhere. What is this based on?

Based on experience, this isnt a rumour or anything, its my prediction.

Intel wont release 8c Consumer chips anytime soon thats for sure. They delayed 8c chips until Haswell E, and the server parts already had 8c or more at ivy bridge. The trend will continue since Intel makes lots of money through Xeon parts and consumer parts are just a side cash grab.

Games literally have only started to utilise 4c8t CPUs (Ubisoft mainly) and at most when other games catch up, itll be Ubisoft needing a hexcore CPU before anyone else, most likely in around 18months. Intel should have released Skylake by around then, and very likely the highest consumer chip will be 6c, and probably 8c-10c on the E lineup. Generation after that likely sees no change in core numbers.

AndreH121

Neo Member
I currently have an Intel 730 480GB SSD and was thinking of adding an extra one to run in a RAID 0 setup. Just wondering if this is easy to set up and is there a way to switch all my data from a single drive to RAID 0 setup or would it be better to just erase and reformat everything?

The Llama

I currently have an Intel 730 480GB SSD and was thinking of adding an extra one to run in a RAID 0 setup. Just wondering if this is easy to set up and is there a way to switch all my data from a single drive to RAID 0 setup or would it be better to just erase and reformat everything?

You don't really have anything to gain from running SSD's in RAID 0, I wouldn't bother.

RGM79

hi guys,

maybe off-topic but: What computer should i buy when i just want to run software like zBrush, 3DS Max/Maya and photoshop. Games would be nice but i'm not overly enthusiastic about becoming a PC gamer yet (although, if i would upgrade later to play them , that'll be good)

I was thinking would premade PC's on amazon be okay? any help would be great :D
For all of those programs, you just need 8GB of RAM or more and any midrange AMD/Nvidia GPU will do.

Sorry, we don't really recommend prebuilt systems here. I can recommend you a list of parts if you have a budget, though.

Mussah92

For all of those programs, you just need 8GB of RAM or more and any midrange AMD/Nvidia GPU will do.

Sorry, we don't really recommend prebuilt systems here. I can recommend you a list of parts if you have a budget, though.

Ah okay, thank you.

My budget is £500

Hey Gaf,

Having a really odd power issue with my PC. Two days in a row, I've gone to turn on my PC from being shut down. It wouldn't turn on. In both situations I turned the PSU on and off, unplugged and plugged in the power cord from the PSU, unplugged the power cord from the power strip it's plugged into, and plug it directly into the wall, tried multiple outlets. None of this worked to turn on my PC.

In both situations I picked up my PC, took it into the living room and plugged it in, and it powered on right away. Then I took the PC back to my desk, plugged it into the power strip exactly as it was in the first place and it now worked fine. What could this possibly mean? What could I possibly do to troubleshoot the issue?

RGM79

Ah okay, thank you.

My budget is £500

Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 270X 2GB PCS+ Video Card (£124.81 @ More Computers)
Case: BitFenix Comrade ATX Mid Tower Case (£28.47 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£46.09 @ Aria PC)
Total: £510.78
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-15 22:51 GMT+0000

Best video card you'll get, it'll be good enough for 1080p medium/high settings for games, while meeting the requirements for your graphics programs.

Hey Gaf,

Having a really odd power issue with my PC. Two days in a row, I've gone to turn on my PC from being shut down. It wouldn't turn on. In both situations I turned the PSU on and off, unplugged and plugged in the power cord from the PSU, unplugged the power cord from the power strip it's plugged into, and plug it directly into the wall, tried multiple outlets. None of this worked to turn on my PC.

In both situations I picked up my PC, took it into the living room and plugged it in, and it powered on right away. Then I took the PC back to my desk, plugged it into the power strip exactly as it was in the first place and it now worked fine. What could this possibly mean? What could I possibly do to troubleshoot the issue?

How long are you unplugging the computer for before plugging it back in? Have you checked the motherboard LEDs? Could it be the amount of time spent carrying the case into the living room giving either the computer or the power strip enough time to.. "reset"? Maybe it's faulty AC outlets or power strip.. have you checked if other devices work in those outlets?

It's difficult to troubleshoot because it could be any number of things. All that's there to do is trial and error. Try using a different power cord, power strip, surge protector, test the outlet to see if it works properly, etc. You haven't made any physical changes to your computer recently, have you?

You can test the power supply to see if it's not turning on or if the computer case has a faulty switch. The paper clip method, unplug your PSU's 24 pin cable and give it a try. You won't need to take the PSU out, although depending on certain things it may be safer to disconnect or just remove the PSU from the PC before testing it.

How long are you unplugging the computer for before plugging it back in? Have you checked the motherboard LEDs? Could it be the amount of time spent carrying the case into the living room giving either the computer or the power strip enough time to.. "reset"? Maybe it's faulty AC outlets or power strip.. have you checked if other devices work in those outlets?

It's difficult to troubleshoot because it could be any number of things. All that's there to do is trial and error. Try using a different power cord, power strip, surge protector, test the outlet to see if it works properly, etc. You haven't made any physical changes to your computer recently, have you?

You can test the power supply to see if it's not turning on or if the computer case has a faulty switch. The paper clip method, unplug your PSU's 24 pin cable and give it a try. You won't need to take the PSU out, although depending on certain things it may be safer to disconnect or just remove the PSU from the PC before testing it.

That's true. I'm not giving it a ton of time when I go to turn the PSU on/of and plug/unplug the cables. I'll give that a try next time it does this. I wouldn't be surprised if there's some problem with the power strip or outlets, as I got the powerstrip from my dad and it's probably at least a few years old, and my apartment building seems to have been built in the 60s or 70s. Although my TV/Monitor is plugged into the same power strip and has no problem getting power ever.

Next time it happens I'll give it more time to power cycle and I'll test some other things in the outlet and power strip.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
My computer just did it agian;
stars up, shuts down
Starts up and shows UEFI bios (nothing there), shuts downs

Starts normally

trying 1 stick of ram

charpunk

I somehow went from upgrading my power supply to upgrading pretty much everything else. Went with:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($299.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($189.00 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($147.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 1300W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($162.04 @ Newegg)
Total: $949.01
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-15 18:52 EST-0500

Went kind of overboard with the power supply, but I didn't want to run into the same situation of hitting a wall down the line again. It also came with a $35 rebate. I could have saved money on the MB, but I needed one with a PCI slot for my soundcard that I need for my setup. Already have a GTX 970, decent CPU cooler, SDD, and other drives.

I now have everything sitting here, except the case. It's killing me!

SpeedyDesiato

Neo Member
Never done this before - I hope I'm doing it right. Thanks for any/all help, guys!

Budget: £800-1000; United Kingdom

Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest:
Light Gaming, 5
Gaming, 5
Emulation (PS2/Wii), 1
Video Editing, 2
Streaming games in HD, 3
3D/Model work (and what program), 1
General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback). 5

Monitor Resolution: I'd like to play at 1080p, and I will be buying a new monitor.

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well:
30 FPS is fine; 60 would be nice. Games I'd like to be able to play: the Telltale games; Assassin's Creed Unity (sue me); Witcher 3; Dragon Age Inquisition; Far Cry 4

Looking to reuse any parts?: None

When will you build?: No deadline, but I'd like to build it within the next month.

Will you be overclocking?: I don't know how to at present, but perhaps with a sick PC I will look into it!

Lunar15

Whelp, this 970 has some pretty serious coil whine. Debating about whether it's bothering me enough to send it back... but would that even matter?

How have others dealt with coil whine?

charpunk

Whelp, this 970 has some pretty serious coil whine. Debating about whether it's bothering me enough to send it back... but would that even matter?

How have others dealt with coil whine?

Which card is it? My first G1 was pretty bad after a few days. I exchanged it for a new one which has been super quiet.

charpunk

It's a G1. Did you find the exchange process pretty simple?

It was super easy through newegg. I think you have to pay shipping cost to them, and they pay for shipping back. I'm a member of their premier club so shipping was free, main reason I did it.

Lunar15

It was super easy through newegg. I think you have to pay shipping cost to them, and they pay for shipping back. I'm a member of their premier club so shipping was free, main reason I did it.

Question, was the sound you were hearing more like a high pitched sound, or a buzzing?

LilJoka

Never done this before - I hope I'm doing it right. Thanks for any/all help, guys!

Budget: £800-1000; United Kingdom

Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest:
Light Gaming, 5
Gaming, 5
Emulation (PS2/Wii), 1
Video Editing, 2
Streaming games in HD, 3
3D/Model work (and what program), 1
General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback). 5

Monitor Resolution: I'd like to play at 1080p, and I will be buying a new monitor.

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well:
30 FPS is fine; 60 would be nice. Games I'd like to be able to play: the Telltale games; Assassin's Creed Unity (sue me); Witcher 3; Dragon Age Inquisition; Far Cry 4

Looking to reuse any parts?: None

When will you build?: No deadline, but I'd like to build it within the next month.

Will you be overclocking?: I don't know how to at present, but perhaps with a sick PC I will look into it!

Monitor in budget or extra?

Lunar15

A loud buzzing noise. It would go in and out when idle, playing anything would make a steady loud buzz.

Hmm, that's not the sound I appear to be having. This is a high pitched noise... not particularly loud but constant enough to be weirdly annoying.

Might be a fan, I'll have to test parts individually.

XBP

For me, it's fine, but I'm coming from a really, really noisy case so my bar is low.

The back exauhst fan seemed pretty quiet to me, most of the noise is coming from my radiator fans and the front intake. I might swap out the rad fans, but overall, the noise isn't a problem for me. I do sometimes hear some coil whine from my 970, and since the case is pretty open on top (with the dust filter) the case does nothing to dampen the noise.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with it. I debated for a long time back and forth about getting this or the R5, but I'm satisfied with my choice. Noise was never a huge priority for me as I use headphones and anything from my last case would have been a giant step-up anyway.

The Luxe was an absolute delight to build in. I'm a novice at cable management, but I found it almost effortless due to the case's setup. I love all the dust filters and I'm quite partial to the tinted side window. It's a good looking computer.

Agreed with the front fan. Thats producing 90% of the noise. Its just that I thought this build would be a lot quieter than it is. Its not really a problem as I use headphones as well and my previous build sounded like a jet engine when it was on.

As the time to make a final decision approaches, I'm considering three builds.

Current Specs: None
Budget: Roughly $1500, tops out around $1550 max.
Main Use: Gaming
Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080
Specific Games: Dragon Age: Inquisition, Project CARS, The Witcher 3 (1080p 60fps, high settings)
When: Soon
Reusing: Possibly using a Fractal Design Core 1000 on hand.
Overclocking: CPU, RAM (I know it doesn't do anything, but it's close enough in price to DDR3-1600.), GPU

Disclaimer: I'm in the U.S., but the only realistic options are Newegg and Amazon.

Build 1: Micro ATX

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII GENE Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($209.79 @ Amazon)
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($155.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($422.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($369.95 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12G 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($76.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1530.67
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-15 21:29 EST-0500

Build 2: Mini ITX

Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII IMPACT Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($229.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($155.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($52.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 4GB Twin Frozr Video Card ($559.99)
Case: Fractal Design Node 304 (White) Mini ITX Tower Case ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12G 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($76.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1445.91
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-15 21:14 EST-0500

Build 3: ATX

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($154.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($52.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (136.85 @ Amazon)
Total: $1491.78
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-15 21:15 EST-0500

I was able to make space for a 1TB SSD in Build 1 at the expense of the 980. In Builds 2 and 3, I'd rather slot in an SSD next year.

Anyway, sorry for the long post and indecisiveness, but please give me some feedback.

The Llama

As the time to make a final decision approaches, I'm considering three builds.

Current Specs: None
Budget: Roughly $1500, tops out around $1550 max.
Main Use: Gaming
Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080
Specific Games: Dragon Age: Inquisition, Project CARS, The Witcher 3 (1080p 60fps, high settings)
When: Soon
Reusing: Possibly using a Fractal Design Core 1000 on hand.
Overclocking: CPU, RAM (I know it doesn't do anything, but it's close enough in price to DDR3-1600.), GPU

Disclaimer: I'm in the U.S., but the only realistic options are Newegg and Amazon.

Build 1: Micro ATX

Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII GENE Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($209.79 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($422.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($369.95 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $1530.67
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-15 21:29 EST-0500

Build 2: Mini ITX

Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII IMPACT Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($229.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Node 304 (White) Mini ITX Tower Case ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1445.91
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-15 21:14 EST-0500

Build 3: ATX

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($154.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (136.85 @ Amazon)
Total: $1491.78
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-15 21:15 EST-0500

I was able to make space for a 1TB SSD in Build 1 at the expense of the 980. In Builds 2 and 3, I'd rather slot in an SSD next year.

Anyway, sorry for the long post and indecisiveness, but please give me some feedback.

Honestly, the size is totally up to you. That's something you'll need to decide for yourself. I wouldn't go mini-ATX unless you really want something very small, but that's just IMO (because it leaves basically no room for expansion, and you'll have to avoid some large GPU's).

For the SSD thing, if the choice is 970+SSD or 980, I go 970+SSD every time. The 980 is a pretty poor value anyway (but if you want it, get it, it's your build!).

Goddard

When is the next date it is very likely to get good deals on GPUs? Boxing day? I want to get my R9 290 asap but I don't want to pay $350. How much do these cards usually go on sale for?

Honestly, the size is totally up to you. That's something you'll need to decide for yourself. I wouldn't go mini-ITX unless you really want something very small, but that's just IMO (because it leaves basically no room for expansion, and you'll have to avoid some large GPU's).

True.

For example, in the ITX build, I started off with the same 970 in the Micro ATX build. The problem was that it couldn't fit. I like the size, but I'm worried about how cramped it will be. I would already have to mount the cooler horizontally. On the other hand, Kennah and others have had positive experiences.

For the SSD thing, if the choice is 970+SSD or 980, I go 970+SSD every time. The 980 is a pretty poor value anyway (but if you want it, get it, it's your build!).

Objectively, I know you're right, but idea of pushing the boundaries with everything else is intoxicating.

Edit: This might work.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Node 304 (White) Mini ITX Tower Case ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12G 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($89.80 @ Amazon)
Total: $1542.72
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-15 22:46 EST-0500

Lunar15

Agreed with the front fan. Thats producing 90% of the noise. Its just that I thought this build would be a lot quieter than it is. Its not really a problem as I use headphones as well and my previous build sounded like a jet engine when it was on.

I had heard this was the case before purchasing. I still went with this just because I liked it more. I mean, I guess down the road I could replace that front fan, doesn't seem too difficult.

kennah

The 980 doesn't push any boundaries, it is just straight up bad value.

The only reason to get a 980 is if you are buying two to SLI.

Flandy

Hey guys I'm thinking of buying this for $345
SAPPHIRE 100352-3L Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384-bit GDDR5
Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge Quad-Core 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO LGA 1155
Crucial DDR3 8GB 240pin 1333 RAM

What PSU, Case, and HDD would you recommend to go along with it?

Goddard

Hey guys I'm thinking of buying this for $345
SAPPHIRE 100352-3L Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384-bit GDDR5
Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge Quad-Core 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO LGA 1155
Crucial DDR3 8GB 240pin 1333 RAM

What PSU, Case, and HDD would you recommend to go along with it?

All three of the things you are requesting are fairly subjective. There is a whole section on the front page to help you pick out a case, HDD is just pick what size and format you want (SSD, HDD, 1TB, 128GB, etc.) and find the one that has the best value for the price, and power supplies are very straight forward just figure out how much power you need and look at the recommended PSUs on the front page. As for the rest of the build I don't know, it certainly looks pretty god damn decent but I don't know how you are getting such a low price without buying things used, and I wouldn't recommend buying things used.

Flandy

All three of the things you are requesting are fairly subjective. There is a whole section on the front page to help you pick out a case, HDD is just pick what size and format you want (SSD, HDD, 1TB, 128GB, etc.) and find the one that has the best value for the price, and power supplies are very straight forward just figure out how much power you need and look at the recommended PSUs on the front page. As for the rest of the build I don't know, it certainly looks pretty god damn decent but I don't know how you are getting such a low price without buying things used, and I wouldn't recommend buying things used.

Yeah the parts are used. What's so bad about that? :(

Yeah the parts are used. What's so bad about that? :(

The typical concern is that you don't know what conditions they've experienced. In the heyday of coin mining, AMD cards were used intensively in quad-Crossfire configurations, then sold when they had outlived their usefulness. Miners were using plastic crates for rigs.

That's not to say that the previous owner of your components even bothered overclocking or didn't give their PC proper maintenance, but those are the main concerns.

Besides the components you plan to purchase used, what's your budget?

Flandy

The typical concern is that you don't know what conditions they've experienced. In the heyday of coin mining, AMD cards were used intensively in quad-Crossfire configurations, then sold when they had outlived their usefulness. Miners were using plastic crates for rigs.

That's not to say that the previous owner of your components even bothered overclocking or didn't give their PC proper maintenance, but those are the main concerns.

Besides the components you plan to purchase used, what's your budget?

Well after I buy the parts I listed above I would have $150 left so that. I plan on temporarily(until I get paid) using a old HDD I have lying around so that I can put that money towards the case and PSU

M.Bluth

Is there an easy way to clean difficult and stubborn dust on components?
Was given a computer to replace a faulty PSU, and the thing is choke full of old, old dust

RGM79

Well after I buy the parts I listed above I would have $150 left so that. I plan on temporarily(until I get paid) using a old HDD I have lying around so that I can put that money towards the case and PSU

If you live near a Microcentre store, you can pick up an i5 4690K for just $180. Otherwise, you can get a brand new processor, motherboard, and RAM for $356, and live off integrated graphics for now.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($80.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $355.96
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-16 02:10 EST-0500

Is there an easy way to clean difficult and stubborn dust on components?
Was given a computer to replace a faulty PSU, and the thing is choke full of old, old dust

Have you got an air compressor or multiple cans of compressed air?

I take it you're in the U.S.?

The motherboard you're purchasing is an ATX motherboard, so you'll need to estimate the power draw of your components. Besides that, look at the suggestions in the OP to figure out how to divide it. With a small budget, you'll have to compromise on what you get, i.e. a better power supply and a cheap case, vice versa or some kind of balance.

Edit:
The 980 doesn't push any boundaries, it is just straight up bad value.

The only reason to get a 980 is if you are buying two to SLI.

You're right, you're right. I'm just feeling that itch. I need to be more reasonable and get something like this.

CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12G 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($89.80 @ Amazon)
Total: $1382.49
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-16 02:12 EST-0500

If you or anyone else sees any compatibility issues, let me know.

Flandy

I take it you're in the U.S.?

The motherboard you're purchasing is an ATX motherboard, so you'll need to estimate the power draw of your components. Besides that, look at the suggestions in the OP to figure out how to divide it. With a small budget, you'll have to compromise on what you get, i.e. a better power supply and a cheap case, vice versa or some kind of balance.
Yeah I'm in the US.

How would I estimate the power consumption?

Also, now that I think about it. My budget is slightly higher if we take my best buy credit into account. Have a $40 gift card + $15 rewards certificate

Yeah I'm in the US.

How would I estimate the power consumption?

Also, now that I think about it. My budget is slightly higher if we take my best buy credit into account. Have a $40 gift card + $15 rewards certificate

www.pcpartpicker.com

Plug your parts into a list and it will show you the estimated wattage (include your old HDD).

If you expect this build to be your entry into PC gaming, etc., you can find popular GAF recommendations like Fractal Design cases and SeaSonic power supplies on the front page. Then, you can upgrade other parts like your GPU over time. The GPU is probably the first thing you'll want to upgrade (circa 2H 2015). That CPU should have some life left in it.

Edit: You should probably listen to RGM79's advice on the last page.

RGM79

I've used my trusty air compressor to clean most of it. But there's still some clinging hard, particularly on fans and in some parts on the board.

For delicate close-up work, cotton swabs with a bit of rubbing alcohol, toothpicks, and or tweezers where appropriate. I also use a keyboard brush with plastic bristles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom