• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I need some eyes and ears on the streets.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Okay, its obvious i dont read every thread, and most of the admins dont either. So, i need some of your guys' help.

I really want to put a stop to the rampant trolling, and the only way i can is if you guys help me. When your in a thread and someone comes in making some stupidass baseless remark PM me with the thread link. Trolls get away with too much and cause what would be interesting threads to devolve into pieces of crap.

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH AND ITS (clock) FOR A CHANGE. RIP owen hart.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
You realize that now your inbox will be flooded by dudes from one faction any time someone from the other faction makes any kind of post at all...?

Wellington said:
You realize that now your inbox will be flooded by dudes from one faction any time someone from the other faction makes any kind of post at al...?

What he said. x2.

Especially going into the holidays. Your inbox'll probably just meltdown. I dread to be you after the holiday hardware numbers come in.

SyNapSe

CK, is a ridiculous phantom supporter! Begin PM'ing now! I actually think this isn't a bad idea, but I kinda agree. You are gonna get spammed like crazy.. If it didn't require so much work to watch all threads it would already be dealt with.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
See if you can find more people you can trust as mod, but do not make them admins or you will end up like Opa-Age.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Uh oh....

runs.gif

Panajev2001a said:
See if you can find more people you can trust as mod, but do not make them admins or you will end up like Opa-Age.

They could have uniforms and everything. And a handshake. And a theme song.

"Sp0rks Avengers, fighting for the justice of the forum/ Sp0rks Avengers, they will not sleep 'til good has been done"

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
sp0rsk said:
I dont really care about my inbox. People just need to be more civilized

The PM solution is impractical: you will still have to review each complaint separately as if you were reviewing all those threads yourself.

sprsk

Panajev2001a said:
The PM solution is impractical: you will still have to review each complaint separately as if you were reviewing all those threads yourself.

Oh, of course. Im not gonna just sit there and believe what people send me. There will be no action without actual investigation.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
sp0rsk said:
Oh, of course. Im not gonna just sit there and believe what people send me. There will be no action without actual investigation.

Then you are wasting time.

Much better is for you and the rest of the GA top-brass to hand-pick a committee of say 10-12 posters that is allowed to e-mail a special address or to PM you in regards to trolling issues and you could follow the complaint of the committee and maybe its suggestions if the committee meets up on #ga sometimes for a small poll.

sprsk

Panajev2001a said:
Then you are wasting time.

Much better is for you and the rest of the GA top-brass to hand-pick a committee of say 10-12 posters that is allowed to e-mail a special address or to PM you in regards to trolling issues and you could follow the complaint of the committee and maybe its suggestions if the committee meets up on #ga sometimes for a small poll.

Eh, thats something youd have to take up with the admins, im just a mod.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Mama Smurf said:
Stick to the tech topics pan.

Sporks... I have a PM ready ;).

Listen, this is a discussion forum and someone asked for other posters' $0.02 and I am a poster in these boards so I will give my $0.02 whether you like it or not.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
sp0rsk said:
Eh, thats something youd have to take up with the admins, im just a mod.

Well, it is easier for a mod to talk to the admins.

But that would not require special powers.

Hand-pick people you trust (maybe ask the advice of the other mods and/or of the admins of GA) and consider only their PMs.

It makes the job easier for you.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
I'm just messing with you man. Your idea sounds like a hell of a lot of work to me, with far more people's time wasted than just sporsk with his idea. Plus they just sound like mods without any power. And we'd all bitch about who's on the committee.

sprsk

Mama Smurf said:
I'm just messing with you man. Your idea sounds like a hell of a lot of work to me, with far more people's time wasted than just sporsk with his idea. Plus they just sound like mods without any power. And we'd all bitch about who's on the committee.

yeah thats pretty much right, if we had selected people to do that then we might as well have more mods. Im not asking people to go through threads searching for stuff, im asking that if you see a problem in a thread where a mod hasnt done anything say something about it.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Mama Smurf said:

You would not know who is on the committee and if you want no member of the committee would know who the other committee members are.

You speak, you get perma banned from the forum.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
The obvious solution to the "flooding" problem is to simply ban (temporarily or permanent) folks who submit inane "troll alerts".

That being said, I wonder how many folks would suffer after attempting to alert about a "troll" who is really a mod?

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Essentially, you're asking for people to mod the boards. But without any actual mod powers.

Wouldn't it be more efficient to just recruit some more mods? Or are there so few objective gamers on the board that this isn't possible?

Edit: Oops, you just touched on this.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Panajev2001a said:
You would not know who is on the committee and if you want no member of the committee would know who the other committee members are.

You speak, you get perma banned from the forum.

It could already be happening! I always thought that Goreomedy looked dodgy....

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Goreomedy said:
Essentially, you're asking for people to mod the boards. But without any actual mod powers.

Wouldn't it be more efficient to just recruit some more mods? Or are there so few objective gamers on the board that this isn't possible?

Edit: Oops, you just touched on this.

I think the "advisors" would be helpful to the current mods without causing the issues linked to having tons of mods.

Andy787

Banned
I dunno, I like this forum almost because it is as insane as it is. That's why it is such a great forum imo, trolls and all. That's why it remains consistently entertaining.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Mama Smurf said:
It could already be happening! I always thought that Goreomedy looked dodgy....

There is no GAF Mafia.

But continue to speak of it, and you may wake up with Epona's head in your bed.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Panajev2001a said:
I think the "advisors" would be helpful to the current mods without causing the issues linked to having tons of mods.

I wasn't suggesting tons of mods. And the advisor idea would work better, me thinks, if more than Sporks volunteered to field these trollcalls. :)

::snifs corsage::

Top Bottom