• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN reviews ATV Offroad Fury 3

acklame

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/561/561116p2.html

Closing Comments
Offroad Fury 3 is an extremely well done, but narrowly appealing racing title. It's a very specific kind of game that will appeal to a very specific kind of gamer. To that person, please look no further. The buck has stopped. For everyone else expecting something that is not Offroad Fury simply because it is not being done by Rainbow anymore, you are out of luck.

If you're looking for a natural extension of the series, you've found it. Buy ATV 3 and be happy.

-- Ivan Sulic

9.0 Presentation
The additions of real riders, real tracks, and some other brands are the only things preventing this one from being the best it can be.
8.5 Graphics
Expecting Burnout 3 will lead to disaster, but ATV 3 is a clean performer that's considerably more detailed than the previous two.
7.0 Sound
Similar to ATV the second, Offroad Fury 3 sports an odd jumble of licensed artists, but this time it's a just a bit more appropriate (a bit). Still, why the hell is Coheed and Cambria in an ATV game?
9.0 Gameplay
Tighter mini-games, a smoother ride, and even more solid online play make this ATV a definite player.
10 Lasting Appeal
We have a waypoint editor, plenty of modes, lots of tracks, robust online play, a ton of personalization, and the promise of downloadable content... NICE.
OVERALL:
(out of 10 / not an average)

Andy787

Banned
Wow, so Climax pulled it off, then? Hmm, wonder if this is going to be a huge hit like the first two, I didn't even realize it was coming out this holiday season. I'll probably pick it up next year for $10 :p

9.2? Crazy. In Europe an ATV game would never score anything close to this and they all bomb, while I heared Sony's ATV does very good in the US for some reason. Can anybody explain?

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
Guns N' Poops said:
9.2? Crazy. In Europe an ATV game would never score anything close to this and they all bomb, while I heared Sony's ATV does very good in the US for some reason. Can anybody explain?
I'll do it once you explain why rally games are so popular in Europe.

fennec fox said:
I'll do it once you explain why rally games are so popular in Europe.

Well, there are WRC races on TV pretty much every week all over Europe. But I never get the expression it is that popular. F1, now that seems to be 100x bigger than WRC in Italy, Spain, France, Germany, Austria and Swiss, Monaco. WRC might be big in UK and Scandinavia, I guess.

Sounds like after royally screwing up last time, they've really got an excellent online component this time:

It's hard to comment on the stability and performance of the network at this point, given that the bulk of the players ready to buy-in to ATV don't even have that option yet, but everything we have played has thus far been smooth and lag-free, but still somewhat dependent on the connections of those we played with. Regardless of that, the amount of presentational consideration that has been applied to Fury is nothing short of astounding for a console title. We have a game that supports the headset, incorporates message boards, chat rooms, instant messaging, and even boasts a functional stat tracker and clan-based play. It's the complete package. As if that weren't enough, Sony and Climax promise full hard drive support that doesn't stop at the enduro tracks players can set their own waypoints on. They imply that anything from new parts to new ATVs to new tracks to new riders are all coming down the pipe. With all of that, ATV 3 will keep its fan base happy for a very, very long time.

Meier

Snore. I didnt even know this game was coming out this year and I honestly cant imagine why anyone on GAF would care about it. Sure, it might be fun.. but buying it new in this overcrowded game climate seems silly to me.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
It's interesting... I probably would have considered giving this a rental had their not been such a strong off-road portion in San Andreas.

Maybe after a price drop with the rest of the gaming public.

Meier said:
Snore. I didnt even know this game was coming out this year and I honestly cant imagine why anyone on GAF would care about it. Sure, it might be fun.. but buying it new in this overcrowded game climate seems silly to me.

Because Climax is your f*cking Daddy, that's why. I saw this review at IGN, read it, and bam, I'm drooling.

I've been desperately hoping for an online racer that actually appeals to me (For ANY platform), and with GT4 axing it, Forza at 30FPS, and Sega giving us only 1 online arcade racer this generation - the moronic Outrun 2, I'd given up hope of seeing anything till next fall (Can you say Moto GP3 for Xenon?) But this is the impedus I thought GT4 was gonna be... it's gonna get me off the fence to repurchase a PS2. I'll probably pick it up tomorrow and head to ToysRUs for some budget games (And full price games if I can find something to go with Ace Combat 4 and Hot Shots Golf Fore).

Climax racers rule!

Edit: By tomorrow I mean the PS2. I realize the review says Nov. 2 for the game.

Catalyst

Banned
7.0 Sound
Similar to ATV the second, Offroad Fury 3 sports an odd jumble of licensed artists, but this time it's a just a bit more appropriate (a bit). Still, why the hell is Coheed and Cambria in an ATV game?
Because they fucking rock, that's why. Here's hoping for "A Favor House Atlantic."

Axsider

Banned
ravingloon said:
Because Climax is your f*cking Daddy, that's why. I saw this review at IGN, read it, and bam, I'm drooling.

I've been desperately hoping for an online racer that actually appeals to me (For ANY platform), and with GT4 axing it, Forza at 30FPS, and Sega giving us only 1 online arcade racer this generation - the moronic Outrun 2, I'd given up hope of seeing anything till next fall (Can you say Moto GP3 for Xenon?) But this is the impedus I thought GT4 was gonna be... it's gonna get me off the fence to repurchase a PS2. I'll probably pick it up tomorrow and head to ToysRUs for some budget games (And full price games if I can find something to go with Ace Combat 4 and Hot Shots Golf Fore).

Climax racers rule!

Edit: By tomorrow I mean the PS2. I realize the review says Nov. 2 for the game.
Can't wait! I need ATV Offroad Fury 3 NOW!!

PS2 KID

Most of GAF couldn't care about a ATV game but that didn't stop ATV 1 & 2 from being million sellers. This should also sell a million. It sneaks under the radar here but elsewhere it's a big hit.

Let me amend my enthusiasm. Having watched some of the 640*480 videos after posting my earlier comments, either IGN really screwed up the videos with some weird compression, or the graphics are god awful fugly.

Top Bottom