• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm sick of "creating my own character". I want more games with genuinely likeable characters who actually matter to the story.

jcorb

This is very much a symptom of modern gaming, but I actually think that "creating your own character" is getting stale.

I'm certainly not suggesting it is inherently bad or anything.

However, I *do* think it winds up getting lumped in with some incredibly lazy practices and storytelling.

First off, "your character" doesn't exist. The developer explicitly cannot know your character or their motivations. "Choices" are given to hopefully give you an outlet to *broadly* apply to certain character themes, however you're simply never going to get the same level of detailed storytelling with a player-created character. Your character is never going to convey interesting quirks or personality flaws, because again, almost by definition, custom characters have to be built on broad-strokes.

It's also a super common trope, or even a crutch, to make NPC's effectively worship the ground your character walks on. After all, custom characters are an extension of the player, and you want the player to feel *cool*, right? But things can never get too personal, so again, it always winds up feeling a bit disingenuous.

And then visually, a lot of times you get into situations where to play as an interesting-looking character, you're asking the *player* to effectively serve as an artist.

Like, bro; I didn't go to school to be an artist. I literally don't give a shit to become an artist. That's *your* job. How many people remember running around in Oblivious, or any one of the Souls games, with some alien-looking motherfucker?

In my view, custom characters are sort of like loot systems:

In games that fully commit to them, they can be great!

But not every game *needs* to have a loot system, or custom characters.

In fact, a lot of games do themselves a huge disservice by trying to shoehorn those elements in, rather than evaluating the experience they want the player to have earnestly and catering to that.

But in any case, I think it just winds up making games worse a lot of the time.

End rant.

Astral Dog

I agree, but i don't see this trend slowing down, its a tool to make the protagonist be whatever the player wants and give options ,without writting any meaningful dialogue or personality

I prefer when the protagonist is unique, even if he is only a random dude with stereotypical backstory, most times i find them likeable over a random,souless avatar

Sokka

I agree with you.

Custom characters must give storytellers a headache.

I don't really see the upside of custom characters, I know people like to roleplay with them since they give more freedom with that.

For me, I find it hard to roleplay even if I make a custom character due to how devs have to make them as blank as possible. I find that hard to roleplay with.

I'll take Geralt over Bethesda-Born all day. Then again, Bethesda has dropped the ball on their narrative for a while now so it's not really a fair comparison.

Reactions: Isa

Naked Lunch

Always hated custom characters - for most of the reasons you listed.

Also hate all the custom dress up or DLC costumes on fighting games.
Shit looks ridiculous. Would rather have them look like the artists intended.
I dont even play many new fighting games because of that junk.

Major reasons why modern gaming is so lame.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Sounds nice, but it's 2024. So you'll either get annoying side buzz cut wankers, Dan Dare or whatever the fucks going on in Fable

8XaiOIp.jpeg

xnrwB2R.jpeg

nLno2tO.jpeg

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I like custom characters more often because I play games where it fits to have one. Monster Hunter or Elden Ring for example.

That said, I made a thread a while back that it’s been a long time since the industry had major lead characters that carry franchises. We need more Dantes, Solid Snakes, Ryu Hyabusas etc.

Lead male bad asses are a dying breed. We have more female and hell even black female leads in games before we even got basically any black, Hispanic, etc male leads.

I want a ninja gaiden game where as I play as an Irish ginger. That bloke can fight.

Mr.Phoenix

agreed... I dont know who told them I want to play like myself in a game.

It's a good way for studios to not have to write in a character though.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
You prolly wont find many that agree even on gaf, as most here love a silent custom protag. I personally dont. To me, Shepard or V are the best custom voiced characters in games, even better than most non-custom ones. The writing and voice actors are more important than how the character looks. I hated that my protag in BG3 didnt talk or in DAO or whatever else. Whats the point of making a sexy char and he's just silently dumb.

Nydius

I completely agree, and it's why I find games like Stellar Blade more memorable than a game like Starfield even though Starfield was significantly larger in scope. I felt a connection to Eve, Lily, and Adam as characters going on their journey to discover the truth. I never felt any connection to my "character" in Starfield.

I only mention Stellar Blade specifically because it's one of the more recent character driven single player games I've played. As others have rightfully pointed out, Shepard from Mass Effect and V from Cyberpunk are also quality standouts -- and both allowed us some degree of character customization.

Too many of these big open world RPGs just throw you into a character creator, give you a generic "chosen one" trope, then fail to make any meaningful connection to the character itself.

The only place I really go out of my way to create a video game character identical to myself is in MLB The Show, so I can pretend my nonathletic ass could actually play baseball.

Last edited:

RavageX

Some of yall are crazy. So I will never want less options for a character I am playing. They dont have to be mute, but if it isnt an established character like geralt, then I want to choose how they look.

I also like more choice in a game, story and path options, DETAILED options that do make a difference.

But yeah....less options of creativity makes no sense.

I do agree on certain other game mechanics though. Crafting and loot systems. I hate crafting every damn thing in a game UNLESS its a survival type and i dont play those.

Loot doesnt need to be pushed into everything either.

Last edited:
Not exactly custom characters, but I have a similar issue with self-insert protagonists.
I'm one of those people that when playing a self-insert "You are the protag" type of game, I immediately go on Google to search for their canon name.

Unsurprisingly, all of them have one.
Dragon Quest protagonists.
Persona protagonists.
So on.

And I name them their canon name, and roll my eyes at any dialogue that was meant to worship me the player for being so fucking cool.

Which is not something I have issues with, I love when old Final Fantasy games used to break the forth wall, and adress you, I love that stuff.
But it's characters, DIRECTLY talking to YOU. Not "you".

Also, this might be petty for some people, but when I was in High School, I didn't look like this:

2125678-yup4g.png

And I didn't have cool friends like Yukiko.
I was the ugly motherfucker getting beat up after school and having his lunch money stolen.

My point is, and again, this might be petty, I can't self-insert into someone that doesn't look like me, or didn't experience similar things as I did.

So I would much appreciate it, if Atlus made ACTUAL protagonists, with ACTUAL dialogue. With their own choices. Falling in love with who THEY want to.

Astray

This is very much a symptom of modern gaming, but I actually think that "creating your own character" is getting stale.

I'm certainly not suggesting it is inherently bad or anything.

However, I *do* think it winds up getting lumped in with some incredibly lazy practices and storytelling.

First off, "your character" doesn't exist. The developer explicitly cannot know your character or their motivations. "Choices" are given to hopefully give you an outlet to *broadly* apply to certain character themes, however you're simply never going to get the same level of detailed storytelling with a player-created character. Your character is never going to convey interesting quirks or personality flaws, because again, almost by definition, custom characters have to be built on broad-strokes.

It's also a super common trope, or even a crutch, to make NPC's effectively worship the ground your character walks on. After all, custom characters are an extension of the player, and you want the player to feel *cool*, right? But things can never get too personal, so again, it always winds up feeling a bit disingenuous.

And then visually, a lot of times you get into situations where to play as an interesting-looking character, you're asking the *player* to effectively serve as an artist.

Like, bro; I didn't go to school to be an artist. I literally don't give a shit to become an artist. That's *your* job. How many people remember running around in Oblivious, or any one of the Souls games, with some alien-looking motherfucker?

In my view, custom characters are sort of like loot systems:

In games that fully commit to them, they can be great!

But not every game *needs* to have a loot system, or custom characters.

In fact, a lot of games do themselves a huge disservice by trying to shoehorn those elements in, rather than evaluating the experience they want the player to have earnestly and catering to that.

But in any case, I think it just winds up making games worse a lot of the time.

End rant.
Fuck yes.

Any singleplayer game with a character creator is almost entirely a pass for me.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Wtf? Most of GAF loves Japanese games in particular.
Yeah most I assume avoid western gaming since it's filled with brainrot. If JP games follow suit the only recourse is the rare indie game or heading back to 2000's or Retro Gaming.

POKEYCLYDE

Some of the best games have characters that you can project yourself into. It's why Link or many player characters don't talk, it's why Master Chief doesn't take his helmet off and many player characters wear helmets (Samus was like this, Doom Guy, Shovel Knight).

A character creator is a step in the direction of allowing the player to immerse themself within the player character even more.

A well written character only serves the story. It doesn't serve player immersion. If you can write something amazing that is worth sacrificing player immersion for, good.. go for it.

But these boilerplate stories of save the princess, beat the bad guy, prevent the apocalypse, become the very best... these stories aren't served well by having a designed protagonist with their own personality. You only risk the player disliking the character they're playing.

Fbh

Gold Member
I agree with you on paper. I though that, for example, Geralt in Witcher 3 is way more memorable than most user created protagonists I've played as in other RPGs.
That said, the way character design is going in the industry (specially from most western devs) I'd rather keep the option to create my own characters instead of being forced into some Sweet Baby Inc approved design.

Not exactly custom characters, but I have a similar issue with self-insert protagonists.
I'm one of those people that when playing a self-insert "You are the protag" type of game, I immediately go on Google to search for their canon name.

Unsurprisingly, all of them have one.
Dragon Quest protagonists.
Persona protagonists.
So on.

And I name them their canon name, and roll my eyes at any dialogue that was meant to worship me the player for being so fucking cool.

Which is not something I have issues with, I love when old Final Fantasy games used to break the forth wall, and adress you, I love that stuff.
But it's characters, DIRECTLY talking to YOU. Not "you".

Also, this might be petty for some people, but when I was in High School, I didn't look like this:

2125678-yup4g.png

And I didn't have cool friends like Yukiko.
I was the ugly motherfucker getting beat up after school and having his lunch money stolen.

My point is, and again, this might be petty, I can't self-insert into someone that doesn't look like me, or didn't experience similar things as I did.

So I would much appreciate it, if Atlus made ACTUAL protagonists, with ACTUAL dialogue. With their own choices. Falling in love with who THEY want to.

Games like Persona and Dragon Quest have the worst type of character.
Pre defined look AND no personality.
Literally the worst of both worlds

Completely agreed.

Character creators are boring and add nothing. Witcher 3 is a near-perfect videogame and no one cares you can’t make someone who doesn’t look like Geralt. Same with Legend of Zelda.

Whereas in a game like MH it adds nothing to the experience to build a custom character from scratch. Same with Xenoblade X and others.

Last edited:

IAmRei

Why? There are people who loves to create character, to connect their self to the game by making their character unique to them. Its like an avatar for them. And as far as I know, there is healthy supply for both who loves character creation and preset character.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I'd say that for role-playing games having a custom character is better. You get far more rping possibilities with a blank slate.

And btw, I'd argue that ME's Shepard is a custom character, since you define it's gender, appearance, all kinds of skills and personality. It just so happens to be voiced.

Quantum253

Gold Member
We still have strong story driven characters. However, most people want a customized experience and personalized for their liking. Developers want to give you that option at a premium

NanaMiku

I never really like custom characters because in cutscenes and stories, it always looks strange. Your character looks just like hanging around with the other cast. Silent protagonist is also like this

Always hated custom characters - for most of the reasons you listed.

Also hate all the custom dress up or DLC costumes on fighting games.
Shit looks ridiculous. Would rather have them look like the artists intended.
I dont even play many new fighting games because of that junk.

Major reasons why modern gaming is so lame.
Ive felt like this for a long time now. It genuinely annoys me at this point. Bring back dedicated characters 🙏

Pejo

Gold Member
Agree OP, but have you seen the characters that modern day devs are creating these days? It's probably better this way.

Anytime a game has a character creator, I just use one of the pre-made templates. If it has a random option, I just click random until I see something decent.

thief183

It depends on the game, if it is a story driven game I will probably never play it, if it is an RPG I want to create my character.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I almost always leave the defaults character creation and would rather have a character with personality instead of "I put mine" bs, but it's ok to have options, there are lots of people who really like it... I think the only time it really harmed the for me was in Code Vein, I was looking the story and all good but the segments with people interacting with the silent custom made protagonist really felt too out of place and if rather have the mf yell "Kisamaaaa" or whatever in moments like when they reveal who df he is. Other than that it's pretty much harmless as long as you have an official "default" version that looks cool.

What really bothers me is weekend games ask you to put a name and there's no default official protagonist name, really hate it, I always think whatever I put it's wrong, for Persona 5 I googled the "official" name and used that, I don't like thinking on names nor I want to put myself into a game.

cireza

Gold Member
As years passed, I have personally learnt to prefer creating my character and building my story and background myself. I have replayed some older D&D games on MegaDrive and Sega-CD and loved the games, and each character actually built its own story because so much unpredictable shit happened during these games. It felt like a genuine tabletop adventure and I loved every second of it.

More recently, I found out that Code Vein had my favorite character creator to date. First of all, the characters you make look awesome and attractive, male or female. Secondly, the character is very well embedded in every single event (animation etc...), and is even integrated in the story with a "past arc" that gives him a background and explains his powers. This game is one of my favorites in recent years, it was simply excellent, I know that their are a lot of Souls games out there (and I played a ton of them), but Code Vein just nails it for me better than the others.

Of course having good main characters created by the developer can be fantastic, but they often end up being bland anyway, so that you can assimilate yourself to them. One notable counter-example though is Radiant Historia. The character, Locke, is one of the very best main characters I have seen in a RPG.

Filben

Your character is never going to convey interesting quirks or personality flaws, because again, almost by definition
Also, they can change from moment to moment and can be highly eratic, given the right circumstance and (gameplay) advantages. One moment you can play the holiest and most helpful person ever existed and the next a complete psychopath. There's nothing that keeps your character in check, so to speak, besides yourself.

There's only one recent example that does it a bit better: Broken Roads. There are four origin stories for your character available and independently of those you create your character who leans either into nihilism, machiavellianism, utilitarianism or humanism. Your character's beliefs are represented as a specturm so you can lean towards different moral philosophies but the more pronounced and consequent you lean into them, the more you're locked in that philosophiy; you won't able to act like the opposite. If nihilism is established strong enough, you can't answer/act in a humanistic way but still, to a certain degree, according to machiavellianism.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Same, same. I will always prefer a well written, fully realized character over a blank slate without any actual personality. I'm there to experience a well told story, not to RP as myself or whatever. I get enough of myself in the rest of my life.

It also kinda gives me anxiety to see a character creator, because if it's there I feel like I have to spend time making something good. Which I don't really want to do, I just want to play the game. Just give me the best character for the story you are trying to tell.

Last edited:

KXVXII9X

I don't get why more aren't like Mass Effect where you have a very very strong character in Shepard, but still technically create a character. Like even when you made choices they all felt like Shepherd making the choices, not you the player.
I still think Bioware had the right balance and is one reason I like Baldur's Gate 3 as well. The character felt like my own but had a personality and background to them.

Vampire Bloodlines was great in that regard. Not perfect but depending on your chosen class the dialog was different.

With the shift towards multiplayer and open world we get more of those empty hulls, that only have a gender and sexual preference as their only character trait (certainly game defining things lol), but the story driven games have not died out completely yet, so I don't think the current mix is entirely bad. It's more (barely plausible) strong independent women and political correct bland characters though. But i hope that is just a phase and we get back to actual strong women and actual variety that makes more sense at least within the game's own rule book.

Zannegan

Eh, given how poor game writing tends to be, I prefer a blank slate. Plus, I like creating a character in an RPG world. That's kind of the entire point. If I want to be told someone else's story, I'll stick to genres or even media that are more suited to linear storytelling.

With that said, I'd love it if games were more reactive to your choices. Sure, it's been done in a basic way before (eg Skyrim characters tend to be racist against Kajiit, orcs, etc.), but I'm looking for more. I want a next-level version of the nemesis system where NPC biases come into play in a more nuanced way and questlines are actually affected by your character's basic traits, choices, and regional reputation (including the idea that you probably won't have a rep with most people for most of the game... like, I probably shouldn't steal a sweetroll in one town and immediately get called out for thievery by an orphan digging in the mud in a town on the other side of the map). Alas, procedural generation and AI all seems to be aimed at creating assets at the moment or possibly run of the mill quests.

Character creation sucks and is a waste of time. Like 90% of the time, I don't even touch it, even if required. Just go with how the default character looks. Really comes as a cop out for devs that they can't make memorable characters imo.

Always thought it was funny too in a lot of games, they give you all these options to create a character, then next thing you know, you only see their back for the rest of the game.

Drew1440

I agree, I only just stick to the premade templates or the default assignments. You see this more and more because certain consultants think people want to play themselves in videogames, and if they don't see themselves represented they cannot enjoy the game.

Top Bottom