• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great, thanks a lot. Just waiting on my friend to pull through with that sweet sweet $120 6600K and I'll put in the order for the other parts. Here's what I've decided on getting for my CPU upgrade:

Case: http://www.amazon.com/NZXT-Tower-CA-S340W-B1-Glossy-Black/dp/B00NGMIBUU?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
SSD: http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Plus-240GB-2-5-Inch-SDSSDA-240G-G25/dp/B00S9Q9VS4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_2&smid=A1CIO1FZK7A4ZD
RAM: http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-Ballistix-PC4-19200-BLS2K4G4D240FSA-BLS2C4G4D240FSA/dp/B00MTSWEQE?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_3&smid=A3N7VF71PEMVE
Mobo: http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-2-Way-CrossFire-Motherboards-GA-Z170-HD3/dp/B012AQGKXC?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_4&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Nothing about this should overstress my 620w CPU, right? Even with the added hard drive and new ram? This is, as mentioned before, with a non-oc'd 970. As far as I understand it, reasonably OCing my 6600K should result in less power draw than my currently OC'd 2500K (4.2ghz)

Hmm, what is the 620W PSU's model, and how old is it?

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Note that the SSD is more like "what I use, I'm putting it in there too" - adjust to your preference.

Yes, the CPU should be more than good enough, especially when overclocked. You want at least an i5-6500 to be comfortable - the i5-6600K is quite a bit nicer, and you can overclock it to further the margin. Brushed up on your OC knowledge yet?

That should be fine, or you can get a 390 instead (adjust your PSU plans accordingly due to 100W extra.)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£194.28 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (£74.99 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£121.57 @ More Computers)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (£56.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Kingston HyperX Fury 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£59.93 @ More Computers)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£37.98 @ Novatech)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (£275.92 @ Aria PC)
Case: Corsair SPEC-03 Blue ATX Mid Tower Case (£49.99 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£49.99 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£11.48 @ Amazon UK)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full (32/64-bit) (£85.88 @ More Computers)
Total: £1019.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-27 18:38 BST+0100

It's quite a bit more expensive than our previous build, but that's mostly caused by the additional memory, SSD, and to a lesser extent the cooler, OS, and PSU changes. Add a bit more for semi-modularity or noticeably better quality (though the PSU should still last you about 5 years in practice if you're not straining it with 550W+ loads) (That PSU? It's actually what I use, sans modularity, and it might be the best CX series PSU when all's said and done.)

Up to you to decide if a better PSU (80+ Gold, semi-modularity minimum, 600W minimum, 5yr warranty minimum) is worth the jump in PSU costs.
Thanks! Will order the parts now :)

(Have no clue about OC, will need to read up on that)

Arex

Great, thanks a lot. Just waiting on my friend to pull through with that sweet sweet $120 6600K and I'll put in the order for the other parts. Here's what I've decided on getting for my CPU upgrade:

Case: http://www.amazon.com/NZXT-Tower-CA-S340W-B1-Glossy-Black/dp/B00NGMIBUU?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
SSD: http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Plus-240GB-2-5-Inch-SDSSDA-240G-G25/dp/B00S9Q9VS4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_2&smid=A1CIO1FZK7A4ZD
RAM: http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-Ballistix-PC4-19200-BLS2K4G4D240FSA-BLS2C4G4D240FSA/dp/B00MTSWEQE?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_3&smid=A3N7VF71PEMVE
Mobo: http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-2-Way-CrossFire-Motherboards-GA-Z170-HD3/dp/B012AQGKXC?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_4&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Nothing about this should overstress my 620w CPU, right? Even with the added hard drive and new ram? This is, as mentioned before, with a non-oc'd 970. As far as I understand it, reasonably OCing my 6600K should result in less power draw than my currently OC'd 2500K (4.2ghz)

depends on the PSU model I guess, as Noivern said.
Also make sure you like the glossy look of that S340, it's very glossy looks like lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65-pqVTykMc
And it seems it only comes with 1 fan on the back? I'm not sure

Note that the SSD is more like "what I use, I'm putting it in there too" - adjust to your preference.

Note: PCPartPicker (it seems you're using it?) has a specialized BBCode export option for use in forums like NeoGAF.

You don't need an SSHD if you have an SSD for boot, apps, and multiplayer games. That HDD can be safely downgraded into a normal 2TB unless you're more into that newly-introduced 5-year warranty term for Seagate hybrids.

Also, cheaper SSDs exist. They provide you more value, so long as you don't intend to write to them all day.

Is the video card pre-existing?

Do you really need a Wi-Fi adapter?

OEM copies are good, but it's preferable to have a full licence if you foresee doing a motherboard swap. OEM licences will never activate again on a different model motherboard.

Thanks for all the info! I will probably change some things around then.

Yes the video card is from my 2012 build I'm using right now. I will use it in the new machine until Pascal hits. And yes I think I do need a Wifi adaptor as I will be using it far away from my router.

Cocaloch

Can anyone comment on this build?

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xPdWnQ
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xPdWnQ/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($194.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial BX200 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.99 @ Micro Center)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($329.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 88R MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($58.99 @ B&H)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($29.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $896.81
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-27 17:21 EDT-0400

ethomaz

Banned
Trying to find the best mobo with upped budget...

~$159 (R$1179 here) Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 5
~$149 (R$1319 here) ASUS Z170-A
~$145 (R$1301 here) Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3

These 3 are pretty similar in features with Gigabyte using Intel USB 3.1 and ASUS using ASMedia USB 3.1.
Gigabyte audio is ALC1150 while ASUS is ALC892.

But looking better prices for these I found this one...

~$200 (R$1599 here) ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO

Well what I can say... everytime I dig I found something lol

I really don't like MSI... ASUS or Gigabyte are my options.

PS. I dropped GA-Z170X-Gaming 3 due Killer NIC... I want Intel one.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Micro Center)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.99 @ Micro Center)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($329.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 88R MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($58.99 @ B&H)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($29.89 @ OutletPC)

You don't need a Z170 if you aren't going to get a K cpu later. (overclockable) So you can save 20$ which in turn you can spend on getting 16GB of RAM which is a better choice.

As for the SSD I would spend a bit more and get a 850 EVO or at least a Sandisk Ultra II.

kennah

So it's been 4 months since I went custom loop water cooling.

The paranoia that it is going to explode has stopped.
The pump noise no longer bothers me
And it's been running for a month straight now with no issues.

I call it a win.

Akoi

I call it a win.

I am still too much of a chicken to do this... One day, until then I will continue to use the corsair closed systems.

Hello all I recently received a used laptop from a friend and I discovered the PC he gave me has a pirated version of Windows 7. I'd like to not run a pirate version so what's the cheapest way I can get a legitimate copy of Windows for gaming?

Vuze

I call it a win.
Sweet. I wouldn't even know where to start with research. Recently started following some hardcore custom loop builders and while it's cool to look at, it just seems super expensive, risky and complicated.

I'll probably get an AIO for the CPU after pascal which should conclude my upgrades for this year. The noctua is just so huge and unattractive to look at in a windowed case. A water cooling solution should be way less stressing on the MB too, I really want to keep it until the next tangible jump in CPUs lol

Hello all I recently received a used laptop from a friend and I discovered the PC he gave me has a pirated version of Windows 7. I'd like to not run a pirate version so what's the cheapest way I can get a legitimate copy of Windows for gaming?
Might try your luck in our Buy/Sell thread or over at reddit
https://m.reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap

Cocaloch

You don't need a Z170 if you aren't going to get a K cpu later. (overclockable) So you can save 20$ which in turn you can spend on getting 16GB of RAM which is a better choice.

As for the SSD I would spend a bit more and get a 850 EVO or at least a Sandisk Ultra II.

What motherboard would I get instead?

Alright, I've decided that I'm definitely going to go with the S340. I love the look of it and the price.

In terms of fan setup: If I have non-water cooling setup for the CPU (using a 212 and doing some overclocking, nothing crazy though) what is the optimal setup for the two case fans that are included? Should I have the intake fan in the front or on the top?

From what I've seen a popular option is picking up two 140mm fans for the front to use as intakes and use the stock 120mms for exhaust... One on top one on the back. Gives you some positive pressure which is good for keeping dust out!

Hey guys is 620w enough to power a GTX980ti? Currently have a GTX970, i7 6700, 3 SSDs and one SSHD. I've used a few psu calculator over the Internet and looks like it suffice but just wanted to make sure.

My PSU is the antec 620m hcg. Cheers

So Doom is coming out and my 560ti doesn't really cut it. Would I be crazy buying a GTX 970 now? Are new cards coming out soon that I should wait for?

Celcius

°Temp. member

I call it a win.

I want to do this some day. I've been air cooled for the past 12 years.

Thinking about going for a 240gb, PC games are freaking enormous now filse size wise. Is the SanDisk one a decent HD? Thanks.

I decided to spend a bit more and go for a 480 GB SSD, and I have to say it was 100% worth it. I bought a PNY CS1311. Its going for $110 right now on Amazon.

Right now I have my OS, BF4, Star Wars BF, Division, Witcher 3 and Dark Souls 3 installed and I still have about 100 GB left. OS boots in seconds, and load times in games is so fast I don't have time to read the loading screen tips anymore.

Schnauzer

So I finally got around to overclocking my 2600k. Apparently I'm at 4.8 GHZ stable, with 1.35 volts, and 71 degrees max under load for 24 hours.

Is there any sign of a good replacement in sight?

ACE 1991

Woohoo! My buddy at Intel just snagged one of the last employee discounted 6600Ks. $133 with tax. I couldn't say no, hoping this chip performs amazingly in games even half as long as my 2500K did.

Thanks for all the info! I will probably change some things around then.

Yes the video card is from my 2012 build I'm using right now. I will use it in the new machine until Pascal hits. And yes I think I do need a Wifi adaptor as I will be using it far away from my router.

Ahaha! I guess you're mostly set now.

You can get away with a H170 motherboard and DDR4-2133 RAM if you don't need very fast RAM at all and will never be considering overclocking the CPU. Usually, for the same price level, a H170 board will offer you more features compared to a Z170 board. Do you think you'll be needing the DDR4-3000 RAM? That works best with regard to productivity and frame times in memory-sensitive games.

Consider going with a 2x8 kit too. Even though 2x4 works, 2x8 should enable you to do pretty much anything with your computer without worrying about memory usage.

You might be able to make up the performance difference with a mild OC with this video card to catch up with the XFX, perhaps even more (video cards in general overclock well).

That PSU should be able to power up the whole rig as is, but it will not give you a comfortable power margin on overclocking the video card. I'd be more comfortable with a 600W unit, to be honest.

If you don't plan on overclocking the video card, keep your original GPU and PSU choice.

Need that Wi-Fi adapter?

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H170M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($72.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($49.50 @ Newegg)
Storage: Kingston FURY 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card ($299.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $874.82
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-27 23:28 EDT-0400

So I finally got around to overclocking my 2600k. Apparently I'm at 4.8 GHZ stable, with 1.35 volts, and 71 degrees max under load for 24 hours.

Is there any sign of a good replacement in sight?

No, not at the moment. CPU performance stagnation can be seen as both a good thing and a bad thing at the same time. (Mind you, if you're on a laptop instead, they're still getting better.)

Woohoo! My buddy at Intel just snagged one of the last employee discounted 6600Ks. $133 with tax. I couldn't say no, hoping this chip performs amazingly in games even half as long as my 2500K did.

I wish I could buy unlocked i5s for i3 prices, and now I envy you. :p

Canklestank

Neo Member
Strongly consider getting a full licence of Windows 10 (non-OEM, in other words) if you plan on changing the motherboard for this PC in the future instead of building a new PC.

OEM copies are good, but it's preferable to have a full licence if you foresee doing a motherboard swap. OEM licences will never activate again on a different model motherboard.

I'm sure Microsoft appreciates this advice, but I don't understand it. How often do most people upgrade their motherboards? I would imagine by the time most people even thought about upgrading mobos, we'd be 2 Windows versions ahead, especially if they're upgrading now. Why not save that money and put it towards something else? Hell, if you buy from Reddit, you could upgrade every 6 months and still come out ahead.

I'm sure Microsoft appreciates this advice, but I don't understand it. How often do most people upgrade their motherboards? I would imagine by the time most people even thought about upgrading mobos, we'd be 2 Windows versions ahead, especially if they're upgrading now. Why not save that money and put it towards something else? Hell, if you buy from Reddit, you could upgrade every 6 months and still come out ahead.

This advice is more for so if you do end up changing the motherboard, perhaps because it's finally time for a CPU upgrade, or it's hosed and preferred a different motherboard later on, you'll be able to reuse the Windows licence. This should save a bit of cash if something does happen.

I'm just going with this advice because something happened to my current motherboard... in the interim period, while waiting for the replacement, I've been winging it with a different, much cheaper motherboard since I needed to keep a desktop running. It can't activate with an used OEM key for obvious reasons. I've always thought that, if the premium for a proper licence isn't much more than an OEM key, might as well go for it. (That seems to be the case in the USA; over here, OEM keys have a massive price advantage (~50% less), so OEMs are king.)

I still have to see if Windows 10 digital entitlements conferred to OEM keys are transferable, though. From the support page, it seems that all DEs are the same, and that should be possible (motherboard swaps are listed as an explicit "contact support" possibility)

Archpath1

No idea where to start, but I need a new computer

Mainly for graphic design (PhotoShop, CC,etc) / video editing
Budget 1000 but can go to 1500

Something I can upgrade for a few more years would be nice

Point me to stock one, or recommend me parts for a build

kennah

Did you read the OP?

Do you need a video card, just in case you also game?

It usually is a good idea to read the OP and get a plan on getting things done. Either way, I've set up a system that should afford you all the graphic design and video editing you want to do, within a $1000 budget.

Well within, if it's of any indication...

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($300.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B150M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($66.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($49.50 @ Newegg)
Storage: Kingston FURY 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($62.28 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($38.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full - USB (32/64-bit) ($108.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $722.60
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-28 00:35 EDT-0400

System should have plenty of CPU for all possible tasks you have mentioned, no matter if the app is lightly threaded or heavily threaded. The integrated graphics is likely more than good enough for your use, and it's just a video card upgrade away if you do game. Adjust plans accordingly if you have hardware preferences (like a larger ATX case, for example)

Also, that RAM is DDR4-2133. If you don't think you're hurting for cash, going Z170 and high-speed RAM (you need Z170 for running RAM beyond DDR4-2133 at their rated speed) helps a lot with productivity stuff, eliminating RAM bottlenecks, though it's not really too important. Probably a good idea to go straight to the DDR4-3000 camp if you do go Z170.

Would be also good to upgrade the PSU beyond what I've specified, since it's basically the bare minimum you should be expecting for a mATX rig.

Zabojnik

How's Corsair's VS650 power supply? Is there anything better in the 650W under 70€ category? EU territory (I know there's plently of stuff to be found in the US).

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Also, that RAM is DDR4-2133. If you don't think you're hurting for cash, going Z170 and high-speed RAM (you need Z170 for running RAM beyond DDR4-2133 at their rated speed) helps a lot with productivity stuff, eliminating RAM bottlenecks, though it's not really too important. Probably a good idea to go straight to the DDR4-3000 camp if you do go Z170.

I'm new to overclocking and just want an easy overclock without the need to squeeze every drop of performance out. Currently my motherboard is running my DDR4-3000 at default 2133. Should I set my DDR4 RAM to 3000 mhz first with XMP and make sure the system is stable before adjusting the CPU? Also what stress programs are preferred?

I'm in the same boat with my RAM. I enabled XMP in my BIOS last night and I got a boot error. Had to disable it to boot properly.

I'll add my earlier post with my specs.

Motherboard: Gigabyte LGA 1151 Z170 HDMI 2-Way CrossFire ATX DDR4 Motherboards GA-Z170-HD3

Specs
I assume the O.C. in the RAM section means Overclock.

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz (PC4-24000) C15 Memory Kit - Black (CMK16GX4M2B3000C15)

After doing some googling there might be some updates I need to do.

Mr_Moogle

Any thoughts on the Corsair Carbide Series 100R Silent Edition? Worried it might cause my internals to run a lot little hot. I'll be putting a 970 and 6600K with a decent (nothing crazy) OC over air with my coolermaster 212. I like the look and it's dirt cheap, plus the noise dampening is a big plus.

I can't speak for the 100R but I've used the 200R in two builds for a friend and family member and it's an excellent case. It's looks good and stays cool and quiet. I'm no expert but the build quality was a lot better than what I'd become accustom to. I've got an older Lian Li case and it's very plastic compared to the Corsair where everything is metal.

Keep in mind I haven't OC'ed using this case. I'm not sure where it stands compared with other cases that have extra fans in the top.

e90Mark

Hey guys is 620w enough to power a GTX980ti? Currently have a GTX970, i7 6700, 3 SSDs and one SSHD. I've used a few psu calculator over the Internet and looks like it suffice but just wanted to make sure.

My PSU is the antec 620m hcg. Cheers

Yes, you should be fine.

I'm new to overclocking and just want an easy overclock without the need to squeeze every drop of performance out. Currently my motherboard is running my DDR4-3000 at default 2133. Should I set my DDR4 RAM to 3000 mhz first with XMP and make sure the system is stable before adjusting the CPU? Also what stress programs are preferred?

Update your motherboard firmware to the very latest before anything else!

Is your motherboard a X99/Z170 chipset motherboard? If yes, try making use of the XMP profile in the RAM. If it works, the RAM should be proven stable, but you can always stress test using a combination of:

Getting into Windows in the first place and watching if anything errors out (seriously, flaky memory and/or CPU exposes easily) (Also, this is why you shouldn't overclock anything until you've done all needed installations)
IntelBurnTest (even the Standard test will dig out flaky memory and/or CPU quickly, but ideally you should use as much RAM as you can after closing all background non-driver apps.)
Prime95 (ditto, use custom Blend (select Blend, then custom), minimum FFT 256K and RAM usage 3/4 installed RAM - again, flaky memory and/or CPU will expose itself rather quickly, but for best results run for at least 6 hours, preferably 10 or more)
Memtest86(+) (run using default settings; usually 1 pass is enough, but if Memtest86, letting it run into completion (4 passes) should be very confident. Remember to turn on CPU processing in parallel to massively speed it up, if your motherboard isn't blacklisted.)

If the PC doesn't boot at the given XMP profile's default speed, timings, and voltage, try to do the exact same thing, but with manually set timings, but at this point it might be worth considering if:
The RAM might be faulty
Your CPU might have lost the memory controller lottery and run it a speed bin lower (usually RAM also has a secondary XMP for slightly slower speeds)
Cheaper Z170 motherboards might also not have their power traces sufficient for keeping high speed RAM in check

It's probably preferable to make sure the RAM is stable at the XMP timings before proceeding with the CPU overclock just so that the right party gets blamed when things do go wrong :)

Two things, forgive my ignorance.

1) is there a reason I shouldn't get an AMD graphics card? I'm going to go Freesync or G-Sync with my next upgrade, so consider that as well.
2) If I did go AMD, what are some good FreeSync monitor options?

Megabat

How's Corsair's VS650 power supply? Is there anything better in the 650W under 70€ category? EU territory (I know there's plently of stuff to be found in the US).

I'm not sure what's available there, but that PSU isn't great for the price. I would recommend a Rosewill Capstone, if you can find them there. They're 80+ gold certified, manufactured by Super Flower, and the 550W model costs about $60 U.S.

What kind of components do you need to power? I can't imagine needing more than 500W for a single-GPU system.

Goddard

I'm resurrecting my old PC right now, but the ram I bought is incompatible apparently. Motherboard is a GA-P45T-ES3G, with Kingston Hyperx fury ram. The mobo supports DDR3 1.5v ram I'm pretty sure, but I've heard that there is some conflict with high density memory and certain old motherboards like mine.

I can still take the ram back to the shop and exchange it with something else, but what exactly would I look for to make sure its compatible?

I'm resurrecting my old PC right now, but the ram I bought is incompatible apparently. Motherboard is a GA-P45T-ES3G, with Kingston Hyperx fury ram. The mobo supports DDR3 1.5v ram I'm pretty sure, but I've heard that there is some conflict with high density memory and certain old motherboards like mine.

I can still take the ram back to the shop and exchange it with something else, but what exactly would I look for to make sure its compatible?

What exact ram was it? How did you conclude that it's incompatible?

Goddard

What exact ram was it? How did you conclude that it's incompatible?

HyperX FURY Black 4GB DDR3-1600MHz CL10 DIMM

part: HX316C10FB/4

I know its a compatibility issue because the computer just gives me the 1-1-1-1 beep code on startup and there is no POST, ram works fine in my main rig. I looked it up and this is a known issue.

ACE 1991

Hmm, what is the 620W PSU's model, and how old is it?

Just bumping here. The PSU in question is this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371031

ethomaz

Banned
The mobo undecision continues...

I was about to buy the ASUS Z170-A at R$1228.

When I found the Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 5 at R$1079 (I'm waiting a reply from the guy about discounts).

Edit - OMG the guy dropped the price for the Gaming 5 to R$998... it is almost the price I had for Gaming 3 before.

appaws

Banned

I call it a win.

What pump do you have and what kind of noise is it making? I don't hear my D5 at all even when running full out with the case panels on...?

Sweet. I wouldn't even know where to start with research. Recently started following some hardcore custom loop builders and while it's cool to look at, it just seems super expensive, risky and complicated.

I'll probably get an AIO for the CPU after pascal which should conclude my upgrades for this year. The noctua is just so huge and unattractive to look at in a windowed case. A water cooling solution should be way less stressing on the MB too, I really want to keep it until the next tangible jump in CPUs lol

Do it. Just do it. It's so fun. Greatest part of being a PC guy. Although I admit I am a looks obsessed perfectionist. It can get expensive, of course.

So much good info on youtube about the process. Who are you watching? Try Ronsanut and Singularity Computers if you haven't already.

I want to do this some day. I've been air cooled for the past 12 years.

No time like the present.

Do it. Do it. Do it.

LilJoka

I went from air cooled to Corsair H80 then to an EK L120 kit. Hated both and will never do it again. Too much noise not enough impact.

A kit with a D5 might be worth it, but a lot more cost that I can't justify.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom