• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ibb & obb |OT| Gumdrops and Gravity

ckohler

WIErAkE.png

CtT55yW.png

• Platform: Playstation 3
  • Developer: Sparpweed and Codeglue
  • Genre: Cooperative Puzzle Platforming
  • Players: 2 players local or online (with tricky 1 player option, see FAQ)
  • File Size: 1GB
  • Price: $9.99 (Currently $7.99 for PS+ Users)
  • Available: August 6, 2013 (North and South America) August 7, 2013 (Europe)

m5ouctE.png

ibb & obb is a two player cooperative game set in a puzzle filled world where gravity goes both up and down. You succeed by working closely together through this non-newtonian world. Gravity isn’t what it used to be. In the bottom half of the world gravity is reversed, enabling ibb and obb to walk on both sides of the horizon. Warps allow you to move from one half to the other. You'll have to find your way through the levels, surfing on gravity, soulhopping enemies and collecting diamonds.

TWCWwTS.gif

Fall up and jump down through 15 levels filled with double gravity puzzles and discover the 8 hidden worlds that will test your new non-Newtonian skills to the maximum.
All levels have their own unique music composed by Kettel known for his warm melodic electronica.

OG6tjyl.png

There's a single player mode?
While designed for two players, there is a single player mode where you control both characters at the same time using both analog sticks. It's crazy challenging, though.

Which is which?
The short one is ibb and the tall one is obb.

Is this coming to any other platforms?
If the PS3 version sells well they plan to port it to PC and possibly other platforms.

SCwwdFs.png

8c0TJQr.png

DBRteSk.png

Mokubba

One of the platformers that I've been interested in this year.

Hopefully there's enough interest for a Vita version.

ckohler

The game's controls make any puzzle that requires precision harder than it should be. I had some noticeable lag when playing online as well.

I can't say we've had any control trouble. It feels very accurate to me. We haven't tried online yet, however. We're going to play that tonight.

Unfortunately I think it'd be too hard for my couch co-op buddy (my wife) so we'd probably never be able to finish it. Looks great though.

kassatsu

Banned
I can't say we've had any control trouble. It feels very accurate to me. We haven't tried online yet, however. We're going to play that tonight.

How far have you gotten in the game? Having completed it, including all but 1 secret level, the floaty-ness of the control + online lag makes some of the later stuff a bit tough.

ckohler

I think we are around level 5 or 6, so still pretty early. The only thing we've struggled with are the puzzles.

I played online with a few people and the lag/choppiness of the characters positions made even the slightest coordination effort futile. Every person I played with what popping all over the place. I've never really had lag problems with my current setup so I'm assuming its just something wrong in the games netcode.

Since single player is impossibly hard, and online is currently maddeningly laggy, looks I won't be playing again till someone comes over to play or the game is patched. =/

RE_Player

Played with a random person on PSN for 2 hours. Really fun co-op game. How can you tell how far you've made it in the game?

VanWinkle

My fiancee and I had fun playing the game. Got four levels in I think. I kind of can't believe there are only 15 levels in the game, but whatever. Still a fun game.

Tohsaka

I was thinking of getting this, but after seeing all of the impressions saying that it's a lot better with co-op I probably won't.

calder

Unfortunately I think it'd be too hard for my couch co-op buddy (my wife) so we'd probably never be able to finish it. Looks great though.

Same for me, which is a shame since I think the game looks really interesting. But since the LBP co-op incident of 2008 my wife and I have agreed to not platform together anymore. ;)

kassatsu

Banned
My fiancee and I had fun playing the game. Got four levels in I think. I kind of can't believe there are only 15 levels in the game, but whatever. Still a fun game.

there are also 7 or so secret levels, but they are only 1 screen. Take a bit of thinking though

Wozman23

I was curious to see if this could be tackled solo, but at about 4 levels in I think I have to admit defeat. Guess it's time to hop online or wait to recruit a friend for some couch co-op.

kassatsu

Banned
I was curious to see if this could be tackled solo, but at about 4 levels in I think I have to admit defeat. Guess it's time to hop online or wait to recruit a friend for some couch co-op.

I think it will end up being on of the rarest psn trophies out there.

I was thinking about buying this; it just came out on UK PSN last week and I enjoyed the demo. I'll either be playing it alone or online; is the netcode bad enough to not bother if I intend to play it online?

deafmedal

Great music and I like the artwork. Picked it up so my daughter and I could play together, it's a bit tough for her but we've enjoyed it thus far. Haven't tried online or SP, and may not, but if you like these sorts of games and have someone to play with on the couch I'd recommend it.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I just found out the music for this game is done by Kettel, who makes really great tunes. http://kettel.bandcamp.com/

I think I might have to grab this when it comes out on STEAM.

Yeah I had never heard of this until I got the email from Sending Orbs about Kettel's involvement in the soundtrack. Hope this gets more people checking out his fantastic works. Will grab this if they're able to port to PC as they plan, and will be buying the shit out of the soundtrack.

Check him out, people!

Any Playstation Plus members picking this up for free?

My couch co-op buddy really sucks at video games, but I'm sure we'll at least have a little fun with it.

Gameplay videos looks soo fun

Camjo-Z

Trying to play this game online with randoms is painful. The slight lag already makes it difficult to time certain jumps properly, but I can't even get past Level 3 since everybody quits on me as soon as we get to any puzzle where the solution's not painfully obvious! At least I'll be able to play this with a couch co-op partner soon.

whitehawk

Banned
Shame this thread got no attention. I just started playing it since it was free on PS+ recently. What an amazing game. It's one of the most frustrating, yet fun games I've played. When you play online, you can only communicate by drawing lines of sparkles. You can point to things, but it's still hard to convey anything much more complex. It's so frustrating when you know what to do, but can't convey it to your co-op partner. However, it's a fun type of frustrating. I was laughing a bunch of times, especially when someone dies. There's also a huge sense of accomplishment when you do finally complete a section after countless tries.

I can't recommend this game enough. I just lost two hours of my day without even realizing it.

whitehawk

Banned
Shame this thread got no attention. I just started playing it since it was free on PS+ recently. What an amazing game. It's one of the most frustrating, yet fun games I've played. When you play online, you can only communicate by drawing lines of sparkles. You can point to things, but it's still hard to convey anything much more complex. It's so frustrating when you know what to do, but can't convey it to your co-op partner. However, it's a fun type of frustrating. I was laughing a bunch of times, especially when someone dies. There's also a huge sense of accomplishment when you do finally complete a section after countless tries.

I can't recommend this game enough. I just lost two hours of my day without even realizing it.
Gonna bump this since I posted it at a late hour.

dock

Thread necro! Hope this is okay.
I've been playing this co-op with my GF, gradually... it's hard for us!

We're up to level nine, and the levels are getting really tricky. The hardest part is that when played co-op it requires plenty of experimentation, which requires the other player to repeat the actions such as 'let me step on your head and give me a lift'.

I'm somewhat dreading the latter half of the game.

Top Bottom