• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why haven't you bought UFO 50 yet?

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Its on the list, just a busy month.

Is there some linear progression or overall meta like FunkMiller asked? I would have more fun conquering or getting to a specific level in each game/unlocking more than just a lump some of 50.
For each game you can:
  1. Get to a certain point or do something specific: unlock a collectible "gift".
  2. Beat the game: get the golden cart for that game.
  3. Beat the game while also doing X thing: get the cherry for that game.

I’m going to take a minute to praise Spelunky. Spelunky isn’t just one of the best platformers of all time, it isn’t just one of the greatest roguelikes of all time, it is legit one of the greatest games of all time.
Tough but fair, insanely balanced, sky high skill ceiling, packed with secrets, it hit every nail squarely on the head. Finally getting to hell and beating Yama was such an amazing feeling, I imagine it’s the same dopamine hit Souls players get after they fight a boss a billion times and finally pull off a win.
If Derek Yu took a shit digitally and sold it, I’d probably buy a copy for each platform I own.

Spelunky and Isaac ignited a love of roguelikes/lites, a genre that I never paid to before. I still do the daily runs on those games, I’ve never had a game with that type of longevity. If Gungeon would’ve only put in a scoring system and dailies, it would’ve been a perfect game.

Because I don't gel with the art style at all, I have 0 interest in it even after hearing about it. The last time I was in the mood to play a compilation of retro games was in 2002 when my first PC could only run SNES emulators, don't want to relive that again, thanks.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
96% user score on Steam and people are gushing over it on social media and the other UFO 50 thread.
I'll grab it later, busy with zelda and doing Plucky Knight later.

You can skip Plucky Squire if that's what you meant. It's cute but horrendously slow and boring. Worst pacing I have maybe ever experienced.

But you do you!

Checks eShop:
John Travolta Wallet GIF

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

Corian33

I’m old enough to remember those disks you could buy with like 500 games for PC, of which maybe a handful were actually decent. I’m sure there’s some great stuff here, but I’m not in any hurry when I’ve got plenty of games to play already.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I just have too much other fun stuff to play, and these games honestly all look pretty mid

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Then there's the possibility they don't intend to do any console versions.
Official page says console release is TBA, so there's hope for the console bros. And man I really hope they get it, a life without Ninpek is not a life worth living.

Last edited:

Power Pro

The games are inspired on the 8bit era so of course they are going to be hard as nails.

That said there are easy games, like Ninpek or Magic Garden among others.

Imo having Barbuta being the first game was a mistake, bet it's giving a lot of people a wrong idea of what to expect from UFO 50.

That's false. Many games have a save feature.
Yeah, I like Barbuta, but it does kinda give the wrong first impression. Even the second game, Bug Hunter is a better introduction because it feels more approachable and has some strategy to it, so it doesn't feel janky. It just gets better after Barbuta i think.

A lot of people are getting the wrong impression thinking this is meant to be a collection of janky games like Action 52, when that's the furthest thing from the truth. It's more like if you took a collection of some of the best games that era had to offer and put them in one package.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

Yeah, I like Barbuta, but it does kinda give the wrong first impression. Even the second game, Bug Hunter is a better introduction because it feels more approachable and has some strategy to it, so it doesn't feel janky. It just gets better after Barbuta i think.

A lot of people are getting the wrong impression thinking this is meant to be a collection of janky games like Action 52, when that's the furthest thing from the truth. It's more like if you took a collection of some of the best games that era had to offer and put them in one package.
Yeah I've been surprised by the quality too. People thinking those are just small minigames or gamejam tier stuff are missing out. Lets not forget this thing has been in development for like 7 years or so.

Top Bottom