• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you could reeally show off a game for another GAF member...

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I'd show them the game I've been working on...

I've never understood all the hate for Sunshine. I personally liked it more than Mario 64, though it couldn't hold a candle to the 2D Mario games. My biggest complaint with that game was too much item hunting, I beat all the stages but couldn't be arsed wasting the next 2 years of my life collecting every single blue coin. The "secret" stages were a work of genius.

DCX

DCX
DJ Demon J said:
:D

DCX +10000

FYI, if you haven't already seen/played it, check out Blaster Master: Blasting Again for PSX. Inevitable link to the glowing, poorly-written review I did for GA: http://www.gaming-age.com/cgi-bin/reviews/review.pl?sys=psx&game=blastermaster
Heard of it, never played but i will when ever i get some extra cash. I was and still am a huge fan of Blaster Master, but get this...never beat it :p I'm going to make a serious run at it soon though. I'll let you know my progress :)

DCX

DCX said:
Heard of it, never played but i will when ever i get some extra cash. I was and still am a huge fan of Blaster Master, but get this...never beat it :p I'm going to make a serious run at it soon though. I'll let you know my progress :)

DCX

You won't need much extra cash to get it, it retailed new at $10--I'm sure it's cheaper than that by now.

The first BM is tough, but a lot of it is memorization. Level 8 is the hardest, but it really only gets tough at the final boss (you have two survive two fights in a row with no break). Good luck! :)

DCX

DCX
DJ Demon J said:
You won't need much extra cash to get it, it retailed new at $10--I'm sure it's cheaper than that by now.

The first BM is tough, but a lot of it is memorization. Level 8 is the hardest, but it really only gets tough at the final boss (you have two survive two fights in a row with no break). Good luck! :)
Lets see if my memory serves me right, i remember getting the hover for Sophia, then i went all the way back to the first "level" and hovered all the way up and over into a new area...i don't remember much after that....and yes it's insanely hard, would rank right up there with Ninja Gaiden, MDK2 as the hardest games ever.

DCX

DCX said:
Lets see if my memory serves me right, i remember getting the hover for Sophia, then i went all the way back to the first "level" and hovered all the way up and over into a new area...i don't remember much after that....and yes it's insanely hard, would rank right up there with Ninja Gaiden, MDK2 as the hardest games ever.

DCX

Yep, that's Area 4, then the rest flow pretty much linearly (with the exception of level 7 which is linked to Level 2). Ahh, MDK2, that brings back memories of controllers being thrown against the wall.

Vitten

I'd show everyone how to REALLY play F-Zero X trashing staff ghosts and Master GP effortlesly with all sorts of wild dives and sliding tricks and thereby silencing everyone who has the nerve to compare this god game to something called 'wipeout'. ( and even it's bug-infested Segafied NGC successor for that matter )

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Vitten said:
I'd show everyone how to REALLY play F-Zero X trashing staff ghosts and Master GP effortlesly with all sorts of wild dives and sliding tricks and thereby silencing everyone who has the nerve to compare this god game to something called 'wipeout'. ( and even it's bug-infested Segafied NGC successor for that matter )

I'd just roll my eyes and continue playing Ridge Racer V. :)

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
dark10x:
You wanted to show people how "superior" the VGA signal is (and you're right, it is superior to various other output options), but to which output device were you really referring to?
No specific output device was being referenced; it's faulty to even argue from the assumption that signal support is somehow tied to a set's imaging capabilities. It's also faulty to associate the variability of a device's imaging capabilities with a label like PC-monitor/HDTV/arcade-monitor when variability is actually specific to brands, models, and settings like scanrate and resolution and can overlap the other mislabels.
So, your statement should have simply stated that you would love to show people the difference between standard interlaced gaming and progressive scan gaming...
No, a VGA source necessarily specifies both better color and scan property than what's most commonly used with NTSC/PAL and would be the most viable (accessible and supported) and inexpensive option for allowing everyone to see how much display was holding back the impact of graphics.
Specifically with the DC, virtually all games were rendered in 16-bit color and feature various common display flaws (such as the ultra aggressive mipmapping).
No, PS2 games are also rendered mostly into a 16-bit buffer, yet the multipass alpha effects the system is so known for actually make the colors more dithered than they are on DC since SEGA's system can maintain full precision regardless of the number of blends. Also, well designed DC games don't exhibit IQ flaws any more than with another comparable system, especially in mipmapping where usage on PS2 is more limited and even then is of lower quality mostly.
My complaints were embodied in the crowd as these pics were attacked for every reason I attack VGA gaming on a PC monitor.
The argument that the color on a PC VGA monitor is duller than that of a TV is wrong both factually and in its assumption that there are defined distinctions between the two kinds of devices in that regard.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Point one - I was attempting to reference those devices with a simple, generic label for the benefit of those reading. Are you incapable of understanding me when I refer to a CRT based "PC monitor" or "HDTV"? I happen to be well aware of the differences, but I did not imagine that you would require such specifics in order to understand me point.

Point two - VGA == Component video.

You said...

it's faulty to even argue from the assumption that signal support is somehow tied to a set's imaging capabilities

...yet you continue to ignore the alternate, analog video input (component). Why is that? It is a cheaper solution than VGA in most cases and provides equivalent image fidelity. DVI happens to be superior to both of those standards and is becoming more widely available to the public interested in entertainment products.

Also, you wish to demonstrate how visuals today were being held back by the display, yes? Dreamcast VGA (or any other console for that matter) would actually work in this situation, but not in the way you intended. It does not represent the future at all...it represents existing problems. Comparing Dreamcast VGA to a game running through a PC at 1600x1200 resolution with maximum anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering enabled would surely prove to people that current console video output is very poor.

Point three - Dreamcast games suffer from dithering artifacts far more often than PS2 titles do. Gamecube games actually suffer from these issues more often as well (look at Twin Snakes, PN03, Zelda WW, Mario Sunshine, and a host of others). A progressive scan supporting PS2 title displaying through a VGA adaptor on a standard VGA monitor will demonstrate a superior image in comparison to Dreamcast (I have seen this myself using Primal, Guilty Gear X-2, Soul Calibur 2, and SSX3 on PS2). Have you tried this yourself? The problem is, of course, that many PS2 titles lack progressive scan support. I do not feel that this is a major flaw with the hardware, however, as many of the most impressive looking titles on PS2 run in 480p without a problem (Burnout 3, for example, looks far superior to anything the Naomi hardware has ever produced).

DC games do suffer from serious mipmapping issues not present in the other three machines. There are distinct banding lines between each mipmap and this holds true for virtually all DC titles (with a few exceptions). When mipmapping is used on PS2, it does not suffer from this problem. However, many titles do shy away from using it. The ram limitations are obvious here, but you can't always fault the look. Afterall, Model 3 hardware also tended to avoid using mipmapping...and many people praise the look it delivered.

Point four - This obviously applies perfectly to this thread, as I could clearly demonstrate the difference for you in person. We will never come to an agreement here. Would you like me to list the (properly calibrated) equipment with which I conducted various tests with?

There is one question you have avoided multiple times, however...

Which games have you played in progressive scan on modern CRT based HDTV sets (such as those offered by Sony, Panasonic, and Toshiba at consumer electronics stores) and how much experience have you really had with them?

One FINAL question for you...

Did you ignore other output possibilities (ie - component and DVI out) simply due to the fact that Dreamcast does not support them? Yes or no?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Lathentar said:
Why can't you show us now?

Because there's not really anything concrete that I can show ;)

A lot of it is just design docs/thoughts in my head... once I beat SO3 and once I get my hands on RPG Maker XP, then I'll start working on the actual game content.

Top Bottom