• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN review Burnout 3: Takedown

Solid

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/544/544152p1.html

Presentation
Crashes are presented stylishly, the World Tour mode is intuitive, and the rewards system is great. If only we earned licensed or cooler cars, we'd have nothing to nitpick over.

9.5 Graphics
Mostly flawless 60-fps framerate, widescreen, progressive scan capable. The crash effects are beyond compare. This is also one of the most stunning PS2 titles. Period.

8.0 Sound
Soundtrack has a decidedly monotonous teeng-angst vibe, but there are 40+ tracks if you're into that. The sound effects and in-game audio is fantastic, though.

9.5 Gameplay
Arcade-style racing at its best, but new life is breathed into it. Varied, unbelievably quick, clever, and groundbreaking. Not too challenging, but addiction sets in regardless. Basically, it owns.

10.0 Lasting Appeal
Single-player alone is so magnetic you'll be constantly drawn back. However, all the rewards, plus the technical feat of 2-8 player online really opens it up for endless replay value.

OVERALL: 9.4
(out of 10 / not an average)

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/544/544152p1.html

9.4 :D

Wow.

One of the most impressive arcade racers of our time. Full review.

We do not hesitate to say, then, that this is one of the best games there is -- not just of 2004 -- but of this generation.

Burnout 3 is astonishing. It's one of the best arcade racers I've ever touched

Don't make the mistake of thinking Need for Speed Underground 2 or even Gran Turismo 4 (a completely different kind of racer) is a better buy.

Gerber

Banned

8.0 Sound
Soundtrack has a decidedly monotonous teeng-angst vibe, but there are 40+ tracks if you're into that. The sound effects and in-game audio is fantastic, though.

Does Xbox support custom soundtracks?

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
I'm glad they are reiterating the fact that it's better than NFS Underground. Criterion should do all of EA's racers now that they own them.

Lil' Dice

Banned
Gerber said:

8.0 Sound

Does Xbox support custom soundtracks?

Yes,.....XBox fo' life!!

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
explain how you know this.

less than a week to burnout 3. oh sweet joy.

Solid

Scores so far:

10/10 - PSW
10/10 - XBN
10/10 - Xbox Mag UK
9.4/10 - IGN
9/10 - Edge
9.0 / 9.5 / 9.0 *Gold/GOTM* - EGM
5/5 - PSM
9.3/10- OXM

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Let's get off my penis, folks, and concentrate on the fleshy, turgid, lengthy gaming goodness that is Burnout 3. Xbox version and custom soundtracks, here I come!

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I WANT THIS MOTHERFUCKING GAME!

Seriously, I absolutely cannot wait to tear the shrink wrap off the motherfucker and toss it into my Xbox.

Solid

burnout-3-takedown-20040902025805225.jpg

burnout-3-takedown-20040902025808521.jpg

burnout-3-takedown-20040902025440389.jpg

I'm surprised they didn't give it a 10 for graphics.

Shompola

Banned
graphics get 9.0 for xbox. xbox version is less polished or ign is doing a gamespot by giving relative scores depending on what platform it is?

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Just a few more days..... and you'll be mine... my precious.....

Flatbread

Another EA game gets extremely high marks, the first 2 games were pretty good, though Im one of the few that preferred the first one.

I like the first one because the traffic was much denser, and had so many moments of crazy dodge sequences that left me thrilled. The second one had too many tracks that were straight aways that I just drove on the shoulder into oncoming traffic and rang up the consecutive burnouts. Everything was better in burnout 2 except the gameplay, but few agree with me about the gameplay.

Since not one review I read took notice of this, I have to wait to play the game, it just sounds like such a hype job. I care very little about graphics when Im driving 200 mph.

I much preferred the first as well. I found the second to be rather soulless and an absolute cake walk. The first game was much more of a challenge, although still pretty easy, and felt fresh. I'm hoping Burnout 3 will be everything that everyone is saying it is, but I'll give it a rent to be on the safe side. Fingers crossed.

Prine

Banned
Expected!

Both Fable and Burnout 3 should keep me busy until that special day. ;P

November 9th

Well, it depends on Outrun2 reviews

That score is pretty bad ass. Now I'm in trouble though,I had Outrun 2 as my sole racer for this year,now this happens.

To the people that have played it alot,is tha a.i. cool to compete against? By that I mean,they don't cheat by spinning you out from behind or the most offending thing of all-protect the current car in the lead by tapping their brakes while infront of you.

Yes,yes, I'm being picky,but I just want to go in ahead of time knowing what to expect before I possibly purchase this one.

T-1000_Model3 said:
That score is pretty bad ass. Now I'm in trouble though,I had Outrun 2 as my sole racer for this year,now this happens.

To the people that have played it alot,is tha a.i. cool to compete against? By that I mean,they don't cheat by spinning you out from behind or the most offending thing of all-protect the current car in the lead by tapping their brakes while infront of you.

Yes,yes, I'm being picky,but I just want to go in ahead of time knowing what to expect before I possibly purchase this one.

The first two games are probably the easiest racing games I've ever played through. Unfortunately, this hasn't seemed to change from playing the Burnout 3 demo. Hopefully the finished game is much tougher.

Joe

god damn, this is exactly the type of game im really in the mood for right now. its a damn shame im poor as hell now :(

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I can't wait to play this. Both this and OR2 are gonna claim the racing king crowns this fall!

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Flatbread said:
Another EA game gets extremely high marks, the first 2 games were pretty good, though Im one of the few that preferred the first one.

I like the first one because the traffic was much denser, and had so many moments of crazy dodge sequences that left me thrilled. The second one had too many tracks that were straight aways that I just drove on the shoulder into oncoming traffic and rang up the consecutive burnouts. Everything was better in burnout 2 except the gameplay, but few agree with me about the gameplay.

Since not one review I read took notice of this, I have to wait to play the game, it just sounds like such a hype job. I care very little about graphics when Im driving 200 mph.
Burnout 1 has a special place in my gaming heart for exactly the reasons you express, but I don't dislike Burnout 2 for not simply being more of what Burnout 1 was. The core remains the same from game to game, but Criterion has been successful in making sure that each iteration doesn't feel like a simple "roster update" of the previous outing. It's one of the few game series today where I want to own each iteration because they are all different enough to distinguish themselves as unique and enjoyable gaming experiences.

PanopticBlue said:
The first two games are probably the easiest racing games I've ever played through.
I can see you maybe saying that about the second game (and that's being generous :p ) but the first game certainly doesn't rank among the easiest racers I've played.

Drexon

Banned
Joe said:
god damn, this is exactly the type of game im really in the mood for right now. its a damn shame im poor as hell now :(
Yeah, I got cockroaches running around me saying "BLING BLING!" after my recent near death computer upgrade experience.

Been playing this a bit, and its fucking awesome.

The sense of speed is about the same as BO2, but unfortunately the traffic is still relatively sparse.

The AI doesn't seem any smarter than the last game, but they are much more aggressive. In one race, I thought I was smoking the competition when I went to check my rearview mirror just in time to see a car slam into me, sending me into a wall, stealing my boost. The whole system of stealing the other racers' boost is fantastic. Nothing like setting a car up for a pick, and then not only doubling your boost, but doubling your boost meter.

Now after a crash you can slow your car down and gain control of its wreck path, which is meant to let you steer into oncoming opponents, but I haven't found it to be useful yet.

Lastly, the custom soundtrack is a necessity. Nothing beats driving around doing 180 listening to a mix of ignorant "beat a bitch" southern rap music/mantronix type electro/hardcore hip-hop.

skip

traffic is sparse, but it tends to show up in the most "GET THE HELL OUT OF THE WAY!" of places. and aftertouch takedowns are rad because if you crash and manage to tap one or two guys behind you, you won't lose too much ground on the restart. I just wish the camera was controllable during them so you can actually see where to aim.

Top Bottom