• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think the DS is going to have some problems this holiday season...

darscot

I can't believe some of you believe the whole third pillar BS. It's pure marketing spin, the DS is gong to be the first pillar of handheld gaming. Nintendo is just tryint to ease every one over expect GBA game production to decline sharply from this point on.

I was wondering if anyone here is an economist. I am currently acquiring my master in Econ and I am taking a class that deals with Marginal rate of substitution and Indifference curves, there are very little market that you can fit into this model but video games (I feel) is one of them. I am currently trying to make a model of this Christmas sales in comparison

If MRS=Pa/Pb
a=DS price
b PSP price
Do we have any for sure prices because I feel that it’s the only way of truly trying to predict these sales?

I’m just trying to apply this crappy ass boring Econ model to markets that I actually follow, so all econ buffs lets try to do it!.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Well, the DS is $150. We don't have a price on the PSP yet, but if you really wanted to, plugging in $300 or $350 would probably be a good bet.

jedimike

darscot said:
I can't believe some of you believe the whole third pillar BS. It's pure marketing spin, the DS is gong to be the first pillar of handheld gaming. Nintendo is just tryint to ease every one over expect GBA game production to decline sharply from this point on.

Gameboy is Nintendo's bread and butter. I can assure you that they have no intention of phasing out or canceling GBA. The profit margins are too high and it is selling too well. Why would Nintendo cut off their own heads?

DS is definitely intended to be a 3rd pillar.

darscot

DS is the next GameBoy. Nintendo learned a long time ago they can keep upgrading the GameBoy and people still keep buying. The back lash from constant upgrade has been virutally nothing pople want to buy the new one no matter how quickly it comes out.

GB
GB Pocket
GBC
GBC Light (Jpn)
GBA
GBA SP
GB DS
etc...
etc..

How many people have owned or plan to own at least 5 of the 7?

jarrod

Banned
Pretty much everyone but Nintendo considers DS to be the next GameBoy. But Nintendo's pretty adamant in their new market/3rd pillar stance... probably so they can save face when the PSP competitive GameBoy Evolution releases in 2007/2008. ;)

jarrod

Banned
darscot said:
DS is the next GameBoy. Nintendo learned a long time ago they can keep upgrading the GameBoy and people still keep buying. The back lash from constant upgrade has been virutally nothing pople want to buy the new one no matter how quickly it comes out.

GB
GB Pocket
GBC
GBC Light (Jpn)
GBA
GBA SP
GB DS
etc...
etc..

How many people have owned or plan to own at least 5 of the 7?
You forgot console add-ons...

-Super GameBoy
-Super GameBoy 2
-WideBoy 64 (unreleased)
-GameBoy Player

darscot

The list was only to try and show a point. I skipped the console add ons because they didnt really add anything to the GameBoy just another way to play the games. I thought the JPN market got a lit game boy color? Did the get a lit pocket too?

Meier

The DS is not the "next Game Boy." You can be sure that when the next Game Boy is released, it will have that name in its title.

jarrod

Banned
darscot said:
The list was only to try and show a point. I skipped the console add ons because they didnt really add anything to the GameBoy just another way to play the games.
Actually, the SGB1/2 added optional borders and color schemes that could be programmed in the game. In fact, Nintendo considers it one of their distinct GB 'platforms"...

-GameBoy
-Super GameBoy
-GameBoy Color
-GameBoy Advance

...the GB Player also ads rumble support to select games. These are actual in game additions, unlike remodels such as GB Pocket or GBA SP. :)

darscot said:
I thought the JPN market got a lit game boy color? Did the get a lit pocket too?
Nope, Japan only got the 'indiglo' Pocket Light variant. There was never a lit GBC in any market.

Top Bottom