• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just an information again on the GTX 970, since I'm telling my GF which to buy if someone wants to buy me a birthday present.
http://www.amazon.it/dp/B00NFFAW50/
http://www.amazon.it/dp/B00NSXYEQW/

Now the STRIX is cheaper because it's the last one available, BUT:
1) if they were on the same price or little difference, which would be better?
2) Is a 650W PSU sufficient for both? Not for both at the same time of course, but in general. I see the EVGA is slightly OCed so maybe it needs more power?

edit: also this is my case: http://eu.coolermaster.com/it/case/mid-tower-haf-series/haf-912-plus/ I don't think I'll have problems. Actually I have a msi 6950 twin frozr III OC PE that's like 27cm
Thanks in advance

At 4K@60 FPS, you are looking at 2 or more top end video cards. That along would be at least more than half of your budget. 1440p would be better for your budget.

I can raise the budget to $3000 if I extend the timeline of when I would like this completed. Would that be more feasible or would you discourage any new PC builder to not go for 4k gaming?

LilJoka

Just an information again on the GTX 970, since I'm telling my GF which to buy if someone wants to buy me a birthday present.

2) Is a 650W PSU sufficient for both? Not for both at the same time of course, but in general. I see the EVGA is slightly OCed so maybe it needs more power?

edit: also this is my case: http://eu.coolermaster.com/it/case/mid-tower-haf-series/haf-912-plus/ I don't think I'll have problems. Actually I have a msi 6950 twin frozr III OC PE that's like 27cm
Thanks in advance

EVGA if it was the same price as i think these overclock a little better, the strix has lower TDP limit. But in any case both will overclock passed any factory OC, so it doesnt matter.

knitoe

I can raise the budget to $3000 if I extend the timeline of when I would like this completed. Would that be more feasible or would you discourage any new PC builder to not go for 4k gaming?

$3000 is more reasonable and doable. To start, a 4K Gsync monitor + 2x 980ti would be around $2000. Leaving you $1000 for the rest of PC.

Tweedy

Hi guys, got a new cpu and mobo yesterday, i7 4790k and msi z97 gaming 3. Now... When i installed it yesterday everything was fine. Tried prime95 and it went to 4.4ghz (like I'd expect) was fine for a good 30 mins till I stopped it.

Today I fired up my PC and ran 3dMarks Fire strike and got 4711. Tanked badly on the physics part. Upon further inspection the CPU part said 800mhz.
Check CPUz again and it said 800mhz

I did a quick Google and most said to turn on the "oc genie" mode and I did that and it's returned to 4.4 and got a much more respectable score. Anyone ever had an issue like this with msi boards?

I did read someone's suggestion of update the bios but I'm only 2 revisions behind and I don't really like updating the bios. But will if needs be.

Thanks in advance :)

Other specs are:
Gtx 970 strix
Coolermaster 650w psu
8gb corsair vengeance RAM.
128 crucial m4

If you play at 1440p or lower, I'd recommend the 4GB version of the R9 290X, it's the same performance for cheaper. The only reason the 8GB model exists is for crossfiring two of them for extremely high graphics settings at 4K resolution. Tom's Hardware's review of the Sapphire R9 290X 8GB notes little difference at 1080p and slightly moderate gains for 4K performance compared to the 4GB model. Hardware.info's review shows little reason to go for the 8GB model.

If you're looking to save money, consider the R9 290 as well. It offers slightly less performance (~90% of the R9 290X) for an even steeper price drop. The R9 290 is probably what I'd recommend in the end.
I think ill go with the R9 290. After looking at those it doesn't look like the small difference makes it worth the price for the R9 290X. Going to save a ton of money now that I don't have to get a new PSU and with the R9 290. Thanks.

EVGA if it was the same price as i think these overclock a little better, the strix has lower TDP limit. But in any case both will overclock passed any factory OC, so it doesnt matter.

Lower TDP limit means it can be overclocked less?
What about the PSU? The website says 500W minimum. I saw it consumes maximum 178W, plus the 95W for the i5 2500 it would be 273 W. 377 W for other stuff that I don't think requires this wattage xD

Hi guys, got a new cpu and mobo yesterday, i7 4790k and msi z97 gaming 3. Now... When i installed it yesterday everything was fine. Tried prime95 and it went to 4.4ghz (like I'd expect) was fine for a good 30 mins till I stopped it.

Today I fired up my PC and ran 3dMarks Fire strike and got 4711. Tanked badly on the physics part. Upon further inspection the CPU part said 800mhz.
Check CPUz again and it said 800mhz

I did a quick Google and most said to turn on the "oc genie" mode and I did that and it's returned to 4.4 and got a much more respectable score. Anyone ever had an issue like this with msi boards?

I did read someone's suggestion of update the bios but I'm only 2 revisions behind and I don't really like updating the bios. But will if needs be.

Thanks in advance :)

Other specs are:
Gtx 970 strix
Coolermaster 650w psu
8gb corsair vengeance RAM.
128 crucial m4
Not familiar with that motherboard but I would as a first check to into the BIOS and "reset to optimized defaults" and then try again (may be under a different name).

daxy

So I think I've finalized my build. It's built from scratch and it's my first go at this thing, so advice/ideas/comments are appreciated!
After two days of research, this is what I came up with:

Videocard: GTX 970 (MSI Gaming 4G)
Processor: i5 4690K
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X-SLI
Memory: Crucial BallistiX Sport 16GB (2x8 CL9)
SSD: 500 GB Samsung 850 Evo
Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Power: Seasonic M12II Evo 520W

This will run me 1093 euros.

I've no clue what to do with the case, so ideas are welcome. A balance between airflow and quietness is something I'd like, and nothing flashy, as minimalist as possible. Preferably under 70 USD/EUR.
I will need a Wifi card too. I think the mobo is LAN only. Are there motherboards that combine the two or am I better off getting it separate?

Sorry for asking without looking guys but I am in a bit of a hurry. My ssd just bit the dust (OCZ Vertex 2 128GB) and I have to order a new one asap. It is just the OS disk so I do not need more than 128 or 256 gigs. Any recomendations please?

LilJoka

Lower TDP limit means it can be overclocked less?
What about the PSU? The website says 500W minimum. I saw it consumes maximum 178W, plus the 95W for the i5 2500 it would be 273 W. 377 W for other stuff that I don't think requires this wattage xD

As long as you have a good PSU itll be fine, exactly what model do you have?

Am I wasting money upgrading to a 980ti from a 670 if my CPU is a i5 3570k? Meaning, will my CPU be a bottleneck sooner than later?

Nah, you'll be fine for the foreseeable future with your CPU. Just get an aftermarket heatsink if you are running stock and overclock that puppy. Should have a decent bit of headroom 4.2-4.5ish GHz. That closes the gap pretty close on even the newer Broadwell processors at stock.

Warm like it feels hotter or warm like you are monitoring temps and it's hotter.

What are the temp differences ?

feels hotter ....i touch the PC case and it warmer then when i had my 7850 ...but everything runs fine ...im just gonna keep my eye out and monitor it ...

cackhyena

Nah, you'll be fine for the foreseeable future with your CPU. Just get an aftermarket heatsink if you are running stock and overclock that puppy. Should have a decent bit of headroom 4.2-4.5ish GHz. That closes the gap pretty close on even the newer Broadwell processors at stock.

Nice, thanks. I put an aftermarket one on there when I built it, but after tinkering for a bit, I gave up on overclocking. I know, what a waste. Good to know I still can get some life out of it with the GPU upgrade, though.

So I think I've finalized my build. It's built from scratch and it's my first go at this thing, so advice/ideas/comments are appreciated!
After two days of research, this is what I came up with:

Videocard: GTX 970 (MSI Gaming 4G)
Processor: i5 4690K
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X-SLI
Memory: Crucial BallistiX Sport 16GB (2x8 CL9)
SSD: 500 GB Samsung 850 Evo
Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Power: Seasonic M12II Evo 520W

This will run me 1093 euros.

I've no clue what to do with the case, so ideas are welcome. A balance between airflow and quietness is something I'd like, and nothing flashy, as minimalist as possible. Preferably under 70 USD/EUR.
I will need a Wifi card too. I think the mobo is LAN only. Are there motherboards that combine the two or am I better off getting it separate?

Thanks in advance

Hold your guns guys.

In 6 days AMD is revealing their whole 300-line of GPUs. Word has it there are a couple in there (390, 390X) that may give the 970 a run for its money in terms of price/performance. Or at least these new GPUs may shake up the prices for NV GPUs too.

Right now is not a sensible time to buy a GPU (as in, this week). But the rest, fill your boots :)

Engell

feels hotter ....i touch the PC case and it warmer then when i had my 7850 ...but everything runs fine ...im just gonna keep my eye out and monitor it ...

Isn't that because your old 7850 had a blower style cooler?, so you just removed a lot airflow from your case. Blower style coolers can be a bit louder, but is usually a better solution if your case doesn't have good airflow.
That is why you can also buy the 980 with a blower style cooler, because that will work no matter(almost) how bad your airflow is.

How much do cases impact builds? I would want this case but is it too small to be able to put in the parts to achieve 4k gaming with 60pfs+?

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/obsidian-series-350d-windowed-micro-atx-pc-case
That case won't impact performance. It'll still handle the longest GPU available and that'll be the only thing that would seriously impact performance.

The main thing to note with those Micro cases is they don't offer as many expansions slots (HDD/SSD) as a larger case and I would assume air-flow isn't as good.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Hold your guns guys.

In 6 days AMD is revealing their whole 300-line of GPUs. Word has it there are a couple in there (390, 390X) that may give the 970 a run for its money in terms of price/performance. Or at least these new GPUs may shake up the prices for NV GPUs too.

Right now is not a sensible time to buy a GPU (as in, this week). But the rest, fill your boots :)

To keep my options open, what PSU would you hazard any of those 970 contenders would be needing? Currently got a 600w Corsair on my build list but the huge discrepancy between the big two power wise makes its feel impossible to spec at times.

To keep my options open, what PSU would you hazard any of those 970 contenders would be needing? Currently got a 600w Corsair on my build list but the huge discrepancy between the big two power wise makes its feel impossible to spec at times.

600W should be absolutely fine tbh, although the 390X and Fury X (top HBM GPU that rivals the Titan X/980 Ti) will probably be the most power hungry.

I read the Fury Pro (or just 'Fury' - the lower cost HBM card) takes 25W less power than a 290X, but that could be wrong.

Not too small

That case won't impact performance. It'll still handle the longest GPU available and that'll be the only thing that would seriously impact performance.

The main thing to note with those Micro cases is they don't offer as many expansions slots (HDD/SSD) as a larger case and I would assume air-flow isn't as good.

I'm having a hard time seeing how I would benefit from having more expansions slots for HDD/SSD--I feel that I'm just sincerely ignorant on how it would benefit me. I'm afraid that I'm looking at only guides and preset builds and because I want 4k gaming and 60fps they are going to other extremes to make it a powerhouse.

IceIpor

If you have a solid 600w PSU, I'm almost sure you'll have no problems with whatever AMD/Nvidia comes out with.
Unless you're planning on cross-fire/SLI-ing, I guess.

cackhyena

Being settled on a 980ti, is there a consensus on the best brand to go with? My 670 was a Gigabyte and that thing has served me very well.

Hold your guns guys.

well my birthday is a month away, I think it's enough time to see how the thing evolves right?

Flandy

My Dad is sick and tired of his slow ass PC that takes like 15 minutes to finish booting so he wants to get a new one. Can anyone pick some parts out for him?

Budget: He's looking to at most spend $500
Main Use: Just general web browsing, youtube, and some light video editing on the side for Family and Friends. It would always take him hours to do that on his old PC and it would often crash on him. Nothing too extreme though
Monitor Resolution: He's just planning on sticking with his 1366x768 monitor
Looking to reuse any parts?: Will not be reusing any parts. He'd like to leave it as a backup although he might reuse the HDD
When will you build?: No deadline but he'd like to have it sooner rather than later.
Will you be overclocking?: lolno

Wants a 2TB HDD preferably 7200rpm. Maybe a SSD for Windows and other essentials if it can fit in the budget

If you'll humor me gentlemen, I have a request.

Looking for a barebones gaming PC that is capable of playing Fallout New Vegas with a few gameplay-centric mods (i.e. no huge HD texture remap mods). Nothing fancy, don't need it for anything else.

Realistically, what is my price range? $200? $300?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($649.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($649.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 350D Window MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair 760W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($156.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit) ($87.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1644.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-10 21:48 EDT-0400

I'm trying to build a 4k/60fps gaming rig but I'm so confused. . these were the only hardware I knew to get. I'm still trying to learn what is compatible. Seeking any help (budget it $3000)

RootCause

I agree that it's a bit early to look for potential parts, but depending on what graphical quality your friend wants to play games (as well as what games he'll be playing), he'll probably need a fairly strong graphics card, probably a flagship tier card or maybe even crossfire/SLI with midrange or high end graphics cards to get 90+ FPS at 1440p for some especially demanding games.

There's not really a way to future proof a PC, there's always something new on the horizon. Late 2015 wouldn't be too bad of a time to buy, though. The best thing you could do is buy into a new platform so you're not stuck with older generation parts and support. Skylake, AMD R9 3XX line, etc will be out by then and there should be a lot of user and professional reviews on them available to research exactly what kind of parts would best fit his needs. In terms of future upgrades, waiting for Skylake would be nice as it'll be coming on a new motherboard platform with a new CPU socket and lineup, plus some newer features like USB 3.1 and USB type C, DDR4 support, etc.

According to the HP support website, the motherboard only supports running RAM at 1600MHz. You won't really notice a difference by replacing it with a 1866MHz stick of RAM that will be forced to run at 1600MHz anyway. It's your choice if you want to replace the RAM, though.

Two of those sticks of Kingston would cost about $115, you can get a 2x8GB kit of G.Skill 2133MHz RAM for $95 including free shipping, that's a better deal. There's also this slightly cheaper 2x8GB kit of Mushkin 1600MHz RAM for $90 after $10 coupon including free shipping.

Yeah, $600~700 is totally doable for a PC build to outperform the $850 Alienware Alpha model, including a decent CPU cooler. You have two options for the OS license, you can get a normal retail copy for a bit under $90 or buy a cheap Windows license key off reddit. Here's my standard disclaimer for buying from reddit:

Windows 7/8.1 licenses can be bought from reddit's microsoftsoftwareswap for $20 USD or less. These are most likely legitimate keys that are resold from educational programs like Technet or Dreamspark. However, you are dealing with a person instead of a retailer, and informal Windows keys sales are not approved by Microsoft and probably breaking some licensing agreement, but it's not illegal. The risks involved are that the person could be selling you a fake or used key, or that Microsoft may refuse to give you support and/or deactivate your license and refuse to reactivate it. That's not very likely, usually it only happens if the seller and their list of sold keys was caught. We've had people here using those keys without issues for a long time and others who say Microsoft deactivated their key after several months.

And yeah, it's viable to use a TV as a monitor. Pretty much all video cards come with HDMI output. Oh, and just to make sure, you're in the US?

Here's an example PC build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($79.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($52.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB DUAL-X Video Card ($162.98 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($43.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.00 @ Newegg)
Total: $690.81
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-09 22:20 EDT-0400

I might have jumped the gun a bit, that build does cut very close to your upper budget limit.. but the processor and graphics card is already stronger than the Alienware Alpha $850 model for $690 after discounts and rebates. If you don't mind dropping the CPU cooler for now or going with a cheaper non-overclocking CPU and motherboard, that'd bring down the cost by a bit more. You could also go for a cheaper graphics card, the one in the Alienware Alpha is about equal to a GTX 750 Ti, you could go for that (the 750 Ti starts as low as $110) or an AMD R9 270X (starting at $140).

If you prefer to play it safe and buy the $90 retail copy of Windows, then I recommend going with a cheaper non-overclocking i5 processor and motherboard that will still deliver strong performance. This build features the GTX 960 instead which costs a bit more than the R9 280 but is a bit quieter and produces less heat, and the entire build still comes in at around $600. The 212 Evo CPU cooler isn't really needed since the i5 4460 can't be overclocked, but you can still add it back to the parts list or install it later if you feel the stock cooler isn't good enough at cooling or is too loud.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($176.98 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-GAMING 3 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($44.45 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($52.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card ($194.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($43.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.00 @ Newegg)
Total: $607.39
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-09 22:36 EDT-0400
Thanks! if it's better, I'm good with spending the extra $$$. It's okay if it goes a little over $750.
By the way, I should've asked you in the first place, but would it be better to wait for the 3xx series to release?
Also, forgot I have rewards points($700+ worth of points) which can be used for parts on Newegg, Amazon, and tiger direct. So the budget is bigger now. Though I'm a little hesitant on spending a lot on my first build.

MisterNoisy

How much do cases impact builds? I would want this case but is it too small to be able to put in the parts to achieve 4k gaming with 60pfs+?

The biggest things that a case can impact are space for parts (most notably video cards and CPU coolers) and airflow. That case shouldn't be a problem on either front, but the top card on SLI/Crossfire setups will run hotter than normal when installed in most mATX boards, just because they're stacked right on top of each other.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
If you'll humor me gentlemen, I have a request.

Looking for a barebones gaming PC that is capable of playing Fallout New Vegas with a few gameplay-centric mods (i.e. no huge HD texture remap mods). Nothing fancy, don't need it for anything else.

Realistically, what is my price range? $200? $300?
Existing system?
Resolution, frame rate?

Case: Corsair 350D Window MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair 760W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($156.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1644.93
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-10 21:48 EDT-0400

I'm trying to build a 4k/60fps gaming rig but I'm so confused. . these were the only hardware I knew to get. I'm still trying to learn what is compatible. Seeking any help (budget it $3000)
Excellent Build Parts from OP should round you out.
My Dad is sick and tired of his slow ass PC that takes like 15 minutes to finish booting so he wants to get a new one. Can anyone pick some parts out for him?

Budget: He's looking to at most spend $500
Main Use: Just general web browsing, youtube, and some light video editing on the side for Family and Friends. It would always take him hours to do that on his old PC and it would often crash on him. Nothing too extreme though
Monitor Resolution: He's just planning on sticking with his 1366x768 monitor
Looking to reuse any parts?: Will not be reusing any parts. He'd like to leave it as a backup although he might reuse the HDD
When will you build?: No deadline but he'd like to have it sooner rather than later.
Will you be overclocking?: lolno

Wants a 2TB HDD preferably 7200rpm. Maybe a SSD for Windows and other essentials if it can fit in the budget
Buy a Dell with an i5 and add in an SSD ($70 for 120GB).
Can look at the cheap build in spreadsheet if you want and swap in the cheapest Intel Quad.

TokiDoki

Usually the concern is on the graphic cards . High end ones are usually very long and might obstruct the hard drive bracket if the case is small . Just done abit googling for you , judging of this person build from overclock.net , seems like it should be fine .

500x1000px-LL-6f662907_IMG_0981.jpeg

Obsidian 350d with GTX980

Is it possible to get a 120GB SSD ? You can pair it with a normal HDD for storage . It's only like $67.99 now 850 EVO . Your dad will be shocked to see the 15minutes shaved to 15seconds :D

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor ($372.95 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme4 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($184.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2800 Memory ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($177.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($177.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: Fractal Design Define S w/Window ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($117.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1376.64
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-11 00:10 EDT-0400

I'm pretty much settled on this build but I have a few questions.

Is the PSU that I've chosen a good one?

I know that the PSU is the one part where quality matters most because a bad one can potentially take your whole system down with it.

I haven't picked a GPU yet because I'm waiting for AMD's showing on the 16th. I'll either be getting one of their new cards or a 980ti.

Another thing I'm unsure about is the CPU cooler. Is the one I've picked out good enough or should I buy a more expensive one?

I do plan to try overclocking at some point but this will be my first time ever doing it and I'm not going to try and push the limits or anything.

Any help would be appreciated.

RGM79

Thanks! if it's better, I'm good with spending the extra $$$. It's okay if it goes a little over $750.
By the way, I should've asked you in the first place, but would it be better to wait for the 3xx series to release?
Also, forgot I have rewards points($700+ worth of points) which can be used for parts on Newegg, Amazon, and tiger direct. So the budget is bigger now. Though I'm a little hesitant on spending a lot on my first build.

You could aim for a build at $1000 or less, that'll allow you to choose some nicer parts (16GB RAM and SSD among other things) without going too overboard.

Here's an example build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($95.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($89.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X OC Video Card ($249.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define S w/Window ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $977.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-11 00:57 EDT-0400

If you can tell me how much you can spend at Newegg/Amazon/Tigerdirect, I wouldn't mind tailoring the build for best fit towards buying parts from those retailers. E.g., if you have $250 in credit at Newegg, then you may want to get either the processor or graphics card from there.

Dmax3901

Ok so here's my variation. I've upgraded a couple of components to the better suggestions you made, and also changed the vendors to the best option in terms of shipping. I've got a few questions at the bottom.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($322.00 @ PCCaseGear)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($99.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-K/CSM ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($163.00 @ Centre Com)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($85.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($289.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($145.00 @ Centre Com)
Total: $1202.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-10 11:49 AEST+1000

Just pulled the trigger on this. Very scary, most money I've dropped in one go in a very long time!

Thanks so very much for your help again RGM79, and everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom