• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

IJoel

When is the 6700k going to be out for sale in U.S.? So annoyed I can't find it yet. Been itching to build a new PC for quite a while now.

Well did my first build ever with an i5 4590 and a GTX 970 in a mini ITX case. Took me a little under two hours and everything actually worked properly to my surprise. Unfortunately I'm too tired to setup Steam tonight, but I did setup Plex Home Theater on it and that's working right. Was actually easier to build than I thought going in, but it feels good to have a machine that I built from the ground up.

Man I'd love to try and build my pc all by myself, but I don't think I've ever opened up a PC in the first place. Even with tons of fantastic YT tutorials, I'm too afraid that I'll screw something up.

Waiting for my replacement parts. So depressed that my first attempt (ok, I did one 15 years) was a big fat failure, and also not knowing if I fucked it or the mobo/chip were fucked. Hope I get it figured out, because tinkering with the pc has been the most fun I've had with a hobby in a while.

Man I'd love to try and build my pc all by myself, but I don't think I've ever opened up a PC in the first place. Even with tons of fantastic YT tutorials, I'm too afraid that I'll screw something up.

Go for it! It was my first build and I never tinker with computers and it only took me a little less than two hours. Between YT walkthroughs and the manuals that came withwy case and mobo it was easier than I though. Toughest part for me honestly was the fact that I was building in a small case and have big hands (I'm 6'2"). Made the last few parts a bit tough to put in quickly as I didn't have much room to work with. I had honestly thought about doing this for at least 2 years, finally decided to force myself to learn, and bought the parts earlier this week. This thread and Reddit r/buildapc were quite helpful. I'm really glad I decided to do it.

WEGGLES

Oh yeah! so much for "next month" for the cpu to arrive!

Oh no! I stupidly overlooked cpu cooling. It doesn't come with a stock cooler and I don't have any spare thermal grease to re-use my old cooler! Guess I'll wait until tomorrow.

wintermute181

Neo Member
Just moved overseas and thinking of doing a build here. Seems to be a good time to buy, except GPUs seem to be more or less the same models as last year? Any idea when the next set of GTX cards will come out?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Just my luck the PSU I bought, Corsair HX750i, looks DOA. And the Corsair customer support isn't available now, nor will they be tomorrow when I get home or over the weekend.

The chances of any of your components being DOA is probably less than 1%. Honestly the biggest risk is bricking one of your components from a static shock. And this can be easily avoided by getting an anti static wrist strap.

Used one.

Edit: oops. Sorry thought you were quoting me :)

RGM79

Guys I am upgrading my cpu and mobo, can I use the os already installed on my ssd if i reformat it? Or I need to buy a new os?

Most likely you'll need to reinstall the OS. Only buy another one as a last resort.

Just moved overseas and thinking of doing a build here. Seems to be a good time to buy, except GPUs seem to be more or less the same models as last year? Any idea when the next set of GTX cards will come out?

Sometime in 2016.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Well I can at least use my old TX750W PSU until my new one gets RMAd. Really surprised the thing was totally dead.

Everything though seems to be in working order though.

R0C

Existing Parts planning to use :-

Motherboard - GIGABYTE-B75M-D3H
Corsair Vengeance 4GB x2 1600MHz
1X Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB
1X Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 500GB

New Parts :-

Core i5 3570 3.4Ghz (No overclocking)
Seasonic S12II 520W
GTX 970 (Gaming on 1080p)

Problem ?

Which GTX 970 ?

I currently have CM Elite 310 and if i get a Zotac card (5 years warranty is a plus ) which is the smallest would fit well and less chance of heating , if i go for MSI then i would require to get a new Cabinet for which i need which - NXZT S340 or CM 690 II/III ?

What would you advise should i go for new cabinet or get the Zotac Card ?

Oogedei

Everybody has to start from this point and the majority is doing great. There are some detailed and helpful YT tutorials. Sure, it takes some time but it's not as hard as you think it is. Just try it!

The chances of any of your components being DOA is probably less than 1%. Honestly the biggest risk is bricking one of your components from a static shock. And this can be easily avoided by getting an anti static wrist strap.

Alright, then I think I'm gonna go ahead and place the order for the CPU/SSD. *_*

Tendo

My monitor just shit the bed. Are the monitors in the OP still considered "the best" in their ranges? I'm not sure if g-sync is worth the extra cash or not. I'm currently on a 27 inch ASUS but I feel that is to big for me and want to downsize. Any quick suggestions outside of the OP?

RGM79

Existing Parts planning to use :-

Motherboard - GIGABYTE-B75M-D3H
Corsair Vengeance 4GB x2 1600MHz
1X Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB
1X Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 500GB

New Parts :-

Core i5 3570 3.4Ghz (No overclocking)
Seasonic S12II 520W
GTX 970 (Gaming on 1080p)

Problem ?

Which GTX 970 ?

I currently have CM Elite 310 and if i get a Zotac card (5 years warranty is a plus ) which is the smallest would fit well and less chance of heating , if i go for MSI then i would require to get a new Cabinet for which i need which - NXZT S340 or CM 690 II/III ?

What would you advise should i go for new cabinet or get the Zotac Card ?

What's your location and budget? Some other brands of GTX 970 should fit as well, like EVGA's models which all measure in at less than 270mm.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Hmm Windows we won't boot when I have XMP turned on. I get system errors saying it can't access a whole bunch of files in in widowssystem. And even after disabling it doesn't seem to play nice with this Ripjaw V RAM might rma it and get some Ripjaw 4s in 4x4 config. Might be this skylake optimized ram doesn't play nice with x99 after all.

RGM79

Hmm Windows we won't boot when I have XMP turned on. I get system errors saying it can't access a whole bunch of files in in widowssystem. And even after disabling it doesn't seem to play nice with this Ripjaw V RAM might rma it and get some Ripjaw 4s in 4x4 config. Might be this skylake optimized ram doesn't play nice with x99 after all.

Have you tried updating your motherboard BIOS? Sometimes new RAM and XMP won't play well with old BIOS revisions.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Have you tried updating your motherboard BIOS? Sometimes new RAM and XMP won't play well with old BIOS revisions.

Yeah I was just thinking about that when I posted. Will check now.

What about Chipset and Bios Utility updates?

hitgirl

How much should I sell old PC?

i5 3570k delid @ 4.6ghz
Asus GTX 780
Asus Maximus V Gene Motherboard
8GB Gskill Ram
Corsair H100i
Corsair Power Supply w/ braided cables AX 760i
Samsung 130GB SSD
Corsair 140 mm fan x 2
Corsair 120mm fan x 2
Corsair 350D

WP_20130725_012_zpsb380e448.jpg

kuYuri

Just got one of these today:

Acer XB270HU

June 2015 model. No noticeable dead pixels so far or backlight bleed, my eyes may not catch backlight bleed too well though. Either way, it's beautiful! :D

Now to save up for that 980 Ti!

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Asus auto over clock has me at 4.7ghz with 1.312volts and only 67c full load. Crashed on 4.8.

I7 5820 by the way with noctua D15

RGM79

Yeah I was just thinking about that when I posted. Will check now.

What about Chipset and Bios Utility updates?

RAM compatibility is usually governed more by the BIOS than chipset. BIOS utilities are just what Asus lists their BIOS flasher updating programs under.

GrandPipe

Wanting to upgrade my PC. What i read tells me i should through in with Skylake.

This is what i'm looking at getting:
Intel Core i5-6600K
Noctua NH-U9B CPU Cooler
Asus Z170-AR ATX
Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR4-2400
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE

- I'd like to cut the cost a little. Could i cut corners on the motherboard, perhaps Asus Z170-K? Overclocking seems like something i think about but probably will not do. I cant see many (any) mid range z170 motherboard reviews. Open to different brand motherboards etc.
- That cpu heatsink looks like a beast. Would it fit in the case?
- RAM ok? fast enough?

This PC will probably last me for the next 5-6 years, so trying to future proof a little here.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
RAM compatibility is usually governed more by the BIOS than chipset. BIOS utilities are just what Asus lists their BIOS flasher updating programs under.

Well updated to the latest bios, which literally said RAM update dated from a week ago...

Everything seems fine now, no crashes or hiccups, though I haven't tried XMP again yet. Will try tomorrow, too late now.

Edit: beveling send that by using the Asus auto overclock turned XMP on and everything is running great.

Evo X

Oops. Thought, you bought the 4K monitor. Still, you need 2 to maintain 144fps on that monitor.

The whole purpose of GSYNC is that he doesn't need to maintain anywhere near 144fps.

He will be fine with a single 980Ti. I haven't encountered a single game I can't max at 1440P with one Titan X.

knitoe

The whole purpose of GSYNC is that he doesn't need to maintain anywhere near 144fps.

He will be fine with a single 980Ti. I haven't encountered a single game I can't max at 1440P with one Titan X.

A single 980ti gets ~45 @ 1440p in Witcher 3 Ultra. I would assume someone getting a 144hz monitor would want to maintain 120fps or more.

Evo X

A single 980ti gets ~45 @ 1440p in Witcher 3 Ultra. I would assume someone getting a 144hz monitor would want to maintain 120fps or more.

Turn foliage distance down to high. Bam, 60fps.

Witcher 3 isn't a twitch MP shooter. Not like 120fps will immensely improve the game.

RGM79

Wanting to upgrade my PC. What i read tells me i should through in with Skylake.

This is what i'm looking at getting:
Intel Core i5-6600K
Noctua NH-U9B CPU Cooler
Asus Z170-AR ATX
Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR4-2400
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE

- I'd like to cut the cost a little. Could i cut corners on the motherboard, perhaps Asus Z170-K? Overclocking seems like something i think about but probably will not do. I cant see many (any) mid range z170 motherboard reviews. Open to different brand motherboards etc.
- That cpu heatsink looks like a beast. Would it fit in the case?
- RAM ok? fast enough?

This PC will probably last me for the next 5-6 years, so trying to future proof a little here.
Yeah, I can see some ways to cut costs.

I don't recommend that cooler, there are other similar-performing coolers available for a better price. You say it's a beast, but it's actually one of the smaller 92mm tower type coolers (I'll admit that it does look well-made and quite wide for a "smaller" cooler, though). If you want a beast, look for a 120mm or even 140mm tower cooler. I substituted in the cheaper Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo which performs similarly but for a lower price according to this review. As you say, you probably won't be overclocking, so you don't need an exceptional cooler (and the 212 Evo is already good enough for moderate overclocking).

Yes, the Fractal Define S case can accommodate either cooler. That is a very good case that can take even the largest air coolers. I've got one myself still sitting in the box, waiting for the rest of my parts.

As for the RAM, consider getting 8GB for now. You can always add another 8GB if needed. Techspot recently did an article and they have good arguments and benchmarking results in favor of getting 8GB of RAM (if cost is an issue), as 16GB is overkill for most users except those dealing with heavily intensive workloads, and doesn't strongly impact other tasks even the ones that apparently use over 8GB of RAM. Also with the money saved, you can get some slightly faster RAM.

Here's my version of your build, about $130 was saved:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($359.00 @ CPL Online)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($65.00 @ CPL Online)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-K ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($219.00 @ Centre Com)
Memory: Kingston FURY 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($109.00 @ CPL Online)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card ($479.00 @ Centre Com)
Case: Fractal Design Define S w/Window ATX Mid Tower Case ($149.00 @ PLE Computers)
Total: $1380.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-21 15:02 AEST+1000

If you want to further save money, you could find an even cheaper heatsink instead of the Noctua or the Cooler Master. As long as it's not completely awful, even a cheap heatsink should be able to keep the processor from overheating at least. Also if you don't have your heart set on the Fractal Define S, consider looking for a cheaper case, you should be able to find something reasonable for around $100 AUD or so, like a Corsair or NZXT model.

knitoe

Turn foliage distance down to high. Bam, 60fps.

Witcher 3 isn't a twitch MP shooter. Not like 120fps will immensely improve the game.

Turning stuff down isn't playing at "max" settings anymore. And, there is still a big difference going from 60fps vs 120fps. Like I already said, I assume people getting 144hz would want to get close to at least 120fps. And, to get from 60 to 120 would require turning lots of shit down and defeats of purpose of such a beautiful monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom