• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm a GC user and i don't own Super Monkey Ball!!!!!!!!!

axxxj

Animator in Waiting
Okay with that confession out of the way i'm gonna be picking it up for cheap from somewhere but which version should i get 1 or 2.

Come on GAF make me proud i need to make a decision.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Welcome to the club. (I guess not for long, though)

I've never been impressed by this game at all.

That out of the way, the general consensus is that you get 1 if you plan on playing it solo primarily (for better level design), and 2 if you're using more of the MP games.

axxxj

Animator in Waiting
i have heard some mixed feelings over the single player mode in 2 but even if i get 1 will the multiplayer aspect still be a good laugh???

Kuramu

dog$ said:
Welcome to the club. (I guess not for long, though)

I've never been impressed by this game at all.

That out of the way, the general consensus is that you get 1 if you plan on playing it solo primarily (for better level design), and 2 if you're using more of the MP games.

SMB1 was the best multiplayer game this gen imo. SMB2 has the crappy version of Monkey Target

BUY 1, Play Monkey Target. Be happy

Am I the only one getting really sick of "Should I get X or Y?" threads, where X and Y are both completely awesome/essential games that cost a measly $20 apiece? Seriously. Enough is enough.

Odysseus

Banned
I've had a GameCube since the midnight launch at the local Wal-Mart, and I've never had the urge to play and/or buy Super Monkey Ball.

Don't conform. ]:)

Odysseus said:
I've had a GameCube since the midnight launch at the local Wal-Mart, and I've never had the urge to play and/or buy Super Monkey Ball.

Don't conform. ]:)

Yes. Because the masses are playing SMB in mass. SMB 1 is legendary. The 1st time I cleared Expert 7 was my greatest gaming moment of this generation. I remember after getting the hang of the hump, my hands would still get sweaty negotiating the curves at the end. Once I even yelled at my hands to "Knock it off" because they were getting shaky (When I was still trying to complete the level for the 1st time). Realizing what I'd just done, I had to laugh, because I'm usually stone cold when playing games, even in the most frantic online matches.

Ristamar

I never got SMB or SMB 2. I wasn't sure if I should pick up the first game or the sequel, so my indecision has left me empty handed.

Drexon

Banned
Welcome to GA, Gamecube users Anonymous.

Hi, my name is Drexon. <Hi, Drexon!> I haven't used GC in 4 weeks now. <clapping>

DCX

DCX
Monkey Ball OWNS yawll!!! Get both, 1Player is like a glorified Labyrinth type game or Marble Madness but it rocks, and multiplayer just is amazing.

DCX

DCX

DCX
Nintendo needs to bring back the Seal of Approval but not for games for fans, you NEED to own these games to stay a member of the Cube Club :)

DCX

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Monkey Ball is awesome. *insert random fanboy comment about how not owning the Monkey Ball games is like missing out on 40% of what the gamecube has to offer*

My local TRU has copies of SMB1 for $19.99 CAD. Fellow Canadians might want to keep an eye out for that. Game doesn't look too appealing to me, but it seems to get a lot of love around here for some reason.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I'm a launch day GCN owner without Super Monkey Ball. And happy about that.

Stupid games.

FightyF

Banned
Buy it now. It's one of the GC's best games.

I had a lot of regret buying the GC at launch, but this game kept me from getting a refund.

BeOnEdge

Banned
monkey target is worthless in part 2. they need to take it back to part 1s turn based play for 3 or even just give the option to choose.

AniHawk

Monkey Target was so much better in part two. I guess having the option to go back to 1's mode would have been nice, but if you own both, there's no problem.

Despite the mixed opinions on Monkey Target, 2 offers more multiplayer games and new modes to play the main game in multiplayer. All the games from 1 are back and mostly improved (again, mix in opinions on turns vs simultaneous in Monkey Target). Most of the games offer everything in 2 that they did in 1 but have more variety. A few of the new games in 2 are good as well. 2 is also more forgiving than 1 in single player mode (whcih can be good or bad) but has more challenging (some say cheaper) levels. however, 2 has the addition of the single most inane story I have seen this generation.

AniHawk

Diomedeskun said:
Despite the mixed opinions on Monkey Target, 2 offers more multiplayer games and new modes to play the main game in multiplayer. All the games from 1 are back and mostly improved (again, mix in opinions on turns vs simultaneous in Monkey Target). Most of the games offer everything in 2 that they did in 1 but have more variety. A few of the new games in 2 are good as well. 2 is also more forgiving than 1 in single player mode (whcih can be good or bad) but has more challenging (some say cheaper) levels. however, 2 has the addition of the single most inane story I have seen this generation.

You don't like DR. BAD BOON!?!

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
kill yourself.

and everyone who thinks they are cool by resisting monkeyball is just kidding themselves. at least try it haters, if at that point you don't like it then you don't.

Hellraizah

The Main Event said:
Got it once but traded it soon after. One of my friends have it though, and the multiplayer is a blast.
Yeah, now I got part 1 and 2. One of the best multiplayer game ever. Hope its release on Xbox is true (Xbox Live).

Grubdog

Banned
I would like Super Monkey Ball 2s single player mode better if it didn't rely so much on silly button pressing/luck/puzzles as much as pure skill, like the original does. But as they are, the original Super Monkey Ball is the superior single player game, but I still really like SMB2s single player.

Speaking of which, where the hell is Super Monkey Ball 3? :(

SA-X

Yeah, I'm a launch day Cube owner who doesn't have Monkey Ball 1/2 as well. But that's only cause my friend has both and I played multiplayer all the time at his house. If you've never played it you should really give it a chance.

Edit: Oh and SMB2 > SMB1. Single player be damned!

axxxj

Animator in Waiting
I think i'll hunt down 1 and go from their as i gave the single player in 1 a qiuck go and it was very addictive.

Top Bottom