• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I want a proper sequel to Def Jam: Fight for NY

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
So I randomly popped this game in last night and holy shit I forgot how fucking awesome it is in every way. The create a fighter is probably the best in any game EVER. The gameplay is just pure unadulterated fun. I dumped literally hundreds of hours into FFNY, thats how much I liked it. And we all know ICON was a clusterfuck of absolute failure.

def-jam-fight-for-ny-20040511102045.jpg

Dear EA, get AKI back any way you can to make the next game or I swear Im gonna get really mad and act like I can do something about it!

Bitch.

Edit: intro - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8n2lptI1nI8&feature=related

Returners

This game is the SHIT.

I had a couple of friends who heard the Def Jam name and stayed away from it. But when I forced them down to play it they were amazed at how the actual game plays.... and how hyper violent it is :D

LakeEarth

I liked Vendetta more because of its similarity to No Mercy, but this one really stands out on its own. I can't believe they fucked the franchise up so badly.

Don

Me too. I remember playing a lot of 4 player matches with my friends in Def Jam Vendetta, and then Fight for NY came out and was better in almost every way. Icon was such a mess.

Edit: Was the PSP version of Fight for NY any good?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
This game was incredible. I couldn't beleieve the amount of depth they put into it. I was so excited when Def Jam Icon was announced and it proceeded to suck unholy balls. I really wish that a proper sequel would come around, but I doubt it considering that Def Jam Icon probably sold next to nil.

I agree. This game was awesome, everything about it was pure fun. The art style, story, CAF, finishers, music, roster etc.

I really cant believe what they were thinking when they released ICON. Damn that game was shit. They took out everything I loved about the FFNY and made a shit game.

Preferred the original. Either way I always generally love whatever Aki does when it comes to the wrestling genre. (Although Ready 2 Rumble: Revolution was garbage from what I hear)

How the last two generations would have been so different if they were allowed to keep making WWE wrestling games...

Sigh.

Edit: Actually this one wasn't bad. I was thinking of that awful Icon game.

MMaRsu

Well duh. Do you think you are the only one who wants this?

It's nice to want things. Too bad there is like a 1% chance of this happening :(.

I loved how everyone's "rage" thing was a loud scream, except Flavor Flav who screams "YEAH, BOYEEEEEEEEE!"

Also, the "jump rope with your opponent" finisher was great. This game was awesome. XBOX Originals, please!

WaltJay

Add me to the list of people wondering why EA Chicago felt they needed to reinvent the wheel with Icon. All I wanted was an HD version of FFNY with an updated roster, and what I got was the exact opposite. They got rid of the two defining things that made the first two work so well (AKI gameplay and cartoon/stylized graphics).

Do want.

The sequel was just...so...bad.

EA! Get on this! I'll even be part of the problem and buy the Public Enemy, Run DMC and De La Soul DLC.

MMaRsu

badrockjones said:
I loved how everyone's "rage" thing was a loud scream, except Flavor Flav who screams "YEAH, BOYEEEEEEEEE!"

Also, the "jump rope with your opponent" finisher was great. This game was awesome. XBOX Originals, please!

Not gonna happen. Is this game backwards compatible by the way? I might buy it if so.

But there's only one more Xbox Original coming out and they haven't announced it yet. But my bet is it'll be Halo 2.

Haunted

Best wrestling game of last generation. The funny thing is that those rapper personalities were just as comical as the ones in wrestling. :lol

Icon fucking sucked because it wasn't a proper wrestling game, but a shitty 1 on 1 fighter (both on a technical and design level).

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
MMaRsu said:
Not gonna happen. Is this game backwards compatible by the way? I might buy it if so.

But there's only one more Xbox Original coming out and they haven't announced it yet. But my bet is it'll be Halo 2.
I was playing on xbox, I dont own a 360 but Im fairly certain its not backwards compatible. And it probably never will be. :/

Haunted said:
Best wrestling game of last generation.

Definitely one of the few good ones, and it'll presumably stay that way for a long, long time. The pieces of AKI and Spike/Human have all moved on to other things and the last man standing is fucking Yuke's.

Shafto

If this had Live on it, i'd still be playing.

Fight for NY was great - some epic battles in multiplayer when you had two equally knowledged opponents.

I was really disappointed and completely alienated when the Def Jam game came out for 360.

Azih

Man, the single player campaign had the best lip synching back in the day, I was amazed. And the way the fights started!

"Say goodnight, bitch"

"Goodnight bitch"

*Sucker Punch*

Hell I even got into the dressup aspect, I was all blinged out and then
when I was forced to betray my team, I put on a beat up pulled up hoodie and sweat pants to hide my shame
Fun.

Kingpen

Probably up there with Fight Night Round 2 as my favorite game of all of last gen....

I would buy a new system for a true sequel.... or pay someone some good money to get FFNY backward compatible on 360. Tis a real shame.

That game made PS2 look like what we were still calling "next-gen".

Oh boy it was so fun. In the arena with the metal pillars I was so much in pain when smashing my opponent's gums against them!

The sound, the animation, the graphics, the gameplay, everything was so perfect!

I mean, they even had Danny Trejo! DANNY MOTHERFUCKING TREJO!

Tamanon

Banned
Loved the game, one of the ultimate party games for dudes too. Especially because it was one of the few "wrestling" type games where the moves actually looked like they had impact. Plus it was always funny when you got the "M-I-crooked letter-crooked letter - I -crooked letter crooked letter I humpback humpback I":lol

Kingpen

Don said:

They changed countering, add some 'throw dirt in the face' move, let you mount fighters for ground/pound a la UFC.

BUT they took out the ability to have tag team / 2 on 2 fights cause of the systems lack of processing power.

So it simply is a one-on-one version of FFNY.

It has a different story line though, and a few more venues to fight in. All in all, if you really love FFNY, it is a nice companion to it.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Had alot of fun with Vendetta... had a %$#%$#load of fun with Fight for NY OMG... that game was awesome. Though at first I had trouble with this one fight a few fights in where its at the arena after dark and you get jumped by multiple ppl... til I started doing hit and run tactics around the ring and outside of it I was getting pummeled....

I loved D-Mob's finisher in Vendetta... NOBODY BEATS ME!!!

Both Vendetta and Fight for NY were great.

Played Icon's demo and knew it wasn't for me.....

The fighting styles in the game were awesome, what made it even more awesome was when you could choose another style along with your initial choice and your character is a whole new beast.

MMaRsu

Don said:
Me too. I remember playing a lot of 4 player matches with my friends in Def Jam Vendetta, and then Fight for NY came out and was better in almost every way. Icon was such a mess.

Yes it was. I even made an awesome topic about it!

Returners

SonicX_Zero said:
The fighting styles in the game were awesome, what made it even more awesome was when you could choose another style along with your initial choice and your character is a whole new beast.

Except I never mastered KO-ing off a wall for Martial Arts. Street Fighting + Kick Boxing for me.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
SonicX_Zero said:

I know, and that doesn't even scratch the surface!

Martial arts + _____ variations, depending on what your primary was, yielded different martial arts fighting styles... like Kung Fu, Crane, Jeet Kun Do, Drunken Boxing, etc, etc.

The game was absolutely phenomenal in customization. It just makes me that much angrier at Icon.

WaltJay

I think I finished FFNY SP mode in one sitting. I couldn't stop playing. "Just one..more....fight. I'm almost have enough money to buy a new chain!" :lol

It's such a shame Icon turned out the way it did; the learning curve for the controls was so steep. It felt like a mix of FNR3 and what it'd be like if you could play DJ Hero with a regular controller.

jdogmoney

GuardianE said:
I know, and that doesn't even scratch the surface!

Martial arts + _____ variations, depending on what your primary was, yielded different martial arts fighting styles... like Kung Fu, Crane, Jeet Kun Do, Drunken Boxing, etc, etc.

The game was absolutely phenomenal in customization. It just makes me that much angrier at Icon.

I'm not sure which, but I did the martial arts + something + something else landed you a few drunken boxing moves completely by accident. I was sooooo happy.

And I took great delight in making my rapper look as ridiculous as possible. The character customization is one of the few I actually liked using.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Both Vendetta and FFNY were awesome. Icon was a shame to the series. This IP deserves a decent reboot dammit. Get all those rappers back, Method Man, Busta Rhymes, Snoop, Redman, DMX, Sean Paul (his VA was hilarious), etc, etc, get AKI on it, and it will sell like hot buns.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
I believe that EA disbanded the team working on the next DefJam game early last year.

MMaRsu

jobber said:
I believe that EA disbanded the team working on the next DefJam game early last year.

Which is probably for the best because it was just going to be Def Jam Icon 2 I bet.

EYEL1NER

I can understand the hate for Icon. I did enjoy playing it, but then again, I enjoyed Bulletwitch as well.

There definently needs to be some new Def Jam wrestling games. Fight for NY is still so memorable to me all these years later.

Seeing the intro reminds me that I could never get enough seeing the environment get involved in a fight, whether it was the audience holding your opponent for you to be hit, slamming them against a wall or slamming their head with the door. =( Good times...

Top Bottom