• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Review: Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/566/566279p1.html

Closing Comments

Once again, this is the best game in the Metal Gear Solid series and it pushes the PS2 just as far as it can go. With a total of 20-25 hours for the first time this provides a fantastic experience that will stimulate multiple parts of your brain and make you feel all fuzzy inside. The storyline plays out like a twist-filled spy novel and the rest of the characters and action fit well into this earlier version of the Metal Gear universe. With so much going on this is a game that will easily please fans of the series and help to woo back those who were dismayed by MGS2.

With a beautiful graphical style and dozens upon dozens of things to try out in this highly detailed game playing it once just isn't enough. There are still issues with the camera system that can become frustrating, but with the general level of excellence everywhere else and considering the limitations of the PS2 this is still an amazing game. This is a true return to form and a hell of a way for the series to wrap up several plot lines in an exciting way. They don't get much better than this.

Dammit, I don't want to have to buy this game this week. >_< But alas I must, as I am a die-hard MGS fan. Hopefully I'll actually get to play some in-between playing my shiny new DS. ^_^

Drek

Mrbob said:
Surprise of the year.
Saddly, it kind of is. This has been way overshadowed by GTA:SA, Halo 2, and even to some degree Metroid Prime 2. I can't wait to get this though. :)

WarPig

And Sons of Liberty still has the higher score in the database.

Man, the fall of 2001 was a bad one. I blame profound anemia.

DFS.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
My most wanted game this year. Not GTA:SA, not Halo 2, not Metroid Prime 2, not Gran Turismo 4 (ok, maybe Half-life 2, but seeing as I can't play it on my PC...). Nice to see such a high score, although at this point I'm fairly certain the game will turn out really good aaaand it's already pre-ordered. I'm all set, just bring it on Konami!! :D

Mrbob

I'm starting to think even scores like 9.6 may be too low for this game. What I mean by this is after the MGS2 debacle MGS3 had to be nearly the perfect sequel in all phases to come away without getting a huge beatdown. Looks like Konami succeeded.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Closing Comments
Once again, this is the best game in the Metal Gear Solid series and it pushes the PS2 just as far as it can go. With a total of 20-25 hours for the first time this provides a fantastic experience that will stimulate multiple parts of your brain and make you feel all fuzzy inside. The storyline plays out like a twist-filled spy novel and the rest of the characters and action fit well into this earlier version of the Metal Gear universe. With so much going on this is a game that will easily please fans of the series and help to woo back those who were dismayed by MGS2.
With a beautiful graphical style and dozens upon dozens of things to try out in this highly detailed game playing it once just isn't enough. There are still issues with the camera system that can become frustrating, but with the general level of excellence everywhere else and considering the limitations of the PS2 this is still an amazing game. This is a true return to form and a hell of a way for the series to wrap up several plot lines in an exciting way. They don't get much better than this.

He complains about the camera a bit (and acknowledges that it's much less of a problem in MGS3 due to right stick control) but I wouldn't trade that type of camera in MGS to anything :p

10 Presentation
There are several new things to do in the game, but all are easy to navigate. Customizing the backpacks also helps out the in-game action by speeding up the changes.

10 Graphics
As good as it gets on the PS2 with individual blades of grass, ropes on a bridge that can be shot out and tons of other details scattered all over the place. Characters fare just as well with some det

10 Sound
Quality voice acting as always in all aspects and a full range of sound effects that populate the world with noises in the Dolby Pro Logic II setup.

9.6 Gameplay
It's the best iteration of the stealth espionage action seen to date with a world of options available to players. The lack of camera views is understandable, but still a bit disappointing.

9.0 Lasting Appeal
It's easy to see people playing through at least twice if not many more times than that. Different strategies and the frog hunt are the carrots on the stick for replayability here.

Socreges

Banned
I'll never understand why people place more weight in one person who happens to represent IGN versus other sites (save Gamespot and EGM to some extent).

At any rate, add it to the collective. No doubt that the game is going to rock hard (throughout).

king zell

great great great
smiley-rock.gif

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
The lack of camera views is understandable.

No...it actually isn't. We should have the option of a 3rd/over-shoulder view (like Splinter Cell).

Mrbob

AlphaSnake said:
No...it actually isn't. We should have the option of a 3rd/over-shoulder view (like Splinter Cell).

One of the few times I agree with you! Especially with no radar to help you out this time.

Very cool. I have a feeling this is going to be my GOTY (sorry Halo 2 and MP2: Echoes).

I like the fact that the hype has been somewhat subdued this time out, and it's more of "oh, MGS3 is already out? Nice."

The big Japanese developers seem to have been in a weird funk the last year or two, but with MGS3, Resident Evil 4, Legend of Zelda, and FFXII (yes, even despite the fruity main character), it looks like they're coming back strong.

Also :lol at the MGS fans ripping on IGN.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
AlphaSnake said:

I think it is understandable, if they have designed the game around certain camera angles, or if the engine is somehow limited in a way that makes it hard to constantly use a 3rd/over-shoulder view. In that case it may not be acceptable, but understandable.

Prine

Banned
well, it looks like its time to import a US PStwo. I dont think i can wait until march 2005 for euro release

Mrbob

I noticed reviewers have been extremely quiet about the last third of this game. In fact we know nothing about it at all. Even in pics. I swear I read that 2/3 of this game takes place in the jungle infiltrating to the base you need to get too and the last 1/3 of the game takes place in the base. Am I smoking crack? No pics, no details, no nothing about the last part of this game. Even in reviews.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
I don't have time for this. Seriously.

Between finishing up San Andreas, unlocking Rumble Roses, steaming through HalfLife 2, and retaining some semblance of a family life....MGS3 has to wait. I'm sorry Hideo, you mah dawg and all, but there are only so many hours in the day.

Nice score, though.

Mrbob

bishoptl said:
I don't have time for this. Seriously.

Between finishing up San Andreas, unlocking Rumble Roses, steaming through HalfLife 2, and retaining some semblance of a family life....MGS3 has to wait. I'm sorry Hideo, you mah dawg and all, but there are only so many hours in the day.

Nice score, though.

:(

Is unlocking Rumble Roses part of the daily family activity? :p

Socreges

Banned
I think I may actually put GTASA aside for MGS3. It'll be easy to get back to and I'm not addicted to it for some reason (though enjoying it a ton all the same).

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Mrbob said:
:(

Is unlocking Rumble Roses part of the daily family activity? :p

Put the kid to bed, turn the lights down low, light some candles and incense before slipping some Barry White into the CD player...then boot up the PS2. Oh baby. :D

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I'm starting to think even scores like 9.6 may be too low for this game. What I mean by this is after the MGS2 debacle MGS3 had to be nearly the perfect sequel in all phases to come away without getting a huge beatdown. Looks like Konami succeeded.
I have that feeling myself.

He tries to rationalize it by saying that engine may not be able to handle over the shoulder view. To me, that makes no sense, as you can switch to first person view and rotate camera anytime. I don't see how is doing that any less taxing to an engine than the over the shoulder view. Still, I don't care, personally. I wouldn't trade those carefuly chosen cinematic angles for anything, and moving the camera around using the right stick was more than enough for me in the demo.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
bishoptl said:
Put the kid to bed, turn the lights down low, light some candles and incense before slipping some Barry White into the CD player...then boot up the PS2. Oh baby. :D
:lol

skip

Mrbob said:
I noticed reviewers have been extremely quiet about the last third of this game. In fact we know nothing about it at all. Even in pics. I swear I read that 2/3 of this game takes place in the jungle infiltrating to the base you need to get too and the last 1/3 of the game takes place in the base. Am I smoking crack? No pics, no details, no nothing about the last part of this game. Even in reviews.

we don't want to spoil it for anyone. :) not that there's a big twist or anything, but a lot of the cooler stuff happens in the final act of the game, including what's IMO the best ending sequence I've ever played.

1998 was great.

I like the stuff this year, but the Japanese devs are still tops IMO, and its nice to see many of them starting to round back into A-game shape.

COCKLES

being watched
How many of those 20-25 hours are filled with cutscene bollocks like.

SNAKE: Revolver Hexegon. You were part of Project Valkyrie GEAR R-95. Why did you murder Lola Sound Avalanche to protect Cougar Marmasot?

REVOLVER: ....

snapty00

Banned
COCKLES said:
How many of those 20-25 hours are filled with cutscene bollocks like.

SNAKE: Revolver Hexegon. You were part of Project Valkyrie GEAR R-95. Why did you murder Lola Sound Avalanche to protect Cougar Marmasot?

REVOLVER: ....
God, I know. It's like being in a conversation in which you have no business being.

Unison

My favorite MGS nonsense is when how characters all start going on about the preciousness of life before they kick the bucket.

"I was trained from age 3 as a sniper. If only I had learned to color instead like the other kids. I think I understand now... It's not about winning... It's all about love." *dies* :lol

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
My favorite MGS nonsense is when how characters all start going on about the preciousness of life before they kick the bucket.
Well, that's part of the charm!

Everything I know about life, I've learned from dying MGS bosses!

Unison

I'm not complaining... It's definitely part of the charm.

I wonder if there will be a "Pontificate" card that you can play in Metal Gear Solid AC!D.... :D

mumu

Mrbob said:
I'm starting to think even scores like 9.6 may be too low for this game.
I'd like you to know that out of 100 possible scores a 9.6 is almost the best score they can give, in fact there are only 4 better scores (out of 100) that they can give a game: 9.7, 9.8, 9.9, 10! Just FYI, i think you should know.

Socreges

Banned
AniHawk said:
1998 is dead.

Long live 2004.
2004 has a better lineup as far as quality is concerned, but it's so freaking familiar. 1998 didn't necessarily see many new franchises, but it saw old franchises in completely new ways.

2004 still wins.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Wow, great review. And I'm glad to read that the new systems aren't as obtrusive as some have made them sound.

Top Bottom