• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm actually considering picking up an Xbox -- Refurbished or Reconditioned?

Which one would you recommend, or should I just bite it and buy a new one?

Either way I'm going to have to set aside a few bucks for a while before I get one, if I do.

Yes, I'm probably only buying it for Halo.

EDIT: Hm, I notice Gamestop has a preowned Halo bundle for $119.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I've had 4 Xboxen. 2 used, a refurb and a new.
I still have the new.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I'm getting a Xbox soon too, but it sure ain't gonna be refurbished or used :p

I gots 30 days left to claim this Xbox Live subscription...can't let it go to waste

mightynine said:
Which one would you recommend, or should I just bite it and buy a new one?

Either way I'm going to have to set aside a few bucks for a while before I get one, if I do.

Yes, I'm probably only buying it for Halo.

I'm pretty much in the same boat. We should have bought it when EB was having a sale a couple of weeks ago and they sold used for $99 (and saved $50 vs $30)

Now, a used is $119 and you're pretty much got to get a warranty which is like $12 or so for only 6 months. Given that you might get an almost 3 year old launch Xbox with a Thompson drive, it seems like too much of a risk.

I'm leaning wayyy towards a new one.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Yeah I might get one before this November as well, but it's going to be used or refurbished mainly because i'll only be playing 2 or 3 games on it.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
The short of the long is wait for this years Christmas bundle.

RevenantKioku said:
The short of the long is wait for this years Christmas bundle.

Sounds like a good idea. I've got plenty of games to tide me over, but I do eventually want to play Halo 2, Fable, & maybe Rainbow Six:Black Arrow.

Maybe you should buy used. See if the manager at the store can check to see if youre getting the SamSung drive or not. Thats probably the one benefit of getting a used Xbox. I doubt they'll rip open a new one and see which drive youre getting. My friend went thriough this situation a few weeks back. He went with a new unit,unfortunately he didn't get the Sam Sung drive.

And by all means,buy a protection plan,even if in the beginning you feel you don't need it,in the long run you'll still have peace of mind in knowing that you won't be left up a river if the worst should happen.

I should probably hold on for a new one, since you know there will probably be some Halo bundle anyways around the holidays.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Buy the one that comes back from MS.. not the ones that are just traded in and "checked" at the store... that's how I picked mine up and I haven't had one ounce of problem from it.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
The world is becoming totally Xbox, one gamer at a time. Maybe that one thread starter that said Microsoft would soon turn the tables and catch up to Sony this gen was on to something...

So, what are the odds that their will be a Halo 2 Bundle, (ala the GT3 Bundle / Halo LE Bundle)?

1) Clearly M$ knows that this game will itself sell systems, so why not sweeten the pot for those on the fence?

2) They also apparently don't have a problem bundling an M-Rated game, since they've already done it with the first Halo

3) Talk about getting a large percentage of new users on LIVE? Give people a 2-month LIVE account already set up for Halo 2 out of the box (probably no headset) and watch the LIVE subscriptions grow.

open_mouth_ said:
The world is becoming totally Xbox, one gamer at a time. Maybe that one thread starter that said Microsoft would soon turn the tables and catch up to Sony this gen was on to something...

In all honesty, I don't need another bloody game system, considering I have a GameCube, Playstation 2, Dreamcast, Nintendo 64, SNES, and Nintendo all hooked up to the same TV.

But dammit, I like gadgets and widgets and whatnot. And I'm not usually a first person shooter kind of guy, but playing a bit of Doom III the other day is causing an itch that I may need to scratch.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Didn't know I missed this thread.

I'm chipping another XBOX soon and was thinking about the cheapest way to get one, and have my pick in terms of what version v1.0 - 1.6.

I don't want a Samsung drive as it hates DVD+R discs. I have a modded Thomson drive and it plays everything I throw at it. So it's either that or a Philips.

Top Bottom