• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

mylasthope

Neo Member
Anyone have any experience overclocking on a ASUS RoG Maximus VI Gene mobo? I OC'd my 4770k and set an adaptive voltage of 1.25V. However, I've seen my voltage spike up to 1.33V (checked in HWMonitor) when playing games (WoW, WC3). I know that software running AVX instructions will override the adaptive setting and get an additional .1 volts of power. I doubt these games fall into that category of software though.

mkenyon

Banned
Is there a good resource which factors in air-cooling OC performance for CPUs?

I'm looking for pure gaming performance and I don't mind going back to sandy bridge.
I'm not sure I understand.

However, top end real-world performance will be pretty much the same on high end air coolers as high end closed loop water coolers. The max overclock with sane voltage on a 4790K is within limits on a Hyper 212 Evo. It has plenty enough dissipation for the relatively low wattage on a 4790K.

The high end water stuff (or high end Air, for that matter) is best suited for high power consumption parts like the enthusiast series of processors on the 2011-V3 socket.

If that answered your question properly, then I think I get it. :p
Anyone have any experience overclocking on a ASUS RoG Maximus VI Gene mobo? I OC'd my 4770k and set an adaptive voltage of 1.25V. However, I've seen my voltage spike up to 1.33V (checked in HWMonitor) when playing games (WoW, WC3). I know that software running AVX instructions will override the adaptive setting and get an additional .1 volts of power. I doubt these games fall into that category of software though.
Those are both single threaded, so it could be that they were pushing a single core hard enough to need more juice? I'm not sure.

derder

I'm not sure I understand.

However, top end real-world performance will be pretty much the same on high end air coolers as high end closed loop water coolers. The max overclock with sane voltage on a 4790K is within limits on a Hyper 212 Evo. It has plenty enough dissipation for the relatively low wattage on a 4790K.

The high end water stuff (or high end Air, for that matter) is best suited for high power consumption parts like the enthusiast series of processors on the 2011-V3 socket.

If that answered your question properly, then I think I get it. :p

That answers most of my poorly articulated question :p

With the K-series and a Hyper 212 Evo, what will I see in terms of OC performance at each generation?

I remember when sandy bridge came out, it was easier to OC than Ivy Bridge, etc.

Basically I want to max my $/performance, but don't care about mobo features between the generation.

RGM79

With the K-series and a Hyper 212 Evo, what will I see in terms of OC performance at each generation?

I remember when sandy bridge came out, it was easier to OC than Ivy Bridge, etc.

Basically I want to max my $/performance, but don't care about mobo features between the generation.

Depends how high you overclock (according to your needs and capabilities), what generation/architecture it is (as you said, IB was not as good as SB), the motherboard being used to achieve the overclock (has to do with delivering power to the CPU properly and allowing settings), and silicon lottery (not all samples of the same CPU will achieve the same overclock at the same voltage settings) For a more apples-to-apples comparison, see these two articles.

http://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=1158
http://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=1164

mkenyon

Banned

With a Hyper 212 Evo

Sandy (1155) - 4.5-4.6ish
Ivy (1155) - Heatwall w/o delidding
Haswell (1150) - Heatwall w/o delidding
Haswell Devil's Canyon (1150) - 4.5-4.6 (silicon and/or heat limit w/o delidding)

Sandy-E - 4.2-4.5
Ivy-E - 4.2-4.5
Haswell-E - 4.2-4.5

Just rough estimates. But as a general rule, if you're on a consumer socket processor, expensive heatsinks are a waste of money because the processors don't produce enough heat (in watts) to make something that can dissipate 300W worth it, especially since they have relatively low max overclocks due to thermal issues with the TIM and heatspreader.

derder

Depends how high you overclock (according to your needs and capabilities), what generation/architecture it is (as you said, IB was not as good as SB), the motherboard being used to achieve the overclock (has to do with delivering power to the CPU properly and allowing settings), and silicon lottery (not all samples of the same CPU will achieve the same overclock at the same voltage settings) For a more apples-to-apples comparison, see these two articles.

http://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=1158
http://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=1164

Very... interesting. It appears that in most games, the performance increases at 1080p are lost in the noise (one benchmark even showed worse performance @ OC). This is exactly what I needed to see. What I would like to see now is how high each gen can go on air.

With a Hyper 212 Evo

Sandy (1155) - 4.5-4.6ish
Ivy (1155) - Heatwall w/o delidding
Haswell (1150) - Heatwall w/o delidding
Haswell Devil's Canyon (1150) - 4.5-4.6 (silicon and/or heat limit w/o delidding)

Sandy-E - 4.2-4.5
Ivy-E - 4.2-4.5
Haswell-E - 4.2-4.5

Just rough estimates. But as a general rule, if you're on a consumer socket processor, expensive heatsinks are a waste of money because the processors don't produce enough heat (in watts) to make something that can dissipate 300W worth it, especially since they have relatively low max overclocks due to thermal issues with the TIM and heatspreader.

Ah, so if I'm not going for an E series, I really shouldn't bother.

Is this anticipated to change with Skylake?

mkenyon

Banned
Impossible to say right now for sure, but probably not. The power consumption will continue to go down on their consumer socket processors, so a heatsink that can dissipate ~125-150W will continue to be able to do that.

I posted earlier about upgrading my mobo and cpu. I'm pretty sure I'll have to reformat. My question is: do I reformat everything, then physically install the hardware? Also, I have an OEM windows 7. Will that matter?

mkenyon

Banned
I posted earlier about upgrading my mobo and cpu. I'm pretty sure I'll have to reformat. My question is: do I reformat everything, then physically install the hardware? Also, I have an OEM windows 7. Will that matter?
Reformat after installing the new hardware.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Just wanna chime in and say I'm really, really happy with my Asus VX24AH.

CLJ9KnTUYAAYNI3.jpg

24" IPS panel @ 1440p

There's absolutely better, as it's by far the cheapest 1440p panel I could find, but after my disastrous g-sync monitor I'm stoked at how nice this image looks. sRGB looks a bit shit surprisingly, but some tinkering in the other modes gives a fantastic image. Very sharp, great colours. Slight lag as you'll find in all IPS monitors, but as someone super sensitive to input lag it's nothing serious at all. Thin bezel and simple, attractive design. Arrived without a single busted pixel, which is a first for me. And while it's not 27"+, I actually prefer the smaller size, high resolution monitors, as it leads to a frankly gorgeous pixel density. Playing 2480 x 1440 with this pixel density creates a stunningly smooth, sharp image basically devoid of even the slightest visible gap between the pixel.

So yeah. It wont be up to everyone's standard, but if you're looking for a very affordable yet decent IPS @ 1440p monitor and happy to go with a smaller display with greater pixel density over larger stuff, I highly recommend the VX24AH.

Even though I have three more days until my 970 arrives, I love my new system.

Moving my PS4 (until Uncharted 4 comes out) to start my PC fund was the smartest decision I've made in awhile.

Myworldbuilder.jpg

About to order an asus strix gtx 970

An 11" card that is going into an antec sonata III case which officially only fits 10.5 inch gpus.
Don't let me down random internet guy who posted on a forum that they are using this gpu in a sonata III and that is just barely fit.

It's also going to be powered by an antec earthwatts 500EA PSU which does not have the 8 pin connector it requires.

Ordering an adapter (2*6 ->8) too in case it doesn't work with just the 6 pin connector plugged into the 8 pin slot on the card (which it should though)

It's going to be an adventure

Part of me was tempted to order a new case and power supply but there really is nothing wrong with this sonata III and the antec earthwatts PSUs reliable and solid power supplies so it would be a big unneeded waste of money.

CLJ9KnTUYAAYNI3.jpg

24" IPS panel @ 1440p

There's absolutely better, as it's by far the cheapest 1440p panel I could find, but after my disastrous g-sync monitor I'm stoked at how nice this image looks. sRGB looks a bit shit surprisingly, but some tinkering in the other modes gives a fantastic image. Very sharp, great colours. Slight lag as you'll find in all IPS monitors, but as someone super sensitive to input lag it's nothing serious at all. Thin bezel and simple, attractive design. Arrived without a single busted pixel, which is a first for me. And while it's not 27"+, I actually prefer the smaller size, high resolution monitors, as it leads to a frankly gorgeous pixel density. Playing 2480 x 1440 with this pixel density creates a stunningly smooth, sharp image basically devoid of even the slightest visible gap between the pixel.

So yeah. It wont be up to everyone's standard, but if you're looking for a very affordable yet decent IPS @ 1440p monitor and happy to go with a smaller display with greater pixel density over larger stuff, I highly recommend the VX24AH.
Whoah :0 nice one

longdi

Banned
I used a lian li cube before. Love the feel of aluminium but they dont do enough with the intake deign and also no filters.... my cube box turns into a dust box every 2-3 months. :/

Smokey

My eyes must be reading these wrong because it looks like it's sucking air through the plastic front cover??

that's actually a glass panel too

Like with other dual-chamber designs we've seen, the motherboard is isolated in one half of the case, while the PSU and storage devices get a shared space of their own. But unlike those other bicameral cases, Lian-Li puts the PC-O8's intake fans in the front of the storage and PSU chamber. That might make sense with a liquid-cooling setup, since heated airflow from the radiator won't pass over the graphics card or CPU on its way out of the case. It's a little weird for air-cooling, though.

http://techreport.com/news/28387/dont-throw-stones-inside-lian-li-pc-o8

RGM79

Out of curiosity, how does the AMD Athlon X4 860K compare to similar Intel CPUs in terms of pricing?

According to Techspot, the G3258 when overclocked will generally offer greater performance and when compared to AMD's FM2+ socket, Intel's socket 1150 is a better bet when it comes to upgrades.

Also, comparing the processors themselves on PCPartPicker, the G3258 is $5 cheaper. Motherboards cost about the same, around $50 and higher.

Qvoth

Bought msi gtx 970, i5 4690 (not k I think), gigabyte h97m d3h because store employee said z97's difference is just slots for dual display cards (I think that's called sli?)
Hopefully they're not a lot worse than the one on OP's list :<

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CLJ9KnTUYAAYNI3.jpg[img]

24" IPS panel @ 1440p

So yeah. It wont be up to everyone's standard, but if you're looking for a very affordable yet decent IPS @ 1440p monitor and happy to go with a smaller display with greater pixel density over larger stuff, I highly recommend the VX24AH.[/QUOTE]

Hows the backlight bleed and ips glow on it? Those are two things I currently hate about my current monitor.

Sooo, I have a technical question.
Today I've discovered that my RAM work at 1333Mhz instead of 1600.
This is my ram: DDR3 Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 1600MHz 8GB (2x4GB) CL9.
I have an i5-2500 (not K) @ 3.30 Ghz and an Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3.
I've started the BIOS and under AI Tweaker, the profile is set on "auto" with target speeds:
- CPU @ 3.70 Ghz
- RAM @ 1333 Mhz.
If I change the profile with "XMP" it changes into:
- CPU @3.70 Ghz
- RAM @ 1600 Mhz.
So my question is, to work with 1600Mhz do I just set the XMP profile? Or there are other things? Do I risk something?

According to Techspot, the G3258 when overclocked will generally offer greater performance and when compared to AMD's FM2+ socket, Intel's socket 1150 is a better bet when it comes to upgrades.

Also, comparing the processors themselves on PCPartPicker, the G3258 is $5 cheaper. Motherboards cost about the same, around $50 and higher.

Interesting.

How about video encoding?

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
You want temps. What is it idling on?

between 34-36*c

Because eariler it was around the same temps but the rpm was around 1400rpm on idle so I reapplied some thermal paste agian

EDIT: now it's 1200rpm with 28*c on chrome So I guess the thermal paste settled in

Foxyone

Is there any reason to have DDR4 RAM over DDR3 RAM? The performance difference seems kinda negligible in gaming; does it even have a potential future of better gaming performance than DDR3? One of the main things about it seems to be increased speed of the RAM, but is there currently some sort of technological limitation holding back any potential benefit from faster RAM or something?

OraleeWey

Is there any reason to have DDR4 RAM over DDR3 RAM? The performance difference seems kinda negligible in gaming; does it even have a potential future of better gaming performance than DDR3? One of the main things about it seems to be increased speed of the RAM, but is there currently some sort of technological limitation holding back any potential benefit from faster RAM or something?
Don't quote me in this but I believe you need a Motherboard and a CPU that can support DDR4 RAM.

Dina

I have one too and it's great for my needs but you can't deny that Lian Li is just in an entirely different class. Why it costs $400 as well.

I suppose, I thought the 540 was costly enough as is, but it does what it sets out to do. The only thing I don't like is the hole in the bottom of the main enclosure, but apart from that this ticks the perfect price/quality ratio for me.

And yeah, 400 dollars is... yikes. Well past the point of diminishing returns, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom