• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think the DS is going to have some problems this holiday season...

Considering you can get a PS2/Xbox for the same price as the Nintendoods, I think it's going to have a hard time selling the volumes that the GBA(SP) put up when they first came out. DS's main compettitor this holiday season will be the GBA:SP, at the now reduced price, making HALF the price of the DS isn't going to help either.

PSP is going to have a huge struggle ahead of it if it comes out at $250-300, but people shouldn't go thinking that the DS is going to be smooth sailing either.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
master_of_the_obvious.jpg

Culex

Banned
The SP had no problem selling, and it came shortly on the heels of the GBA. I see no reason why console hardware sales will affect the DS.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
It's new hardware, and new hardware always has a special demand. Not to mention it is a portable so it won't be competing with the Ps2/Xbox. I think it will be a hot commodity.

jarrod

Banned
So... what happens when PSP and Xenon are the same price in 2005? :p

DS will be supply restriceted this year anyway, Nintendo will effortlessly sell out their shipments in record time.

kaching said:
Whaddya trying to do, take heat off the PSP?!? BANDED!

The heat's on both systems...people act as if PSP is D00M3D and the DS will do amazingly well, IMO it's not going to be easy for either system to recreate the success of the Gameboy line.

Insertia

PSTwo, Halo2, GTA:SA, MGS2, and GT4.

DS will have it hard this fall. As of yet it doesn't have a single 'buy me' title.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Initially, the Nintendo fans will be grabbing DS like crazy, and Playstation fans will do the same with PSP. Neither will have problems selling in a short run.

Memles

Pedigree Chum said:
The heat's on both systems...people act as if PSP is D00M3D and the DS will do amazingly well, IMO it's not going to be easy for either system to recreate the success of the Gameboy line.

But you're seriously insinuating that the DS won't have an easier time, consider who it's coming from and when it's releasing...

It will sell out this Christmas.

Insertia said:

DS will have it hard this fall. As of yet it doesn't have a single 'buy me' title.

As of now it has like no games. Don't make it sound like it has a full software lineup with nothing on it, when it in fact lacks a software lineup at all. Different issue, entirely.

Yeah, Nintendo DS is going to have some problems this holiday season. No matter how many they get into stores, it won't be enough.

October 2003
$99 GCN: 254,000
$99 GBA: 401,000

November 2003
$99 GCN: 754,000
$99 GBA: 1,320,000

December 2003
$99 GCN: 1,163,000
$99 GBA: 2,316,000

Insertia said:

Then add in the GBA:SP at a reduced price and the DS has some major problems ahead of it. I just don't think it'll be able to move all it's units this holiday season.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Hah hah I love how Nintendoods has permeated this forum. God I hope some people get confused and beleive it's the actual name of the system. Retail hilarity!

Schafer sealed the deal on this thread.

DS will sell out no question.

Are you serious?

Kobun Heat said:
Yeah, Nintendo DS is going to have some problems this holiday season. No matter how many they get into stores, it won't be enough.

Kobun for the win!

Dilbert

Culex said:
The SP had no problem selling, and it came shortly on the heels of the GBA. I see no reason why console hardware sales will affect the DS.
I think you missed his point entirely. There was always a price gap between the GBA and the consoles. Now, at the same price point, people will have to choose between a) an NDS with few games or b) a console with a shitload of games. Or, if they have their heart set on a portable gaming system, they can choose a GBA SP at half the price of the NDS...and it too has a shitload of games. Yeah, you can play the existing GBA games in the DS...but why spent the extra $$$ up front if that's all you're going to play for a while?

So, if you were a casual gamer and you had $150 burning a hole in your pocket this holiday season...what would YOU ask for?

Yes, because consumers are not able to tell that portables are generally more expensive, for you get, than consoles. They also just do not understand the definition of portability.

Don't cry over a short period of sales, the DS and PSP will both sell at launch because they're really targeted at those launch buyers. That's a given, I think both will sell out at launch because of that. You need to look more at long term sales my friend. And in that case, you're just speculating and no one here can really give an answer on what's going to sell.

-jinx- said:
I think you missed his point entirely. There was always a price gap between the GBA and the consoles. Now, at the same price point, people will have to choose between a) an NDS with few games or b) a console with a shitload of games. Or, if they have their heart set on a portable gaming system, they can choose a GBA SP at half the price of the NDS...and it too has a shitload of games. Yeah, you can play the existing GBA games in the DS...but why spent the extra $$$ up front if that's all you're going to play for a while?

So, if you were a casual gamer and you had $150 burning a hole in your pocket this holiday season...what would YOU ask for?

There we go, someone who understands. I'm not saying that the DS is doomed, but it's not going to be easy for the system right out the gate (like PS2/GBA when they first came out). In the long run it'll be a huge success I'm sure (If Ninty handles it right), but this holiday season...I dunno...

Culex

Banned
Kobun Heat said:
And you don't think that might have a little something to do with the fact that they haven't announced launch titles yet?

Funny, I doubt he was even smart enough to think that part over ;)

akascream

Banned
Mashing said:
I've always wondered why that was made with a pic of Raistlin.

They were after somebody obviously uber powerful (or looked powerful, not many even know who that is), otherwise the sarcasm doesn't quite work well.. does it. :p

The Faceless Master said:
man, they could sell the nintendo ds with no titles and it would sell out at xmas on picto chat and the hunters demo alone.. seriously...

See it's suff like this I don't get...I know you're exagerrating, but I just don't see this much frevor over the system like hardcore gamers do.

Pedigree Chum said:
There we go, someone who understands. I'm not saying that the DS is doomed, but it's not going to be easy for the system right out the gate (like PS2/GBA when they first came out). In the long run it'll be a huge success I'm sure (If Ninty handles it right), but this holiday season...I dunno...

Wow....I thought Korrupt was stupid but this new Chum is scary.

If you can't recognize that Nintendo nuts ALONE can make this sell out, then no one here can help you.

darscot

Pedigree Chum said:
See it's suff like this I don't get...I know you're exagerrating, but I just don't see this much frevor over the system like hardcore gamers do.

I don't think he is exagerating at all. I expect the DS will sell as well or better then the SP did with no problems at all.

Dilbert

krypt0nian said:
Wow....I thought Korrupt was stupid but this new Chum is scary.

If you can't recognize that Nintendo nuts ALONE can make this sell out, then no one here can help you.
First of all -- chill out.

Yes, if Nintendo only ships a limited amount of DS units, it's a guaranteed sellout. But if there was an infinite supply of them, I also wonder how well they would do, compared to the other options on the market. A possibility that NO one has mentioned yet is that they'd rather spend the $$$ on more games for their existing systems, rather than buying new hardware.

Finally -- you are vastly overrating the influence of hardcore Nintendo fans.

-jinx- said:
First of all -- chill out.

Yes, if Nintendo only ships a limited amount of DS units, it's a guaranteed sellout. But if there was an infinite supply of them, I also wonder how well they would do, compared to the other options on the market. A possibility that NO one has mentioned yet is that they'd rather spend the $$$ on more games for their existing systems, rather than buying new hardware.

Finally -- you are vastly overrating the influence of hardcore Nintendo fans.

Yes because we are all so polite here.

Bookmark this and eat drinkycrow after they sell out.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
as long as we're speculating wildly: it'll do well at launch. it'll struggle later when a broader audience finds its "innovations" unappealing and its software insubstantial. as much as nintendo touts the ds as more accessible to casual gamers or non-gamers, only the usual susceptible hardcore will embrace it.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Pedigree Chum said:
Heh - my comment was lighthearted. No need to take it too seriously.

Darth Wufei said:
Yes, because consumers are not able to tell that portables are generally more expensive, for you get, than consoles. They also just do not understand the definition of portability.
Here's hoping you're right about the general public...because after seeing the responses in recent threads about BOTH DS and PSP speculated pricing, I have a little or no faith in GAFFer's ability to comprehend what you described.

Kobun said:
And you don't think that might have a little something to do with the fact that they haven't announced launch titles yet?
PSP threads could use a voice of reason like yourself...reserving judgment until we have all the facts...imagine that!

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
JoshuaJSlone said:
October 2003
$99 GCN: 254,000
$99 GBA: 401,000

November 2003
$99 GCN: 754,000
$99 GBA: 1,320,000

December 2003
$99 GCN: 1,163,000
$99 GBA: 2,316,000

Quoted because it should have killed this thread. Looks like the GCN and GBA being the same price really fucked up the GBA, eh?

It's gonna have trouble if it doesn't have a Nintendo-esque launch line-up. And this Sony influenced vagueness is leading me to believe it's gonna be launched more on hype than actual line-up. If Mario 4*4 is the marque title, count me out. To get my money, Wario has to be killer, the Mario sidescroller has to be up to Mario standards, and PacMan has to be available and good. Due to the lack of noise, I'm expecting only Mario 4*4 to be available. You don't hide your product this close to launch unless you have nothing to show and are going on marketing only.

Meier

Nintendo is planning to ship around 2 million systems to the US this holiday season. The DS will sell all of them. The GBA/SP should have some of their sales cut into but the lower price point of both should result in around 3.0-3.5 million units sold again as well.

GDJustin said:
Quoted because it should have killed this thread. Looks like the GCN and GBA being the same price really fucked up the GBA, eh?

Justin kills another argument with logic. Damn him! <shakes fist>

Memles

ravingloon said:
It's gonna have trouble if it doesn't have a Nintendo-esque launch line-up. And this Sony influenced vagueness is leading me to believe it's gonna be launched more on hype than actual line-up. If Mario 4*4 is the marque title, count me out. To get my money, Wario has to be killer, the Mario sidescroller has to be up to Mario standards, and PacMan has to be available and good. Due to the lack of noise, I'm expecting only Mario 4*4 to be available. You don't hide your product this close to launch unless you have nothing to show and are going on marketing only.

You think Wario Ware won't be ready?

You're insane. And if sales of the SMA series on GBA is a testament to anything, it's that SM64x4 will be more than marquee enough to launch on.

Deg said:
I predict GBASP will outsell DS and PSP combined this christmas.

Add a worldwide, and even then I think your comment is laughable. Not the GBA outselling it part, but the PSP inclusion.

Meier

Go Go Ackman! said:
Okay, a niche product with no games announced a few months before launch. Be realistic.

How can a handheld system with GBA compatibility be considered niche?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
GDJustin said:
Too bad that data says nothing about 3 Nintendo platforms on the market at the same time...

Dilbert

GDJustin said:
Hate to break the news to you, but since the casual gamer isn't exactly flocking to GC, I don't know what those numbers are supposed to show.

Do you have any numbers showing sales for PS2 and Xbox versus GBA over that time?

GDJustin

Too bad this thread was about the DS facing trouble because it will be the same price as home console competitors and not about nintendo supporting 3 consoles at all:

Considering you can get a PS2/Xbox for the same price as the Nintendoods, I think it's going to have a hard time selling the volumes that the GBA(SP) put up when they first came out.

GDJustin

-jinx- said:
Hate to break the news to you, but since the casual gamer isn't exactly flocking to GC, I don't know what those numbers are supposed to show.

Do you have any numbers showing sales for PS2 and Xbox versus GBA over that time?

The sales show that the GCN dropping and becoming the same price as the SP didn't kill SP slaes at all. That's what this thread was about. The DS not doing well because it's price tag is the same as the Xbox and PS2. The sales data wasn't even about the GCN sales.

Do you even know what the hell is going on in this thread?

Memles

-jinx- said:

But, good sir, you mentioned only price point. You didn't specify that you disregard the GameCube as a console. You simply talked about price affecting the situation.

Top Bottom