• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Hands-On: Rumble Roses

Solid

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/555/555751p1.html

The biggest mistake that someone could make regarding Rumble Roses, however, is that it has nothing else besides eye candy. Because unlike similar fan-service games like Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball or just about anything with the word "Princess" in it, Rumble Roses offers a somewhat substantial helping of gameplay mechanics. Borrowing very heavily from the SmackDown franchise in a multitude of ways, it plays a lot like that series does; only dumbed down a bit to keep things light.
What makes the game cool, though, is the care and precision that the developers have taken in showing the onscreen action. Each of the nearly two-dozen playable characters (half of which are hidden) are made up of 10,000 polygons apiece, with carefully planted camera angles in suggestive (and hilarious) positions every time a move is performed. Luckily, these aren't the moves you'll find in your typical female wrestling match either. You'll have Michinoku Drivers, jumping moonsaults, and all sorts of other impressive and powerful maneuvers. When playing, flashbacks of the Jumping Bomb Angels frequently rush to my mind.
There's also an interesting option available during the exhibition mode that allows players to complete specific types of challenges (ala the EA sports model) to unlock additional points for each girl's Face and Heel rating. These ratings, when raised to 100%, allow the girls to earn a shot at the championship belt later on down the line. Some of these challenges include making it through a bout without using any weapons (yes there are weapons) or to use a specific finisher in order to win. There's even a storyline mode with full voice-overs and genuine character development -- though our version of the game didn't have this entirely working yet.
On the whole, though, I'm interested to see how Rumble Roses turns out. While I was playing, the entire office gathered around my desk (yes, even the married guys) to see what all the hubbub was about and most left pretty entertained. Though it's pretty much a given that this probably won't supplant THQ's SmackDown franchise as THE wrestling game to own this holiday season (and it's not really meant to), what we've played so far is a whole lot of fun -- which is definitely a good sign.
New videos too (mud fight!), check the media section :)

Top Bottom