• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I never realized how much of a failure the Virtual Boy was

I was reading KobunHeat's thread about selling his old systems, and I noticed that he was selling Mario Golf for Virtual Boy. I didn't remember that game, so I headed over to Nintendo.com's master game list of every game ever released for the system in America. This is the list, in its entirety:

Title: Licensee Released
Galactic Pinball Nintendo August 1995
Golf Nintendo November 1995
Jack Bros. Atlus Software October 1995
Mario Clash Nintendo October 1995
Mario's Tennis Nintendo August 1995
Nester's Funky Bowling Nintendo February 1996
Panic Bomber Nintendo December 1995
Red Alarm Nintendo August 1995
Teleroboxer Nintendo August 1995
Tetris 3-D Nintendo March 1996
Vertical Force Nintendo December 1995
Virtual League Baseball Kemco September 1995
Wario Land Nintendo November 1995
Waterworld Ocean December 1995

And that's it. 14 games over a 7 month life span. They didn't even try to get more sales out of one more Christmas, it was just dropped like a bad habit. I knew Virtual Boy was a failure, but Christ, that makes Jaguar and 3DO look like awesome successes. I have about 7 of those games, and I think I'm going to try and get the whole library.

So I go to ebay and see this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=62053&item=8127848064&rd=1

$99 for a Japanese Virtual Boy game. Yikes.

Then I see this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=62053&item=8128079400&rd=1

$409 for Virtual Boy Space Invaders. Double yikes. Something tells me neither of these games are going to sell.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
That was just a very bad idea. I saw the Icons show on the Gameboy when they talked about Virtual Boy. It was something that never should have gotten the green light.

element

at the NOA Garage Sale a couple years ago, they were giving away Virtual Boys. Now I'm not saying like a Virutal Boy, I'm talking freight boxes of Virtual Boys which are a box of four systems.

AniHawk

dskillzhtown said:
That was just a very bad idea. I saw the Icons show on the Gameboy when they talked about Virtual Boy. It was something that never should have gotten the green light.

Unfortunately it could have been better. Maybe now if it was released, it could have had full color like Yokoi wanted in the first place. In 1995, it would have cost somewhere around $500... Obviously Yamauchi didn't want that.

Ambience

Banned
[Australia]

..And that's it. 14 games over a 7 month life span. They didn't even try to get more sales out of one more Christmas, it was just dropped like a bad habit. I knew Gamecube was a failure, but Christ, that makes Jaguar and 3DO look like awesome successes.

[/Australia]

This was Gumpei Yokoi's undoing, before his..um.."undoing". I'm still thinking that Yamauchi put out a contract on him..

yamauchi.jpg

"Fucking Teleroboxer?? I'll have your ass for this Gumpei!!"

Top Bottom