• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Posts Up More Project Cafe Hardware Power Rumors

Instro

Nirolak said:
Right, any assessment I am making of this is based on the presumption that they aren't actively downgrading the card.

They've never done so in the past anyway. Obviously handhelds are a different story.

IchigoSharingan said:
I hope they don't "3DS" the GPU. Man that chapped my ass.

Well honestly I just want a Nintendo system with some god damn brass balls again.
Haha, oh god.

350 / 450 mhz core/vram clocks down from 700/900 , 256MB of gddr3 with a 64bit memory bus.
384MB of DDR2 ram.

That would pretty much put it in the 'slightly more powerful than 360' rumour ballpark, having it butchered like that.

I'd agree that 2GB gddr5 would be rather expensive btw, but is there any reason to go unified when you have plenty to begin with?

1GB gddr5, 2GB ddr3 ram (which is cheap as chips), believe.
Actually make that 3GB, so we can finally get some functionality out of those multiple cores...

Multitasking/ browser with tabs open during gameplay/ background apps like a music player and mumble.

Don't start with the 'then get a pc' bollox, the ps3 and psp have a browser and can play media but it's bloody useless because you can only do one thing at a time.

midonnay

Jin34 said:
I think 2GB of GDDR5 is being overly optimistic even though it would be the best safeguard against the PS4/720. 1GB is what I've always expected.

is it possible in this day and age to have a ram upgrade unit like the N64?

eastmen

Banned
midonnay said:

They can , but i doubt it .

Basicly they'd have to put a ram slot in the console where you can acess it with a ram stick. I don't think they will do this and it will fracture the install base. I think they learned that lesson with the n64.

1GB of ram shouldn't cost much . But this is nintendo we are talking about

Mr_Brit said:
Wii 2 is using a 4850 which isn't just a 4870 using GDDR3, it also has a much lower core clock and much lower TDP so is quite a bit slower. Using GDDR5 will get it closer to a 4870 but it will still be quite a bit slower thanks to the vastly lower core clock.

Some 4850 cards were made with GDDR5. Also 4850 has 256-bit bus that no console ever has been able to afford. If Nintendo uses this chip they will use GDDR5 ram, but cut the bus in half.

Elixist

shadyspace said:
If IGN is trolling us with these specs I will literally evolve into SSJ4 Rage Guy.

Grain Of Salt® for me until I see the games. I'd love for it to be this powerful though exciting times ahead indeed.

midonnay said:

Not if you solder the goddamn memory into the system. Ugh... what a dick move!
It'd be great to have a console that lets you upgrade some things like that, and in the game config you can adjust settings accordingly. Upgrade PS4 to 5GB of DDR3 1800 RAM, set textures to EYEGASM Mode.

SneakyStephan said:
Haha, oh god.

350 / 450 mhz core/vram clocks down from 700/900 , 256MB of gddr3 with a 64bit memory bus.
384MB of DDR2 ram.

That would pretty much put it in the 'slightly more powerful than 360' rumour ballpark, having it butchered like that.

I'd agree that 2GB gddr5 would be rather expensive btw, but is there any reason to go unified when you have plenty to begin with?

1GB gddr5, 2GB ddr3 ram (which is cheap as chips), believe.
Actually make that 3GB, so we can finally get some functionality out of those multiple cores...

Multitasking/ browser with tabs open during gameplay/ background apps like a music player and mumble.

Don't start with the 'then get a pc' bollox, the ps3 and psp have a browser and can play media but it's bloody useless because you can only do one thing at a time.

Vomit.gif

Darryl

Banned
I understand that Sony/Microsoft might be able to put in better hardware into their consoles, but where does the idea come from that the new games on those consoles won't be portable onto Cafe?

Are we at the edge of some major advancements in game development? New improvements just seem to be coming so slow. Crysis is still one of the best games I've seen in awhile, and that game is almost 4 years old now.

IchigoSharingan said:
It'd be great to have a console that lets you upgrade some things like that, and in the game config you can adjust settings accordingly. Upgrade PS4 to 5GB of DDR3 1800 RAM, set textures to EYEGASM Mode.

Vomit.gif

Haha, that guy actually looks like reggie too in profile with the hair!!
Was that intended?

My body is RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURHBLLLLGGLLGLGG.

ReyVGM

IchigoSharingan said:
It'd be great to have a console that lets you upgrade some things like that, and in the game config you can adjust settings accordingly.

Jeez... why would you want that? If you want to do that, then get a PC!

Upgrading RAM only segments the market.

ReyVGM said:
Jeez... why would you want that? If you want to do that, then get a PC!

Upgrading RAM only segments the market.

Not really. You can keep the basic RAM requirements, but just offer more and scale it accordingly. How is this not desirable? N64 didn't suffer from market segmentation.

ReyVGM

IchigoSharingan said:
Not really. You can keep the basic RAM requirements, but just offer more and scale it accordingly. How is this not desirable? N64 didn't suffer from market segmentation.

And what, be like PC gamers constantly having to update the hardware to be able to play the latest games at fullspeed/res/frames/whatever?

No thank you. There's a reason why consoles are successful and one of them is that you don't have to mess with upgrading anything. You buy a box and you play with it for 5 or so years.

(You're actually not being sarcastic?)

ReyVGM said:
And what, be like PC gamers constantly having to update the hardware to be able to play the latest games at fullspeed/res/frames/whatever?

No thank you. There's a reason why consoles are successful and one of them is that you don't have to mess with upgrading anything. You buy a box and you play with it for 5 or so years.

(You're actually not being sarcastic?)

Define constantly. :)

Cipherr

ReyVGM said:

No, be like console gamers and play the latest releases at the same resolution Tobal 2 ran at a decade ago, at a choppy 30 fps with no online because 'de hackers done broked it' or whatever.

in2vae.gif

Medalion said:
Nintendo magic will fill in for that missing RAM and lower clock speeds...BELIEVE!
3rd parties won't.

I'm all for Nintendo going Naughty Dog on Cafe, but the rumored amount of RAM is disappointing.

3rd parties need the cushion.

ReyVGM

LOL at people wanting consoles to be like PCs.

Pray tell, why even have consoles then? Why not just use PCs? Why are you even interested in this topic if PCs are so superior and the Wii2 or any console is already outdated by the time it comes out?

Medalion

Banned
Buckethead said:
3rd parties won't.

I'm all for Nintendo going Naughty Dog on Cafe, but the rumored amount of RAM is disappointing.

3rd parties need the cushion.
I am in the realm of believing we are getting at least 1GB RAM, not the proposed 512mb RAM, the specs can change from debut till launch as well

Can I just point out that all of this great performance potential won't be used explicitly for graphical fidelity.

If the console is streaming video content to multiple controllers, that will require some grunt.

Xavien

ReyVGM said:
LOL at people wanting consoles to be like PCs.

Pray tell, why even have consoles then? Why not just use PCs? Why are you even interested in this topic if PCs are so superior and the Wii2 or any console is already outdated by the time it comes out?

Because sadly, Nintendo doesn't do multiplatform :(

EVH

Opus Angelorum said:
Can I just point out that all of this great performance potential won't be used explicitly for graphical fidelity.

If the console is streaming video content to multiple controllers, that will require some grunt.

Oh boy, here we go!

Van Owen

Banned
I'm definitely not getting my hopes up. I think we should all expect slightly more powerful than 360 instead of this 5-6x stuff...

Did you master Just Dance? Because you certainly are moving around my request. It's okay, you already spoke volumes of your sheer ignorance by not addressing it.

Adding a few upgrades to a console can give it more legs in terms of longevity. Over the course of a console's life cycle, a consumer invests (typically) a lot of money into it. Almost as much as the purchase of a high end PC. I'm both console and PC gamer. Both platforms have stuff I enjoy. A few upgrades would pale in comparison to the average total cost, and it would take longer for me to 'need' to grab another console.

Consoles are treated more and more like PCs, so whatever bubbleverse you are in needs to download a reality update. You can upgrade to better controllers, wireless adapters, hard drives, skins, themes, slims, etc. etc. We are sold on this shit all the time. Yet RAM is out of the issue? That's poppycock. I don't see anyone with a vanilla controller throwing a hissy fit over SSF4 arcade sticks and demanding they be recalled to set things fair.

le.phat

Opus Angelorum said:

What i was thinking. The streaming to multiple devices is going do a number on the CPU, not to mention the RAM.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Opus Angelorum said:

Streaming video requires very little grunt at all.

It's not simply streaming video, it's streaming images with touch-capable response etc.

Whatever card it has, I expect it to be running 70% at best.

Opus Angelorum said:

Which goes back to that fake David Perry quote:

"[...] But like the 3DS and it's 3D, that raw power only counts if you leave it's main feature off."

Mr_Brit

Banned
le.phat said:
Depends of the quality & resolution of the video stream, and number of devices it streams to.
Assuming it's streaming 1080p split to 4 controllers then it should take very little work.

le.phat said:
What i was thinking. The streaming to multiple devices is going do a number on the CPU, not to mention the RAM.

The screens are small though. That would offset the intensive nature of the stream on the CPU. 4 streams at once... maybe one core could handle all of that. But the rumor is triple core, right? 2 cores left for the actual game video + sound.... hmm...need a 4th core.

We need to know:

quality
data rate kbit/s
video only?
codec
frame rate

Izayoi

Banned
Don't fuck this up Nintendo.

You need more than 512MB of RAM.

Don't fuck this up.

Are you listening to me?

Look at me.

Don't fuck this up.

le.phat

Mr_Brit said:
Assuming it's streaming 1080p split to 4 controllers then it should take very little work.

Don't forget the console is not just decoding/encoding video to stream it, but also has to do the actual render passes for every device that has its own unique stream. You don't think that will put strain on the CPU ? Or will use a conciderable amount of the RAM to buffer ?

le.phat said:
Don't forget the console is not just decoding/encoding video to stream it, but also has to do the actual render passes for every device that has its own unique stream. You don't think that will put strain on the CPU ? Or will use a conciderable amount of the RAM to buffer ?

3GB DDR3 1600 confirmed?

Elixist

SneakyStephan said:
499 already gets you a pre built phenom II x4 955, 4 gb ram, 1 TB hdd, hd6850 , dvd writer and case + psu.
Where do they shop :lol

Wtf? I smell bullshit. Link please I would love to see that.

Van Owen

Banned
The ign guys are pretty much shitting on the system on the latest game scoop. Theyre dissapointed that it isn't significantly more powerful than 360, which us something they originally claimed, and then proceeded to build a system that was more in line with the current systems lol. why would they report it was significantly more powerful if it is basically a 4850 with 1GB of ram?

Mr_Brit said:
Streaming video requires very little grunt at all.

That's assuming it will simply be a stream, I expect it to be sending video back and forth from each controller along with data taken from user input.

1-D_FTW

Error Macro said:
Which goes back to that fake David Perry quote:

"[...] But like the 3DS and it's 3D, that raw power only counts if you leave it's main feature off."

That's was confirmed to be a lie. He never said that.

Van Owen said:
The ign guys are pretty much shitting on the system on the latest game scoop. Theyre dissapointed that it isn't significantly more powerful than 360, which us something they originally claimed, and then proceeded to build a system that was more in line with the current systems lol. why would they report it was significantly more powerful if it is basically a 4850 with 1GB of ram?

Because you're illiterate when it come to tech and it is? What were you expecting? Something that drew 300 watts? This is a fantastic system if true.

Van Owen

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
That's was confirmed to be a lie. He never said that.

Because you're illiterate when it come to tech and it is? What were you expecting? Something that drew 300 watts? This is a fantastic system if true.
Which is why he said it was fake. Why are you calling me illiterate?

Elixist said:
Wtf? I smell bullshit. Link please I would love to see that.

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=913724&t=2924373

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2925269

http://www.google.com/products/cata...WtQP4j9W-Cw&ved=0CGMQ8wIwAA&biw=1920&bih=976#

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-Memory+(Desktop+Memory)-_-Corsair-_-20233132

i5 2500k + 1TB HD = $200
Radeon 5830 = $100
mobo =$111
ddr3 1333 ram =$40

power supply/dvd writer easy to find deals on.

This took me less than 5 minutes on my fave deals sites. The 'PC gaming is in the thousand$$$' argument is the sole haven for the great unwashed.

Top Bottom