• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm Buying a PS4 - Should I Go For Pro?

#Phonepunk#

Banned
EDIT: So I ended up going with a Pro model and i love! Feel free to continue posting but just FYI.

So I'm buying a PS4, mostly to play Death Stranding and Final Fantasy VII Remake, as well as Bloodborne.

What I don't know is whether or not I should get a Pro model or not. Is it worth it? I won't be gaming in 4K at all, and framerate isn't a huge concern for me.

I hear Bloodborne plays a little better with Boost Mode but not like a light and day difference. Then again I can afford a Pro so I'm tempted to go with the latest/greatest. What do you all think?

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
The FF7 remake will be close enough to the holidays I would say wait for the next console release. I do understand the want to play some of their current exclusives though. I have a PS4 in my bedroom and a Pro in the front room....never use my PS4.....if you are going to snag one I vote snag the pro.

Micolash

Neo Member
If you are only going to play three games and don't care about performance then I don't see the point. There are other good PS4 full/console exclusives that you should check out as well.

Pejo

IMO you should never buy the lesser model of electronics. Just wait an extra week/paycheck/month and get the higher end one. Especially in things that aren't able to be upgraded.

Kabelly

Just get the pro if you can. As someone with a base PS4 the performance for a lot of games just seems to be dwindling as the gen is heading out. Obviously waiting for a PS5 would be the most optimal to get the best experience but since you don't want to wait get the pro.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I've considered trading my ps4 in and getting a pro, particularly for Death Stranding but I can't bring myself to do it. If you don't have a PS4 at all and you just have to buy one...maybe it might be worth it to pick up a pro. There's an option of trading up. Gamestop usually has good extra value trading in when you buy the next gen system from them. Overall you're going to take a financial hit if you plan on getting Xbox Scarlett or PS5. If money is no object, then yea definitely do it.

In terms of what seems to be important to you OP...I wouldn't do it. There may be some games with better textures but largely PS4 Pro enhancements seem to be more on the resolution end of things and boost mode. If you aren't playing in 4k at all and don't care about framerate increases then I can't justify spending $400 and not get the most out of the system.

DonF

Get the pro, its worth it even for 1080p gaming. Boost mode is great. Lots of games have the option for better res or frame rate. It performs better. If you have the money, get the pro.

MMaRsu

I wouldnt buy a PS4 for those games. I love Kojima's games but we have no idea if Death Stranding will be good.

Ff7 Remake is just one part of a long long series of "remake" chapters. You will not get a full game, you will get a small part of the original story. I wouldn't reward that kind of consumer bullshitting, and we also have no idea if it will be good.

Bloodborne is one of the best games of the generation, yet is it worth it to get a pro since the game never even got a pro patch?

In my opinion, you would be so much better off buying a PS4 when the PS5 is in stores, or shortly before that. People and stores will be trying to get rid of their old consoles, giving you the option to purchase a whole stack of games with your ps4 for a miniscule amount of money.

So yes buy a ps4, but wait a year :)

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Yes. Pro is not really worthy if you already have a PS4, but since you don't have one, go Pro. And search for the newest version because older versions are loud

Also, don't expect much from it to compare with your base console buds. It's a improvement, but just a few steps

Jigsaah

Gold Member
is there a game that really uses the Pro functionality especially well?
I'm not 100% on this but I believe Horizon Zero Dawn really made good use of the pro. Fortnite is a well optimized game which also takes advantage of the enhancements. Dark Souls 3 I believe got a Pro patch, where as the X did not. God of War is much better on the Pro from what I gather. I think that's all I can think of offhand.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
what is the trade in policy? any good deals i could get on a PS5? i know places like Gamestop don't offer that much for used consoles, so unless it's like hundreds of dollars imma pass and stick w a Pro.

Horizon Zero Dawn always looked really cool, I'll have to check that out. God of War too, that looked amazing. it's not too gorey is it? LOL i know that is probably a stupid question to ask but the really brutal stuff is why I always skipped on the series in the past. this one just looks so damn good tho. the high mythology fantasy setting is so my jam too.

Trogdor1123

Well, I've said this before but why not wait for the ps5? It will play the ps4 games and will probably play stem way better. Given how close they are ( 1 year) it makes more sense to me.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
I would not! With the PS5 on the corner, you might prefer a cheap second hand slim or regular PS4. The difference between Pro and standard are good enough but not enough to justify what's left of its life cycle. You'll enjoy games just fine and save money.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I'd buy a second hand standard PS4 and save the rest towards the PS5. If you're not desperate to buy a PS4, wait until the PS5 is released with full BC.

Astral Dog

Im happy with the Slim and i dont think whatever improvments are worth for those 3 games, especially Bloodborne wich isn't even properly updated for the Pro

buy cheap Slim get PS5 later

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
The Ps5 will have backwards comp. Can't you wait? If not get the pro BUT make sure it is the newer version.

Humdinger

Yeah, absolutely. As others have pointed out, you'll get better-looking versions of PS4 exclusives and many other games, as compared to the standard version. I own a Pro and think it has been well worth it.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yes, of course. Don't give it a second thought. Months from now you'll never, ever miss the difference in money but regret is forever.
716535.jpg

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I think you should, even if you don't play on 4KTV, some games will have better performance in Pro version. We might get option to get performance mode in games like FFVIIR or Death Stranding like we did with God of War.

Fbh

Sure. I upgraded from an OG to a pro and have to say I found the difference to be rather underwhelming, but if you don't own a Ps4 already it might be worth it to got for one, specially if you can find a good deal (maybe wait for black friday?).

magnumpy

I personally am getting a PS5. but that's not available yet, so as others have said you could always go for a pro. or save the ~$100 and just get a regular. decisions decisions...

scalman

go4pro. and until ps5 comes out you could play t ons and tons games on it and be blown how good they would be . why wait ? no wait, by used console and enjoy ..

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
what is the trade in policy? any good deals i could get on a PS5? i know places like Gamestop don't offer that much for used consoles, so unless it's like hundreds of dollars imma pass and stick w a Pro.

Horizon Zero Dawn always looked really cool, I'll have to check that out. God of War too, that looked amazing. it's not too gorey is it? LOL i know that is probably a stupid question to ask but the really brutal stuff is why I always skipped on the series in the past. this one just looks so damn good tho. the high mythology fantasy setting is so my jam too.
Well it's too soon to tell, but gamestop understands it's got a leg up on places like Best Buy and other department stores and online venues like amazon in that you can trade your old system in. Console sales and subsequent early adopter game purchases are the bread and butter of Gamestop and will ultimately determine how long they will exist...to be quite honest. I'd expect some pretty juicy deals from them.

Shifty1897

So I'm buying a PS4, mostly to play Death Stranding and Final Fantasy VII Remake, as well as Bloodborne.

What I don't know is whether or not I should get a Pro model or not. Is it worth it? I won't be gaming in 4K at all, and framerate isn't a huge concern for me.

I hear Bloodborne plays a little better with Boost Mode but not like a light and day difference. Then again I can afford a Pro so I'm tempted to go with the latest/greatest. What do you all think?

If you're not going to wait for the PS5, get a Pro. I know you say frame rate isn't an issue to you, but let me tell ya, try playing Control on a base PS4 and when it dives into single digit frames per second you'll be regretting your decision. It wouldn't surprise me to see pretty much every AAA game going forward run like garbage on a base PS4.

scalman

more then year ... so if you dont care for games much then sure wait... i wouldnt wait . just get that cheap ps4 console and play games. i think ps4 pro on supersampling realy does that magic on 1080p where you get super clean super AA picture no jagies lines no nothing just pure smooth picture ... and stable fps too. ps4 can strugle to keep 30fps , Pro model will help you with that too.

Last edited:
You waited this long, you can't wait one year for 5? Anyway i would get pro for slightly better performance (most of the time). Also put horizon zd on your list.

Top Bottom