• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN being Accused of Tampering With GOTY Vote

cireza

Within 1 hour a game drops from 90% to 75%? With second place almost flat? 80/20 principle applies all the time.
Looking at the pictures in detail on my PC, there is definitely an issue with the numbers.

If what I said was actually happening, then it would apply, to even worse degree, to FF VII Rebirth as well. This game barely had any new votes, yet its percentage didn't move at all.

GYPv-Ztcak-AAJ0jo.jpg

Last edited:

CamHostage

...So, nobody here knows that the IGN GOTY award is not and has never been determined by a popularity poll?

...And that IGN would not put a poll which actually counts towards even the Reader's Choice for GOTY in September, before all the big Holiday games come out?

This isn't a real thing. It's possible it reveals bugs or delays in IGN's data posting system, or how low of activity there is on those in-feed polls that they can shift wildly throughout an hour percentage-wise, but other than that, it's meaningless for even those who do read IGN articles.

(Also, BTW, editorial groups generally do not have the power to change results in a poll. These are automated tools usually provided by third-party services or are generic counter apps embedded in the CMS, and they don't come with special buttons of admins to add or delete counts. An editor can reset a poll to zero, that often happens when a poll needs to be restarted, if a choice was left off or sometimes even from a typo if the counter app is text-dependent, but usually it takes an engineer to do work with the data collector. It'd be easier to set up a bot or promote on social to a specific hardcore audience than it would be to edit the tallies in most CMSes I've produced content.)

Last edited:

acm2000

i mean the duel amount seems to be changing in line with the % and someone should tell him that 5am US time doesnt mean its 5am everywhere else in the world...

NickFire

I wouldn't be surprised if the polls are rigged or disregarded. I also wouldn't be surprised if some group (or individual with bots or something) mass voted for a different game either.

Nasigil

A few things could be true:

1. A community vote on IGN matters very little. Most of gamers wouldn't even know its existence.
2. The person that made these few tweets are not exactly the most respected person in gaming circle (I literally don't know them at all so I don't want to say anything good or bad about them)
3. There's some painfully blatant manipulation going on in this particular IGN vote to bring down Black Myth Wukong specifically
4. The manipulation is very likely done by IGN internally, considering they have a track record of doing the same thing in 2019 with Death Stranding. This time right before the "coop" they made a tweet about this GOTY vote, listing 4 other games as their top 4 while purposefully ignoring BMW which sits at 90% at the time of the tweet. A few hours later we had an influx of 40k votes against BMW and dragged it from 90% all the way down to 70% in a few hours.
5. Shady behaviors should be called out, even if it doesn't have much actual significance.

To anyone saying "ITS BECAUSE OF BOTS" why are you assuming that? What makes you think it would have BOTS voting for it and if so, did bots write positive reviews of the game etc? IGN on the other hand has been negative about the game even outspokenly so.... and as the old adage goes "You cant spell IGNorant without IGN!" . ... If "bot votes" are removed how did they remove them? How could they tell bot votes from time of day a lot of chinese gamers get online in the morning or off work at night and all find out there is poll? It just seems weird multiple people are screaming about BOTS when nobody mentioned bots including IGN and using it as an explanation - So there can be wrongdoing by BOTS but not wrongdoing by IGN because thats crazy?

Last edited:

Zacfoldor

Look, here's what I think. Wukong or Astrobot should win, 2nd place for the alternative. Rebirth number 3 due to the ending. That is all. Stop screwing around IGN, better be transparent.

The more I play Wukong the more I see yalls argument about it possibly winning. It really is a good game that keeps the pressure on, where some other soulslikes tend to get way too easy way to quick. Wukong is a pretty great game that can give a wonky impression if you don't play far enough or give it a chance.

Wukong and Astro are the two best of the year atm, with honorable mention to Rebirth.

Is no one considering that maybe Wukong was only that high because of tampering and fans rigging the vote? And that the percentage dropping is the result of them purging what were fake users or fake votes? I find it very hard to believe that there is THAT much hype over fucking Wukong.

stop posting tweets from these losers, bruh
Seriously. Just a conspiracy theorist. People give more leeway with some random nobody on the internet?
I did my part and also voted for Shadow of the Edtree.
I'm not big on DLCs being considered "games" and voted on in the same category. They should have their own category. The DLC is banking on the fame of the main game to get votes...it's not really the same.

Last edited:

Three

I don't understand, could it not have just been a non-chinese region voting for other games at that time? Is there solid proof of tampering?

Top Bottom