• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm surprised Viewtiful Joe hasn't been ported to modern consoles yet

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Capcom ported a lot of PS2/GC gen games to modern consoles like Okami, RE4, RE0, RE1 Remake, Onimusha, DMC 1-3, even MegaMan X7 and X8. But one glaring omission is Viewtiful Joe:

Hope we can get a Viewtiful Joe HD Collection.

(though tbh, I want a port of Haunting Ground and BoFV)

agreed , i started a thread about this a few months ago , i want my Viewtiful Joe 3 , i still have 1and 2 on Gamecube but i would love HD versions

TaroYamada

I remember this game being on a demo disk and it wiping my save for ratchet and clank, GTA & Midnight Club save never liked the franchise after that lol

Wow just found a post about it https://crappygames.miraheze.org/wiki/PlayStation_Underground_Holiday_2004_Demo_Disc
Hope you called Sony about it. They gave out free games because of this. I got Sly 2, which became my favorite 3D platformer ever at the time. I didn't even play the demo so I still had my saves!

GeekyDad

It was an OK game for its time. Nowadays there are much better options on the market.
for-god-sakes-just-kill-him_o_4988545.jpg

SkylineRKR

For an intense 2D (or 2.5D) action game with an amazing combo system? I really can't think of any recent ones.

I think there is none. VJ meshed 2d platforming with something like DMC. And it was incredibly tough. You can do some sick shit in this game. I never gave it enough time, while I did like it.

Shut0wen

Banned
Capcom ported a lot of PS2/GC gen games to modern consoles like Okami, RE4, RE0, RE1 Remake, Onimusha, DMC 1-3, even MegaMan X7 and X8. But one glaring omission is Viewtiful Joe:

Hope we can get a Viewtiful Joe HD Collection.

(though tbh, I want a port of Haunting Ground and BoFV)

This its a total crime capcom hasnt ever bothered with VJ other then adding him into MVC3, played it in ps2 afew years back and man that gane has aged so well just making it HD with the first 2 games for £60 is well worth it

mcjmetroid

Only a matter of time. Viewtiful Joe looks amazing in HD by the way through emulation.

It's the kind of announcement you want to time properly. Perhaps with a new switch revision etc.

NinjaBoiX

Really? Why are you surprised?

It’s a very niche game that didn’t sell particularly well, it makes perfect sense that it hasn’t been ported.

(Shame though, it’s pretty cool.)
What's surprising is that the first game even got a sequel...
lol

Kazza

I think there is none. VJ meshed 2d platforming with something like DMC. And it was incredibly tough. You can do some sick shit in this game. I never gave it enough time, while I did like it.

Yeah, I it was so hard that I confess that I quite at around level 3 :messenger_tears_of_joy: . That's not to say that I didn't like it though. There is "good" hard and "bad" hard, and this game is definitely the former. It's just that sometimes you are really in the mood for a challenging game where you need to spend a lot of time mastering the mechanics, and sometimes you're not. I still have my Gamecube copy, as I always wanted to come back to it sometime, but I think I might try the Dolphin emulated version now that I've got a decent PC. I'm sure it looks great in 4K.

yurinka

It's a shame but Viewtiful Joe games didn't sell well, so they stopped porting it everywhere and making sequels.

I'm surprised so many people seem to hate this game in this thread. I loved this series. It was very well received when it came out with a sequel, a half sequel, a spin off and even a TV show. I don't have the information but I believe it sold well too. So it is surprising that it never got a re-release or even a new entry.

I was playing the first game emulated a couple years back and even at 1080p it looked amazing. The art style really helps the visuals hold up.

Do it Capcom.

The DS game was surprisingly decent as well. Weird, but decent.

Bakkus

It’s a very niche game that didn’t sell particularly well, it makes perfect sense that it hasn’t been ported.
It wasn't very niche. Screwattack included it in their top 10 GameCube games which was made right when the console ended. These games were also on said list: RE4, Melee, Soul Calibur 2, Mario Sunshine, Zelda: Twilight Princess, Eternal Darkness, Animal Crossing, Metroid Prime, Ikaruga (now that's more niche, but Craig is a huge shmup fan).

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
It's kind of an orphan. The people who made it all went to Platinum, but Capcom owns the IP.

I always thought it was more style than substance too, but it seems prime for a Switch remaster or something at least.

GeekyDad

It's kind of an orphan. The people who made it all went to Platinum, but Capcom owns the IP.

I always thought it was more style than substance too, but it seems prime for a Switch remaster or something at least.
Have you played it, 'cause the combat and mechanics were excellent -- still are today.

Last edited:
Top Bottom