• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oare

Just going off the Haz PC Build For "Excellent-Best Overall" on the OP...
But a few questions
- Is this PC necessarily Quiet? I keep my computer on overnight a lot and I seriously don't Engines revving while I'm sleeping. I'm not sure what factors determine that but I refuse to use a water cooler since I screwed up and have nightmares to this day.

The main factors for noise are fans and HDDs.
Having built a decently quiet PC myself (not disturbing at 1ft on idle at night, barely audible at 6 ft., and basically inaudible at 10ft.) I remember looking at the Hyper 212 EVO and it was very good in terms of noise.
Here's a link comparing a large number of CPU coolers noise levels:
http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2655&page=3

When idling, the Hyper 212 EVO outputs about 30dB, which is very quiet (47dB under load).
As for the HDD, it doesn't seem to be particularly noisy (the WD10EZEX seems to be around 30dB) so that should be fine. SSDs are completely quiet.
For the GPU, I'd advise you to read reviews with noise indications before you choose your brand. They're not all made equal in that regard.
PSUs can also be noisy (since they're equipped with cooling fans). According to Google, the SeaSonic mk12II can apparently be very noisy under load.

That said, CPU cooler, GPU cooler and PSU cooler fans are often fairly quiet under light loads, so they're not going to be your biggest area of concern during the night, unless you mine bitcoins like it's 2012.

The main thing I'd take a serious look at are the case fans, because these can be loud even when your PC is idle or under light load. Also, the more you have, the louder. So if possible, be sure to check how loud those sold with the case you're eyeing are. Fans bundled with good cases tend to be decent, but it's worth double-checking.

If you need, there are plenty of quiet case fans available. My case has some Zalman and Gelid fans that are pretty good in that regard.
Remember that basically, in order to achieve the same airflow, a small fan will need to rotate a lot faster than a bigger one, so whenever possible, use 14mm fans with low dB ratings.
Also, vibrations are a huge factor that's easy to overlook. Both fans and HDDs produce vibrations, and the noise made by those vibrations is greatly amplified by the case.
Using rubber washers on the HDD screws can offset that to an extent. Otherwise, there are extremely efficient casings you can buy to insulate drives (the only ones I know are the Smart Drive series by Grow Up Japan, but they're expensive and require you to put your HDDs in 5.25 bays).
For fans, the absolute best solution is this:
http://www.ainex.jp/products/ma-023a.htm
These are rubber fixations designed to replace screws on case fans and absorb vibrations.
I swear by those; they're night and day even compared to screws with washers.

In order to make your machine further quiet, one solution would be to add a 3.5 or 5.25 inch fan control array, which allows you to manually dial down fan rotation speeds. If you have enough large fans (120mm or preferably 140mm) and a case with plenty of room and air openings, chances are you'll be able to keep things decently cool inside even at very low speeds.
Then when you game, or do some heavy work, you can crank up the fans back to their normal rotation speeds.

Alternatively, you could also use PWM enabled fans.
They're a lot less cumbersome than manually controlled regular fans, but more expensive (and you'd most likely need to buy replacements for the regular fans bundled with your case).

kennah

I'm seriosuly thinking into (finally) building my first PC and was wondering what you guys thought of this:

http://pcpartpicker.com/guide/8Z2Ff7/fx-8350-r9-390

I know it's mostly AMD, but i wanna be able to throw anything at this thing and get 1080p/60FPS. Will it be sufficient?

I get that you're trying to do a bit of a budget... but the 8350 was released 3 years ago.

You can get used Intel processors that out perform it, or you can get current processors for the same price that out perform it at half the cores.

Look at the guides in the OP.

Durante

Choosing an AMD CPU really makes very little sense at this point. Especially if you combine it with an AMD GPU (which requires more sequential CPU performance than a NV GPU).

g23

European pre-madonna
I get that you're trying to do a bit of a budget... but the 8350 was released 3 years ago.

You can get used Intel processors that out perform it, or you can get current processors for the same price that out perform it at half the cores.

I see! I'll def take a look! but would you say swapping the 8350 for a more recent intel processor would make more sense?

LilJoka

Yep an just to add, you have no upgrade path. Dead socket.

I see! I'll def take a look! but would you say swapping the 8350 for a more recent intel processor would make more sense?

Yes, even an i3.
Or if you want to really get bang for buck, go Z97 and i5 or even Z77 and i7 3770 (can overclock to 4.2Ghz on a Z series board non K CPU). And personally i would go for the MSI GAMER GTX 970 and overclock it.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($79.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury White 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($41.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($85.00 @ Adorama)
Storage: Toshiba 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($307.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: Cooler Master VSM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($56.90 @ Newegg)
Total: $921.63
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-22 14:26 EST-0500

Hi All,

I am coming up on the three year anniversary of my computer build, and that means everything needs to come crashing down.

For the past 6 months, I have been sent my video card, the Gigabyte 7970, in for 2 RMAs, only to have them not work properly, or at least I perceive it to be the video cards problem. When booting windows I get the following screens. When booting, I get the one with the red vertical lines going down my screen and then it just goes to a black screen or variant of that and just dead ends there: Pictures here

When I try the integrated graphics card, it doesn't have this problem. I even tried to run my pc on my friend's GTX 460, and it runs. Is my diagnosis probably right that it is the video card? Could it be a power issue? I have a Seasonic 80Plus Power Supply M12II 620 BRONZE.

I am just about to reach the end of the my three year warranty (less than 30 days left) and I am a little reluctant to pay to send it in again if this just keeps happening since I have already spent about 60 to 70 dollars on shipping. Any suggestions here? Should I just throw in the towel and get a new card?

Any help would be appreciated.

LilJoka

Hi All,

I am coming up on the three year anniversary of my computer build, and that means everything needs to come crashing down.

For the past 6 months, I have been sent my video card, the Gigabyte 7970, in for 2 RMAs, only to have them not work properly, or at least I perceive it to be the video cards problem. When booting windows I get the following screens. When booting, I get the one with the red vertical lines going down my screen and then it just goes to a black screen or variant of that and just dead ends there: Pictures here

When I try the integrated graphics card, it doesn't have this problem. I even tried to run my pc on my friend's GTX 460, and it runs. Is my diagnosis probably right that it is the video card? Could it be a power issue? I have a Seasonic 80Plus Power Supply M12II 620 BRONZE.

I am just about to reach the end of the my three year warranty (less than 30 days left) and I am a little reluctant to pay to send it in again if this just keeps happening since I have already spent about 60 to 70 dollars on shipping. Any suggestions here? Should I just throw in the towel and get a new card?

Any help would be appreciated.

I would be RMAing again and get them to pay shipping.

I would be RMAing again and get them to pay shipping.

I will try that again. Last time I asked them to do it, they ignored me and issued an RMA. Doesn't help that is clearly tech support from outside the United States.

But just to be sure, you agree that it is the video card?

LilJoka

I will try that again. Last time I asked them to do it, they ignored me and issued an RMA. Doesn't help that is clearly tech support from outside the United States.

But just to be sure, you agree that it is the video card?

Yes it's very likely the GPU since it works fine with onboard and that PSU is quality.

FinKL

Why does the digital version of Windows 10 cost more than physical everywhere? Does anywhere sell the digital version for under $100?
I found Microsoft software swap on Reddit and see pretty big discounts on keys. Not sure what the stance is on selling keys through people is here. Seems like they get bulk keys on discount for companies and sell the remaining. Some have reported keys not working after a while so it's always a risk, but I haven't found it cheaper without having a student discount.

maven

I found Microsoft software swap on Reddit and see pretty big discounts on keys. Not sure what the stance is on selling keys through people is here. Seems like they get bulk keys on discount for companies and sell the remaining. Some have reported keys not working after a while so it's always a risk, but I haven't found it cheaper without having a student discount.

I've used it a few times (window 8.1 and 10). No issues so far, but I bought in knowing that it might all go to shit.

PC GAF do high end graphics cards retain their values pretty well? I bought a gtx 770 a little over a year ago for $270 and am now selling it for $207. I essentially paid $67 to use it for that 1.5 years I had it. Now I'm thinking about get a zotac 980 ti which i can get for around $580 (check slickdeals). DO graphics cards like these maintain their values relatively well over a 2 year span?

ABK

Banned
I have just one simple question. 2 or 4GB's of VRAM for 1080p? This would be either on a GTX 960 or a Radeon 380. It seems in most cases you're paying like $30-$40 more for the 4GB which isn't that big of a deal for me but will I actually need it for the settings I'll be running games at with one of those cards?

I guess I should also ask 960 or 380? It seems like the 380 is the more powerful card but I worry about AMD's drivers after using a 6950 for over 3 years and it seems more games are optimized for Nvidia than AMD.

OraleeWey

This is my version which is a little bit cheaper than LilJoka's but with a manufacturer Overclocked GPU and 16gb RAM. You can drop one stick of RAM making it 8gb and a bit cheaper.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Micro Center)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($33.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($79.99 @ Micro Center)
Storage: Toshiba Product Series:DT01ACA 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0 Video Card ($329.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($37.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: XFX TS 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($26.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $887.79
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-22 18:08 EST-0500

PC GAF do high end graphics cards retain their values pretty well? I bought a gtx 770 a little over a year ago for $270 and am now selling it for $207. I essentially paid $67 to use it for that 1.5 years I had it. Now I'm thinking about get a zotac 980 ti which i can get for around $580 (check slickdeals). DO graphics cards like these maintain their values relatively well over a 2 year span?

Not really, though it depends a lot on what happens in the GPU market. Higher-end CPUs tend to do well with retaining their value, though that might reflect how much (or how little) progress has been made in the last few years on that end.

BubbaMc

Hi all, I'm looking to build 2 PCs for my kids with the only requirement that they can run Minecraft at 60fps or higher. Ideally I would prefer to use 1440p displays, however if this is going to be much more expensive I guess 1080p would be ok.

I'd like to not spend any more than I need to. If anyone could offer suggestions as to what I need it would be much appreciated.

Took me 6 hours to put together my desk. The only problem is, I don't have anywhere ton put my pc but on the floor which is carpet. That certainly will pick up a crap ton of dust :/

Waiting for black Friday to either buy a little shelving unit to put it in or maybe one of those hard clear floor thingies that let you roll around easier on your office chair. Might not be viable for it but idk

Took me 6 hours to put together my desk. The only problem is, I don't have anywhere ton put my pc but on the floor which is carpet. That certainly will pick up a crap ton of dust :/

Waiting for black Friday to either buy a little shelving unit to put it in or maybe one of those hard clear floor thingies that let you roll around easier on your office chair. Might not be viable for it but idk

You could just put a piece of wood or something under it, assuming you don't have super long carpet (which might make it tip over). Not that important, just keep decent ventilation.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Hey guys, today is Amazon.it 5 years Anniversary Sale and later in the afternoon a few gpu offers will go up, among them will be

Zotac ZT-90505-10P NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB

and

ZOTAC GeForce GTX 980 AMP! Edition, 4GB GDDR5

I actually need a new GPU, what would be a smashing price for the latter considering what you can get in the EU market atm? Is it still a great card which will carry me through the whole gen like my trusty HD5850 did last gen? The Ti 6GB looks super expensive so even if heavily discounted I recon it'd still be too much for what I want to spend, also I guess it is overkill for 1080p@60fps gaming?

Thanks!

RGM79

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (€244.03 @ Mindfactory)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (€35.55 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard (€114.00 @ Mindfactory)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (€49.43 @ Mindfactory)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€52.75 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (€354.89 @ Mindfactory)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case (€62.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (€89.83 @ Mindfactory)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer
Total: €1003.37
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-22 17:17 CET+0100

How is this build ? Where could I improve ?
The i5 4690K should be paired with a Z97 motherboard for best functionality. H97 will work, but overclocking will either not be possible or highly limited. I'd look for a different power supply, perhaps something with higher wattage or quality. If you won't really need to use the DVD drive, you could drop that from the parts list.

For a 1000 Euro budget, this is what I'd recommend:

1 x Western Digital WD Blue 1TB, 64MB Cache, SATA 6Gb/s (WD10EZEX)
1 x Intel Core i5-6600K, 4x 3.50GHz, boxed ohne Kühler (BX80662I56600K)
1 x GeIL Dragon RAM white IC DIMM Kit 8GB, DDR4-3000, CL15-17-17-35 (GWW48GB3000C15DC)
1 x ASUS STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5, GeForce GTX 970, 4GB GDDR5, 2x DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort (90YV07F0-M0NA00)
1 x Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI
1 x Cooler Master Hyper 212X (RR-212X-20PM-R1)
1 x Corsair Carbide Series 200R (CC-9011023-WW)
1 x XFX TS Gold Series 650W ATX 2.31 (P1-650G-TS3X)
Summe aller Bestpreise: € 978,22

That parts list includes Intel's newest Skylake processor and Z170 motherboard line.

Can I connect an SSD to the Marvell ports on my MB (Gigabyte Z87 UD3H) ? I've checked device manager and my Marvell drivers are installed.
I've heard pretty bad stories about using those posts in the past hence why I'm asking, some say it's better to leave them alone or only connect optical drives.

Yes, you can. However, what else do you have plugged in to the rest of your SATA ports? There should be six SATA ports from the Intel controller. It'd be better to plug in SSDs to those ports instead, and then whatever is left can be plugged in to the Marvell controlled SATA ports.

Hey everyone, after years of waiting I decided to finally upgrade my scrubby "gaming lappy" especially with sales coming this Black Friday/ Cyber Monday. But I'm not sure about up and coming good parts that will come out soon...

Just going off the Haz PC Build For "Excellent-Best Overall" on the OP...
But a few questions
- Is this PC necessarily Quiet? I keep my computer on overnight a lot and I seriously don't Engines revving while I'm sleeping. I'm not sure what factors determine that but I refuse to use a water cooler since I screwed up and have nightmares to this day.
- Still stressed over the GTX970 vs. the AMD R9 290 because of the 3.5 vRAM meme, the games I run are Phantasy Star Online 2, Killing Floor 2, and TERA. I still plan on getting the GTX970 but how devastating would that be for the games I play (I have intention of playing GTA5 on 4k or anything like that)

I'll probably have more questions along the way but thats about it for now.

1. Not necessarily, but we can recommend a parts list for you geared specifically toward silence.
2. I think you meant to say you didn't have any intentions of playing at 4K resolution. For the games you mentioned, the GTX 970 should be more than enough to handle them.

So I need some help with a computer for my nephew. He has a laptop right now which seems to not cut it any more. My siter in law wants him t buy a new one for Christmas. She wants to spend around 700 Euro for the PC inlcuding a TFT. My nephew turns 12 at the beginning of next year and uses the computer mainly for Youtube and Minecraft (who would have thought).

I used the budget build in the OT as a template but I am having some problems with the GPU and TFT. Maybe someone can help me out with this.

Here is what I have so far.
And for people who want to check Links:

http://abload.de/img/budget3xsb0.jpg

Alternately https://www.caseking.de would be another shop. The GPU section there is somewhat more limited as the "old" AMD GPUs are not available there.

Do you prefer to order from mindfactory.de and caseking.de, or are other retailers okay? I'd recommend looking at geizhals.de, it's a great price comparison shopping website especially for Germany and the EU.

Oxn

How are you selling it?

I can only get around $200 for my 780 on ebay.

RGM79

I have just one simple question. 2 or 4GB's of VRAM for 1080p? This would be either on a GTX 960 or a Radeon 380. It seems in most cases you're paying like $30-$40 more for the 4GB which isn't that big of a deal for me but will I actually need it for the settings I'll be running games at with one of those cards?

I guess I should also ask 960 or 380? It seems like the 380 is the more powerful card but I worry about AMD's drivers after using a 6950 for over 3 years and it seems more games are optimized for Nvidia than AMD.

I'd recommend getting a 4GB graphics card if you want it to last. No point in saving $40 just to become bottlenecked sooner.

Whether you go with Nvidia or AMD will depend on how well it performs in the games that you care about the most. Look up some benchmarks and do a little bit of research.

Hi all, I'm looking to build 2 PCs for my kids with the only requirement that they can run Minecraft at 60fps or higher. Ideally I would prefer to use 1440p displays, however if this is going to be much more expensive I guess 1080p would be ok.

I'd like to not spend any more than I need to. If anyone could offer suggestions as to what I need it would be much appreciated.

Minecraft has pretty low requirements, but will they be running a lot of mods? That might push the required specs a bit higher.

Do you have any idea of how much of a budget you'd want to limit both PCs to?

This is my version which is a little bit cheaper than LilJoka's but with a manufacturer Overclocked GPU and 16gb RAM. You can drop one stick of RAM making it 8gb and a bit cheaper.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Micro Center)
Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($79.99 @ Micro Center)
Storage: Toshiba Product Series:DT01ACA 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0 Video Card ($329.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($37.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: XFX TS 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($26.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $887.79
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-22 18:08 EST-0500

It should be said that the price on that CPU is in-store only purchase at Microcenter. Unfortunately not everyone can get to a Microcenter store, otherwise we'd recommend it more often.

Quotient

Question for Tech-Gaf.

So i have put my PC together - minus the HDD and GTX 970. I turn on the PC and get the CPU fan spinning and what seems like power to the motherboard, but i don't have a case speaker or any speakers on the motherboard so i can't hear a post beep.

My motherboard supports on board video via HDMI and DP - unfortunately my the only display port cable i have is mini so i am forced to plug the PC into my TV. I am not getting any signal on the TV at all, no indications of the HDMI handshake, nothing.

I have a Node 304, ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX and I7-6700K.

Any ideas?

Question for Tech-Gaf.

So i have put my PC together - minus the HDD and GTX 970. I turn on the PC and get the CPU fan spinning and what seems like power to the motherboard, but i don't have a case speaker or any speakers on the motherboard so i can't hear a post beep.

My motherboard supports on board video via HDMI and DP - unfortunately my the only display port cable i have is mini so i am forced to plug the PC into my TV. I am not getting any signal on the TV at all, no indications of the HDMI handshake, nothing.

I have a Node 304, ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX and I7-6700K.

Any ideas?

Can you try HDMI?

Quotient

Can you try HDMI?

I did and it didn't work for HDMI port 3 on my TV. I tried HMDI port 2 and after about 30 seconds or so it worked. I guess it took some time to do the handshake. Also it seems my TV's HMDI port 3 is dead.

EDIT: Also my Yamaha receiver wouldn't display signal on the front port. Odd.

OraleeWey

It should be said that the price on that CPU is in-store only purchase at Microcenter. Unfortunately not everyone can get to a Microcenter store, otherwise we'd recommend it more often.
I see. No wonder it was showing $887.79 total when I copied-pasted. It still comes to $912.80 if you click the link (shows $912.80 for me) or buy the CPU from Newegg.

After cloning my main SSD to a new SSD where my Windows 10 resides, now anytime I try to make changes within the drive it says Permission Denied with a "You need to confirm this action" with a [Shield] Continue button. Anyone know how to let them know I'm the admin so these will stop?

RGM79

After cloning my main SSD to a new SSD where my Windows 10 resides, now anytime I try to make changes within the drive it says Permission Denied with a "You need to confirm this action" with a [Shield] Continue button. Anyone know how to let them know I'm the admin so these will stop?

Cloning shouldn't have caused that. Is is a UAC prompt or is it something else? A screenshot would be nice.

Cloning shouldn't have caused that. Is is a UAC prompt or is it something else? A screenshot would be nice.

I never had problems writing on my old C drive. Now even when I try to make a new folder, rename an old folder, save any file, i get this:

(In this case I was simply trying to make a new folder in C:\Program Files (x86)

BZVsRgS.png

Quotient

Does a single motherboard header provide enough power for 3 fans?

The Node 304 has 3 case fans (2 font and i rear) and all three can be powered by a molex connector. My PSU provides a cable that is a molex on one end and fan header on the other. Would a single motherboard fan header provide enough power for 3 case fans?

RGM79

So how good a deal is this really? I've been trying to figure out the best time to pull the trigger. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OAJ412U/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Well, $78 isn't a bad price, it's one of the lowest prices it's ever been. According to PCPartPicker's price tracker it has been at $90 or so since August, and in the last few weeks has been hovering at the ~$85 mark. It's a minor discount.

If you can spring for the 500GB model, it'd be a better deal which Captain Felafel helpfully pointed out earlier. It's $135 after coupon code EMCKKNN28 and comes with a redeemable code for Assassin's Creed Syndicate. If you don't care for that game, you can sell the code and overall the SSD would be even cheaper. The price tracker for the 500GB model has it pinned at $160 recently, so $135 with a free game is pretty good.

I never had problems writing on my old C drive. Now even when I try to make a new folder, rename an old folder, save any file, i get this:

(In this case I was simply trying to make a new folder in C:\Program Files (x86)

BZVsRgS.png

Show me the security tab of the properties window of the drive that Windows is installed on. This is what it looks like for me, and I don't have a warning window pop up for me when I try to create a new folder in that place.
nmtog09.jpg

Also, check if your user account is in those groups. Try adding it if it isn't, that may solve it. According to the "effective access" tab, my account has full access and isn't limited.

bNab5FW.jpg

Another solution may be to reformat and reinstall.. I vaguely remember someone else reporting having the exact same issue in this thread sometime in the last three months.. but I don't remember who or if he got his issue resolved.

Does a single motherboard header provide enough power for 3 fans?

The Node 304 has 3 case fans (2 font and i rear) and all three can be powered by a molex connector. My PSU provides a cable that is a molex on one end and fan header on the other. Would a single motherboard fan header provide enough power for 3 case fans?

As far as I know, a header should provide enough power, but I'm not sure what cable you're talking about. Wait, does the adaptor you're talking about have only one wire or three wires? I'm a bit lost, care to show a picture of the adaptor you're talking about?

Your motherboard may or may not mention how much power the fan headers can deal with, what motherboard model do you have again?

Quotient

As far as I know, a header should provide enough power, but I'm not sure what cable you're talking about. Wait, does the adaptor you're talking about have only one wire or three wires? I'm a bit lost, care to show a picture of the adaptor you're talking about?

Your motherboard may or may not mention how much power the fan headers can deal with, what motherboard model do you have again?

I just realized the cable is a fan header to male molex and the Node 304 cases fans are powered by a male molex as well. Bugger.

Here is a photo of the cable i was talking about:

7jGf5iQ.jpg

My motherboard is the ASRock Fatality Z170 Gaming ITX

I don't think it has more than 3 fan headers (1 CPU and 2 chassis), so i assume my only option to power the 3 case fans is via molex.

EDIT: Photo of the Node 304 fan controller.

innercablefc.jpg

Well, $78 isn't a bad price, it's one of the lowest prices it's ever been. According to PCPartPicker's price tracker it has been at $90 or so since August, and in the last few weeks has been hovering at the ~$85 mark. It's a minor discount.

If you can spring for the 500GB model, it'd be a better deal which Captain Felafel helpfully pointed out earlier. It's $135 after coupon code EMCKKNN28 and comes with a redeemable code for Assassin's Creed Syndicate. If you don't care for that game, you can sell the code and overall the SSD would be even cheaper. The price tracker for the 500GB model has it pinned at $160 recently, so $135 with a free game is pretty good.

Show me the security tab of the properties window of the drive that Windows is installed on. This is what it looks like for me, and I don't have a warning window pop up for me when I try to create a new folder in that place.
nmtog09.jpg

Also, check if your user account is in those groups. Try adding it if it isn't, that may solve it.

Another solution may be to reformat and reinstall.. I vaguely remember someone else reporting having the exact same issue in this thread sometime in the last three months.. but I don't remember who or if he got his issue resolved.

Ok I found out it's the "Program Files (x86)" folder. I can make new folders/files just fine at the C:\ home level just fine. So now I'm looking into the properties of the above folder.

I can't edit my permissions on that folder on my C drive. Left is my secondary drive that has my permissions that I can edit. Right is my new C drive Program Files that isn't allowing me to edit:

1lc0Nlb.png

Hmm I don't have any on the Effective Access tab:

98jOnLt.png

MXRider

I have an old pc I would like to convert to a HTPC for my living room. It has a micro ATX motherboard (this) and a graphics card (this) in it which has a depth of 9.5 in and height of 4.3 in.

Does anyone know of a good HTPC case that will fit my GPU and mobo?

Edit: No optical drive slot is preferred

RGM79

I just realized the cable is a fan header to male molex and the Node 304 cases fans are powered by a male molex as well. Bugger.

Here is a photo of the cable i was talking about:

http://i.imgur.com/7jGf5iQ.jpg

My motherboard is the ASRock Fatality Z170 Gaming ITX

I don't think it has more than 3 fan headers (1 CPU and 2 chassis), so i assume my only option to power the 3 case fans is via molex.

EDIT: Photo of the Node 304 fan controller.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Fractal_Design/NODE_304/images/innercablefc.jpg
That adaptor cable isn't for fans, it's called a berg connector and it powers floppy drives. The Node 304's fan controller should be connected to the power supply by molex connector, and the fans connected to the fan connectors. It doesn't connect to the motherboard in any way. The fan speed is controlled by the switch on the outside of the case.

Ok I found out it's the "Program Files (x86)" folder. I can make new folders/files just fine at the C:\ home level just fine. So now I'm looking into the properties of the above folder.

I can't edit my permissions on that folder on my C drive. Left is my secondary drive that has my permissions that I can edit. Right is my new C drive Program Files that isn't allowing me to edit:

https://i.imgur.com/1lc0Nlb.png

Hmm I don't have any on the Effective Access tab:

https://i.imgur.com/98jOnLt.png

Try adding your account name to the administrators group. Follow these instructions. As for the effective access tab and the "select user or group" dialog window, type the name of your user account into the "enter the object name to select" box, then click on check names to have Windows automatically fix the name for you, then click "ok".

I have an old pc I would like to convert to a HTPC for my living room. It has a micro ATX motherboard (this) and a graphics card (this) in it which has a depth of 9.5 in and height of 4.3 in.

Does anyone know of a good HTPC case that will fit my GPU and mobo?

Are you looking for any kind of specific case? Cube style ok? Horizontal "A/V equipment" style case? Or upright tower? Silverstone's Grandia line is nice, they're the horizontal type and support full size graphics cards like your 4870.

Quotient

That adaptor cable isn't for fans, it's called a berg connector and it powers floppy drives. The Node 304's fan controller should be connected to the power supply by molex connector, and the fans connected to the fan connectors. It doesn't connect to the motherboard in any way. The fan speed is controlled by the switch on the outside of the case.

Oh. Thanks for the clarification! I found another cable in the PSU bag (seasonic 650) that connects from the PSU to the fan controller molex.

Also I am surprised that PSU's still provide cables for floppy drives.

RGM79

Oh. Thanks for the clarification! I found another cable in the PSU bag (seasonic 650) that connects from the PSU to the fan controller molex.

Also I am surprised that PSU's still provide cables for floppy drives.

Yeah, it's weird how they still can't get rid of those things entirely, no one uses it and USB floppy drives (whoever still uses them) don't need berg power cables at all. At least it's not hard-wired to the PSU, I still have some PSUs that have that.

Try adding your account name to the administrators group. Follow these instructions. As for the effective access tab and the "select user or group" dialog window, type the name of your user account into the "enter the object name to select" box, then click on check names to have Windows automatically fix the name for you, then click "ok".

I finally got it! I had to change the Owner from TrustedInstaller to me, then I let it change the Owner the subfolders/files as well. After that, I was able to change my permissions to have full permissions. Thanks for all your help!!

RGM79

I finally got it! I had to change the Owner from TrustedInstaller to me, then I let it change the Owner the subfolders/files as well. After that, I was able to change my permissions to have full permissions. Thanks for all your help!!

That wasn't the solution I had in mind, but it's good to hear it works for you. If you ever need to change the owner back to TrustedInstaller for any reason (can't think of any but in case anything broke), look at this link for instructions.

Mr. Robot

Can anyone enlighten me on bottlenecking?, im gonna get a r9 390 that i want to pair with a haswell or skylake i5K but i currently have an i3 2120 (sandy bridge) cpu, and want to use it for the time until i find a good cpu/mb combo, lets say i can play farcry 4 at 900p with mid settings fine with a 6870, will i notice a difference if i put the 390 or will i get stuck on 720p/900p due to the processor?

Need to fully clean some HDDs before selling so I must boot to DBAN.
Problem is, I got GPT-formatted SSD, SecureBoot enabled and CSM (Compatiblity Support Module) disabled on my ASUS Z87 PRO.
DBAN's CD won't boot of course.

Question is: can I safely disable SecureBoot & CSM , run DBAN and then re-enable them afterwards without issues? Asking because MSFT's own Technet says "After disabling Secure Boot and installing other software and hardware, it may be difficult to re-activate Secure Boot without restoring your PC to the factory state."

Reformat/reinstall is out of the question.

edit: bonus question, if this fails, any other options for full HDD wipe that doesn't involve pre boot activities ala DBAN?

Ok so here's a list of parts for my new PC. I already bought the chassis, GPU (found a cheap deal so opted for this instead of Gigabyte G1), cooler and PSU (I know 1000w is overkill but again, found a really good deal).

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($254.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.99 @ Micro Center)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($144.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($96.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($147.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($632.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair Air 240 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000G2 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($154.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1602.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-23 07:37 EST-0500

Now if anyone could help me out with a couple of questions that'd be awesome as I am mentally handicapped when it comes to measurements and stuff.

1) This chassis comes with 3 fans, 2 at the front and 1 at the top. The front ones will be replaced with the H100i GTX's radiator I assume. So I'll need 2 120mm for top and 2 80mm for the back. Should I also get 2 fans for the bottom? Will there even be any space under the 980 TI? And how useful would they be anyway?

2) Which fans should I buy? I know the Noctua ones are considered the best ones out there but they look a little expensive and are a very hideous shade of brown. I'd definitely prefer quiet fans though. I'd also love to get some with LEDs on them, I've seen several rigs online with fans that bathe the entire casing in light. So are there viable quiet LED fans out there, or do people just put LED strips on them?

3) Would I need some sort of additional wires and/or splitter to attach all these fans to my motherboard? If yes, could someone please link one on Amazon?

4) I've heard the H100i GTX fans are loud. Any thoughts on this? Also, assuming if I'm getting LED fans I'd like the same color for this cooler's fans too.

Thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom