• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fitts

Sure, here are some well-priced older models that have been on the market for a few years:

XFX XTR Series 550 watt gold rated fully modular for $62 after $20 rebate
Antec HCG 620 watt bronze rated semi-modular for $65 after $20 rebate
EVGA Supernova G1 650 watt gold rated fully modular for $65 after $20 rebate

There are other more popular models, we generally don't recommend them often for some reasoning (high cost or other technically superior power supplies available).

Corsair CX600M 600 watts bronze rated semi-modular for around $60 - extremely popular model with hundreds of user reviews with a very high proportion of positive scores. We usually recommend other models instead because the CX line appears to be a budget product line and seems not able to take higher temperatures well (admittedly not a big deal for most users)

Various Raidmax models, etc, why don't I just link you to all of the 600~700 watt power supplies on Newegg sorted by 'most reviews'.

I can understand why you're interested in user reviews. Professional reviews don't indicate problems that appear later on or are evident during mass production like faulty fans or hidden design flaws.

Awesome! You've been incredibly helpful. Thanks so much! :)

SRG01

Okay, so now I'm using the Intel Extreme Tuning utility because it's more stable... but I'm still having weird issues with the IA Offset:

The following is with -0.1V offset:

3TIsmK8.png

... and the following is with no offset:

As you can see, the offset seems to be applied correctly to VID... just that IA starts doing weird things. Should I be worried?

I own one, white model if that matters. My headphone port is fine, but I've sometimes noticed very faint white noise if I don't have any audio playing.

Hmm...I may have to contact them, it's definitely not supposed to be like this. I almost broke my headphones plug trying to pull it out :\

Here's my version of your build revised for the mITX form factor and with some cost improvements.

Cool, thanks, this is exactly the sort of thing I was looking for.

2. With the money saved elsewhere, I was able to add a CPU cooler. You don't necessarily need one, but the 212 Evo should prove much quieter than the stock Intel cooler as well as keeping temperatures lower.

This is a good idea, my big concerns were whether the 212 would fit, and just the fact that in my own current system I found it to be the only part of the assembly that was a pain in the ass.

5. I found a slightly larger 24" monitor for the same price. Not sure if you had your mind set on the first monitor.

I don't care about the specific monitor at all, I just wanted something with built-in speakers, lol.

Also, you can forgo the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo heatsink, and perhaps look at similar sized cases at a lower price like the following models:

I'll check these out, and probably grab a Windows key off of reddit, then. Thanks again!

Cool, thanks, this is exactly the sort of thing I was looking for.

This is a good idea, my big concerns were whether the 212 would fit, and just the fact that in my own current system I found it to be the only part of the assembly that was a pain in the ass.

I don't care about the specific monitor at all, I just wanted something with built-in speakers, lol.

I'll check these out, and probably grab a Windows key off of reddit, then. Thanks again!

If you go with the HAF itx, CM Elite 120 or 130, the 212 Evo will not fit as the PSU is house directly above the motherboard.

elite120_2.jpg

RGM79

If you go with the HAF itx, CM Elite 120 or 130, the 212 Evo will not fit as the PSU is house directly above the motherboard.

http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p578/Jason_Nostremitus/elite120_2.jpg

That's true in the case of the Elite 120 and 130, but the HAF Stacker 915F (F for frontal power supply) has room and compatibility for the 212 Evo heatsink as mentioned on the product page. I should have been clearer about that.

19.jpg

Neoseeker's review of the HAF Stacker 915F shows that they were even able to fit the Noctua NH-D14 heatsink into their test build. I guess I should point out that the 915F is unusually long and therefore large for an mITX case, though if length isn't an issue, it's a nice case and you could stow it away somewhere. Here's the Elite 120 next to the 915F for comparison:

cooler_master_stacker_915f_size_compare.jpg

XBP

Both of these seem to be the same price here (canada) but the cougar's colors are better. I guess thats a decent option then?

One more thing as well. I'll be using this fan as a bottom intake. Right now there is a PSU cover at the bottom which is basically blocking half of the fan mounting area. If I install the fan at the bottom and dont remove the cover, would this affect the case's airflow a lot? This is a sample picture with the cover removed (not mine)
egoB9BB.jpg

Would really appreciate an answer to this.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Would really appreciate an answer to this.
It's alright. If you have a side intake it would be better.
Main concern is it causing audible noise or an odd frequency hum or vibration.

There's an article in the OP (news, at the top) about fan configurations and cooling.

XBP

It doesn't have a side intake sadly. There's only an option for a bottom intake/exhaust. As I already have a front intake set up I thought a bottom one would help bring more cool air into the system.

Didn't think about the frequency hum/vibration, hmm.... I guess I'll try it out as see how bad the noise is. As long as the fan doesn't create a problem with the case's airflow, I guess I can deal with the noise. Thanks for your help.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
It doesn't have a side intake sadly. There's only an option for a bottom intake/exhaust. As I already have a front intake set up I thought a bottom one would help bring more cool air into the system.

Didn't think about the frequency hum/vibration, hmm.... I guess I'll try it out as see how bad the noise is. As long as the fan doesn't create a problem with the case's airflow, I guess I can deal with the noise. Thanks for your help.
Might need to run it close to full power so it spins up enough to stabilize or get to a frequency that sounds okay, you can muck around with it.

Is it a pain in the ass to use a DS4 with a PS4 AND a PC? Can you pair them both or does it need to be re-done every time? Will any old bluetooth dongle work, or are some better than others?

Slightly obscure one, but does HDMI-CEC work on a PC? i.e turn on PC, TV comes on and switches to the correct input?

Decided to up my budget a bit to get a i7 instead of an i5 and make a build around a GTX 970, but I need a little help with the other parts which I'm not totally sure of. I mostly used Amazon DE prices, but I will use a French online website for delivery, considering they have a shop near my town and I can just drop there in a few minutes. Prices will probably be a little more than listed here, but since I save on shipping costs, it should balance itself.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (€357.94 @ Amazon Deutschland)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (€33.55 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (€115.89 @ Home of Hardware DE)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (€134.16 @ Home of Hardware DE)
Storage: Crucial M550 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Already owned)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card (€371.52 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer ATX Mid Tower Case (€82.24 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Power Supply: Cooler Master 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (71.99 € @ Materiel.net)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/RSBS DVD/CD Writer (€27.91 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €1195.2
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-03 11:56 CEST+0200

Main uses will be gaming, video editing and 3D work, though most of my games aren't that ressource-heavy. Rendering and encoding at 1080p are my main concern right now. As for storage, I already own the SSD listed above, as well as two 500GB HDDs which I currently use.

Also, about overclocking, I never really looked into it because I was afraid of breaking anything, but should I consider it?

Thanks in advance!

RGM79

Decided to up my budget a bit to get a i7 instead of an i5 and make a build around a GTX 970, but I need a little help with the other parts which I'm not totally sure of. I mostly used Amazon DE prices, but I will use a French online website for delivery, considering they have a shop near my town and I can just drop there in a few minutes. Prices will probably be a little more than listed here, but since I save on shipping costs, it should balance itself.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (€357.94 @ Amazon Deutschland)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (€33.55 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (€115.89 @ Home of Hardware DE)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (€134.16 @ Home of Hardware DE)
Storage: Crucial M550 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Already owned)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card (€371.52 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer ATX Mid Tower Case (€82.24 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Power Supply: Cooler Master 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (71.99 € @ Materiel.net)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/RSBS DVD/CD Writer (€27.91 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €1195.2
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-03 11:56 CEST+0200

Main uses will be gaming, video editing and 3D work, though most of my games aren't that ressource-heavy. Rendering and encoding at 1080p are my main concern right now. As for storage, I already own the SSD listed above, as well as two 500GB HDDs which I currently use.

Also, about overclocking, I never really looked into it because I was afraid of breaking anything, but should I consider it?

Thanks in advance!

The parts list looks fine. Consider looking for shorter RAM modules, the Vengeance Pro models have very tall heatspreaders that may interfere with the fan on the 212 Evo heatsink. You can slide the fan over to make room for taller RAM modules, but ideally you'll want shorter RAM so the fan can be more effectively placed to cool the heatsink.

Overclocking is optional, you don't have to do it right away. You can leave it for a few years later if you feel the need for more performance. There are many guides you can follow, and the processor, heatsink, and motherboard look to be well-suited for moderate overclocking.

If you don't mind, please list the website of the French retailer that you will be ordering from. I can take a look through it later to see if you aren't missing a better deal that you could get instead.

The parts list looks fine. Consider looking for shorter RAM modules, the Vengeance Pro models have very tall heatspreaders that may interfere with the fan on the 212 Evo heatsink. You can slide the fan over to make room for taller RAM modules, but ideally you'll want shorter RAM so the fan can be more effectively placed to cool the heatsink.

I'll switch to a Kingston Fury Black Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory then. Didn't see it earlier.

If you don't mind, please list the website of the French retailer that you will be ordering from. I can take a look through it later to see if you aren't missing a better deal that you could get instead.

Here is the website I plan to use. I think it's only in French though.

Thanks again!

RGM79

Ok. So I am planning on building my PC soon, but this thermal compund stuff is worrying me. A lot.

I am getting confused as I keep hearing conflicting stories. On one hand, I hear SPREAD is better. On the other, I hear NO-SPREAD is better.

I am referencing these two videos:

NO-SPREAD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hNgFNH7zhQ

SPREAD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjF5jabXRCY

H-Help...

I guess the argument for manual spreading is that it'd be possible to get an extremely thin application, but I've never spread the paste myself, seems like I would just be making an uneven spread. I've always found it easier to just let the heatsink spread it for you when you place it on top of the CPU which just has a blob of paste in the middle.

I can't imagine the difference between the two methods in thermal testing would be that great anyway.

That's true in the case of the Elite 120 and 130, but the HAF Stacker 915F (F for frontal power supply) has room and compatibility for the 212 Evo heatsink as mentioned on the product page. I should have been clearer about that.

19.jpg

Neoseeker's review of the HAF Stacker 915F shows that they were even able to fit the Noctua NH-D14 heatsink into their test build. I guess I should point out that the 915F is unusually long and therefore large for an mITX case, though if length isn't an issue, it's a nice case and you could stow it away somewhere. Here's the Elite 120 next to the 915F for comparison:

cooler_master_stacker_915f_size_compare.jpg
Oh, cool. I kinda wish I'd known about the 915F when I built my HTPC. I went with an Elite 120. I Went with a 120mm AIO so I could overclock. It makes pump noise the first few minutes after I start it.

RGM79

I'll switch to a Kingston Fury Black Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory then. Didn't see it earlier.

Here is the website I plan to use. I think it's only in French though.

Thanks again!

Here's what I recommend. It's roughly on par with the first parts list in terms of cost and performance, although the RAM and power supply from materiel.net are somewhat expensive compared to other places. The cheapest modular power supply with similar wattage cost over 100€, so I was forced to select a cheaper model without modular cables. You may change out the case if you prefer a different one, just make sure it fits the 160mm tall CPU cooler.

skyz23

Neo Member
Hi guys, this is my first build.. going for a black/white theme. Im kind of new to computers so would appreciate any feedback at all. Im all ears :)

PCPartPicker part list: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/pbqsf7
Price breakdown by merchant: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/pbqsf7/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($328.00 @ Centre Com)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($168.00 @ IJK)
Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($189.00 @ CPL Online)
Memory: Kingston Fury White Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($185.00 @ Umart)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($169.00 @ CPL Online)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($101.00 @ Centre Com)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($519.00 @ CPL Online)
Case: NZXT Noctis 450 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($139.00 @ Umart)
Total: $1798.00 AUD

Here's what I recommend. It's roughly on par with the first parts list in terms of cost and performance, although the RAM and power supply from materiel.net are somewhat expensive compared to other places. The cheapest modular power supply with similar wattage cost over 100€, so I was forced to select a cheaper model without modular cables. You may change out the case if you prefer a different one, just make sure it fits the 160mm tall CPU cooler.

Oh wow, I wasn't expecting such a complete answer, thanks a bunch!

RGM79

Oh wow, I wasn't expecting such a complete answer, thanks a bunch!
I wasn't sure how much over 1200€ you expected to spend, so I tried to cut it as close as possible to the cost of the parts list you listed earlier yet retain the same performance. You may want to pay extra for a power supply with modular cabling.

My French isn't very good, I last studied it in high school years ago, does material.net have a policy on matching the prices of other retailers? Some retailers offer that and you may be able to cut costs.

Hi guys, this is my first build.. going for a black/white theme. Im kind of new to computers so would appreciate any feedback at all. Im all ears :)

PCPartPicker part list: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/pbqsf7
Price breakdown by merchant: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/pbqsf7/by_merchant/

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($168.00 @ IJK)
Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($189.00 @ CPL Online)
Memory: Kingston Fury White Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($185.00 @ Umart)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($169.00 @ CPL Online)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($101.00 @ Centre Com)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($519.00 @ CPL Online)
Case: NZXT Noctis 450 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($139.00 @ Umart)
Total: $1798.00 AUD
Here's a more balanced build.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($45.00 @ CPL Online)
Memory: Kingston Fury White Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($174.00 @ IJK)
Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($135.00 @ Umart)
Storage: Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($99.00 @ IJK)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card ($479.00 @ Centre Com)
Case: NZXT S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($98.00 @ PLE Computers)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($115.00 @ CPL Online)
Total: $1662.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-03 22:36 AEST+1000

I swapped the overkill NZXT Kraken X61 for the 212 Evo air cooler. That air cooler is already good enough to overclock to 4.5GHz or so, I highly doubt you need to spend that much on a high end water cooler that you probably won't be using to the fullest advantage with the i5 4690K.

The Samsung 840 Evo is no longer recommended due to it being discontinued and replaced by the 850 Evo as well as having performance issues. I recommend the Crucial BX100, it's an excellent cost-effective SSD.

The Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce is a black graphics card that will better complement your black and white color scheme than the red and black MSI GTX 970. A white and black version of the MSI GTX 970 exists I think, but I am unsure of how much it costs and which retailer sells it. It should also be called the Krait edition?

One last thing, the case you chose didn't have a price attached so your parts list total should be even higher. I don't know if that means you're buying it from an unlisted retailer or not. I substituted the decent NZXT S340 instead.

All in all, I was able to save a bit over $130 even factoring in the cost of the S340 case, without compromising performance.

mulac

So i am about ready to pull the trigger on my upgrade for high gaming and some video editing plus usual stuff.

Dell U3415w ultrawide screen
Asus Strix 980 GTX
Logitech G50 mouse

Im currently using a 500w psu, would that be powerful enough for the above or do i need a new psu in which case any suggestions?

Also as this is a big screen has anyone tried remote playing ps4 games on it via the playstation tv??

Thanks Gaf.

skyz23

Neo Member
I wasn't sure how much over 1200€ you expected to spend, so I tried to cut it as close as possible to the cost of the parts list you listed earlier yet retain the same performance. You may want to pay extra for a power supply with modular cabling.

My French isn't very good, I last studied it in high school years ago, does material.net have a policy on matching the prices of other retailers? Some retailers offer that and you may be able to cut costs.

Here's a more balanced build.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($45.00 @ CPL Online)
Memory: Kingston Fury White Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($174.00 @ IJK)
Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($135.00 @ Umart)
Storage: Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($99.00 @ IJK)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card ($479.00 @ Centre Com)
Case: NZXT S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($98.00 @ PLE Computers)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($115.00 @ CPL Online)
Total: $1662.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-03 22:36 AEST+1000

I swapped the overkill NZXT Kraken X61 for the 212 Evo air cooler. That air cooler is already good enough to overclock to 4.5GHz or so, I highly doubt you need to spend that much on a high end water cooler that you probably won't be using to the fullest advantage with the i5 4690K.

The Samsung 840 Evo is no longer recommended due to it being discontinued and replaced by the 850 Evo as well as having performance issues. I recommend the Crucial BX100, it's an excellent cost-effective SSD.

The Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce is a black graphics card that will better complement your black and white color scheme than the red and black MSI GTX 970. A white and black version of the MSI GTX 970 exists I think, but I am unsure of how much it costs and which retailer sells it. It should also be called the Krait edition?

One last thing, the case you chose didn't have a price attached so your parts list total should be even higher. I don't know if that means you're buying it from an unlisted retailer or not. I substituted the decent NZXT S340 instead.

All in all, I was able to save a bit over $130 even factoring in the cost of the S340 case, without compromising performance.

Thank you for your response RGM79! I understand the x61 is extremely overkill, but would the Kraken x41 be okay? Its just that I really feel like going into AIO water cooling, as opposed to air cooling. The Noctis case came out this week, so its around $200.. pretty pricey. Do you think 8GB (2x 4GB) RAM is enough to future proof & last me another 2-3 years?

LilJoka

Okay, so now I'm using the Intel Extreme Tuning utility because it's more stable... but I'm still having weird issues with the IA Offset:

The following is with -0.1V offset:

... and the following is with no offset:

As you can see, the offset seems to be applied correctly to VID... just that IA starts doing weird things. Should I be worried?

Offset is applied to VID to get the Vcore. VID is static per Multiplier, like a lookup table of voltages for each multiplier. The Vcore = VID + Offset. As you can see, your Vcore at 0v offset is 1.22v, and with -0.1v offset is 1.12v. Working right.

As for the IA offset, that could be an issue, are you on the latest Bios?
I cant find any concrete info on IA Offset.

successfully added 8 more gigs of memory. everything is being read ok and timings look good. I almost wasnt sure if i would be able to fit all 4 sticks becuase of my heatsink fan but had just enough room to fit it in which was good.

Generally speaking, you should be fine with any 1600MHz CL9 RAM kit. Technically you don't even need to match speed or latency - if you have mismatching speeds the motherboard will have it all set at the same speed, and different latency doesn't really make a difference. Still, sometimes RAM compatibility can be finicky as not all RAM is exactly the same and has slightly different due to manufacturing. It's just easiest to recommend rebuying the same or similar RAM kit of what you already have installed.

What country are you in?

Belgium.

What do you guys think of this build:

uWp2AwS.png

I'm thinking about adding an extra cooler for my CPU. Budget is €1500

kennah

wts:

my last EVGA SC GTX 970 $250 (video card only)
New 1TB SSD Samsung Evo 840 $275

both prices are shipped (priority mail) and I take paypal or bitcoin :D
From the gaf bst thread. He is currently offering both for 425 shipped. Sometime jump on this. The guy is legit, I've bought a video card off him before.
Just did the Canada math and it would be 535 after the exchange rate. If I were to buy the stuff new it would be $1050 damn I wish I had the cash to jump on it.

Ah, in that case you should go for 650 watts. I forgot to link the 650 watt version of that power supply in my last post.

EVGA Supernova GS 650 watts for $65 after $20 rebate

Here's my version of your build revised for the mITX form factor and with some cost improvements.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($167.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M-ITX/AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($72.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($48.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial BX100 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($169.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($224.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design Node 304 (White) Mini ITX Tower Case ($81.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($86.89 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Acer G247HL bid 60Hz 24.0" Monitor ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1055.78
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-03 00:23 EDT-0400

1. Went with the newer i5 4460, the i5 4440 is the older model than the 4460 basically replaces.
2. With the money saved elsewhere, I was able to add a CPU cooler. You don't necessarily need one, but the 212 Evo should prove much quieter than the stock Intel cooler as well as keeping temperatures lower.
3. With the smaller motherboard, 1x8GB of RAM is preferable because you will be able to add another stick of 8GB for a total of 16GB in the future. The loss of dual channel mode for memory is not as important as leaving room open for more RAM. Tests have shown that dual channel mode means little for gaming performance, and recent games like GTAV will be somewhat constrained if the system only has 8GB of RAM.
4. The EVGA GTX 960 SSC ACX2.0+ 4GB is slightly clocked faster (1.28GHz vs 1.14GHz) yet cheaper than the PNY model you had listed. The EVGA model also has a zero fan speed mode when at low temperatures to keep noise levels down. The PNY model has a blower-type cooler which does keep the case's internal temperatures down by forcing all of the warm air out of the case, but it does generate more noise and doesn't quite cool down the GPU itself as effectively as the EVGA's open type cooler.
5. I found a slightly larger 24" monitor for the same price. Not sure if you had your mind set on the first monitor.

Love your build. That GPU will fit with that modular PSU with no problems in the Fractal 304? I ask because I've already bought the 304 and an Asus H87I. I want to get your GPU (eVGA 960 4GB) and PSU (eVGA 550w modular) recommendation.

System lack of noise is also VERY important to me. I need enough power to drive Star Citizen on a 1080p television in my living room but the system shouldn't be much louder than the PS4 i'm replacing.

SourBear

Banned
Avexir is a lesser known brand that was established not that long ago, less than ten years ago. It's a Chinese company. They have a lifetime warranty, so at least that's fine. I haven't heard anything negative about the brand and honestly there aren't any brands for RAM that I'd actually avoid, so it seems safe enough to recommend. The price is good, the next cheapest kit of 2x8GB 2400MHz RAM that I can recommend is $115. There is 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz RAM for $110, but it wouldn't fit very well under the heatsink as it comes with very tall heatspreaders.

If you prefer a better known brand and don't mind going with a slightly slower speed rating, there's this 2x8GB kit of G.Skill 1866MHz RAM for $100. It's just a $2 difference, though.

As for the 1.65V voltage warning, that's not really an issue. All DDR3 RAM above 2133MHz has to operate at higher voltages to meet higher speeds. While technically out of spec it is still safe to run, the RAM might just be a few degrees warmer. As long as your case has adequate ventilation, it's a non-issue. Puget Systems tested high and low voltage RAM at equivalent speed and the temperature difference was a difference of a few degrees at worst but still well below any worry of overheating.

Thanks for your help. Decided to go with all your recommendations and purchased it all today!
I was going to wait a little while but then I saw the CPU dropped in price by quite a bit today from yesterday for some reason.

Snagged the i7-4790k for $205 at NCIXUS. It was on sale for $225 and then I got new customer $20 off promo.
Seemed like a steal at that price.

kennah

Thanks for your help. Decided to go with all your recommendations and purchased it all today!
I was going to wait a little while but then I saw the CPU dropped in price by quite a bit today from yesterday for some reason.

Snagged the i7-4790k for $205 at NCIXUS. It was on sale for $225 and then I got new customer $20 off promo.
http://www.ncixus.com/products/?sku=97888&vpn=BX80646I74790K&manufacture=Intel&promoid=1151

Jesus everyone buy this NOW
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/intel-c...ulti/9907156.p?id=1219446417967&skuId=9907156

Edit. And try your luck with a price match at best buy for 10 more dollars off.

I am somewhat already convinced by my own research and needs, but does anyone have any opinions on a Titan X vs SLI'd 980's considering the prices are relatively the same and if I go with the Titan X I only need a single waterblock vs getting two.

At 3440x1440 (60 fps), I would like to play all these games coming out (Witcher 3/Arkham Knight/Battlefront) at ultra quality. I also occasionally will do some architectural 3D rendering for work once in a while so that 12GB VRAM and high shader stream count should definitely count for something - vs the 4gb on the 980's.

If anyone has any advice for me on these two options please let me know! My current system is a 2600K at 4.5ghz with 16GB of RAM and a pair of 670's. Thanks!

spinz

ehhhhhh... lets suppose I was going to use a pre-built service to customize a rig... is there a particular site people have strong feelings about?
Im looking at: falcon nw, digital storm, origin pc.

Long story short: iv got an old rig i hoped to upgrade, but i keep having one problem after the next.. (the motherboard doesnt support newer cpu's, and the case doesnt have enough room for larger gpu's).

x3sphere

I am somewhat already convinced by my own research and needs, but does anyone have any opinions on a Titan X vs SLI'd 980's considering the prices are relatively the same and if I go with the Titan X I only need a single waterblock vs getting two.

At 3440x1440 (60 fps), I would like to play all these games coming out (Witcher 3/Arkham Knight/Battlefront) at ultra quality. I also occasionally will do some architectural 3D rendering for work once in a while so that 12GB VRAM and high shader stream count should definitely count for something - vs the 4gb on the 980's.

If anyone has any advice for me on these two options please let me know! My current system is a 2600K at 4.5ghz with 16GB of RAM and a pair of 670's. Thanks!

3440x1440 here too... I've had both and prefer the Titan X. Overclocked it can come within 20% of stock 980 SLI, and sometimes will match it if SLI scaling is not so good. At similar FPS, single card still is smoother over SLI, no need to wait for driver profiles either which is a huge plus.

I will say however I don't think the TItan X will be able to pump out 60 FPS on TW3 fully maxed out, expecting around 40-50. Probably going to need two Titan X's for 60 locked.

Ugh, this is my own fault but it's still annoying.

I bought my dad a new computer for Christmas. Had hardlock freezing issues, through testing every component seperately I determined it was the mobo. January - April is my busy season so I didn't RMA the mobo until like 2.5 weeks ago. I'm not going to get it back by the time my dad comes back from Florida so I just need to buy a new mobo to get his computer up and running, BAH.

Anyone have a cheapish mobo to buy? LGA1150?

Got it, I'll think about it.

I don't think they do, but I'll try to look further into it.

Thanks again for your help!

3440x1440 here too... I've had both and prefer the Titan X. Overclocked it can come within 20% of stock 980 SLI, and sometimes will match it if SLI scaling is not so good. At similar FPS, single card still is smoother over SLI, no need to wait for driver profiles either which is a huge plus.

I will say however I don't think the TItan X will be able to pump out 60 FPS on TW3 fully maxed out, expecting around 40-50. Probably going to need two Titan X's for 60 locked.

Thank you very much for the insight. Part of me just wants to wait to see the benchmark results for TW3. But I will be making my final decision quite soon.

Again, thanks! If anyone else has input please do share!

RGM79

Thank you for your response RGM79! I understand the x61 is extremely overkill, but would the Kraken x41 be okay? Its just that I really feel like going into AIO water cooling, as opposed to air cooling. The Noctis case came out this week, so its around $200.. pretty pricey. Do you think 8GB (2x 4GB) RAM is enough to future proof & last me another 2-3 years?

Oh, I'm just recommending for best cost, that's all. If you prefer water cooling, then I'm not going to stop you. According to PCPartPicker, the X61 and X41 cost $168 and $129 respectively. I think I see a better deal in the form of the Cooler Master Nepton 280L which costs $128. Hardware Canucks and Tweaktown both liked it, and even in Tweaktown's latest reviews, the 280L is still ranked near the top of the list in terms of performance.

Looking at the NZXT Noctis case, I guess you were interested in the case's ability to tie into their Kraken water coolers. It's up to you I guess, it's a very premium design, I personally wouldn't spend so much on a case but that's just because I'm cheap.

For gaming PCs today, 8GB is the minimum I recommend. Certain games already feel quite constrained with just 8GB of RAM, GTAV is one of them. Given the costs and your budget, I'd recommend 16GB. DDR3 RAM is supposed to rise in price as DDR4 becomes standard and worldwide RAM production begins to shift more to DDR4 in the coming years, but DDR3 hasn't started rising in price yet.

Love your build. That GPU will fit with that modular PSU with no problems in the Fractal 304? I ask because I've already bought the 304 and an Asus H87I. I want to get your GPU (eVGA 960 4GB) and PSU (eVGA 550w modular) recommendation.

System lack of noise is also VERY important to me. I need enough power to drive Star Citizen on a 1080p television in my living room but the system shouldn't be much louder than the PS4 i'm replacing.

Those parts will suit you very well, then. The EVGA PSU also has a silent fan mode. Keep in mind that the Node 304 doesn't have any noise-dampening foam, just low noise fans.

I looked at the dimensions of the power supply and Fractal mentions recommended parts dimensions on the Node 304's product page. Fractal recommends a modular PSU shorter than 160mm and the EVGA PSU is 150mm long. It should be a tight fit, but doable.

That's an amazing price.

ehhhhhh... lets suppose I was going to use a pre-built service to customize a rig... is there a particular site people have strong feelings about?
Im looking at: falcon nw, digital storm, origin pc.

Long story short: iv got an old rig i hoped to upgrade, but i keep having one problem after the next.. (the motherboard doesnt support newer cpu's, and the case doesnt have enough room for larger gpu's).

A lot of those websites offer overpriced packages and still hit you with additional shipping cost on top of the PC itself. We usually recommend going with a retailer like NCIXUS, you can get most if not all of your parts there with pricematching and decently cheap or free shipping and for a $50 charge they'll assemble your PC for you and give you a year's warranty including all of the individual parts boxes in case you need to invoke warranty on a certain part with the manufacturer of that part. Usually comes out cheaper than those PC boutiques, but you'll need to do a bit of research and trial builds to see how much it'll really cost.

Ugh, this is my own fault but it's still annoying.

I bought my dad a new computer for Christmas. Had hardlock freezing issues, through testing every component seperately I determined it was the mobo. January - April is my busy season so I didn't RMA the mobo until like 2.5 weeks ago. I'm not going to get it back by the time my dad comes back from Florida so I just need to buy a new mobo to get his computer up and running, BAH.

Anyone have a cheapish mobo to buy? LGA1150?

How cheap? Do you need it to have certain features? Cheapest option would be a H81/B85 motherboard. Maybe something like this Gigabyte B85M-Gaming 3 model for $40 after rebate.

Oscar

Here's my old rig from 2011:

Mobo: MSI Z77A-GD65
CPU: i7-2600K
GPU: MSI N580 GTX
PSU: Cooler Master 850W Silent Pro M
RAM: 2x4GB (8GB) of Corsair Vengeance

I mostly play Blizzard games, and want to just swap out the GPU with a newer one.

Any recommendations for the best bang for my buck? I'm not looking to run The Witcher 3 Ubersampled or even something like GTA V with mods. Like I said, I mostly play Blizzard games, not looking to max out the latest demanding games.

theRizzle

I am trying to put together the cheapest possible rig for my dad for every day computering things (Internet Browsing, Facebook, etc) and also something for me to play Dota 2 on when I visit him on holidays.

I am guessing G2358 + a 960 is probably the best way to go here?

RGM79

What madness is this?

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers...-fit-snugly-when-plugged-into-a-wd-hard-drive

I received a 4TB as a RMA return and the standard SATA cable doesn't actually fit. I actually need to find to correct cable. Bother.

That sucks. You'd think that because that's uncommon that they would provide you a matching SATA cable along with the returned item. It says you can ask WD for a proper cable, but I'm going to assume that costs money. Wouldn't hurt to ask, though.

You're going to have to be more specific. What Asus motherboard are you comparing those two to? Generally, I recommend motherboards on a basis of what users require - which motherboard has the features you absolutely need?

Here's my old rig from 2011:

Mobo: MSI Z77A-GD65
CPU: i7-2600K
GPU: MSI N580 GTX
PSU: Cooler Master 850W Silent Pro M
RAM: 2x4GB (8GB) of Corsair Vengeance

I mostly play Blizzard games, and want to just swap out the GPU with a newer one.

Any recommendations for the best bang for my buck? I'm not looking to run The Witcher 3 Ubersampled or even something like GTA V with mods. Like I said, I mostly play Blizzard games, not looking to max out the latest demanding games.

Is the GTX 580 not cutting it anymore? It should be fine for most Blizzard games, they're not exactly that demanding.

How much do you intend to spend on a graphics card?

yami4ct

Alright, I think I can officially say I'm going to be able to grab my new PC before The Witcher hits this month (or very soon after). Now I guess I need some specific advice.

Here's the base build.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 EXTREME6 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($146.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($339.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($92.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: LG UH12NS30 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($39.99 @ Micro Center)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)
Total: $1031.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-04 00:02 EDT-0400

Budget:800-just over 1000 USD.
Need for: The big PC releases like Witcher 3. Running games on Dolphin
Parts already owned: Power Supply. Regular HDD

I know the Motherboard is probably overboard for what I need, but I love the sheer number of USB 3 ports on it and the great reviews. If you can find me one with near the number of USB 3 ports and comparable quality at a cheeper cost, I'd very much switch. Same for pretty much any part. If it's same quality at cheaper cost, I'll definitely change.

RGM79

I am trying to put together the cheapest possible rig for my dad for every day computering things (Internet Browsing, Facebook, etc) and also something for me to play Dota 2 on when I visit him on holidays.

I am guessing G2358 + a 960 is probably the best way to go here?

That's already overkill. If cost is an issue, you don't need to spend more than $100 on the graphics card. At 1080p, even the integrated graphics on an AMD APU will serve just fine. According to this benchmark by Techspot, the A10-7850K's APU graphics will run DOTA2 on maximum settings at around 50FPS, while a cheap graphics card like the R7 260X will manage around 90FPS. If you don't need maximum settings, then just turn down the graphics settings and you should be able to manage 60FPS on the A10-7850K without needing a graphics card.

Are you in the US? If yes, I'll recommend a build like the one below:

CPU: AMD A10-7850K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor ($128.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A68HM-H Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard ($35.48 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($54.98 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Crucial BX100 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($64.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $349.42
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-04 00:06 EDT-0400

The SSD is nice to have if your father doesn't need a lot of storage space since he'll just be web browsing. Otherwise, a normal 1TB hard drive is about $50.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom