• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you haven't yet played D3D Quake I, then you're missing out.

There are many new gamers that haven't played QuakeI with Direct 3D enabled. It's really awesome for me to go back and enjoy such an old game on such new 3D cards.

EmSeta

Err.. what? Does it actually look better than GLQuake? If not, search the web for the Quake Retexturing Project and add it first.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Err, link? I'm curious to see what happens when you mix Quake with Direct3D (well, there was this thing called Half-Life...).

dark10x

DaCocoBrova said:
The characters are still sprites though, right?

Quake...sprites??? :confused:

As far as I can tell, D3D Quake was created in 2001 and is nothing more than an attempt at duplicating the functions of OGL Quake via D3D. I doubt it looks any different from GLQuake, unless the initial poster has a much newer version...and I doubt it touches Tenebrae.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Quake was the first fully rendered 3D game as far as maps are concerned, but IIRC, the characters/bots etc were sprites...

It's been a while. Let me go look at some screenshots.

Edit: Man, good screens are hard to find...

quake_1.gif

I guess they are rendered. My experience w/ the game was in software rendering mode.

DaCocoBrova said:
Quake was the first fully rendered 3D game as far as maps are concerned, but IIRC, the characters/bots etc were sprites...

It's been a while. Let me go look at some screenshots.
yeah you might want to do just that...

dark10x

Quake was entirely 3D. That was the point. There were no sprite enemies anywhere in the game. My first experience with Quake was also in software mode (on 486). The renderer that you chose to play the game with had no effect on whether or not the models were 3D.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
They scaled and animated like sprites. It was like:

really small|small|medium|large|Xtra large|

Walking and running had less than 6 frames it seemed.

dark10x

DaCocoBrova said:
They scaled and animated like sprites. It was like:

really small|small|medium|large|Xtra large|

Walking and running had less than 6 frames it seemed.

No, they did not scale like sprites. However, they had very few frames of animation and frame interpolation was not added until Quake 2.

There were virtually no sprites in Quake. Only certain explosions and general particles used any sort of 2D object. Most effects were actually 3D (even stuff like the blast from the lightning gun).

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
dark10x said:
Quake...sprites??? :confused:

As far as I can tell, D3D Quake was created in 2001 and is nothing more than an attempt at duplicating the functions of OGL Quake via D3D. I doubt it looks any different from GLQuake, unless the initial poster has a much newer version...and I doubt it touches Tenebrae.

I may be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure Quake 1 never was released on OGL. GLQuake is written to use GLide, the 3dfx-specific library. The two (GLide and OpenGL) certainly aren't (or weren't, at the time) compatible. That was the big incentive for direct3d quake - why write it in D3D if there exists an OGL version?

ninge

but there is an open GL version of quake - it's called GLquake and it runs fine on my 9800 just like it did on my voodoo2

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
ninge said:
but there is an open GL version of quake - it's called GLquake and it runs fine on my 9800 just like it did on my voodoo2

you're right - lots of independent developers have built OpenGL versions of Quake and called them GLQuake - but the original one (I believe which was written by Carmack) was strictly GLide-only.

dark10x

Nerevar said:
you're right - lots of independent developers have built OpenGL versions of Quake and called them GLQuake - but the original one (I believe which was written by Carmack) was strictly GLide-only.

No, it most certainly was not Glide only. They included an option to use a special Glide version of OpenGL32.dll, but it was just an option and the original GLQuake could run on any GL platform (including software based GL platforms that lacked the ability to perform the operations in hardware).

There was no "Glide version" released. It was always OpenGL. At the time, different chipsets had special "optimized" GL drivers released for the Quake engine. If you did not place a specific, optimized GL driver in the Quake folder, GLQuake would simply use the standard OpenGL32.dll file in your Windows system folder (which is what people are doing today).

I "DO" believe that there was actually a special Rendition Verite 1000 version of Quake known as VQuake, though...

SKluck

Banned
I've played the version with complete bumpmapping and dynamic lighting a la Doom 3. Don't remember the name or link though.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
dark10x said:
No, they did not scale like sprites. However, they had very few frames of animation and frame interpolation was not added until Quake 2.

There were virtually no sprites in Quake. Only certain explosions and general particles used any sort of 2D object. Most effects were actually 3D (even stuff like the blast from the lightning gun).

What he said.

Top Bottom