• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I snagged a CD-I System yesterday...

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I was walking through the local used music / game store, and asked the clerk if he had anything weird in stock. A few minutes later, I'm looking at a boxed Magnavox CD-I system (with video cartridge). The asking price? $10.97.

So, anyway, now I have a CD-I system. While I plan to get the Mario and Zelda games for the sheer novelty of it, I am wondering if anyone knows of ANYTHING slightly decent on the CD-I platform. Any recommendations? Does anyone have a pile of CD-I discs in their closet that they've been wanting to give away?

Chittagong

Gold Member
:lol

only thing that comes in mind is the Zelda Big Hair pic that gets posted everytime when there is talk about a new art style for the game.

z2linkcrestimpa.jpg

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
^^ That's original artwork from Zelda 1, wasn't it? Or 2. It was in that game's manual.

Nothing wrong with owning bad systems you got on the cheap. I've got a PC Engine (not saying its bad, but you'd have to see what it looks like haha) I snagged for 500 yen. Although I forgot to get some Hu cards, so I don't even know if the bitch works.

Now you just need a 3DO and a Jaguar.

Do the math!

Get the mini-golf game. Back in the day it almost convinced me to waste a couple minutes with the sales rep hogging it pretending I was going to blow $WTF on it.

I liked my Jaguar. Rayman, Cannon Fodder, Syndicate, Doom, NBA Jam T.E., Iron Soldier 1/2, Tempest 2000, Worms, Aliens vs Predator. I even had some fun with my 3D0. Super Street Fighter2 Turbo (rocked), Total Eclipse, Way of the Warrior (loved this game for some reason lol), Samurai Showdown, Star Control2, Road Rash, Return Fire, Crash N' Burn.

AntoneM

sweet! I played BurnCycle on PC when it came out, I didn't know they had it for CD-i... I'll have to look around for it, as I have a CD-i and no games.

Wow. I remember a friend of mine way back in middle school had a CD-I system because his mom worked for Philips and got it at a reduced price. I think the only game he actually had on it was some Golf game and a few CD-I movies.

I remember thinking, "The future is now!" when I saw him play golf. I was so impressionable back then. ;)

Ryoni, who's that in your avatar?

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Got a Jaguar, but I still need the CD attachment. No 3DO yet. I also need a Turbo Grafx CD unit...

Yah, I'm trying to get my hands on all U.S. released systems, and I'm getting closer... especially if I ever get that Vectrex from my old college roommate.

etiolate

Banned
That picture is a testament to EGM's lameness. Did the CD-i have a version of that psygnoisis shooter? I can't think of the name, but it had cinemas or FMV sort of backgrounds .

White Man

Every sentence in every single one of the 4 Burncycle reviews contains weak predicate structure. I hope current issues don't look like that. It makes for unexciting and droll reading. Makes it sound like a computer wrote it. My profs would've skinned me if they found out I was getting paid for writing like that.

White Man said:
Every sentence in every single one of the 4 Burncycle reviews contains weak predicate structure. I hope current issues don't look like that. It makes for unexciting and droll reading. Makes it sound like a computer wrote it. My profs would've skinned me if they found out I was getting paid for writing like that.
Why are you attacking something that was written in 1994? And of all things, you're attacking a videogame magazine. Please.

I will concede that the writing is terrible, but you must have better things to pick on than some reviews written in 1994.

White Man

It's more of a rib on how everyone says how the golden age of EGM died years ago than anything.

I bet they're J.K. Rowling-style adverb crazy today, but I get nauseous when I read anything but the Paris Review these days, so I won't bother checking. :D

mosaic

go eat paint
Dude, what's a predicate? ;)

I liked the CD-I golf game... the one with, at the time, photoreal visuals and vocal play by play.

Although, to be honest, that was the only CD-I game I ever played, since it was always in the demo kiosk at Fred Meyer when I went in to buy Genesis or Turbografx games.

I used to love watching the infomercial, though it never once got me interested in wanting the system. I just thought it was cool that video games was a selling point in one.

Forget the good games, what were the worst games on CD-i?
Wasn't there a Dennis Miller Comedy News "game," or was that on the 3DO?

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
there's a 3DO for $30 at a shop near me at school. i am SO temped to splurge on it a bunch of the $2.99 3DO games at the shop...

White Man said:
It's more of a rib on how everyone says how the golden age of EGM died years ago than anything.

I bet they're J.K. Rowling-style adverb crazy today, but I get nauseous when I read anything but the Paris Review these days, so I won't bother checking. :D
You should check some old issues of Gamefan out. Seriously the worst published writing ever.

Top Bottom