• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordK

Is it pretty safe to buy a case now if I won't buy a computer for a year? Tiger direct has 40 off 120 right now and it'd be nice to take advantage of it.

Do cases make a ton of progress in a year?

Garuda1One

So guys.. i have a gtx 690 and thinking of selling the damn thing (the 2gb ram really is the problem) and then buy gtx 980.. so... is it worth it ? I can still sell 690 for a good price and add a few (hundreds) bucks for a 980..

RGM79

Speaking of air compressor. Which is a good recommendation?

Sorry for offtopic.

Sorry, no idea. I don't personally have one, I've only ever used massive workshop class compressors that have tanks taller than I am.

Is it pretty safe to buy a case now if I won't buy a computer for a year? Tiger direct has 40 off 120 right now and it'd be nice to take advantage of it.

If you already have a case in mind, go for it. Cases don't change very much. We've had the same ATX case standard for almost two decades, and any case made in the last 10 years is still usable.

So guys.. i have a gtx 690 and thinking of selling the damn thing (the 2gb ram really is the problem) and then buy gtx 980.. so... is it worth it ? I can still sell 690 for a good price and add a few (hundreds) bucks for a 980..

The difference between the GTX 680 and 980 is huge. However, the GTX 970 offers 80-90 percent of the performance of a GTX 980 for a lot less money, though, so it's a better idea to go for the GTX 970. Some GTX 970 models can be overclocked to match the performance of a stock GTX 980. Results vary, but is generally possible with higher end GTX 970 models.

Dries

So I ran the 3Dmark Fire Strike benchmark with my OC'ed 2500K 4.4ghz and my stock 770 2 GB.

1) The result is so:

JR0QPvu.jpg

The result seems to be fine and in order with the rest of the world, but I'm confused by that "achievement". My 2500K is running a stable 4.4ghz overclock, yet this message tells me otherwise. Am I misinterpreting this or is there something wrong with my CPU? Also: MSI Afterburner was telling me my GPU usage was 99% so.....

2) I would like to compare my scores with other 770 users. Is that graph in the 3Dmark results page the only way or are there other places where I can also compare? Wouldn't mind knowing some then.

RGM79

So I ran the 3Dmark Fire Strike benchmark with my OC'ed 2500K 4.4ghz and my stock 770 2 GB.

1) The result is so:

The result seems to be fine and in order with the rest of the world, but I'm confused by that "achievement". My 2500K is running a stable 4.4ghz overclock, yet this message tells me otherwise. Am I misinterpreting this or is there something wrong with my CPU? Also: MSI Afterburner was telling me my GPU usage was 99% so.....

2) I would like to compare my scores with other 770 users. Is that graph in the 3Dmark results page the only way or are there other places where I can also compare? Wouldn't mind knowing some then.

Unless you actually have problems playing games, I wouldn't worry about it. A quick google search shows that the brains and brawns achievements (for benchmarking software? really?) sometimes is handed out without making sense.

Dries

Unless you actually have problems playing games, I wouldn't worry about it. A quick google search shows that the brains and brawns achievements (for benchmarking software? really?) sometimes is handed out without making sense.

Shameful stuff though, if they really are handed out without making sense. Uneducated hardware people (like me) could be really easily put on the wrong track because of these kind of things.

LilJoka

Included. I do have a monitor but I don't think it's much cop anymore, so a new one is probably needed.

I do have a mouse and keyboard, but I'd also probably need a new case to house it all as well included in that.

Heres a start point
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core OEM/Tray Processor (£259.73 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£24.85 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£107.00 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£59.98 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Toshiba 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£37.60 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (£272.99 @ Ebuyer)
Case: Corsair 350D MicroATX Mid Tower Case (£74.64 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12G 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply (£73.49 @ Amazon UK)
Monitor: Dell P2414H 60Hz 23.8" Monitor (£178.98 @ Novatech)
Total: £1089.26
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-16 14:39 GMT+0000

LilJoka

I can't believe the price that PC is going for. AVOID.

edit: Also reading the reviews... what's wrong with these people? Are they not aware of how badly they are getting ripped off?
It almost looks like a joke webpage, sponsored by The Onion or something.

The reviews are hilarious, they really believe they got a good deal.

ISee

From the reviews:

It comes with a real Logitech keyboard and mouse.

Whatever you do, don't buy a HP or Compaq ... 'they' lure you in with their great specs and low price.

It is without a doubt one of the best PC I have ever owned it is right up there with my Alienware PC and with a lower price tag

It's a great machine that's been destroyed by the crippling incompetence of Windows 8.

Very smooth, very fast. You cant beat this prebuilt PC from Cybertron.

I bought this computer a month ago (roughly) and i have been playing wow on High graphics no problem. Thanks !!!

Thanks for bringing this to our attention Netprints.

Netprints

Thanks for bringing this to our attention Netprints.

Yeah no problem. I was just searching for a pc but I know nothing about specs or building a pc and I came across that with those high reviews. I will start to research again, looking for a pc that is 500 to 800 bucks.

appaws

Banned
Yeah no problem. I was just searching for a pc but I know nothing about specs or building a pc and I came across that with those high reviews. I will start to research again, looking for a pc that is 500 to 800 bucks.

The OP of this thread is a great resource.

Also, Newegg has a series of videos on Youtube about building a PC. The first one is about selecting components. Watch that, and later the other ones about actually putting it together.

ricki42

In the OP it says the EVGA 500/600 are good values but they aren't modular. What does that mean?

If you mean what modular means with regard to PSUs, it just means that the cables aren't attached to the PSU but can be unplugged. That way, you can plug in only the cables you need and don't have all the others you don't need in the case. Makes for cleaner cable management.

Flandy

Modular PSU gives you the ability to plug in only the cables you want.
Non-modular ones come with all the cables already built-in. More messy, but cheaper.

If you mean what modular means with regard to PSUs, it just means that the cables aren't attached to the PSU but can be unplugged. That way, you can plug in only the cables you need and don't have all the others you don't need in the case. Makes for cleaner cable management.

Hrmm so I should have no issues if i get one of those then?

This any good? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/corsair...lack/8324202.p?id=1218872214205&skuId=8324202
It's in stock at my local best buy and i'm looking to get rid of some best buy credit

Sup ya'll. Anyone know of a good case to rock an R9 280X in? The card is about 5" 4.1" wide and 12.5" long, so it's a big fucking thing!

I'm currently rocking an Antec Three Hundred Two I'd like space behind the motherboard so I can manage these cables better. The 302 doesn't really allow for it.

(under $100 would be really great)

ricki42

Sup ya'll. Anyone know of a good case to rock an R9 280X in? The card is about 5" 4.1" wide and 12.5" long, so it's a big fucking thing!

I'm currently rocking an Antec Three Hundred Two I'd like space behind the motherboard so I can manage these cables better. The 302 doesn't really allow for it.

(under $100 would be really great)

The Fractal Design Define R4 has a decent amount of space behind the motherboard. It'll fit the videocard if you remove the upper part of the drive cage. It's $80. I have that case and I'm quite happy with it. The R5 - the newer model - is $110.
The Corsair Carbide Air 540 seems to be really nice for cable management but is more expensive ($130).

The Fractal Design Define R4 has a decent amount of space behind the motherboard. It'll fit the videocard if you remove the upper part of the drive cage. It's $80. I have that case and I'm quite happy with it. The R5 - the newer model - is $110.
The Corsair Carbide Air 540 seems to be really nice for cable management but is more expensive ($130).

Those look like fantastic suggestions. I will definitely consider them, especially maybe putting down a bigger investment for that Corsair cube case. I'd love me a cube case. Thank you, Ricki. :3

Needlecrash

At that price range you're probably better off getting headphones if sound quality is important. Otherwise stick to a couple of desktop speakers. There's really no such thing as a decent sounding $100 5.1.

I have a set of Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro's so I'm good in that department. I wound up getting the Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 and they fucking rock.

Needlecrash

Had my 1st crap out yesterday. Somehow, my registry got corrupted in Windows 8.1 and I may have to do with me installing the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver. I started from scratch and everything is looking good. I also downloaded Classic Shell and it's awesome; makes Windows 8.1 much more easier to work with. And I got the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers and they are badass.

Ok I'm done. Maybe I'll post up some Firestrike scores soon.

NoRéN

What brand ?

MSI 970 gaming.

I had not run anything demanding on it so I had not noticed it until yesterday when i, well, can't recall what it was actually. Anyway, Directv updated so the receiver turned off and with the extra quiet that's when i heard it.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

Cases are actually one area where progress has been pretty nice, but if you see one now you really like it's not a big deal. Just a few quality of life improvements probably.

I don't want to derail or go off topic here, but unless I get this sorted I will genuinely need a new PC, so wondering if I can get this sussed here first before seeking guidance on some components.

So if you're interested here's my PC performance problem saga so far: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=934054

basically I get intermittent FPS drop in games. Looked at my resource monitor earlier and noticed that my Maximum Frequency jumps up and down at perfect intervals whilst I'm in game.

VaZvlBU.jpg

So correct me if I'm wrong, but unless I'm idle this should stick at 100% right?

The Llama

Übermatik;143625604 said:
I don't want to derail or go off topic here, but unless I get this sorted I will genuinely need a new PC, so wondering if I can get this sussed here first before seeking guidance on some components.

So if you're interested here's my PC performance problem saga so far: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=934054

basically I get intermittent FPS drop in games. Looked at my resource monitor earlier and noticed that my Maximum Frequency jumps up and down at perfect intervals whilst I'm in game.

VaZvlBU.jpg

So correct me if I'm wrong, but unless I'm idle this should stick at 100% right?

Could be a temperature issue. Could just be a game or 2 that are poorly coded.

paskowitz

GAF, has anyone done a legitimate (and by that I mean not POS and aesthetically acceptable) totally custom case mod based off of the design of an automotive engine block?

So far this is all I have found and it is laughably gaudy...

I am contemplating starting a long term project building a (water cooled) PC case that modeled after high end automotive engines. Is this a good idea, or bad idea?

Potential candidates:

Ferrari 310B:

Pagani Zonda R:

Mclaren F1 Road Car

Design wise this is what I am thinking:
- Flat vs vertical overall orientation (think a narrower/taller version of the Corsair Air 540 on its side)
- Case would merely shroud the inside frame which would be a...
- A custom, flat bottomed, V shaped test bench...
- Which would be separated into two sections. Top: (mobo, CPU, GPU, RAM, fans/radiators (mounted long ways a flat), SSDs, and dual reservoirs) Bottom: (More fans/radiators, HDDs, PSU, pump and excess cables)...
Example:
Front3.jpg

(Again, it would be more engine shaped, long and tall)
- Water piping and power cables would be used to mimic exhaust headers and go along the outer most bottom sides of the test bench. I would also make them (cables/wires) longer and more prolific to achieve the desired visual effect.
- "Headers" would ideally glow when the computer is under load
- Horizontally (IE flat, not standing) motherboard placement, maybe even rotated so the board is (almost) symmetrical looking down the length of the case.

I am not terribly worried about material costs and machining since I have decent access. Components purchases would be spread out over the course of a year or so. The "test bench" part would essentially just be a V shaped chassis, so that is not too bad. The exterior design (case) will likely be a little more challenging (don't really have any good ideas yet). Ideally this would be ready in time for Skylake and Pascal but that picture is way too murky.

So again, good idea or bad idea?

Archaonlotr

Neo Member
Can someone recommend the best way to neatly do SLi GPU cable management

Ive managed to get a very clean setup for all other cables, except for the GPU

it just seems to stick out, esp the second 8-pin ( im thinking maybe the problem isnt me, but ill need a custom cable better suited for cable management over the default PSU one)

paskowitz

Can someone recommend the best way to neatly do SLi GPU cable management

Ive managed to get a very clean setup for all other cables, except for the GPU

it just seems to stick out, esp the second 8-pin ( im thinking maybe the problem isnt me, but ill need a custom cable better suited for cable management over the default PSU one)

Which cards do you have?

Ryman

Hello, PC Gaf!

I am helping my Sister select parts for her first PC build and would appreciate some input.

-She wants to play games at 60 fps at 1080p
-Primarily interested in playing CoD series, Far Cry series, Skyrim, The Witcher
-Wants emulate
-Price range between $1,000-$1,5000 (excluding the OS and monitor).
-Plans on building very soon (unless you all can see a strong reason to defer building until some point in the future).

Here is the current build she has put together:

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/wlhendri/saved/W2BxFT

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/JdWYwP
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/JdWYwP/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($299.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.75 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($92.97 @ Directron)
Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: PNY GeForce GTX 980 4GB Video Card ($549.98 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 500R Black ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.99 @ Micro Center)
Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($47.26 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($88.98 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM 60Hz 24.0" Monitor ($181.99 @ NCIX US)
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series SP120 Quiet Edition (2-Pack) 37.9 CFM 120mm Fans ($27.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1820.87
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-16 21:26 EST-0500

Note: She really doesn't want to go to Reddit to get a key, she'll just buy it at full price. She also prefers Windows 7 over 8 for whatever reason. She would also like some other suggestions on a similarly sized monitor, if anyone has any.

Final note: I put together an alternative build for her here--

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/C2QXFT
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/C2QXFT/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.98 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.75 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($120.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($77.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card ($559.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 500R White ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.98 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.99 @ Micro Center)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.98 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM 60Hz 24.0" Monitor ($181.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1472.63
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-16 21:32 EST-0500

Let me know if you need any more information, fellow Gafers!

paskowitz

MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB - connections are on the top

The motherboard PSU cable has since been re seated very cleanly, *not shown in this picture*

KVztKJK.jpg

Welp that makes things easy. I have an MSI 980 Gaming.

You will need some twist ties. For the second power connector (left in the picture) (on both cards), you will want to tie it to the right most power cable so that it is flat/flush with the cable. Second, you want both your power cables going flat. Since you have them facing upward, this make take some bending and twisting to get them to set in a different position. Finally, on both cards, you should be able to tie the power cable to the actual outside frame of the chassis (just makes sure you do not block the heat sink).

Ultimately the best thing I can say is try to train the power cables to run flat with the card. You may have to take them all off and bend and hold them. But that with twist ties should do the trick. If you case does not allow this (cable slot is higher than the bottom card) then you will have to some bending of the cable for the bottom card and get some of the cable to go along the side of the case and then bend 90 degrees to the card. Not sure how your case is arranged so I can't really help there.

Archaonlotr

Neo Member
Welp that makes things easy. I have an MSI 980 Gaming.

You will need some twist ties. For the second power connector (left in the picture) (on both cards), you will want to tie it to the right most power cable so that it is flat/flush with the cable. Second, you want both your power cables going flat. Since you have them facing upward, this make take some bending and twisting to get them to set in a different position. Finally, on both cards, you should be able to tie the power cable to the actual outside frame of the chassis (just makes sure you do not block the heat sink).

Ultimately the best thing I can say is try to train the power cables to run flat with the card. You may have to take them all off and bend and hold them. But that with twist ties should do the trick. If you case does not allow this (cable slot is higher than the bottom card) then you will have to some bending of the cable for the bottom card and get some of the cable to go along the side of the case and then bend 90 degrees to the card. Not sure how your case is arranged so I can't really help there.

Ok thanks, ill give it a try!

ricki42

Hello, PC Gaf!

I am helping my Sister select parts for her first PC build and would appreciate some input.

-She wants to play games at 60 fps at 1080p
-Primarily interested in playing CoD series, Far Cry series, Skyrim, The Witcher
-Wants emulate
-Price range between $1,000-$1,5000 (excluding the OS and monitor).
-Plans on building very soon (unless you all can see a strong reason to defer building until some point in the future).

Here is the current build she has put together:

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/wlhendri/saved/W2BxFT

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/JdWYwP

Note: She really doesn't want to go to Reddit to get a key, she'll just buy it at full price. She also prefers Windows 7 over 8 for whatever reason. She would also like some other suggestions on a similarly sized monitor, if anyone has any.

Final note: I put together an alternative build for her here--

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/C2QXFT

Let me know if you need any more information, fellow Gafers!

Unless she really wants the 980, the 970 has the better performance/cost.
With that CPU cooler it's better to use low profile RAM; not a deal breaker, but it ensures that the RAM will fit without having to mount the cooler fan slightly higher.
Get a different PSU, people here usually recommend Seasonic. I have a EVGA G2, I think that one is good too.
Does she really need an optical drive? Might be better to get a bigger storage drive instead (in addition to the SSD). Your second build doesn't have any storage listed at all.

I like how Newegg gave me a code for 10% off desktop memory yesterday but it was only good for ~10 hours. They sent the email at 2:50 PM and it expired at 11:59 PM. Oh well.

RGM79

Übermatik;143626492 said:
It's every game, unfortunately. Temperature issue might be it... Laptop fan goes quite mad at times, but never gets crazy hot... Hmm. Maybe I should get it looked at.

Laptops generally have power saving features in the form of throttling processor speed. I'm not sure if that's what the graph is indicating, though. Try setting Windows Power options to maximum performance if you haven't already done that.

If you click "Results" at the top of the 3DMark webpage, you can search all the results by CPU, GPU, a combination, etc. You can see if your card is performing in line with others who have the same CPU, or if a faster CPU would make a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom