• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I was buying a watermelon the other day and suddenl realized we are alone in universe

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Nutmeg is a hallucinogenic.

And yeah, we artificially selected most fruits and vegetables for desirable traits. Wild fruit is nearly not as good.

The Mule

I mean, we are incredibly, incredibly lucky to live on a planet that has thousands of different fruits all equally tasty and delicious just for our consumption. A watermelon is a giant fruit which you can open and eat. And its our plain luck that its insides taste delicious and filling. Have you ever eaten an alphonse mango from India? its aroma fills the air as soon as its brought in the room. You slice/squeeze and consume it and it very well could be the literal taste of heaven. Imagine if earth did not produce such magnificient fruits. Instead it produced acrid, acid filled thorny balls.

the reason earth produces fruits that we enjoy the taste of isn't because the fruits are inherently tasty. the fruit and the animals that eat it co-evolved like that. another animal coming to earth from a different star system might find the food on earth to be acrid and inedible.

Ikael

Life is a sheer miracle in many regards, both from a scientific and from a spiritual point of view. I love this blue planet of ours. I love the fact that I have a degree of consciousness that allows me to enjoy life in ways impossible for other creatures.

We are nothing but self-aware stardust modelled after millenia of being subjected to cosmic energies and then defined trought an evolutionary process. Yet here we are, breathing, living, eating a goddamn watermelon and savouring it in was that a bacteria can't.

This is so fucking awesome in so many levels. Thanks for the topic, Rusty Nails :)

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
giphy.gif

One weird trick watermelons don't want you to know.

Women love this guy!

Our planet man... It's been good to us. it provided a place for us to evolve into what we are today, it's a shame we don't repay it with the kindness she deserves. Instead of trying to protect our grapes and fruits, our caretaker, we're too busy trying to churn out more oil, deforesting all the beautiful rainforests, flooding it with CO2, just to gain more for ourselves, when in reality, all we need is already given to us. Then in the not too distant future, the Earth isn't going to be able to handle all the damage we've done, and it'll wipe us out. That's if we don't change our ways.. I can't imagine a planet that won't allow us to grow bananas, strawberries, grapes, watermelon, and the numerous other fruits and veggies that make life sweet. Why people, why?!?!

Edit: And it gave us weed man!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom