• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Quick rundown before I confuse the hell out of you.

GTX 670/680/770 = Kepler Mid Tier Chip
GTX Titan/780 Ti/780 = Kepler Big Daddy Chip

GTX 970/980/?1060? = Maxwell Mid Tier Chip
GTX Titan X/?980Ti?/?1080? = Maxwell Big Daddy

If this trend continues, you're looking at either the Pascal Big Daddy or whatever-follows-Pascal Mid Tier as the card that will do 4K@60 in most games.

So, like the GTX 1280 or 1380/1370, if naming conventions were to remain the same.

Isn't the chip used in the 970/980 the whole thing?
That's why people are speculating that nVidia is not going to drop a new series on Maxwell and jump straight to Pascal.

BadHand

Can somebody tell me if $399 is a good deal for a refurb desktop+monitor?

This was an in-store demo unit, it was on demo between November 2014 and March 2015. It will be used mainly used by my wife for school work and web browsing, maybe some casual gaming (nothing intensive) so I don't specs would be a problem.

Intel Core i5 4590
8 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 635
1 TB HDD
Windows 8.1 64 Bit

HP 23bw - 23" LED Monitor (Looks dusty and is covered in finger prints but is otherwise in good condition).

It comes with standard warranty, but I'm wondering if anyone would advise against demo units?

Thanks,

mkenyon

Banned
Isn't the chip used in the 970/980 the whole thing?
That's why people are speculating that nVidia is not going to drop a new series on Maxwell and jump straight to Pascal.

970/980 = GM204 = Mid Tier Maxwell
Titan X/??980Ti??/??1080?? = GM200 = Big Daddy Maxwell

The only question is, when they come out with the cut down Titan X/GM200 part, like they did with the Kepler Titan, are they going to refresh the entire lineup of cards with a relaunch.

Kepler gets released = 680 top dog, 670 slightly cut down 680. Titan comes out. Titan cut down comes out and is released as the 780 Ti and 780, the 680 gets rebranded as the GTX 770.

So, if history were to repeat itself, cut down Titan X = 1080, 980 = 1070.
Damn really, 2018 for a $600-$750 card to do 4k 60fps?
Well, the cut down Pascal Titan equivalent (their big daddy chip on Pascal architecture) won't be out for 2.5-3ish years. So yeah. And that might not even do 60 FPS @ 4K, which is why I was saying the mid tier of what-comes-after-pascal might be the card that does it. Which would be like the GTX 1380 or 1280 depending on what they do with naming conventions over the next few years.

Acrylic7

Has anyone purchased Windows 7 and 8, or any other software keys from Reddit? Are they legit?
$40 for windows 7 and Office seems too good to be true.

cyen

Has anyone purchased Windows 7 and 8, or any other software keys from Reddit? Are they legit?
$40 for windows 7 and Office seems too good to be true.

Bought 2 windows 8 keys and an office key and the 3 are still working without any problem.

I'm finally doing it now that funds have actually landed.

But...I need help since over the year there's been a lot of changes and some big games on the horizon influencing things.

So, for the Q&A:

Current Specs: See list below
Budget: $1700-1800 is my ceiling range. A little less will be welcome as I still need a KB and chair.
Main Use: Gaming (5), Video Editing (possible 2), Streaming games in HD (2), General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback) (5)
Monitor Resolution: 1080p is fine with me for the next year or so.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: I want to run The Witcher 3 on smoothly on Ultra. I suppose the rest of the ducks are in a row after that lol
When will you build?: This month
Will you be overclocking?: Eventually, if it's worth it.

Now, the list as it was unaltered:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($324.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Z87 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($104.00 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($132.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($132.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Superclocked ACX Video Card
Case: Rosewill THOR V2-W ATX Full Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: Corsair 760W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.49 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.95 @ OutletPC)
Sound Card: Asus Xonar Essence STX 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card ($169.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($249.99 @ Micro Center)
Total: $1542.27
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-01 18:01 EDT-0400

Now, couple of things I want to touch on:

• The GPU is no longer in production AFAIK, which is ok since I plan on picking up the 980 when it drops. In the meantime, I'll be using an Asus gtx660 that I'm salvaging from my old PC as a temporary solution until the 980 is received.
  • I'm having some hesitation on the water cooler. I hear this one is very reliable, but if something goes wrong that can be pretty bad. Is it recommended for me to keep it on here, or should I get an air cooling unit?
  • I have the 4770k on here, but i've seen a lot of recent builds on GAF rocking what I belive was the 4790. Which is preferable, and will the MOBO have to be changed to suit the 4790 if it wins out?
  • Back to the water cooler, it does work with the Thor case, albeit with some adjustments that don't affect anything.

I appreciate any feedback. Let's finally get this thing done and over with.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Motherboards and PSUs, when they go bad, are really hard to diagnose. They might sometimes work partially, and then weird out at other times when a certain part is under load.

In any case, you should get a different PSU because a CX750M isn't a great one. You have over $600 in GPUs, you need to get your power right.

Fair enough. I ordered a new mobo that is coming in tomorrow.

Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK (Black Edition) Motherboard Core i7/i5/i3 LGA1150 Intel Z97 Express ATX RAID Gigabit LAN

Seemed decent enough.

Any suggestions on a power supply?

I'm finally doing it now that funds have actually landed.

But...I need help since over the year there's been a lot of changes and some big games on the horizon influencing things.

So, for the Q&A:

Current Specs: See list below
Budget: $1700-1800 is my ceiling range. A little less will be welcome as I still need a KB and chair.
Main Use: Gaming (5), Video Editing (possible 2), Streaming games in HD (2), General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback) (5)
Monitor Resolution: 1080p is fine with me for the next year or so.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: I want to run The Witcher 3 on smoothly on Ultra. I suppose the rest of the ducks are in a row after that lol
When will you build?: This month
Will you be overclocking?: Eventually, if it's worth it.

Now, the list as it was unaltered:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($324.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Z87 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($104.00 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($132.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($132.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Superclocked ACX Video Card
Power Supply: Corsair 760W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.49 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.95 @ OutletPC)
Sound Card: Asus Xonar Essence STX 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card ($169.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1542.27
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-01 18:01 EDT-0400

Now, couple of things I want to touch on:

• The GPU is no longer in production AFAIK, which is ok since I plan on picking up the 980 when it drops. In the meantime, I'll be using an Asus gtx660 that I'm salvaging from my old PC as a temporary solution until the 980 is received.
  • I'm having some hesitation on the water cooler. I hear this one is very reliable, but if something goes wrong that can be pretty bad. Is it recommended for me to keep it on here, or should I get an air cooling unit?
  • I have the 4770k on here, but i've seen a lot of recent builds on GAF rocking what I belive was the 4790. Which is preferable, and will the MOBO have to be changed to suit the 4790 if it wins out?
  • Back to the water cooler, it does work with the Thor case, albeit with some adjustments that don't affect anything.

I appreciate any feedback. Let's finally get this thing done and over with.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($224.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($103.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($98.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($72.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: XFX Core Edition 850W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($101.08 @ Newegg)
Total: $979.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-01 18:31 EDT-0400

• Well, seeing that you mostly game with light use of video editing, I say a i7 is not worth it. So I put in an i5 4690K, which should be good enough.
  • Why do you want a watercooler exactly? That line of CPU doesn't generate so much heat that it needs one. A cheap air like the 212 is good enough for decent OC to 4.5 GHz easily.
  • I swapped your ram for 16 GBs, as GTA5 has been using significantly more RAM than other games, I think it's about time too.
  • I swapped your HD for a MX100 and a Toshiba 2TB. The EVO 840 has that issue and that black drive is loud + expensive.
  • I dropped the graphics card for now, pick a 980 or better yet the incoming 980ti or whatever AMD is going to launch later.
  • I swapped the mobo for a newer one.
  • I switch the PSU for a XFX 850W for SLI later which is much better than your current one. But you can go for a much cheaper 550-600W if you don't plan to SLI.
  • Do you have a high end sound system? if not, you do not need a sound card.
  • I dropped the dvd drive as you don't really need one nowadays.
  • I dropped OS too, as you can buy it cheaper from Reddit.

Anyway. With all that money saved, a powerful GPU is gonna do you much better gaming wise.

Fair enough. I ordered a new mobo that is coming in tomorrow.

Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK (Black Edition) Motherboard Core i7/i5/i3 LGA1150 Intel Z97 Express ATX RAID Gigabit LAN

Seemed decent enough.

Any suggestions on a power supply?

Are you in the US? If yes, the PSU I chose for the build above is a very good one.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($224.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($103.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($98.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($72.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: XFX Core Edition 850W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($101.08 @ Newegg)
Total: $979.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-01 18:31 EDT-0400

• Well, seeing that you mostly game with light use of video editing, I say a i7 is not worth it. So I put in an i5 4690K, which should be good enough.
  • Why do you want a watercooler exactly? That line of CPU doesn't generate so much heat that it needs one. A cheap air like the 212 is good enough for decent OC to 4.5 GHz easily.
  • I swapped your ram for 16 GBs, as GTA5 has been using significantly more RAM than other games, I think it's about time too.
  • I swapped your HD for a MX100 and a Toshiba 2TB. The EVO 840 has that issue and that black drive is loud + expensive.
  • I dropped the graphics card for now, pick a 980 or better yet the incoming 980ti or whatever AMD is going to launch later.
  • I swapped the mobo for a newer one.
  • I switch the PSU for a XFX 850W for SLI later which is much better than your current one. But you can go for a much cheaper 550-600W if you don't plan to SLI.
  • Do you have a high end sound system? if not, you do not need a sound card.
  • I dropped the dvd drive as you don't really need one nowadays.
  • I dropped OS too, as you can buy it cheaper from Reddit.

Anyway. With all that money saved, a powerful GPU is gonna do you much better gaming wise.

That looks pretty great. And as far as the CPU goes, I was thinking of expanding into 3D modeling and such, but I'm not sure I have the time right now to do so as I had planned back then.

And no, just a set of head phones for now. I was probably going to cut out the sound card anyway.

A lot of this was just taking from builds I had seen elsewhere and throwing things together. So no real rhyme or reason outside of just wanting to have a computer that I won't be switching parts out of every year or two.

Thanks for the feedback!

RGM79

About RAM, I have 4GB (2x2GB) in, in case I want to add more, I know buying the same exact model would be the best thing to do, but I bought these 5 years ago, and I can't find the same exact model anymore. If I buy something with the samre freqs, timings and anything else, it shouldn't be much of a problem right?

I found these http://www.amazon.it/dp/B004HZE7H6/

that seems to be an exact match if not for a couple of letters in the model number.

Generally speaking, you should be fine with any 1600MHz CL9 RAM kit. Technically you don't even need to match speed or latency - if you have mismatching speeds the motherboard will have it all set at the same speed, and different latency doesn't really make a difference. Still, sometimes RAM compatibility can be finicky as not all RAM is exactly the same and has slightly different due to manufacturing. It's just easiest to recommend rebuying the same or similar RAM kit of what you already have installed.

Hey guys, I'm looking to buy a new PC. It's been a while but I'm looking forward to it. I have to say that it's hard for me to build one since there's so many things out there.

First and foremost: I want to game on this. This thing needs to run The Witcher 3 on 60+ FPS, cranked all the way up. GTA V as well. Secondly, I want to do some video editing in After Effects as well (non-video game editing). I need an i7 for this I think? Or is RAM more important (16GB)?

I more or less know what I want to put inside my PC. But there's so much out there, I can't pick...

My budget is around €1200. Desktop only.

Things I can help with:

Graphics card needs to be a GTX970. I think this might be enough to run The Witcher 3 at highest settings, no?

1440p resolution (I think). I don't think I'll be gaming in 1080p anymore. But this isn't a huge issue. I'm still pleased with 1080p.

16GB of RAM. I just want to future proof this thing.

250GB SSD. This is a must. A 1TB HDD is too.

Mostly I just want this thing to last at least a year without upgrades.

What country are you in?

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Generally speaking, you should be fine with any 1600MHz CL9 RAM kit. Technically you don't even need to match speed or latency - if you have mismatching speeds the motherboard will have it all set at the same speed, and different latency doesn't really make a difference. Still, sometimes RAM compatibility can be finicky as not all RAM is exactly the same and has slightly different due to manufacturing. It's just easiest to recommend rebuying the same or similar RAM kit of what you already have installed.
Good to know.

OBias

What kind of minimum specs do I need to be ready for Vive or Oculus Rift CV? Do I need the top of the line CPU, or something like AMD FX 8300 is fine? Are two R9 290 in Crossfire will be good enough for most gaming and non-gaming VR software?

Finally ordered this Freesync monitor. It doesn't have a great variable refresh window, but I wanted IPS, Freesync, greater than 60Hz, and 21:9 so compromises had to be made.

This one is IPS (99% RGB), Freesync (48-75Hz range), and 21:9 (2560 x 1080 at 29" diagonal so it's not so big that 1080 is as big of an eyesore) with 5ms GTG response time.

Did I make a terrible mistake?

yami4ct

Just remembered a quick little detail/question I forgot to post when I put up my last build. One of my big things I want to be able to do even better on my next PC is running emulators, specifically Dolphin. My current PC can barely handle Xenoblade+High-Res Textures and barely any res boost while keeping a stable frame rate. What parts is Dolphin specifically hard on on? Is something that will run perfectly fine on my theoretical 4690k/GTX 970 build, or should I invest the extra cash and upgrade one of those?

Omega

Banned
While gaming, my cpu temp is ~70-75 degrees with a stock cooler. Not that great but do i have to worry about my cpu dying any time soon?

Reckoner

Finally ordered this Freesync monitor. It doesn't have a great variable refresh window, but I wanted IPS, Freesync, greater than 60Hz, and 21:9 so compromises had to be made.

This one is IPS (99% RGB), Freesync (48-75Hz range), and 21:9 (2560 x 1080 at 29" diagonal so it's not so big that 1080 is as big of an eyesore) with 5ms GTG response time.

Did I make a terrible mistake?

It depends. It's a good monitor, but the small freesync window and ghosting problems would put me off. If you can live with that, then it's fine.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
So I went for a 1000w. Probably overkill but I'm sick of having problems.

EVGA Supernova 1000 WATT G1 ATX Power Supply 120-G1-1000-VR

Mine01

Hi guys, im about to build a new pc for a friend, something ago i saw a program, im think i saw it here that was for new pcs, it was a program that installed like 30 other utilities, ccleaner and stuff like that, does anyone know what im talking about?

Hi guys

I built my tonight. However, when I power it on, everything turns on (fans, GPU fans, heatsink fan), but the computer will not post. No system beeps, no nothing.

Help would be greatly appreciated!

Neonglitz

Banned
Can somebody tell me if $399 is a good deal for a refurb desktop+monitor?

This was an in-store demo unit, it was on demo between November 2014 and March 2015. It will be used mainly used by my wife for school work and web browsing, maybe some casual gaming (nothing intensive) so I don't specs would be a problem.

Intel Core i5 4590
8 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 635
1 TB HDD
Windows 8.1 64 Bit

HP 23bw - 23" LED Monitor (Looks dusty and is covered in finger prints but is otherwise in good condition).

It comes with standard warranty, but I'm wondering if anyone would advise against demo units?

Thanks,

Yeah for that job its more than just okay.

RGM79

So I went for a 1000w. Probably overkill but I'm sick of having problems.

EVGA Supernova 1000 WATT G1 ATX Power Supply 120-G1-1000-VR

How much did you pay for it? I think there are newer and slightly better EVGA GS/G2/PS models available for a similar price. Performance-wise the G1 should be fine, but the newer models have low noise fan modes and things like that.

Hi guys

I built my tonight. However, when I power it on, everything turns on (fans, GPU fans, heatsink fan), but the computer will not post. No system beeps, no nothing.

Help would be greatly appreciated!

Hard to say what the issue could be. Motherboard power, CPU power, and graphics card power cables all accounted for and tightly inserted? Reseat the graphics card? Try onboard graphics to see if that works?

How much did you pay for it? I think there are newer and slightly better EVGA GS/G2/PS models available for a similar price. Performance-wise the G1 should be fine, but the newer models have low noise fan modes and things like that.

Hard to say what the issue could be. Motherboard power, CPU power, and graphics card power cables all accounted for and tightly inserted? Reseat the graphics card? Try onboard graphics to see if that works?

Yeah I'll try removing the graphics card and the WiFi card and try again.

ok, it was able to post without the GPU. I'll now try reseating it but any ideas if that doesnt work?

edit: it didn't work. Could the psu cable be a dud or something?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Are you supposed to only put two 6 pin connectors to the 970/
Both PCI-E power connectors should be attached yes.
Also make sure you didn't forget the motherboard 8 pin power.

Also also make sure you have the video cable plugged into the GPU if the GPU is in. MAy need an extra restart if you moved it over. Also try the other PCI-E slot as well. Make sure the card is all the way in and the PCI-E slot tab locks.

RGM79

Are you supposed to only put two 6 pin connectors to the 970/

Depends on which GTX 970 you have. Some have just two 6 pin connectors. The Gigabyte Windforce model I recommended you requires one 6 pin cable and one 8 pin cable.

new_geforce3.jpg

axb2013

Damn really, 2018 for a $600-$750 card to do 4k 60fps?

Assuming the target is stationary, for example a already released AAA game, it sounds about right. Typically the target moves along as well, a 2018 sequel, say Crysis 4, Watch Dogs 2 or 2018 Assassin's Creed only need to bump the view distance and that alone could be enough to offset hardware advancements.

I'm waiting for the 390X & 980ti duel to finish my 4K PC, I already know I'll need 2 of whichever card I go for. On top of that, even if I do get to "crush" every game I throw at the PC, this "supremacy" of mine won't last long.

Both PCI-E power connectors should be attached yes.
Also make sure you didn't forget the motherboard 8 pin power.

Also also make sure you have the video cable plugged into the GPU if the GPU is in. MAy need an extra restart if you moved it over. Also try the other PCI-E slot as well. Make sure the card is all the way in and the PCI-E slot tab locks.

LOL before I read this I tried that as well,and what do you know! I didn't realize if the GPU was plugged in it would automatically supercede the IO on the mobo. I'm dumb.

Now for cable management and we're good to go!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
NP
What is the deal with this "Up to 4GB" memory I'm seeing mentioned?

Store page where I'm thinking of ordering : https://www.ple.com.au/ViewItem.aspx?InventoryItemId=616653 (Warning AU price)

Says at the bottom also ; GTX970 series cards will operate up to 3.5Gb of memory at 196GB/s and a final 500mb of memory at 28GB/z when under heavy load.

Thought was bit unusual.
It's true so they dont get people complaining to return it. Treat it as a 3.5GB card.

RGM79

What is the deal with this "Up to 4GB" memory I'm seeing mentioned?

Store page where I'm thinking of ordering : https://www.ple.com.au/ViewItem.aspx?InventoryItemId=616653 (Warning AU price)

Says at the bottom also ; GTX970 series cards will operate up to 3.5Gb of memory at 196GB/s and a final 500mb of memory at 28GB/z when under heavy load.

Thought was bit unusual.

See this for more details. Basically, the GTX 970 only has 3.5GB of high speed VRAM, the remaining 0.5GB can only be accessed at a greatly reduced speed due to the way the GPU is designed (same design as the GTX 980 but with certain parts disabled). If a game forces the GTX 970 to access the last remaining 0.5GB of VRAM, slowdown and stuttering will occur.

As of right now, 1080p gaming is just fine on the GTX 970 as few games will go over 3.5GB VRAM usage. To get the VRAM usage so high that the last 0.5GB would need to be used, you'd have to be running a demanding game at extremely high resolution (4K?) and graphics settings.

NP

It's true so they dont get people complaining to return it. Treat it as a 3.5GB card.

And this is true of all 970s across the board, yes? Not some new iteration out I am missing with a different make up?
Thanks to both of you for the replies. Vert helpful. I can hear the store calling.. Haha

Editn: Probably a silly question but when I pick up card I was thinking of almost taking my old build apart to clean then reassemble with new card. Anything I should know before doing that? Built it so understand basics. Just wondering if it can upset it. Going from red to green too so driver wipe time.

And this is true of all 970s across the board, yes? Not some new iteration out I am missing with a different make up?
Thanks to both of you for the replies. Vert helpful. I can hear the store calling.. Haha

AFAIK Yes. NVidia were less than completely forthright when they first announced the specs... The extra .5 seems to have been added just to say 4GB despite causing issues if it's actually used.

cyen

With prime85, how long would you recommend leaving it going?

If you have an AVX capable CPU i would say 0 unless you can stay all day starring at the CPU temps and prepared to click stop. You can always try the p95 version without AVX instruction.

borborygmus

I missed this earlier, but you don't have to forgo DDR4 if you're upgrading now to an i7. You can go X99 + DDR4 with the 6C/12T 5820K

Thanks for the info. I'm still trying to decide whether to upgrade motherboard + CPU from my i7 2600. Tough call at the moment.

On a different note, does anyone know if newer GPUs like the GTX 980 would saturate a PCIE 2.0 16X slot?

Stubo

120mm or 140mm? US, Europe, somewhere else?

I think the Cooler Master Jet Flo and Cougar Vortex are both fairly popular choices, it depends what you consider not expensive, really.

spinz

hm! So iv picked up a r9 290, and iv realized its length does not comfortably fit in my case. Theres a totally empty drive bay in the way, and if i could pull that out, it would fit cleanly. But im not real tool savvy and I dont see normal screws, I see these things that look kind of like screws but are just totally round. So I dont know if its been soddered in, or if theres a way for me to just pull this bay out. Any ideas?

Lucael

Hey guys, I'm a bit off topic but I don't know where to ask, I even tried search button. I'm looking for some good settings for my monitor Asus VS247H, since I tried a bunch but still not satisfied. There's a thread for monitor settings and stuff? Thank you.

Stubo

hm! So iv picked up a r9 290, and iv realized its length does not comfortably fit in my case. Theres a totally empty drive bay in the way, and if i could pull that out, it would fit cleanly. But im not real tool savvy and I dont see normal screws, I see these things that look kind of like screws but are just totally round. So I dont know if its been soddered in, or if theres a way for me to just pull this bay out. Any ideas?
Which case do you have?
Hey guys, I'm a bit off topic but I don't know where to ask, I even tried search button. I'm looking for some good settings for my monitor Asus VS247H, since I tried a bunch but still not satisfied. There's a thread for monitor settings and stuff? Thank you.
Have you used any calibration tools?

Even if you find settings online (through AV forums for example), they are going to be calibrated for that user's specific monitor and you won't get the same image that they're seeing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom