• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I was buying a watermelon the other day and suddenl realized we are alone in universe

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, we are incredibly, incredibly lucky to live on a planet that has thousands of different fruits all equally tasty and delicious just for our consumption. A watermelon is a giant fruit which you can open and eat. And its our plain luck that its insides taste delicious and filling. Have you ever eaten an alphonse mango from India? its aroma fills the air as soon as its brought in the room. You slice/squeeze and consume it and it very well could be the literal taste of heaven. Imagine if earth did not produce such magnificient fruits. Instead it produced acrid, acid filled thorny balls. Imagine world without sweet tasting fruits and substitute their versions from hell instead. How terrible would our lives be? No apples, oranges, melons, mangoes and coconuts. Is there any other planet in the universe that provides subsistence to its masters in such a tasty and delicious fashion? The amount of coincidnces that are needed to produce fruits of such splendor without poison in then, fit for our consumption. The mind boggleth.

I m sorry for bloggaffing here, but we take so many of our nature comforts for granted and are so ingrateful. We are so consumed by our daily lives that we forget the oranges and instead buy the tropicana orange juice. We just buy apple juice or cranberry juice and forget the real deal. Next time when you go to a market, take a moment to stop and admire the redness of a gala apple. Be amazed at the incredibly perfect symmetry of a pineapple and the delicious flesh inside. The brightness of an orange or the distinct shape of a banana, which can easily act as substitute for a lunch. Its wondrous.

Fruits and vegetables are our life. I cannot imagine living without them. Earth is a beautiful place. Teach your kids or your nephews of the amazing fruits earth is giving us, so the future generations may learn and appreciate them.

It's great, but it isn't luck. There isn't some alternative where we might have accidentally been born on Mars and if everything to eat was poison, we'd be dead.

joelseph

You have developed your taste for the fruit because the microbes in your gut thrive off of it. They have subconsciously taught you to enjoy it because they like sugar.

Guevara

Fruit tastes good so that we will eat it and spread the seeds. That doesn't work if it tastes like battery acid.

Also humans have done a ton of selective breeding to make modern fruits.

studyguy

Watermelons are berries

I feel like my nomenclature for fruit is all fucked up after listening to a podcast this morning.

Anustart

Fruits are good n' tasty because it makes it good odds for the fruit to be taken away from the tree and drop seeds elsewhere. So we're not alone. If the aliens have fruit, they're likely tasty as well. It's not luck.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
giphy.gif

We evolved to enjoy these things. To another species they may be disgusting or poisonous. Another species may enjoy spiky thorn balls of death.

AkuMifune

Banned
Not just this planet, but being humans as well.

My dog was watching me make a sandwich with a sad face and I was like, "Opposable thumbs, man. Sorry."

Icefire1424

And here I thought fruits being delicious was purely for the propagation of the species. As in, we eat the delicious fruit and spit or poo out the seeds (which makes an excellent fertilizer, btw), which grows into more delicious fruit. Pretty effective system actually.

Edit: Beaten like a [RADIO EDIT]...rug.

joelseph

And here I thought fruits being delicious was purely for the propagation of the species. As in, we eat the delicious fruit and spit or poo out the seeds (which makes an excellent fertilizer, btw), which grows into more delicious fruit. Pretty effective system actually.

The problem with this line of thinking is that we are not the only vehicle for fertilization. We must examine why we need fruit, not why fruit needs us.

Icefire1424

The problem with this line of thinking is that we are not the only vehicle for fertilization. We must examine why we need fruit, not why fruit needs us.

Symbiotic relationship, yo. We spread the seeds, and get nourishment in the process. Win / win.

Is there any other planet in the universe that provides subsistence to its masters in such a tasty and delicious fashion?

Considering the nearly unimaginable vastness of the universe, and the fact that we now know that planets are common, and the fact that we are all made up of the same stuff...

Yes, there are probably lots of planets out there like that.

#stopwatermelonexceptionalism

Log4Girlz

Most fruits and vegetables have been massively altered by humans to be even more desirable to humans. Strawberries for instance are resent success stories, they used to be tiny and we couldn't make them any larger because birds would so frequently eat them when we attempted to alter them that we couldn't select for size.

besada

Banned
Watermelons are berries

I feel like my nomenclature for fruit is all fucked up after listening to a podcast this morning.

Not just your nomenclature, but everyone's. All of our fruit and veg nomenclature is erratic and largely nonsensical. And watermelons are a special kind of berry, called a pepo, which have hard rinds and soft inner fruit, filled with seeds.

Don't get me started on drupes.

Bodacious

Banned
.....Imagine if earth did not produce such magnificient fruits. Instead it produced acrid, acid filled thorny balls. ...

Then the animal life probably would've evolved to like that, or more likely animals and fruits would both evolve and meet halfway. The ones we don't eat do taste bad.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
If the aliens have fruit, they're likely tasty as well. It's not luck.
I look forward to trying alien 4 course meals in the near future.

studyguy

Not just your nomenclature, but everyone's. All of our fruit and veg nomenclature is erratic and largely nonsensical. And watermelons are a special kind of berry, called a pepo, which have hard rinds and soft inner fruit, filled with seeds.

Don't get me started on drupes.

Everything I've been told is a lie

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Watermelons are berries

I want to say we were likely listening to that same podcast this morning!

Nature is also full of a zillion things that want us to die horribly so it's not like it's a paradise. It's a jungle out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom