• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Allright, need help to build a pc for my brother, using parts from my old build.

What I already have:
_PSU: Corsair CX430M Bronze Modular - 430W
_SSD: Samsung 830- 128 Go
_HDD: 500 gig (from old alienware laptop)
_RAM: G.Skill Kit Extreme3 2 x 4 Go Sniper 1600 MHz CAS 9
_GPU: Club 3D Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition - 1 Go (I know...he will have to upgrade that one quick)

What I need:
_Proc: currently looking at Intel Core i5 4460
_Mobo: need suggestions (micro atx)
_Case: considering BitFenix Prodigy

Brother and his wife are gamers, this machine will be a living room pc for 1080p tv.
I'm on a budget, but would like something that is cpaable and upgradable.

Budget: 350 ish for cpu, mobo and case

Ps: I did have a look in the Small Form Factor Build Guide section, but since no overclocking is planned, I really need guidance with proc and mobo.

can anyone build me here a pc?

canada

built around a gtx 970. hopefully a really good 970. and hopefully has that evga step-up program? does msi have the same thing? i heard the msi 970 is better.

no ssd, at least not right now. i still have a laptop + 3 extra hdds from previous laptops. so probably a 500gb hdd will do the job. don't care about load times. do ssds affect performance of the game (besides load times)?

a motherboard that is not loaded with unnecessary stuff i don't need. don't need anything for streaming, video editing, etc. just a pc for light gaming at 1080p 60 fps. a motherboard that is compatible with future tech, hopefully? along the lines of the next amd hbm gpu coming out.

basically, a gaming rig for under $1000 (as cheap as possible). just want something that has really good performance and none of the other shenanigans. i just need an hdmi port for the monitor, actually.

single monitor @ 1080p is enough for me, so is 60hz for now.

i browse through kijiji and i get towers with led lights and some other crap, with a gtx 6xx card and they're selling it for $1000+. so yeah...

can anyone build me here a pc?

canada

built around a gtx 970. hopefully a really good 970. and hopefully has that evga step-up program? does msi have the same thing? i heard the msi 970 is better.

no ssd, at least not right now. i still have a laptop + 3 extra hdds from previous laptops. so probably a 500gb hdd will do the job. don't care about load times. do ssds affect performance of the game (besides load times)?

a motherboard that is not loaded with unnecessary stuff i don't need. don't need anything for streaming, video editing, etc. just a pc for light gaming at 1080p 60 fps. a motherboard that is compatible with future tech, hopefully? along the lines of the next amd hbm gpu coming out.

basically, a gaming rig for under $1000 (as cheap as possible). just want something that has really good performance and none of the other shenanigans. i just need an hdmi port for the monitor, actually.

single monitor @ 1080p is enough for me, so is 60hz for now.

i browse through kijiji and i get towers with led lights and some other crap, with a gtx 6xx card and they're selling it for $1000+. so yeah...
Follow the "build" guidelines of the OP to get help.

isny

napkin dispenser
Hmm, would someone be able to help point me in the direction of steps to DL a windows 8 install?

Bought a new laptop HD, tried cloning it but the cloning software didn't work, so I figure it'll be easiest to just install a fresh copy of Windows 8 on the new HD and go from there. I have the key for my install that came with the laptop, but it didn't come with any media for installing windows, they want to charge me $20 for the media.

FLD

Alright, GAF. I could really use some advice here. I was saving up for a PS4 but, looking at prices, I figure I could probably get away with a partial PC upgrade for essentially the same price. All I really need for now is a new CPU, motherboard and RAM. Everything else can wait.

Problem is, as far as hardware goes, I'm not that knowledgeable. I've put together my current rig myself and I know what to look out for as far as picking compatible parts goes, but I don't really follow tech websites and such. So, beyond looking at newegg reviews and such, I'm a bit out of the loop.

This is a build intended for gaming. My current GPU is dated (Radeon HD 6970) but I can't really afford to upgrade it right away. Needless to say, I'm on a budget and I'd be glad to shave off a few bucks here and there, if at all possible. If you guys can recommend better alternatives for the same price or cheaper, by all means do!

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (1x8GB) Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

Haven't really given this one too much though. Corsair is good, right? Would you guys say this is a good pick? Main reason I went for it was I wanted 8GB and it was a single stick, which leaves more room to add more in the future.

Motherboard: ASUS Z97-A LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX

Motherboards is where I'm a bit out of my depth. I pretty much have no idea what I'm looking at here. Again, is this a good board? Should I go for something cheaper? All I know is ASUS has a good reputation and it's compatible with the RAM and CPU I picked out.

CPU: Right now I can't really decide between the i5-4460 and the i5-4690. The latter is only 0.3 GHz faster so I'm wondering if the difference is really worth the extra 30 bucks.

i did, with explanation. do i need to replace "i don't need streaming, video editing" to just "streaming, editing - 0"? because that's basically the same thing...
" If you want help with a build fill this out AND try making one of your own from the resources in the OP :)"

I don't mean to be annoying but a lot of people come in and just say "build me a PC"... the idea is that you use the resources in the OP to come up with a build (use one of the templates and adjust where necessary) and then we can critique it/help.

kennah

" If you want help with a build fill this out AND try making one of your own from the resources in the OP :)"

I don't mean to be annoying but a lot of people come in and just say "build me a PC"... the idea is that you use the resources in the OP to come up with a build (use one of the templates and adjust where necessary) and then we can critique it/help.

I think he wants someone to actually put it together for him.

NYM9N-KRXJQ-Y0DFB

Motherboards is where I'm a bit out of my depth. I pretty much have no idea what I'm looking at here. Again, is this a good board? Should I go for something cheaper? All I know is ASUS has a good reputation and it's compatible with the RAM and CPU I picked out.

CPU: Right now I can't really decide between the i5-4460 and the i5-4690. The latter is only 0.3 GHz faster so I'm wondering if the difference is really worth the extra 30 bucks.

That motherboard is good but you don't need a Z97 if you aren't going to overclock. I would keep that motherboard and get a K cpu though. (overclockable) It will cost you a bit more but will have quite a longer life.

I don't mean to be annoying but a lot of people come in and just say "build me a PC"... the idea is that you use the resources in the OP to make a mock build (use one of the templates), and then we can critique it/adjust it where necessary.

because i don't understand technicalities?

if i did, i wouldn't come here to ask for someone to build me a pc.

i don't understand the minute differences between cpus, besides the basic stuff like speed.

or the differences between motherboards, or the variants of the 970.

i get the basic ideas and concepts, doesn't mean i can just pick out a cpu out of the dozens in the parts list.

how would i know if this certain i5 plus this certain 970 would meet my goals of 1080p 60 fps? i clearly stated what i want from a pc on my post.

1080p 60 fps, single monitor, no ssd, no other crap like video editing, i can live without ultra settings, possible for upgrade like the future amd hbm gpu. built around the 970, as cheap as possible but ceiling is $1000 canadian. deadline asap. basically a gaming rig, exclusively for playing games.

if you are asking me to make a mock build then that would be pointless since i don't really know how to build one. i will be picking out something without sufficient knowledge. i might be picking out parts that i *think* is good but would actually be bad, regressive, or just doesn't make any sense for the build itself.

kennah

i don't understand the minute differences between cpus, besides the basic stuff like speed.

i get the basic ideas and concepts, doesn't mean i can just pick out a cpu out of the dozens in the parts list.

how would i know if this certain i5 plus this certain 970 would meet my goals of 1080p 60 fps? i clearly stated what i want from a pc on my post.

1080p 60 fps, single monitor, no ssd, no other crap like video editing, i can live without ultra settings, possible for upgrade like the future amd hbm gpu. built around the 970, as cheap as possible but ceiling is $1000 canadian. deadline asap. basically a gaming rig, exclusively for playing games.

if you are asking me to make a mock build then that would be pointless since i don't really know how to build one. i will be picking out something without sufficient knowledge. i might be picking out parts that i *think* is good but would actually be bad, regressive, or just doesn't make any sense for the build itself.
He's not trying to be mean. The builds in the OP are already curated for people just like you. They show the different builds at different price points. Now, being in Canada expect to pay 20-50% more for equivalent parts because of the US dollar, import regulations and taxes.

Is that $1000 with taxes? Are you going to attempt to assemble it yourself or will you be needing it to be assembled (that will add 50-200 to the cost depending on where you get your parts). Where exactly in Canada are you?

FLD

That motherboard is good but you don't need a Z97 if you aren't going to overclock. I would keep that motherboard and get a K cpu though. (overclockable) It will cost you a bit more but will have quite a longer life.

Thanks for the reply. That's really tempting but I'm not sure about overclocking. Plus, looking at the 4690K, that puts me a bit outside of my budget. I think I'll look for another board for now. Any recommendations?

edit: Actually, looking at the numbers a bit more closely, I could probably make the Z97 and a 4690K work!

stabi

Neo Member
Hi guys, this might be a long post.

I've just built my pc close to the "haz excellent build" from the thread

I've got
motherboard: gigabyte z97 ud5h
gpu: sapphire r9 280x tri oc
psu: antec bp550

but the gpu is not detected by my computer. All I get in device management is the standard vga

First about power, I've connected the pcie 6+2 pin cable from the PSU to the GPU as well as the 6 pin power cable which has a red side on it. Is that right ? On the second cable there's nothing that mention PCI-E as it does on the 6+2 pin cable, so I wonder if that step is correct...
With a lack on instructions on the manual, I decided to use the red 6 pin cable from the PSU to connect to the GPU because it fitted (even though the GPU actually has two 8pin slots) and because above the red slot on the PSU, there is written PCIE
Then I read on the internet that it's okay to connect to the r9 with a 6+2 pcie pin + a 6 pin (and not using the whole available 8). Not sure of that though.

question: are pcie cable inherently different from other power cables ?

When I boot the pc, the fan of the gpu are spinning, the sapphire logo is lighted but I don't get any other led to turn green. The GPU is not recognized but I can use the onboard graphics

I also tried a diferent combination where I replaced the 6 pin cable with a 8 pin to molex delivered with the GPU and connected it to a "hdd" (?) slot on the PSU.
If I do this, there's a additional light on the GPU that turns green (so it seems good?) but then my screen is black whether I use the GPU hdmi output or the onboard vga/hdmi outputs.

Another question at this point:
I've tried to set up the GPU in PCIE16 and PCIE8 without success in both.

Do I need to do something in the bios? The onboard graphic is enabled but it also has an option to look in PCIE slot 1 (i supect that the 16x?) if anything connected.
Maybe on last thing I need to check is:
- gpu unplug, go into the bios and disable the onboard.
- plug the gpu as I did the second time (where there's the green light) and reboot.
I've tried that with the first connection setup (red connector) without success and to get back to at least the onboard graphics worlking, i need to clr_mos

Windows side, I tried to install drivers I don't know how many times without success
But I get the impression that since the gpu is not even detected, it won't allow me.

Anyone got this kind of issue ?
Or has a detailed step by step install process (with pictures for connectivity!) I could related to?
I don't have any other material/PC to test things to tell from which hardware the issue is coming.

Though at this point, I suspect connections to psu could be the issue since I don't get green led on the gpu when using the first setup and I get a green led but a black screen using the second setup

thanks

This could be a good starting point for you, then try to shave costs where you can. I would still recommend an ssd though, at least for overall speediness of the os.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($257.70 @ DirectCanada)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($33.98 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($112.50 @ Vuugo)
Memory: Team Zeus Yellow 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($78.48 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($408.89 @ DirectCanada)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($37.50 @ Vuugo)
Power Supply: Rosewill 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $994.03
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-18 12:25 EST-0500

He's not trying to be mean. The builds in the OP are already curated for people just like you. They show the different builds at different price points. Now, being in Canada expect to pay 20-50% more for equivalent parts because of the US dollar, import regulations and taxes.

Is that $1000 with taxes? Are you going to attempt to assemble it yourself or will you be needing it to be assembled (that will add 50-200 to the cost depending on where you get your parts). Where exactly in Canada are you?

we have ncix and memoryexpress here, no? i remember seeing a pcpartspicker list canada website.

yeah with taxes. assembling it with a friend. alberta, so no provincial sales tax (yet, until we see oil prices plummet further into oblivion).

again, just need a good 970 and cpu for 1080p 60 fps. i know 970s cost around ~$400 canadian. don't need a fancy case as well, something that has good airflow is nice.

in fact, i underclocked my laptop cpu (or at least put a ceiling on the cpu usage through power options) because the my very first laptop motherboard got fried for overheating.

kennah

we have ncix and memoryexpress here, no? i remember seeing a pcpartspicker list canada website.

yeah with taxes. assembling it with a friend. alberta, so no provincial sales tax (yet, until we see oil prices plummet further into oblivion).

again, just need a good 970 and cpu for 1080p 60 fps. i know 970s cost around ~$400 canadian. don't need a fancy case as well, something that has good airflow is nice.

in fact, i underclocked my laptop cpu (or at least put a ceiling on the cpu usage through power options) because the my very first laptop motherboard got fried for overheating.

The build above is solid. Basically you want any Z97 board, a 4670K and any 970. The rest can be personal preference. It's really hard to screw up these days because even shitty stuff is still very good (as long as you stick to the guidelines above)

Thanks for the reply. That's really tempting but I'm not sure about overclocking. Plus, looking at the 4690K, that puts me a bit outside of my budget. I think I'll look for another board for now. Any recommendations?

edit: Actually, looking at the numbers a bit more closely, I could probably make the Z97 and a 4690K work!

Any H97 should do, the ASRock H97M from the first page is good enough but it will be worth it should you decide for the 4690K/Z97 combo. Overclocking nowadays is easy and far from dangerous.

isny

napkin dispenser
Hmm, would someone be able to help point me in the direction of steps to DL a windows 8 install?

Bought a new laptop HD, tried cloning it but the cloning software didn't work, so I figure it'll be easiest to just install a fresh copy of Windows 8 on the new HD and go from there. I have the key for my install that came with the laptop, but it didn't come with any media for installing windows, they want to charge me $20 for the media.

Or even just some help as to how to make the install disc once I manage to find the files needed to install Windows. Kind of completely in the dark here. I've installed windows before from a disc purchased from them, but not sure how to create a disc if I manage to come up with the image files. Any help would be appreciated.

Ok so. Instead of building a new rig i dropped a R9 290 into my old one. Have a question about overclocking for you folks in PC GAF.

Is 1100/1300 safe for the R9 290? during fire strike my gpu peaked at 66C (cpu peaked at 74C) - are my temps safe for both?

Score 9581 with a 3570k@4.2ghz and the 1100/1300 clocks on the new card
Score 8600 with stock card clocks. Are these good results and is my overclock safe?
Heaven benched @ 1100/1300 clocks as well, max gpu temp 67C.
i8QMdftbbD5fp.png

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Decided to jump on the storage train and bought:
I think the OP says these are decent? $160 after tax, so I was pretty pleased. That will give me 1.9 TB of storage.

Question on how an SSD works...Do I use it primarily for my OS and games? The 1TB drive is specifically for all of my media. I figured I'd put Steam on the SSD and load/run games from there?

Decided to jump on the storage train and bought:
I think the OP says these are decent? $160 after tax, so I was pretty pleased. That will give me 1.9 TB of storage.

Question on how an SSD works...Do I use it primarily for my OS and games? The 1TB drive is specifically for all of my media. I figured I'd put Steam on the SSD and load/run games from there?

You would use the SSD for your OS and your most frequently used apps. MOST games you can install to the storage drive fine, save some wear and tear on the SSD. If its a game you play daily (an MMO for example) you can install it on the SSD to massively improve load times.

You can put steam on the SSD, and create a steam library folder on the storage drive. Then, when installing a program youd be given a choice whether to install to the steam folder (SSD) or the steam library on the other drive.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
You would use the SSD for your OS and your most frequently used apps. MOST games you can install to the storage drive fine, save some wear and tear on the SSD. If its a game you play daily (an MMO for example) you can install it on the SSD to massively improve load times.

You can put steam on the SSD, and create a steam library folder on the storage drive. Then, when installing a program youd be given a choice whether to install to the steam folder (SSD) or the steam library on the other drive.

Cool, thanks. I'll probably do exactly that - pick and choose.

1. Yes, a lot of manufacturers have enabled overclocking for non Z series motherboards. H97 can also overclock the G3258. Technically lower end non-Z series motherboards may not be as well equipped/designed for overclocking, but others have reported good overclocking results on even H81 and B85 motherboards.

2. That's weird. I think something odd happened and the prices weren't updated. I chose the EVGA SC ACX 2.0 because it costs $340 and has a factory overclock of 1.17 GHz. The Asus Strix currently costs $349 and has a factory overclock of just 1.11 GHz, that means the Asus model is $10 more expensive and just slightly slower.

I am unsure about the silent fan mode. The FTW version of the EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0 has silent fan mode, it is unclear if this SC version does or does not. You can go back to the Asus model, I guess, but for the same price I recommend this MSI GTX 970 for $349 which also has silent fan mode for sure and a factory overclock of 1.14 GHz.

3. Yeah, mITX limits you to a single graphics card. No chance of going SLI or Crossfire. Depending on how efficient graphics cards are in the future, you may want to get the 600 watt power supply instead, that will be your decision. Unconfirmed benchmarking of next generation graphics card power consumption shows that they will be pretty efficient, but it might be safer to go with 600 watts anyway.

4. You're quite welcome.

5. You may want to opt for water cooler with such compact cases. They will perform better than compact Noctua air coolers, I think. The Noctua NH-L12 costs $67 while the Cooler Master Seidon 120V is $50 and should fit.. not sure about internal component clearance as I'm not too familiar with Silverstone's mITX cases. I know Noctuas are designed to be quiet, but the Noctua's fans may have to spin faster and louder to be able to deal with the heat of overclocking. From reading reviews of the NH-L12, I sort of doubt if it can handle overclocking well.
2. I'll look at some more comprehensive reviews to see if the silent fan mode on the MSI 970 is actually 0rpm/0db and if so I'll consider the switch, although every card iver ever bought had been an ASUS without problems for years, you could say I have a soft spot for that brand.

3. Single GPU builds are my only builds, after i dabbled with dual 7950GX2's in QUAD-SLi, I learned my lesson of not depending on drivers to catch up to multiple GPU setups, and not deal with the heat, power, space, meh...

5.I'll certainly do some digging on this front, there are SOME people who've gotten some closed water-blocks to work, possibly even a THIN dual RAD with thin or exterior mounted fans on the 2 fan-ports by the GPU, others have successfully fit a THIN single rad for the CPU. I'll certainly consider the CPU as itll be in there for the long run, the CPU would require an expensive custom water-block solution so i'll opt out of that for now.

Thanks again! your wisdom is much appreciated by me and my friend!

ricki42

I tried recreating that in pcpartpicker:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor (£149.15 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£61.16 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 Memory (£55.17 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£33.54 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 280 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card (£149.14 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£57.35 @ Scan.co.uk)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN881ND 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter (£9.79 @ CCL Computers)
Other: Corsair VS 650W (£52.50)
Total: £567.80
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-18 20:40 GMT+0000

I obviously don't know all the exact parts, so I just went with something cheap.
Depending on whether (and where) you need to buy Windows, you can get the parts a lot cheaper.
Also, for not much more you could get a better CPU, and get 2 x 4 GB RAM rather than 1 x 8 GB.

Mekh

Neo Member
I tried recreating that in pcpartpicker:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor (£149.15 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£61.16 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 Memory (£55.17 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£33.54 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 280 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card (£149.14 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£57.35 @ Scan.co.uk)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN881ND 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter (£9.79 @ CCL Computers)
Other: Corsair VS 650W (£52.50)
Total: £567.80
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-18 20:40 GMT+0000

I obviously don't know all the exact parts, so I just went with something cheap.
Depending on whether (and where) you need to buy Windows, you can get the parts a lot cheaper.
Also, for not much more you could get a better CPU, and get 2 x 4 GB RAM rather than 1 x 8 GB.
Thanks and Could you tell me which GPU is better
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 2GB or AMD Radeon R9 280 3GB

RGM79

Or even just some help as to how to make the install disc once I manage to find the files needed to install Windows. Kind of completely in the dark here. I've installed windows before from a disc purchased from them, but not sure how to create a disc if I manage to come up with the image files. Any help would be appreciated.

http://www.howtogeek.com/186775/how-to-download-windows-7-8-and-8.1-installation-media-legally/

Alright, GAF. I could really use some advice here. I was saving up for a PS4 but, looking at prices, I figure I could probably get away with a partial PC upgrade for essentially the same price. All I really need for now is a new CPU, motherboard and RAM. Everything else can wait.

Problem is, as far as hardware goes, I'm not that knowledgeable. I've put together my current rig myself and I know what to look out for as far as picking compatible parts goes, but I don't really follow tech websites and such. So, beyond looking at newegg reviews and such, I'm a bit out of the loop.

This is a build intended for gaming. My current GPU is dated (Radeon HD 6970) but I can't really afford to upgrade it right away. Needless to say, I'm on a budget and I'd be glad to shave off a few bucks here and there, if at all possible. If you guys can recommend better alternatives for the same price or cheaper, by all means do!

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (1x8GB) Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

Haven't really given this one too much though. Corsair is good, right? Would you guys say this is a good pick? Main reason I went for it was I wanted 8GB and it was a single stick, which leaves more room to add more in the future.

What's your overall budget, and what are your current specs?

Hi guys, this might be a long post.

I've just built my pc close to the "haz excellent build" from the thread

I've got
motherboard: gigabyte z97 ud5h
gpu: sapphire r9 280x tri oc
psu: antec bp550

but the gpu is not detected by my computer. All I get in device management is the standard vga

First about power, I've connected the pcie 6+2 pin cable from the PSU to the GPU as well as the 6 pin power cable which has a red side on it. Is that right ? On the second cable there's nothing that mention PCI-E as it does on the 6+2 pin cable, so I wonder if that step is correct...
With a lack on instructions on the manual, I decided to use the red 6 pin cable from the PSU to connect to the GPU because it fitted (even though the GPU actually has two 8pin slots) and because above the red slot on the PSU, there is written PCIE
Then I read on the internet that it's okay to connect to the r9 with a 6+2 pcie pin + a 6 pin (and not using the whole available 8). Not sure of that though.

question: are pcie cable inherently different from other power cables ?

When I boot the pc, the fan of the gpu are spinning, the sapphire logo is lighted but I don't get any other led to turn green. The GPU is not recognized but I can use the onboard graphics

I also tried a diferent combination where I replaced the 6 pin cable with a 8 pin to molex delivered with the GPU and connected it to a "hdd" (?) slot on the PSU.
If I do this, there's a additional light on the GPU that turns green (so it seems good?) but then my screen is black whether I use the GPU hdmi output or the onboard vga/hdmi outputs.

Another question at this point:
I've tried to set up the GPU in PCIE16 and PCIE8 without success in both.

Do I need to do something in the bios? The onboard graphic is enabled but it also has an option to look in PCIE slot 1 (i supect that the 16x?) if anything connected.
Maybe on last thing I need to check is:
- gpu unplug, go into the bios and disable the onboard.
- plug the gpu as I did the second time (where there's the green light) and reboot.
I've tried that with the first connection setup (red connector) without success and to get back to at least the onboard graphics worlking, i need to clr_mos

Windows side, I tried to install drivers I don't know how many times without success
But I get the impression that since the gpu is not even detected, it won't allow me.

Anyone got this kind of issue ?
Or has a detailed step by step install process (with pictures for connectivity!) I could related to?
I don't have any other material/PC to test things to tell from which hardware the issue is coming.

Though at this point, I suspect connections to psu could be the issue since I don't get green led on the gpu when using the first setup and I get a green led but a black screen using the second setup

thanks

Sounds like you've installed it properly. I don't suppose you could show us a photo or two of the inside of your PC for us to double check power connections?

stabi

Neo Member
Sounds like you've installed it properly. I don't suppose you could show us a photo or two of the inside of your PC for us to double check power connections?

I was going to do so this evening I think, when I'm back home

I'm trying to find a DVI analog+digital cable so I can alos test that
There's no VGA output on that radeon and I'm not sure HDMI can output anything when drivers are not there yet

RGM79

Kezen

Banned
Thanks and Could you tell me which GPU is better
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 2GB or AMD Radeon R9 280 3GB

The 280 is a much better investment IMO and this is coming from a longtime Geforce owner. The 280 will have longer legs especially in compute.

FLD

What's your overall budget, and what are your current specs?

Well, I already ordered lol. Wanted to do it asap in hopes of getting it before christmas. I ended up going with the Z97, i5-4690K and the same RAM I mentioned. Was slightly overbudget but not by much.

RGM79

Well, I already ordered lol. Wanted to do it asap in hopes of getting it before christmas. I ended up going with the Z97, i5-4690K and the same RAM I mentioned. Was slightly overbudget but not by much.

Oh well, the parts look fine. I'm a bit late with replies when I wake up.

RGM79

Those little rubber teeth make cable management SO much easier.

On topic!

Best <$300 GPU? My brother is building a new PC and wants to know.

The R9 290 can be had for under $250 after rebate before taxes, and is the next best thing to get if he can't afford a GTX 970, in terms of price to performance. It's not too far behind the GTX 970.

Gigabyte R9 290 for $240 after $30 mail in rebate

Asus R9 290 for $247 after $30 mail in rebate

I think the Gigabyte model has a better but potentially louder cooler.

The R9 290 can be had for under $250 after rebate before taxes, and is the best thing to get if he can't afford a GTX 970.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-video-card-r9290aedfd

This XFX is the one i ended up going with personally, it costs about $30 more, but all of the searching i did online suggested that this card ran cooler than most and quieter than nearly all of the other R9 290s on the market. At 100% fan speed its still tolerable, at 50% speed you can barely hear it.

EDIT: nobody responded to my overclocking question earlier about this card =/

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

This XFX is the one i ended up going with personally, it costs about $30 more, but all of the searching i did online suggested that this card ran cooler than most and quieter than nearly all of the other R9 290s on the market. At 100% fan speed its still tolerable, at 50% speed you can barely hear it.

The R9 290 can be had for under $250 after rebate before taxes, and is the next best thing to get if he can't afford a GTX 970, in terms of price to performance. It's not too far behind the GTX 970.

Thanks guys - he's going to get the R9 290 it sounds like. :)

RGM79

Sorry, missed your earlier post, somehow. I got caught up answering a bunch of others. About overclocking, it's hard to know what the limits of your card is because you didn't mention what manufacturer or specific model. Reference R9 290 models have poor coolers that won't allow you to overclock very well, for example.

Now we know you have the XFX Double Dissipation model..

Review source - CPU clock/memory clock

Legit Reviews - 1100/1350
Hardware Canucks - 1277/1401? (mentioned to be exceptionally well performing sample, unsure about memory clock)
LanOC Reviews - 1110/1575 (unsure about memory clock)
Play3r - 1105/1400

A core clock of 1100 MHz should be safe enough to be stable. You may be able to bump up the memory to 1350 MHz, so give that a try. Maximum temperatures of 74 degrees on the CPU and 67 degrees on the GPU is quite safe, I'd only be worried if they were 70-80 degrees or higher, or if they were running that hot for a very long time.

This could be a good starting point for you, then try to shave costs where you can. I would still recommend an ssd though, at least for overall speediness of the os.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($257.70 @ DirectCanada)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($33.98 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($112.50 @ Vuugo)
Memory: Team Zeus Yellow 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($78.48 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($408.89 @ DirectCanada)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($37.50 @ Vuugo)
Power Supply: Rosewill 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $994.03
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-18 12:25 EST-0500

thank you.

i noticed the mobo being a micro atx. isn't that for a smaller-sized tower? are there any drawbacks like heat and/or airflow or not really? probably not, since it'll be a single standard setup.

also, this is probably dumb to ask but wifi is available from the get-go with this setup, right? or do i need a wifi usb adapter?

i honestly thought this will be cheaper, buy holy smokes an i5-4690k and 970 setup runs in the 1000-dollar range.

Widdla

Neo Member
Can anyone help me out with an issue I'm having with my monitor/video card?

I built a new PC with an Nvidia GTX770 and an ASUS PA248Q monitor http://www.amazon.com/PA248Q-24-Inch-LED-Lit-Professional-Graphics/dp/B008DWH00K

The issue is screen tearing. Whenever there's fast movement on screen, whether it's a game or a video on youtube, screen tearing occurs.

I found a video saying to go into the Nvidia control panel, manage 3D settings, and change vertical sync to adaptive. I did that, but nothing changed.

I was using a Displayport cable, and I switched to HDMI. No change. Yes, I plugged the HDMI directly into the graphics card, not the mobo.

It's the worst when there's a lot of movement in a video. Like these continuous shots: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaAx3kwQ630

It's driving me nuts. Not sure what to do. Help? Thanks

knitoe

Can anyone help me out with an issue I'm having with my monitor/video card?

I built a new PC with an Nvidia GTX770 and an ASUS PA248Q monitor http://www.amazon.com/PA248Q-24-Inch-LED-Lit-Professional-Graphics/dp/B008DWH00K

The issue is screen tearing. Whenever there's fast movement on screen, whether it's a game or a video on youtube, screen tearing occurs.

I found a video saying to go into the Nvidia control panel, manage 3D settings, and change vertical sync to adaptive. I did that, but nothing changed.

I was using a Displayport cable, and I switched to HDMI. No change. Yes, I plugged the HDMI directly into the graphics card, not the mobo.

It's the worst when there's a lot of movement in a video. Like these continuous shots: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaAx3kwQ630

It's driving me nuts. Not sure what to do. Help? Thanks
Are running the correct refresh rate? Tried plugging in and using the MB graphics to rule out bad video card?

Widdla

Neo Member
There's only one refresh rate option--60hz.

I just went into the bios, switched to iGPU for integrated graphics, and the problem is just as bad-- maybe worse? So I guess it's not a graphics card issue.

knitoe

There's only one refresh rate option--60hz.

I just went into the bios, switched to iGPU for integrated graphics, and the problem is just as bad-- maybe worse? So I guess it's not a graphics card issue.
I am leaning to problem with the monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom