• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGNcube: Most of Mikami rumors are untrue

snapty00

Banned
http://cube.ign.com/mail.html

Talked to a representative from Capcom USA about this yesterday, who denied reports that 1) Mikami was fired from Capcom and that 2) he will never be allowed to direct another Capcom game. "Why would we ever do that?" the rep asked me. The US subsidiary did confirm that Mikami is working at Clover Studios and has been since the branch was formed. Clover is owned by Capcom.

Sounds like he and Capcom aren't nearly in the dire circumstances some people made them out to be.

snapty00

Banned
Firest0rm said:
Wtf? Where did those two rumors come from? Only thing thats been going around is the news of him and a few other developers being pissed at management.
Read the boards that you came from, IGN boy. :) Hell, if you only read the IGNcube boards, you'd be convinced that Mikami had sailed on to Nintendo now!

cvxfreak

Of course Capcom USA will paint a rosy picture for Capcom. We should wait until Mikami goes public again for a real explanation (hell we know how truthful Capcom is!).

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
aw, and the nintendo crowd already had him installed in nintendo's tokyo offices -- along, variously, with all of clover studios and hideo kojima -- developing REVOLUTIONARY MATURE NINTENDO GAMES. i'm sure he'll be gutted when they tell him to move back out.

drohne

the rumors currently swirling around are simply the product of nintendo fans projecting their anguish over the re4 port onto capcom and mikami. i doubt this will produce any demotions, resignations, or REVOLUTIONARY MATURE NINTENDO GAMES.

Bebpo

Banned
Am I the only one who reads "Most of Mikami rumors are untrue" as "confirmation that some of Mikami rumors are true" =p

drohne

i think we should take this as confirmation of every rumor they didn't explicitly deny. the psp costs $500 to manufacture, hideo kojima is currently developing Mario Teaches Postmodernism, and luigi is in fact gay.

Bebpo

Banned
drohne said:
i think we should take this as confirmation of every rumor they didn't explicitly deny. the psp costs $500 to manufacture, hideo kojima is currently developing Mario Teaches Postmodernism, and luigi is in fact gay.

bah, you have to spoil all the fun ;.;

Jonnyram

drohne said:
I don't know if it's your intention, but probably two of them are true anyway :lol

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Bebpo said:
bah, you have to spoil all the fun ;.;

But that's what he does best.

A thread without Drohne's creepy, obsessive vitriol when it comes to Nintnedo fans and "mature offerings" on the Gamecube, just wouldn't be worth reading.

WarPig

Jonnyram said:
I don't know if it's your intention, but probably two of them are true anyway :lol

No, the PSP only costs $450 to manufacture, unless the dollar drops some more.

This whole imbroglio is fucking fascinating, anyhow. Capcom founds a whole separate subsidiary just to give guys like Mikami some autonomy and keep them happy...so this gets spun into "yup, Mikami's quitting any day now."

I also wanna know why Mikami is such hot shit either way, since he can't seem to ship a game to save his life nowadays. Not to mention the last game with his name on it was PN fucking 03.

DFS.

snapty00

Banned
WarPig said:
I also wanna know why Mikami is such hot shit either way, since he can't seem to ship a game to save his life nowadays. Not to mention the last game with his name on it was PN fucking 03.

DFS.
Who knows. I'm not even a Resident Evil fan, really.

drohne

Jonnyram said:
I don't know if it's your intention, but probably two of them are true anyway

i hope you're referring to "mario teaches postmodernism."

(start codec transcript)
princess peach: bowser only kidnaps me to sublimate the sexual traumas of his childhood! stomping on koopas is an implicit endorsement of bourgeois values! and in fact you're not stomping koopas at all; you're elaborately simulating the stomping of koopas! and in fact the simulation is only an allegory for the repression of game developers by clueless middle management! i need scissors! 61!

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
WarPig said:

DFS.

Is Mikami not allowed that misdemeanor? I certainly didn't enjoy PN03, but I think the direction he's taken RE4 was pretty bold and seems to have worked out quite well.

Are you not a fan of his earlier work either?

drohne

Goreomedy said:
But that's what he does best.

A thread without Drohne's creepy, obsessive vitriol when it comes to Nintnedo fans and "mature offerings" on the Gamecube, just wouldn't be worth reading.

if fevered nintendocentric speculation is your idea of fun, then by comparison i'm hardly creepy or obsessive at all!

WarPig

Goreomedy said:
Is Mikami not allowed that misdemeanor? I certainly didn't enjoy PN03, but I think the direction he's taken RE4 was pretty bold and seems to have worked out quite well.

Are you not a fan of his earlier work either?

Since we should probably chalk up the moderate success of the first Devil May Cry to Kamiya, then I'd say Mikami's last passable game was Resident Evil 3 five years ago.

Resident Evil 4...I dunno. I don't get the love for what they've shown so far, especially after a three-year-plus dev cycle. I've played the demo, and it feels like the same old shit to me -- looks real pretty, controls like a truck stuck in first gear. It has the best head explosions ever, but I'd rather watch 'em over somebody else's shoulder.

DFS.

WarPig said:
Since we should probably chalk up the moderate success of the first Devil May Cry to Kamiya, then I'd say Mikami's last passable game was Resident Evil 3 five years ago.

Resident Evil 4...I dunno. I don't get the love for what they've shown so far, especially after a three-year-plus dev cycle. I've played the demo, and it feels like the same old shit to me -- looks real pretty, controls like a truck stuck in first gear. It has the best head explosions ever, but I'd rather watch 'em over somebody else's shoulder.

DFS.

but the reason why DMC even existed was because they were trying for a NEW RE. And it didn't work but spawned DMC. As for Re4 (the current game we have is the 4th iteration as they've stated) - so it took a while to get right. I do geniunely believe that they wanted to start something fresh - something that didn't involve zombies and umbrella. For capcom, RE4 is a serious departure from their endless sequels and a good sign of things to come (maybe).

For mikami to try this hard.. you gotta give the guys at Capcom some credit. I hope the game does wonderful number. It bloody should.

Saki

Banned
Bebpo said:
Am I the only one who reads "Most of Mikami rumors are untrue" as "confirmation that some of Mikami rumors are true" =p
Nope, not alone :)

Capcom USA don't know squat.

The truth is most likely more serious than the PR spin Capcom of America puts on it, but not quite as outrageous as internet chatter.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
The Faceless Master said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

LIES, DAMN LIES!
Hahaha I'd hate to see the reaction towards Master Chief being a hermaphrodite under that sleek green uniform.

cvxfreak

soundwave05 said:
The truth is most likely more serious than the PR spin Capcom of America puts on it, but not quite as outrageous as internet chatter.

Yeah, that's how I think it's really going.

Today, I couldn't resist and plopped down 30 on Capcom Fighting Evolution despite all the cries of garbage I've heard in regards to this game.. Trouble is not the word to describe times at old Capcom, as I throw on my sneakers to venture back to EB and ask my buddy to give me my 30 bucks back.

I haven't returned a game in years. Playing this one for 20 minutes just made me feel ashamed, as well as sad for Capcom.

I'm thinking of sending my 30 bucks directly to them in hopes to spark creativity.

drohne said:
REVOLUTIONARY MATURE NINTENDO GAMES.
:lol :lol :lol
Bebpo said:
:lol No I did the same.

I am very intrigued by Clover Studios, and whether or not they have any projects under way. It will be good to see Capcom's resources go into something other than rehashes.

Top Bottom