• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm Buying a PS4 - Should I Go For Pro?

#Phonepunk#

Banned
why not wait for the ps5?
You waited this long, you can't wait one year for 5?
i was never waiting, is the thing. i just want to buy one now because a game i want comes out soon and another game soon after that. if i wanted to wait then i might as well wait for DS and FVII to both hit the PC in a year or two. plus PC doesn't play Bloodborne (natively, I have played through it on PSNow and I crave the real thing!)

thanks for all the responses! i ended up getting a PS4 Pro for around $280.

Blade2.0

Like people have said I'd wait for at least the announcement of PS5 to make sure if it's BC or not (it should be). Then get that one. But if you can't wait, PS4 Pro all the way. You only gain features and performance and lose nothing by getting it. And PS5 backports will most likely run better on a pro than a base model PS4. There really no reason not to do it, TBH.

Edit: just saw you got the pro. Good decision. Now get PSVR 😋

Edit 2: you got so much good shit to play now besides those two titles. Horizon, god of war, Spider-Man, the last guardian, gravity Rush 1 and 2, GT Sport, KH III. Shit, the list of great exclusives just goes on and on.

Last edited:

magnumpy

towards the end of a consoles life cycle is in a way the ideal time to buy. plenty of late generation well developed games. PS5 is tempting but it will be ~2 to 3 years until it hit's it's stride. exciting times that's for sure! the changing from one generation into the next is always interesting ._.

Phase

It doesn’t sound like it would be worth it based on what you wrote. You can probably find a better deal on a regular ps4.
I would say this. I bought a new slim last christmas with the deals that were on. It's been great and since I still play only 1080p it's sufficient.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
So I'm buying a PS4, mostly to play Death Stranding and Final Fantasy VII Remake, as well as Bloodborne.

What I don't know is whether or not I should get a Pro model or not. Is it worth it? I won't be gaming in 4K at all, and framerate isn't a huge concern for me.

I hear Bloodborne plays a little better with Boost Mode but not like a light and day difference. Then again I can afford a Pro so I'm tempted to go with the latest/greatest. What do you all think?

PS5 is still a year plus out, I'd just get the pro as you'd have a whole year of some great 4K gaming. If money is an issue, just trade it up for the PS5 at launch since it will be BC anyway.

Semi OT but I have zero plans to trade in ANY of my PS4's for PS5 lolz

Gargus

Banned
Ps4 pro isn't just for 4k displays.

If your tv has HDR then you still get that benefit even if it isn't 4k.

Pro also can have things like extra ground clutter and added in details like wind blowing grass around, improved framerates, etc. Where even though it isn't on a 4k display it can still have benefits to the game.

Whether it's worth it to you is purely up to you. I like my pro a lot but I also have a 4k Samsung tv with hdr and I like it a lot. It doesn't make the games like a whole new game but i can definitely see a noticeable improvement.

My stepson had spiderman and when he was done i played it and i tried it on the 1080p tv he has on his regular ps4 and tried my pro on it. The game ran smoother and i saw more background effects on the pro. So it had little touches that were improvements, but it was like glaringly better.

I'm sure you already know by now but slap a solid state drive in whichever one you pick up.

In the end i say if you can comfortably afford to pros additional price then go for it. And if you ever upgrade to a ps5 then at least having a pro will add a little extra value should you sell or trade it for one.

Just get the PS4 Pro unless you find a regular PS4 dirt cheap. The Pro gives better performance generally even with a 1080p tv in some cases. I have no regrets especially if you eventually decide get a decent 4k tv.

Last edited:
i was never waiting, is the thing. i just want to buy one now because a game i want comes out soon and another game soon after that. if i wanted to wait then i might as well wait for DS and FVII to both hit the PC in a year or two. plus PC doesn't play Bloodborne (natively, I have played through it on PSNow and I crave the real thing!)

Nice. Good price.

TLZ

Banned

How are you finding it?

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
My advice not just for this, but for any technology: if you can afford it, get the best version. It's better to have it and not use it, than not have it and wish you did when you want to use the extra features/specs, but can't.

LOLCats

Banned
Youre not waiting for black friday? I gotta imagine they'll have some discounts. My pro was 325$ out the door a couple holidays ago.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Just remembered there is DLC for Bloodborne! Remembering this made my day cos I only played thru the vanilla release.

Good deals used on Amazon.
Well that's good, but, I meant what do you think of it :messenger_tongue:

Did you get the quieter version? The 72xx series?

Romulus

If you must get a ps4 now, neither is a bad choice. I've found pro psvr games to see more improvements than 4k games.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
If you're hell bent on not waiting for the PS5, then get the pro. Games are pushing the limits of the base consoles and thing's are not all that rosy.

Last edited:

vkbest

So I'm buying a PS4, mostly to play Death Stranding and Final Fantasy VII Remake, as well as Bloodborne.

What I don't know is whether or not I should get a Pro model or not. Is it worth it? I won't be gaming in 4K at all, and framerate isn't a huge concern for me.

I hear Bloodborne plays a little better with Boost Mode but not like a light and day difference. Then again I can afford a Pro so I'm tempted to go with the latest/greatest. What do you all think?

Pro, bloodborne frame pacing is horrible, but pretty better on Pro vs PS4.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Horizon still looks good. Days Gone isn't mind blowing, but it's fun.

God of War is probably the best game on the system and looks great on the Pro.

aw snap it just came in the mail!

booting it up to play some Bloodborne ASAP
Have fun with that game. One of the best game on PS4. Just remember you'll die often and it's totally normal.

Don't forget to enable boost mode in the PS4 settings to make unpatched games run more smoothly, depending of the game. You won't have problems on any games now, the rare games that had problems with it (usually small or indies games) have being patched.

By the way after Bloodborne + DLC (and after the release of Death Stranding) you should play God of War. That's a phenomenal game.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Just get a slim. The PS4 will be dead in 12 months anyway.
tenor.gif

Three

Ps4 pro isn't just for 4k displays.

If your tv has HDR then you still get that benefit even if it isn't 4k.
The base PS4 supports HDR too as far as I know. Sony tend to have good base console support.

Last edited:
Reactions: TLZ

#Phonepunk#

Banned
first year of a new console is usually slim pickings. also i don't want to wait a year to play i want to play now.

was about to start playing but figured i should initialize it first just to be sure. 1 hour to go...

i was almost worried i got a PS4 plain due to a lack of "Pro" on the UI. then i found the Boost Mode in settings. whew...

b0uncyfr0

Dont think its worth buying a base console now - only the Pro. And that's if it's at a really good price.

Just wait for the the PS5.

SebastianM

just get a second hand standard ps4, enjoy its latest run of exclusives come next year and move on, remember it is on its way out.

NeilH1982

Banned
If you can afford it always go for the best option. Don't leave yourself any reason te be left longing for the upgrade. Otherwise you might end up regretting and trading up anyway.

ANIMAL1975

No one reads the thread confirmed.

let us know your thoughts on pro and Bloodborne OP when you got the time 👍

• LOL
Reactions: TLZ
Top Bottom